| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 3:54 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: How do "exercise doesn't matter" articles make you feel?
PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 12:05 pm 
Chip Strong

This is the latest one, but they pop up all the time:

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/11/1 ... ut-enigma/

I kind of hate them. At this point I'm mostly exercising to get stronger and feel better as opposed to "looking hot" and don't intend to stop, but I find stuff like this so discouraging and not necessarily helpful or even factual when they take a study of less than 200 people and distill it down to "fork it, you don't have to work out and if you do anyway it's a waste of time so let's all get drunk and eat cookies!"

Thoughts?

Post subject: Re: How do "exercise doesn't matter" articles make you feel?
PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 12:19 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

If you look at the actual study (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20689460), it's all with people between ages 40 and 67 which I think makes a big difference. By that point in life, most people have a slower metabolism and find it harder to gain muscle/strength. And if you're fighting being out of shape at that point in life, you might have the additional obstacles of arthritis, back pain or other age related ailments that prevent you from working out as hard as you would need to make a difference.

In any case, the main finding of the study is that it's hard to gain strength and endurance at the same time which I could have told you. Cardio is catabolic (eats muscle) and anabolic (muscle building) exercises generally don't do much for cardio endurance.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 12:30 pm 
Chip Strong

vegimator wrote:
If you look at the actual study (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20689460), it's all with people between ages 40 and 67 which I think makes a big difference. By that point in life, most people have a slower metabolism and find it harder to gain muscle/strength. And if you're fighting being out of shape at that point in life, you might have the additional obstacles of arthritis, back pain or other age related ailments that prevent you from working out as hard as you would need to make a difference.

In any case, the main finding of the study is that it's hard to gain strength and endurance at the same time which I could have told you. Cardio is catabolic (eats muscle) and anabolic (muscle building) exercises generally don't do much for cardio endurance.

Right, I also don't imagine these people were doing very challenging workouts, but I do hate how the overarching message and what the media latches onto is something as glib as "there's no point to exercise." (which is how it was essentially presented on the Gawker-esque blog I found it on)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 12:35 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

Yeah, I guess it's not much different from the periodic articles saying that drinking moderately (3 or so drinks a day!) is somehow good for you. People like to hear news that reinforces their bad habits.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 12:42 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

When I read stuff like that I get frustrated at first because I try pretty hard to stay healthy, but I try to keep in mind that I've learned to listen to my body and what it needs, and what it needs is lots of fruit and leafy greens, and exercise every day. Otherwise I get all crazy and bisque-y and feel cruddy. So even if others out there don't need it, I do. Period. And even if I'm not 100% on that all the time, it's an attainable goal and I can easily get back on track.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 12:53 pm 
Chip Strong

vegimator wrote:
Yeah, I guess it's not much different from the periodic articles saying that drinking moderately (3 or so drinks a day!) is somehow good for you. People like to hear news that reinforces their bad habits.

Exactly, you just hit the nail on the head about why stuff like this bothers me. I don't trust anything that lets us all off the hook so easily.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 6:34 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

I feel like crepe when I don't work out so articles like this don't get to me-but it is annoying when someday you know and love is living in bad health because they don't believe there is a point in trying. There's always conflicting studies.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 9:06 am 
Saggy Butt

These articles make me feel like health reporters are bad at their jobs. Of course most health reporting makes me feel like that, so.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 9:20 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

vegimator wrote:

Everyone age 40 to 67 has a slower metabolism and find it harder to gain muscle? There is a huge variation in people and you're classifying them all together. "At that point in life"? 40 to 67 is the same "point in life"? Forty year olds having arthritis? You're overgeneralizing.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 9:37 am 
Bathes in Braggs

celyn wrote:
vegimator wrote:

Everyone age 40 to 67 has a slower metabolism and find it harder to gain muscle? There is a huge variation in people and you're classifying them all together. "At that point in life"? 40 to 67 is the same "point in life"? Forty year olds having arthritis? You're overgeneralizing.

I am at that point in life. I am 45 and my honey is 52. We both see a huge benefit to exercise. When life gets busy and we don't get our work outs in, there is a huge difference in our energy level, stamina, sleep patterns and attitudes. Too many people use these articles as an excuse not to exercise which is only harming themselves. Many reporters and others in the media are more concerned with selling than informing.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 9:46 am 
Baking In The Flavor

celyn wrote:
vegimator wrote:

I think what he said was, "most people have a slower metabolism" and they "might have arthritis and back pain if they've been overweight." I don't really see that as overgeneralizing?

And it's true that for almost everybody, metabolism has slowed significantly by the time they're 40 and again by the time they're 60 and it is more difficult for this population to build muscle than it is for younger populations, which isn't to say it's impossible or even difficult, just more difficult. Also, yes, if a person has been overweight all of his/her life, it would not be abnormal for that person to start feeling some arthritis and back pain.

I don't mind the study, but it is ridiculous for it to be presented in a way that implies exercise doesn't matter when we have a billion other studies showing that exercise does matter, and it matters hugely.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 9:49 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Veg-in-Training wrote:
celyn wrote:
vegimator wrote:

I am at that point in life. I am 45 and my honey is 52. We both see a huge benefit to exercise. When life gets busy and we don't get our work outs in, there is a huge difference in our energy level, stamina, sleep patterns and attitudes. Too many people use these articles as an excuse not to exercise which is only harming themselves. Many reporters and others in the media are more concerned with selling than informing.

Right! And plenty of people who are not in this category love to classify it neatly, but it's not so simple.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 12:04 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Veg-in-Training wrote:
When life gets busy and we don't get our work outs in, there is a huge difference in our energy level, stamina, sleep patterns and attitudes.

This is totally it for me. Exercise may not help me lose weight and maybe it won't add years to my life, but it makes me feel noticeably better on a day to day basis, and that makes it all worth it.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 12:09 pm 
Had sex with a vampire that sparkles.

Good about myself

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 5:49 pm 
WELFARIST!

molly wrote:
Veg-in-Training wrote:
When life gets busy and we don't get our work outs in, there is a huge difference in our energy level, stamina, sleep patterns and attitudes.

This is totally it for me. Exercise may not help me lose weight and maybe it won't add years to my life, but it makes me feel noticeably better on a day to day basis, and that makes it all worth it.

Yeah. Any day suddenly becomes cast in a more positive light after I've exercised. I can't think of a single time I've left a gym feeling mindfully worse than I did going in. Not one occasion and I've been exercising regularly since 1993. My body might be (slightly) more tired, but my spirits are raised every time, without exception and usually I'm more energized post-exercise rather than exhausted anyway. I find myself buzzing through my work or whatever I have to do with more vigor post exercise.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 7:31 am 
Hearts James Cromwell

Sadly, most people don't give a flying fork about health and they tend to be lazy too so anything that reassures this attitude is going to be popular. Very annoying...

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 8:33 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Okay, biggest issue is that this is ONE study. One study that basically says that people respond to exercise in many different ways. Good for them, but how many bajillion studies are out there saying that exercise (and an active lifestyle in general) is extremely beneficial? Yes, most health issues are multifactorial, but what do you expect!
Exercise is proven to help prevent/resolve/help with high blood pressure, cardiovascular disease in general, diabetes, osteoporosis, cancer, aging, and the list goes on and on... I've been listening to the professors go on and on about the importance of exercise for about 40 hrs/wk for the last 3 months and I'm sure that they haven't even begun to quote the amount of research out there.
People want to hear that they can be healthy without putting the time into exercise, but also people want to hear that they can have schools, roads, and Medicare without taxes. And I can tell you, it isn't happening.

(Ugh, in case you haven't noticed this kind of stuff really annoys me. Sorry, to get ranty on you all...)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 8:43 am 
Saggy Butt

The study actually seems well done to me, but I don't know much about physiology research methods. Their purpose in doing the study was that since exercise IS important, especially in preventing/managing aging-related diseases, people should have more individually-tailored exercise programs to ensure that they get those benefits. They basically show that the response varies so much, that exercise recommendations really shouldn't be made on the mean response to exercise in other studies. This seems completely reasonable to me.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 8:57 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

paperweight wrote:
The study actually seems well done to me, but I don't know much about physiology research methods. Their purpose in doing the study was that since exercise IS important, especially in preventing/managing aging-related diseases, people should have more individually-tailored exercise programs to ensure that they get those benefits. They basically show that the response varies so much, that exercise recommendations really shouldn't be made on the mean response to exercise in other studies. This seems completely reasonable to me.

Yes, full agreement here.
The study is good, the article about the study annoyed me.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 1:38 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

vegimator wrote:

Word.

Now go eat some vegan food and don't complain about the world.
-Claire Galant, T.O.F.U Magazine