| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 1:57 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: runner's knee (IT band issues)
PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 4:09 pm 
Memorized Veganomicon

anyone dealing/dealt with this?

I was up to running over 7 miles at a time (from not ever being a runner before about March) with absolutely no problems. Then, during a run, I got this pain on the outside of my knee. Did a 5k a week or so later and it popped up again (this time in both knees). Ever since I cannot run more than about 2.5 miles without having to stop due to the pain.

I have tried rest, an IT band strap that sits a bit higher than the knee, some stretches, a foam roller and some exercises without any success (although I will be the first to admit I haven't done anything on a regular basis). I was loving running and miss it big time now (never thought I'd ever say that).

Am I doomed or is there hope? Any success stories?

Post subject: Re: runner's knee (IT band issues)
PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 4:11 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

My boyfriend is dealing with this right now, too. He was up to about 10 miles at a time, and has been a runner for YEARS, but this is the first time this has come up for him. He went to his doctor, they gave him some stretches to do and told him to take pain killers when he runs (but he can't make it more than a mile or two even then.)

He's been sticking to an eliptical machine or bike. I'll be checking this thread for answers, too, becuase he misses running like crazy!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 4:29 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

use a foam roller!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 6:48 pm 
Saggy Butt

I have a problem with my knee (i think it's the IT band but i'm not sure) and have had to back way off on running over the last 2 years. I did 6 weeks of physical therapy last year that helped a lot but i have to keep up on the exercises and be really careful not to overtrain. If i slack off the pain returns and it sucks. But there's hope! See a doctor!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 7:08 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

Take a break! I am slowly getting over this problem after 9 months. For 6 months i couldn't even walk without pain. Go to physio if possible, the foam roller works well among other exercises. I also ice a lot, take anti-inflammatory medicine and get acupuncture. I believe it is possible to damage the cartilage if it gets to out of control and you don't want that to happen!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 7:13 pm 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

Yes, take a break and do some other kind of exercise that doesn't impact your knee (spinning, yoga, whatever) until it's heeled. Then build up slowly to running again. I've not had the knee problem (so far, knock on wood). But when I first started running I developed plantar fascitis (heel spur) and that was how I dealt with it. I think it took me 6 - 10 months of spinning and yoga, but then finally it was better. It's been a few years now and it hasn't come back.

ETA: I know it can suck to take it easy and not run because of an injury. Though it's hard it helps me to try to focus on the main goal which is to be fit and healthy.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 7:34 pm 
Tofu Pup

I had an IT band injury last year. I saw a physical therapist who gave me several exercises to do daily. These were helpful, as was icing the area, using a foam roller, and making changes to my workout routine until the injury healed, which took about 8 weeks from the start of treatment. Best of luck to you.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:24 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

I'm not sure if this helps because it may be a totally different injury...but i've suffered from a couple of different knee problems in my time. The most recent one was after getting back into exercising 5 times a week after not doing much for quite a while. I would get slight pain when I started running, and then it would get so sharp I'd have to stop. It turned out to be partly to do with tightness in my quads, but mostly to do with not having enough strength in the knee especially the ligaments. I was given lots of exercises, single and double leg squats, lunges, etc and I was told to only do them until I felt pain, and just increase the load until I could do more and more. It definitely worked for me!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 3:40 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

I had an ITB issue last year. I couldn't run more than 2 miles without pain. I tried taking time off and doing some stretches I found online, but nothing worked. Eventually I saw a physical therapist who gave me some more intense stretching exercises and some strenthening exercises as well. Those along with an ITB strap allowed me to be back up to a 5-mile run in about 6 weeks.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 10:21 am 
Memorized Veganomicon

Thanks for all the great suggestions and for sharing your experiences.

Those of you who have overcome their issues...is it like you are back to normal or is like a nagging issue that you need to completely stay on top of?

I had plantar fasciitis issues a few years ago but after treatment it rarely ever bothers me now. I'm hoping I can put runner's knee behind me, too.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 9:36 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

I've been dealing with ITBS since April. New shoes, stretching, some physio and exercises have helped, but it's not gone in the least.

The worst part of the whole thing is worrying that it's my knee, not my fitness, that will require me to stop running/slow down. On my long runs all I do is hope and wish my knee doesn't flare up so I can continue running. It sucks!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:55 pm 
Memorized Veganomicon

almiratanner wrote:
I've been dealing with ITBS since April. New shoes, stretching, some physio and exercises have helped, but it's not gone in the least.

The worst part of the whole thing is worrying that it's my knee, not my fitness, that will require me to stop running/slow down. On my long runs all I do is hope and wish my knee doesn't flare up so I can continue running. It sucks!

That's how I feel now when I run....I am constantly thinking/worrying about my knees. I'm sure that is making the pain come quicker and hurt more just from the power of suggestion but I can't help it.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 1:22 pm 
Saggy Butt

evolution wrote:

Those of you who have overcome their issues...is it like you are back to normal or is like a nagging issue that you need to completely stay on top of?

Nagging. I think about it while i'm running and if I overdo it, the pain comes back.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 6:35 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

Injuries super suck but I think they're good for reminding us that we have to treat our bodies right if we want to stay active. The things a lot of people do to heal from an injury are often things we should have been doing all along.

I'd say go to the doctor if you can to make sure it isn't something else.

If it is indeed runner's knee, definitely lots of stretching and rolling every day. It's also really important to do strength training to strengthen the muscles around the knee--doing just one form of exercise will over-strengthen one group of muscles while usually leaving the opposing set weak, which will inevitably lead to instability and injury. Reformer Pilates (reformer specific because there's more resistance leg work than in mat) has helped my knees tremendously, but running websites or a physical therapist would be able to help you with exercises you can do on your own. Also, make sure you have the right shoes. Perfect your gait. Start back slow and baby it. Once you can start running again, keep doing all of this stuff. It might feel like a pain in the butt but it's worth it to keep doing what you love.