| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Aug 29, 2014 5:37 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: how to start running
PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2010 1:51 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

I want to start running, but have no motivation and get overwhelmed. I also hate running. How did you do it, those of you who were like me and now like running? I want to run because I prefer exercise outdoors, I can get more benefits/results in less time than walking, everyone I know who has started running has lost weight/got more fit pretty quickly, it is healthy and low cost. I practice yoga regularly, but need to add in more regular and vigourous cardio, hence the running plan. Any advice?

Post subject: Re: how to start running
PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2010 2:12 pm 
Ignore this!

Have you checked out the Couch to 5k training program? I know many people who have done it successfully. (I used to run, but due to various joint problems I stopped last year.)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2010 4:09 pm 
Chard Martyr

Or maybe try "Walk, Jog, Run?" I have a friend who used this program to calculate the distance of her walks, she started walking/jogging, then more jogging than walking, then running. Similar to what I imagine the Couch to 5k program is, but it will figure out distances around your neighborhood for you if you want to run outside.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2010 4:27 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

I have done couch to 5k and I loved it. You will be surprised by how quickly you get faster and running gets easier.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2010 4:31 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

http://www.runforlife.ca/running-progra ... rn-to-run/

THis is what I started with.. I loved following this, as it made it so much easier.. I even was taking my 2 little ones in the jogging stroller every morning-that's how much I learned to love running..

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 2:36 am 
Chip Strong

I've been running for years and years so I don't really know how I started. Running in school maybe? But the ideas the other posters have given about starting with a run/walk program is very smart. Couch to 5km is a great one.

I think that a lot of people give up on running when they first start because its hard and uncomfortable and it just isn't fun. Easing into it should help. Running is hard and totally not enjoyable for a lot of people when they first start.

I swear there is this magical hump in running where you go from "this is torture! No one is chasing me! When will it be over?" to "wow! I'm just cruising along here, feeling fine. Running is fun and ohh...look at that bird" Its just a challenge to stick to it until you get to that point. Running can be so rewarding. Start slow. Relax and watch yourself get better and better.

You might want to give these a read:
http://www.runnersworld.com/subtopic/0, ... -0,00.html
They are called "the newbie chronicles" and are a column in Runner's World Magazine written by a new runner where he chronicles his journey from couch potato to runner. Start with the articles at the bottom of the page. They are funny and heartwarming.

Good luck!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 1:48 pm 

Good advice all around here. I would only add be sure to start out by running slowly. So many people think they have to run at a full sprint, and wonder why on earth they're so tired at the end of a short distance. The Couch to 5k program by Cool Running is pretty popular and how I started a couple of years ago. The goal should be to push yourself just a bit outside of your comfort zone, and to choose whether you'd like to go faster or farther - not both at the same time - so that you always want to run again.

Also, I would invest in a good pair of running shoes and a pair of technical (no cotton) socks. Go to a running store (not a general shoe store - their staff are not trained well enough.) A running store will have folks who can analyze your gait and tell you what kind of support your feet need. Very important to avoid injury. Also, you'll want to track the miles on your shoes. After 300-500 miles (depends on the runner) the supportive material wears out and you'll need new ones to give your feet the support they need.

Finally, start a journal, like at DailyMile.com or another free running site. You can record how far you've gone. It's really helpful for identifying problems (e.g. something starts getting sore, you'll know if an increase in mileage might be the culprit), keeping track of your shoe mileage (see above) and it's also just a great reminder of how much you've accomplished. Have fun!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:46 am 
Frees Bunny Slippers

a running buddy? so it is not only you and your weaker self.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:43 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Yes! Couch to 5k! I hated running and now I love it.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:59 pm 
Has Isa on speed dial

I have always HATED running, but I decided last March that I wanted to be a runner. So I started one of those couch-to-5k programs online but ALSO signed up for a 10k in October. I had college friends sign up too and plan to come in town to visit me and run with me. The combination of having other people count on me, and not wanting to completely humiliate myself, kept me training and running. And I finished the 10k!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:40 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

Nummers wrote:
Have you checked out the Couch to 5k training program? I know many people who have done it successfully. (I used to run, but due to various joint problems I stopped last year.)

Cto5k got me running farther than I've ever run in my life! I went from huffing and puffing through a mile to being able to run 5 miles, and this podcast got me through the first part of that. Definitely great. It kept me from overexerting myself and getting frustrated in the first few weeks, which I think is so essential for someone who's just starting out.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 4:16 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

I've been wanting to try running for a while now, too. I've had thoughts of pulling on my sneakers and just going out there and doing it, but I've never found the motivation to actually go through with it. Maybe I'll give the C25K a try to give me some structure.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 4:29 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

studio wrote:
I swear there is this magical hump in running where you go from "this is torture! No one is chasing me! When will it be over?" to "wow! I'm just cruising along here, feeling fine. Running is fun and ohh...look at that bird" Its just a challenge to stick to it until you get to that point. Running can be so rewarding. Start slow. Relax and watch yourself get better and better.

This. And once the endorphins really start pumping, you'll look forward to it (or at least the feeling you have afterward and will be willing enough to get through the run for that).

One of the first times I've made a go at running (I've made many attempts, then become sick/busy/or some other lame excuse and got out of shape) I was in this alternative gym class in high school. I always wanted to take journalism, theater, and fun electives, so I paid to get my gym credits out of the way during the summer, and it was worth it as we actually worked out a lot! We would run for a little under 4 miles, then lift weights, then play some kind of sport (usually tennis or volleyball). When I was finally getting into the swing of things, I was able to keep up with the teacher. While we were running, he suggested a breathing technique that really helped me. It's in two (short short) out two, (short short) then one in (long) and out (long). The rhythm of it really helped me get over any out of breathness and is kind of meditative, which if you're a yoga fan, may appeal to you.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 5:38 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Another one in support of couch to 5k! I like that it's a structured program, and it's do-able and not too intimidating.

I couldn't run further than a quarter mile before I started two years ago. I did a 5k at the end with no problems and haven't stopped since!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 1:43 pm 
Chip Strong

it's been a long time since i fell in love with running (when i joined the cross country team in 9th grade), but i still remember how NOT fun it was for the first few weeks. i thought it was boring torture and everybody just pretended to like it. then, all of a sudden my body was in running shape, and now i've been running for almost 15 years and i'm miserable if i can't run for some reason. i would really recommend doing whatever you can to convince yourself that you will come to that realization once you make it through those first few weeks. run/walk intervals are a good idea.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 2:00 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

I really want to love running too. There are so many benefits! I am going to try the C25K this week.

Gumboots & Cats Facebook Page
http://www.gumbootsandcats.tumblr.com/
http://www.gumbootsandcats.blogspot.com/
http://www.gumbootscatsvegansnacks.wordpress.com/

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 7:41 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

This is an awesome and inspiring thread. I've been doing hot yoga every day over break, and when I return to Portland and am going to start the C25K.

Any suggestions for running on a track vs. on the street? I have both options, but don't know which is better and would love your thoughts.

Thanks everyone!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 8:09 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

I really hated it when I first started for at least the first month, I think that everybody does ha ha! I used to run 2 lampposts, walk one, then build up from there until I could run non stop. I also think music helps! Nothing like some good hardcore to keep me going.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 8:39 pm 
Has Isa on speed dial

i want to start running, but i can't afford running shoes at the moment and everyone says they're a must have!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:55 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

Personally, I hate running on concrete because it feels like repeatedly slamming your legs onto... well... concrete! I also prefer outdoor exercise so I run at a huge beautiful park with a nice gravel track. I admit lately I've gotten out of the running habit, but I always had more success when I ran with a friend; I'm the type of person that needs competition to keep me going. I would also suggest making a schedule and sticking to it; otherwise, it's far too easy to put off that hour run to tomorrow.

And for those people who achieve "zen" running status, tell me your secret! I've been running in some form or another (mostly for soccer) my whole life and have never achieved this magical moment.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 3:31 pm 

molasses jane wrote:
This is an awesome and inspiring thread. I've been doing hot yoga every day over break, and when I return to Portland and am going to start the C25K.

Any suggestions for running on a track vs. on the street? I have both options, but don't know which is better and would love your thoughts.

Nice! Just from my experience - there are pros and cons to each. It's really nice to have both options to be able to switch it up!

Track pros: You know exactly what distance you're going (each lap is exactly 400 meters, or about 1/4 mile, I think.) Also, the track surface is built for running. You can also do fun things with the track, like speed work, as you move beyond couch to 5k (or before if you want to.)
Track cons: 1) Running in circles gets boring fast. 2) If you use the track exclusively and run the same direction around the track all the time (which you'd have to do if you're sharing the track with others), the constant left or right turns can begin to strain the hip facing the inside of the track. Estimate about 24 turns (2 turns per lap, 4 laps per mile) to equal three miles. 3) Can't do hill work on the track, and hills make you stronger and a better runner.

Street running pros: Much more variety and a variety of different routes. Also, you can build in hills. (BTW, nobody said you had to run full speed up the entire hill at first, either... you can set smaller goals like running for 30 second or the first quarter of the hill, then move it up 10 or 15 seconds at a time. Be patient. Your body will adapt!)
Street running cons: Be careful of uneven sidewalks. You'll have to map your route ahead of time if you want to be sure you made a particular distance goal. And of course you have to be very aware of the neighborhood and your surroundings.

Just my $.02. Let us know how it goes!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:59 am 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

I just downloaded Couch to 10K. I can't wait to start next week!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 3:23 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

so i uploaded the Couch to 5K app from FeltTipInc(or Co, whatevs). i did my first go on Monday. it freakin' beat me up. i suppose it didn't help that my neighborhood has a lot of inclines. so i walked mostly and then i stopped about 7 minutes early.
and i'm missing the 2nd work out today...
so...we'll see...