| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:54 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 110 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: hula-hooping
PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 6:34 pm 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

Also, you know what's fun? Hooping topless. I can't do a whole lot of moves in my room anyway, so I just hoop in my underwear. It's fun to spin around and since you're nakey the hoop pretty much travels upwards on its own. Centrifugal force is fun!

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 7:00 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

Thanks so much for the reponse! Hooping topless, haha sounds fun. Reminds of the youtube video of the girl doing the Wii Fit in her underwear.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 4:28 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

I made a hoop! First pancake never turns out right; must be the same with hoops. Its really ugly and too light but I made it so I like it. :) I will make another this weekend and it will be much better. I'm gonna weight it with sand or something. The hardware store only had one size of tube (1/2 inch).

Off to google tricks! Yay!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 4:37 pm 

If you use water, you can drain it out later by drilling a hole in the tube - so i'd do that instead of sand.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 1:39 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Oh hey! My class went... alright. There was one person who showed up, despite the large amount of interest there had been in taking it. So we're changing the day/time so more people can attend!

I can't remember now where exactly I read it, but there's someone (I want to say SaFire, though it might have just been someone else on the Hoop City website) who recommends hooping naked... even if just once, to feel the freedom. I'll stick with hooping in my underwear in our empty bedroom!

In other news... I won a free hoop in the Hoop City monthly challenge raffle... and I hadn't even realized I entered! Exciting.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 7:19 pm 
Inflexitarian

I've been hooping for a few weeks now (38", one inch) and loooove it. I'm indoors, so just stick to the waist; it's definitely making a difference to the muscles in that area, and maybe to my thighs. Realistically, does/can hooping burn off much energy, or does it mostly just tone you up a little bit? I've read stuff online that seems a bit too good to be true, and I've still been counting on other exercise for my cardio...

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 4:55 pm 
Tofu Pup

You know what's funny? I've read this thread yesterday (after a long absence from the forum) and it totally talked to me!! I've watched a couple videos on youtube and made a quick research in my area and guess what? There's a 4 evening 2 hours class starting this evening! And i'm so going!! :) Haven't touched a hoop since I was maybe 10.. but whatever, I think it's gonna be fun! They will have a hoop for me too, as I don't have one yet.

Thank you for sharing your videos and your enthousiasm :)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 5:17 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

missopposite wrote:
You know what's funny? I've read this thread yesterday (after a long absence from the forum)

I just read this thread today after a long absebce from the forum! :D I am so dorkily excited about other ppk hoopers.

Drossie wrote:
I've been hooping for a few weeks now (38", one inch) and loooove it. I'm indoors, so just stick to the waist; it's definitely making a difference to the muscles in that area, and maybe to my thighs. Realistically, does/can hooping burn off much energy, or does it mostly just tone you up a little bit? I've read stuff online that seems a bit too good to be true, and I've still been counting on other exercise for my cardio...

In my experience, it depends what you do -- chest-hooping really gets me out of breath and I've heard (from the guy who sold my my hoops) it is great exercise to use two hoops and try to work them up and down your body independently (I totally cannot do that yet) -- but if I just hoop and read, it's more of a toning-thing.

The main reason I love hooping is it doesn't seem like exercise because I have so much fun trying to do different tricks. Although I'm sometimes worried about taking out a light when I attempt wild arm tricks that go awry.

Also:
mrsbadmouth wrote:
but then my father-in-law was like, "So I watched you hula hoop the other day." And I was like, "Oh, that's not creepy."

*dies laughing* I am totally saving that response for something. But -ugh- I would not want my FIL to secretly watch me hoop! ;p

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 11:55 am 

TheCrabbyCrafter wrote:
Also:
mrsbadmouth wrote:
but then my father-in-law was like, "So I watched you hula hoop the other day." And I was like, "Oh, that's not creepy."

*dies laughing* I am totally saving that response for something. But -ugh- I would not want my FIL to secretly watch me hoop! ;p

Well he wasn't TRYING to be a creep. Also I haven't hooped outside of a little bit in my bedroom for a long time, because my neighbor's creepy brother moved in and he's unemployed, during the day he's out back doing yard work and at night he's out there smoking pot.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 12:02 pm 
Tofu Pup

Today I don't seem to have any bruises but I have something like a.. hmm.. suffering belt :) Can't wait to buy my own hoop though! In a couple days :)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 3:18 am 
Hearts James Cromwell

I went to my first hoop workshop yesterday and I am so stiff and bruised today. 2 hours was a long time but lots of fun. I don't think I have laughed that much for a while and think if I try and go to another one it will really help with my confidence. I always pretty much hated P.E. at school so physical activity is not my strong point. Louizilla's video is amazing. How long have you been hooping for?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 10:54 am 
Bathes in Braggs

Buying my first hoop today! I'm really excited about this. I have a big back yard, and I think this is the perfect stress-reliever/exercise-motivator I'll need after work.

I'm getting mine from Hoop Mamas here: http://www.etsy.com/shop/HoopMamas She's having a sale, too!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 5:38 pm 
Inflexitarian

TheCrabbyCrafter wrote:
Drossie wrote:

In my experience, it depends what you do -- chest-hooping really gets me out of breath and I've heard (from the guy who sold my my hoops) it is great exercise to use two hoops and try to work them up and down your body independently (I totally cannot do that yet) -- but if I just hoop and read, it's more of a toning-thing.

Bummer — part of me was hoping against hope. Maybe one day I'll dare to go to a studio or hoop in a park or something, and practise some tricks. Until then, I'll treat it as a bit of fun with minor physical benefits. I do often waist-hoop to the point of breaking a sweat, but part of that is being in a warmish room.

The HoopMamas travel hoops — I am tempted. I'd seen the kind that break into separate parts, but this seems like it would work better.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 5:52 pm 
Hearts James Cromwell

I got a purple sparkly hoop for Christmas!!!!!! Has anyone been hooping over the holidays? I've got limited space till it warms up and I can do it outside.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 9:23 am 
Huffs Nooch

I am attempting to make a hoop next week for my friends birthday, assuming I can get the correct tubing! Bit nervous mine won't even turn out in a circle though

I haven't been practicing too much with mine, I really need to make myself a smaller one while I am at it

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 10:20 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I'm reviving this thread because I decided for Mother's day that I finally wanted to get/make a hoop. I've wanted to do this forever and since we wound up staying in this weekend, it seemed like a great solution for me. I just made it because my love of getting out cheap is only eclipsed by my need for instant gratification. I didn't actually measure the diameter, I just kinda hack-sawed what seemed like a good amount and stuck it together. I figure I'll make sure I can actually use it before I stock up on tape so I have a decidedly ugly hoop. I had to buy 100 feet so I have plenty to make MORE hoops with! I arbitrarily went with 3/4, 100 psi. I know that's recommended for more advanced folks, but the other tubing was just so huge I couldn't imagine not hating it.

I'm pretty excited, I can keep it up for about as long as I want although I can tell it will be a while before getting any tricks out of it...

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 8:06 pm 

I'm getting new music to get me re-energized about hooping, i'm not really a dance music kind of girl so I dig through these mash-up compliations that have parts of songs I like, then listen to them and put together my own special playlist:

http://mashupyourbootz.blogspot.com

(Mash-ups are totally legal, btw)

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 9:22 am 
Aired her grievances, lost the feat of strength

I found a hula hoop on my friends roof the other day & gave it a try. I managed to keep it going for about 20 minutes and it was really fun so I'm going to buy a hoop!

I'm thinking this one http://www.oddballs.co.uk/break-apart-1 ... -3560.html but is a break apart one normal? It seems to be the only kind the store near me sells apart from a folding travel hoop.

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 1:49 pm 
Hearts James Cromwell

Jojo, you could try contacting Dreamspin hoop dance. Shes from Brighton and a great teacher. I got my hoop from her. Someone at my class had an oddballs one and was a better hooper than me so they must be fine too.

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 3:02 pm 

jojo wrote:
I found a hula hoop on my friends roof the other day & gave it a try. I managed to keep it going for about 20 minutes and it was really fun so I'm going to buy a hoop!

I'm thinking this one http://www.oddballs.co.uk/break-apart-1 ... -3560.html but is a break apart one normal? It seems to be the only kind the store near me sells apart from a folding travel hoop.

I think a lot of online sellers automatically make travel hoops because it is so much easier to ship. I don't know about the UK, but here they changed shipping laws so it is now impossible to ship a hoop via the post office, and incredibly expensive via UPS because even though it's only an inch or two wide, they take the largest measurement and that's how they get the price. I made a friend three hula hoops and ended up having to keep them and make three new ones that I sent coiled down and in a frame box, with connectors and extra tape so she could finish putting them together.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 12:35 pm 
Aired her grievances, lost the feat of strength

Eeeek my bff's (baps, MessyVeggie & holylopez) bought me a hoop for my birthday! It's pink & black & I love it!

MBM, that makes sense, I saw the box my hoop came in & it was huge!

indigozo I'm definitely going to look into some local hooping classes, I did some hooping in my street yesterday (my house & garden are too small!) & a riot cop told me I had 'the skills'!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 2:43 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

I hooped off and on casually last summer, but i really hope to focus on hooping this summer. I've been spending hours looking at hoop themed tumblrs and watching hoop/dance videos and it's seriously so inspiring! I'm hoping to make my own hoop with my next paycheck. I don't have a whole lot of room, (I live in a tiny 2 bedroom apt. with four other people,) and don't really have a yard, but I might just hang out at parks all summer and be a happy hooper.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:56 am 
Level 7 Vegan

I jumped into hula hooping 4 months ago and I'm addicted. I bought a 38" hoop from a teacher and a 42" travel hoop from hoopnotica.

I'm so into it that I think I'm going to pay a ton of money to go to "hoop camp" at the end of September in Santa Cruz.

I can't hoop in my apartment, so I have to go to parks. Which is good and bad. I'm finding the summer heat WEARS me out really quickly.

I think hooping really inspires me because learning new tricks is a challenge. Cognitively and physically. And I love a good challenge!

Anyway, happy to see all these hoopers!!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:04 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

mrsbadmouth wrote:
I'm getting new music to get me re-energized about hooping, i'm not really a dance music kind of girl so I dig through these mash-up compliations that have parts of songs I like, then listen to them and put together my own special playlist:

http://mashupyourbootz.blogspot.com

(Mash-ups are totally legal, btw)

YES! Music is so crucial for me! When I get a couple new songs I really like, you better believe I'm going to jam out.

I've been trying to find new music that inspires me and it's kind of hard. I thought if I got itunes Genuis going it would recommend good songs, but it doesn't really nail it.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:01 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I've been neglecting PPK partially because of my love for hooping! I just ordered a fire hoop and am SO EXCITED (and a little scared).

I'll definitely have to check out your link MBM, I love mashups (there was some site I got a bunch of them from a while back, but I can't remember what it was)! I usually tend to hoop to a lot of dubstep, but I'm always down for anything and always on the lookout for something new.

Also, Bekki, I know this is really delayed... but 3/4 is totally what I recommend for new hoopers! That's what my first few hoops were; I just recently downsized to 1/2 inch which is my new love. 1" is just really big and heavy and awkward, it's fun to play around with a little (sooo slow and meditative) but I don't recommend it for everyday hooping.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 110 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next