| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:19 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 110 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
 Post subject: Re: hula-hooping
PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 3:13 pm 
And you never will.

Oh hi, I just bought my first hoop! I'm a little unsure though, because I have zero experience hooping, but I think it might be a little too small or light or something? After 15 minutes of trying, I couldn't keep it up longer than 5 seconds. I know it will take practice, but I didn't expect it to be this hard. Someone local made it, and she said it was perfect for beginners, but maybe she wasn't counting on me being so tall? When I stand it up it only comes about 3" below my belly button.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 3:39 pm 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

That is WAY too small even if you're not a total beginner. If you're just starting out, the bigger the better. Most guides recommend a hoop that comes between your belly button and right under your boobs, and obviously for newbies right under your boobs is better. As long as you didn't scrape any of the tape off, i'd take it back and exchange it (and maybe ask her why she's giving you a hoop that sounds like it would be perfect for a child).

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 3:56 pm 
And you never will.

Oh my god, thank you. I'm so glad you said that, because I was really afraid that I'm just hopeless at it! I'm going to text her ASAP and ask her to either make me a bigger one or just take this one back. I measured it and it's 37". I definitely should have done more research first rather than just take her word for it.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 4:08 pm 

Obviously if you're really tall or really short that rule can be bent, like a six foot person doesn't need a hoop so big it comes up to their chest and a five foot person will need one possibly higher than their chest. The weight of the tubing and the size of it can factor into the ease of keeping the hoop up too. A bigger, heavier hoop will travel slower so you have to put in less work to actually keeping it up and can focus on technique and learning to move around with the hoop. Here's some good info:

http://www.hooping.org/2011/02/hoop-size-demystified/

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 4:09 pm 
And you never will.

Okay, she said she'll make me a new one as soon as she gets more tubing! I measured and my belly button is 40" and right under my boobs is 50", so what do you think I should tell her? Maybe split the difference and say 45"?

ETA: I didn't see that last post! Thank you, I'll check it out.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 4:24 pm 
And you never will.

She also said she can add water to make it heavier if I want. Do you think I should do that? This is all so new to me!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 5:08 pm 

I don't think it's really necessary, the only person I made a water hoop for was Brian's grandma just because she's old and moves slower. But if you do add water you can always lighten your hoop by drilling a small hole in it and letting the water drain out.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 5:36 pm 
And you never will.

Good to know. I think I'll skip the water. I have some time to tell her the size I want, so I'm doing some more research, but since I'm plus sized and have a bigger waist than most people, it seems bigger is definitely going to be better. A lot of plus sized hoopers seem to go as high as 50", so I'm not really sure what I want to do yet.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:29 pm 
And you never will.

I got my new hoop today! It's 44" and filled with water. I didn't actually ask for the water, but she put it in anyway, so I'm just going with it. It's really heavy, but I kept it up for like 2 minutes earlier (which is 2 minutes longer than I've ever kept a hoop up), so I guess that's good. I can already tell my midsection is going to be so sore for a while, but once I'm really comfortable with keeping it up I'm going to drain the water out so it's not so heavy. Woo!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:58 pm 

Oh yes, you will bruise. And when you get sick of waist hooping you can just do the thing I said and drill a small hole and drain it.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 110 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5