| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:13 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4009 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 117, 118, 119, 120, 121, 122, 123 ... 161  Next
 Post subject: Re: Your workout today
PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 12:25 am 
Dead by dawn

71 mile ride, 1.5 mile run

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 6:12 pm 
Dead by dawn

9 mile run

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 11:44 pm 
Chard Martyr

Today 40 min cycle and 40 min tennis.

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 12:06 am 
Lubes With Earth Balance

Yesterday was an upper body workout (chins, lat pulldowns, sitting barbell shoulder press, barbell row, dumbbell chest press, dumbbell flyes, barbell bicep curls and dumbbell skull crushers). Upped the weights/reps on all exercises except bicep curls, where I did the same amount of reps with the same weight as last time but with improved technique.

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 10:43 pm 
Dead by dawn

~5 mile track workout. Main set was 3x1 mile at threshold

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 11:11 pm 
Chard Martyr

Yesterday strength training 1 hr
Today cycling 40 min.

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 1:21 am 
Grandfathered In

Day 80 of The Plod The Streak.

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 1:28 pm 
Lubes With Earth Balance

Upper body workout. Bench press, barbell row, incline dumbbell press, lat pulldowns, lat raises, triceps pulldowns and dumbbell bicep curls. Upped the reps on all exercises except incline dumbbell press.

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 3:12 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

I started the workouts from the New Rules of Weightlifting for Women, so that's kicking my butt. I've never "lifted heavy" before. Yesterday was a New Rules workout and 5 mile run, today was insanity cardio and cardio abs.

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 4:29 pm 
Wears Pleather Undies

emmalv wrote:
I started the workouts from the New Rules of Weightlifting for Women, so that's kicking my butt. I've never "lifted heavy" before. Yesterday was a New Rules workout and 5 mile run, today was insanity cardio and cardio abs.

Do you love it?! I'm halfway through stage 1 of NRoL4W -- I love it so much. I've trained with big girl weights in the past, but it's been several years, and I never had a good program like this one.

On my non-lifting days, I run intervals, but I keep it short. I'm not looking to lose weight or improve my running performance; right now my goals all focus on improving lifting performance. I don't want the exercise that I do on my "off" days to compromise it.

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 6:34 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

Holy sweatiest Moksha flow class ever.

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 6:51 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

Ratched wrote:
emmalv wrote:

Do you love it?! I'm halfway through stage 1 of NRoL4W -- I love it so much. I've trained with big girl weights in the past, but it's been several years, and I never had a good program like this one.

On my non-lifting days, I run intervals, but I keep it short. I'm not looking to lose weight or improve my running performance; right now my goals all focus on improving lifting performance. I don't want the exercise that I do on my "off" days to compromise it.

I'm only 2 workouts in, so I can't speak to the whole program, but I am digging lifting heavy weights. I am amazed how hard it is, which sounds kinda dumb, but I think I'm just surprised that I can feel so worked in such a short period of time as compared to my normal, much longer workouts. I'm seriously spent after 30 minutes, which includes a warmup and taking the prescribed rest periods. I still am feeling out how much work I want to do on the non-lifting days... I see more intervals and HIIT training in my future, but I do like to do a couple of long (for me) runs also.
Between this book and Go Kaleo I'm inspired to sort of forget about the scale, actually eat a little bit more, and improve my strength and health. I so want to do a pullup by the time I'm through the 6 month program!

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 11:01 pm 
Angrily Posting on Facebook

I was so frustrated at the gym today. I forgot that on Wednesday nights there's a class using the treadmills, and they block off ALL of them, even though they only use maybe half of them, if that. So the rest of them just sit empty. It totally sucks. I normally just go to jog on the treadmill because I really loathe all of the other cardio machines.

I didn't want to just turn around and leave or stand there and wait to get a treadmill, so I sucked it up and did 10 minutes on the elliptical before I wanted to kill myself and had to stop. Then I did a few minutes on the stationary bike, which also sucked. I finally got a treadmill and did a short run/walk and then went home. Sucked. All of it. And now my knees hurt because the elliptical is THE WORST EVER.

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 3:11 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

1 hour spinning. Pyramid intervals. Earlier I havn't been a big fan of spinning, but now with my shin splint keeping me from running, I'm finding myself liking it. One problem though, the front half of my feet will go numb after only ten minutes and stay that way until I move them around without shoes.

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 10:27 am 
Lubes With Earth Balance

Lower body workout (squats, split squats, leg curl, calf press) and 20 minute insane core workout. Also biking to and from work, 10 k.

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 8:19 pm 
Wears Pleather Undies

emmalv wrote:
I'm only 2 workouts in, so I can't speak to the whole program, but I am digging lifting heavy weights. I am amazed how hard it is, which sounds kinda dumb, but I think I'm just surprised that I can feel so worked in such a short period of time as compared to my normal, much longer workouts. I'm seriously spent after 30 minutes, which includes a warmup and taking the prescribed rest periods. I still am feeling out how much work I want to do on the non-lifting days... I see more intervals and HIIT training in my future, but I do like to do a couple of long (for me) runs also.
Between this book and Go Kaleo I'm inspired to sort of forget about the scale, actually eat a little bit more, and improve my strength and health. I so want to do a pullup by the time I'm through the 6 month program!

You go, girl! Go Kaleo is the best. I was talking weights with a coworker of mine (who is a lifter-meathead-gym rat) ... he asked me how many calories I eat, and guessed 1500-1600. I told him at least 2000, with my bodyweight in protein grams every day! He grinned and said too many girls eat too few calories. The more I read, the more I'm thinking the same way you are ... food, fuel, strength, health.

I'm with you on the pullups ... I intend to do stage 6, even though it's optional. I really want to do a pullup by my wedding anniversary in the fall. I bet you and I will both make it happen!

One of the things I really like from NROL4W is the suggestion that if you're going to do long runs (or other endurance work) on your non-lifting days, to do it immediately after an interval set and a five-minute rest period.

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 11:01 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

Ratched, we'll have to keep each other apprised of our progress! I'm excited. Its only been a couple workouts and maybe more due to eating a bit more, but I already feel like I'm getting stronger.

I do remember that bit about when to do endurance work, so I guess I'm going to have to plan workouts based on this kind of timing too. I couldn't give up the long runs altogether though - they are too important to my sanity.

Yesterday: New Rules workout, 6 mile easy run.

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 3:21 pm 
Dead by dawn

10.8 mile run

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 5:00 pm 
Fair trade, organic mistletoe

I had a BEAST of a workout today. Squatting 105, overhead press 45 (strength gains are SO slow for me with the overhead), deadlifting 125, then some overhead ATG squats with a wooden dowel for form. Walking down the stairs out of the gym felt treacherous!

So excited to see some other women lifting heavy in here!

"But really, anyone willing to dangle their baby in front of a crocodile is A-OK in my book."~SSD

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 6:57 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

J-dub, that's awesome! I'm still trying to figure out what I can lift safely. Its been since high school strength training class that I've done anything heavy; I do remember eeking out a couple squats at 150 but that was some time ago. I also just have adjustable dumbbells and not a rack and bar set, and in my mind (?) I think those have more potential to jack my back up if I'm not careful, something about the unevenness of handling 2 loose weights instead of a bar.

I hope your legs rest up for ya tomorrow!

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 8:31 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

J-Dub, I'm just starting to do HIIT again. Hopefully when the fall comes around and I move into a cheaper place I'll be able to pay for a gym so I can lift all the things!

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 11:07 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

Two awesome sweaty Moksha yoga classes.

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 9:52 am 
Angrily Posting on Facebook

You guys are making me want to try lifting! I have just been doing cardio and am not seeing the results I want. I don't want to lose weight anymore, but I want to change my body. I think I'm going to schedule a couple sessions with a personal trainer to get started.

Today's workout was a veeeery early morning run/walk outside because I woke up too forking early.

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 10:24 am 
Lubes With Earth Balance

Upper body workout (chins, lat pulldowns, seated barbell shoulder press, dumbbell row, dumbbell chest press, dumbbell flyes, barbell bicep curls and dumbbell skull crushers. Did more reps of chins, lat pulldowns, chest press, flyes, and curls with the same weight as last time, upped the weights on shoulder press, and kept the same weight on skull crushers. The rows were a bit of a fail, had to lower the weights and work on my ROM. I'm also stronger on the left side which is weird.

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 10:38 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

Ashley, from my recent reads it sounds like lifting weights would be a good step for you. That's why I started too - just cardio doesn't seem to be cutting it anymore, and I don't have anything to lose other than the proverbial last 5 pounds (which I'm ok with not losing if that's how it shakes out).

I recommend reading New Rules. Even if you don't want to necessarily follow the program, half of the book is just on explaining the science and reasons why lifting weights makes sense for women. I know for me, I need to understand the whys - I don't respond well to "just do it because I say so."

Or as others have mentioned as well, Go Kaleo is a great source and a breath of fresh air. Peruse some of her archived blog posts; she talks a bit about body recomposition and her progress is both honest and amazing.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4009 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 117, 118, 119, 120, 121, 122, 123 ... 161  Next