| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sun Apr 19, 2015 3:07 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Exercise Plans
PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 3:23 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

So I have been really good about going to the gym. 5 times last week and so far 3 times this week. I take classes, walk/run on the treadmill, played around with the TRX on Monday...but I feel as if I am just floundering and flopping about without a consistent plan. I would like to do both cardio and strength training, and I have more or less an hour a day. Half an hour at lunch time and half an hour either before or after work.

There are so many options and things to do, machines to use, exercises to do, classes to take that I feel lost. Can anyone help me figure out how many times per week should I do cardio and strength train to get some benefit out of it? Do free weights and machines give you the same results? Does the TRX count as strength training? How do you figure it all out??

My goals are: building enough endurance to run at least a mile (and then build up on that...right now I can handle 1/8 of a mile), and become stronger...that one is a vague goal though. Are there more specific goals I can aim for as far as strength? Help!

Post subject: Re: Exercise Plans
PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 3:49 pm 
Impressive boner

Free weights and machines work differently with your body. With machines you have stabilization from the machine, whereas with free weights you have to use your own stabilizing muscles.

I'd say that TRX counts as strength training, whenever I've used it I've been sore after!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 8:00 am 
Not NOT A Furry

Does your gym have a personal training program? Sometimes they let you have a free consultation (at my gym that is part of your membership package when you first join), and you could ask the trainer your questions and have them help you come up with a structured plan. The trainers can be especially helpful when you have specific goals like your running one, and even for your vague strength goal they can tell you which muscles are most important to work on and stuff like that. Also they can help you figure out how much weight to use, how many reps to do, specific strength goals (e.g., do 10 pushups, hold a plank for a minute...), etc.

I hope TRX counts as strength training because that's all I'm doing for strength training these days! I love it.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 8:29 am 
Lubes With Earth Balance

The WHO recommends 150 minutes of moderate-intensity cardio or 75 minutes of vigorous cardio a week, plus 2 session a week of muscle training (that can be lifting weights, or yoga, or any bodyweight exercice) - so that's a good place to start in terms of goals. Beyond that, it really depends on what you enjoy!

Since you say you want to be able to run, I would recommend the Couch to 5k program. It has a very gentle progression, and in the first week you only need to be able to jog for 60 seconds at a time.

As for strength training, these days I get mine from bouldering. So I set my goals in terms of route difficulty.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 1:53 am 
Tofu Pup

It's fun! I started last October and have been doing it every once in a while in between other things. A little hard on the knees and legs in general. But really fun and pretty easy!