| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sun Sep 21, 2014 5:24 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: cardio at the gym
PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 6:09 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

My job has a good deal on gym membership so I'm gonna join a real gym for the first time ever. I work out with weights at home so am really looking for a place I can get some cardio in. I'll probably take some group classes, in the past I've done spinning and that was cool, but I wondered what kind of individual cardio routines people recommend at the gym. I'm kind of clueless about using the treadmills and that kind of stuff, are there any good online resources or routines people know of? I don't want to pay for a trainer or anything. thanks!

"If I were M. de la Viandeviande, I would now write a thirteen page post about how you have to have free will to be vegan, but modern science does not suggest any evidence for free will, therefore it is impossible to be vegan." -mumbles

Post subject: Re: cardio at the gym
PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 6:49 pm 
Chard Martyr

Cardio alone is the most boring thing ever, in my opinion. I try to get a friend to go with me to make the time go by faster. Lately, I've been studying via my iPod for the hour that I'm on whatever machine I'm on at the time. My advice is to vary the machines you go on (don't do all elliptical, all treadmill, all stairmaster; switch them up) and just keep your heart rate up.

I prefer good group classes if I can get them in, but that's not always possible. A good cardio kickbox class is a great way to get my heart rate up and keep moving for an hour and I don't feel so bored. Or, like you mentioned, a spin class every so often.

You've got the hard part down- learning about weight training! Cardio should be a breeze for you!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 8:27 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Meggs has got it right -- variety is the key! Get a good heartrate monitor if you can -- one with the band that goes around your chest and a wristwatch thing to monitor your heartrate. Then mix it up: treadmill, jumping jacks, skipping rope, elliptical, rowing machine, running in place, whatever. Do 4-5 minutes on one machine, then get off and cool down a bit, jogging in place or skipping rope or something, then take it up again on the next machine. It's good to vary your heartrate -- a problem with a lot of machines is folks are tempted to get their heartrate somewhere, say 155, and hold it there for 45 minutes. That doesn't build strength. Hearts are muscles like any other muscle -- you gotta push it, then back off, then push, then back off, etc. Intervals are the way to go.

As an example I like to keep mine above about 140 during cardio, with periods where I push to 165-170, then back down to 140, then back up, and so on. Over the course of about 45 - 60 minutes, I'll average maybe 150, but with a lot of ups and downs in there. Hope that helps.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 2:38 am 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

If your gym has one of these, use it. It's a rotating step mill and it looks like a big staircase, that um, rotates. So instead of the usual steppers where you don't pick up your feet, this one mimics actual stair climbing, it's a helluva workout. Sadly my gym doesn't have one.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 7:16 am 
Hearts James Cromwell

yeah, intervals. These days I rarely do over 45 minutes cardio in one session, I tend to do around 15-20 but high intensity interval training. It's really simple, just start slow then go as fast as you possibly can for a bit, cool down, go fast, cool down, etc. You sweat tons and it's a better workout both to build endurance and burn calories than if you go steady. I usually pick the bike for intervals, the rower for long and steady and the treadmill for short but intense sessions.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:16 am 
Baking In The Flavor

I do intervals on the elliptical. I pick whatever program I feel like, then turn up the resistance to five to warm up for two minutes. After that, my intervals start. Sometimes I'll do two minutes on (at resistance 10 or 12), two minutes off (resistance 8). Sometimes I'll do 30 seconds on (in which case I go balls out) then a minute or a minute and a half of moderate pace. I mix it up a lot so I don't get bored. I think the key (for me, at least) to doing intervals is that however long my "on" interval, I want to go hard enough that I feel like I need a break afterwards. I usually do 25-30 minutes on the elliptical, then go swim for 15-30 minutes. I also love the step-mill, which, as explained above, is like a treadmill and stairmaster in one. Super great workout. Have fun!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 12:36 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

oh yeah I had heard of intervals but totally forgot about it, that would be perfect to use the machines for. I guess I'll need to sort of familiarize myself with the various equipments first, then start in. thanks for all the suggestions, this is really helpful.

"If I were M. de la Viandeviande, I would now write a thirteen page post about how you have to have free will to be vegan, but modern science does not suggest any evidence for free will, therefore it is impossible to be vegan." -mumbles

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 5:53 pm 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

cosmiclettuce wrote:
yeah, intervals. These days I rarely do over 45 minutes cardio in one session, I tend to do around 15-20 but high intensity interval training. It's really simple, just start slow then go as fast as you possibly can for a bit, cool down, go fast, cool down, etc. You sweat tons and it's a better workout both to build endurance and burn calories than if you go steady. I usually pick the bike for intervals, the rower for long and steady and the treadmill for short but intense sessions.

I'm all about the sprints on the bike! I do love the treadmill and elliptical, but they're just too hard on my back after too long. So, I get on the bike a lot. I'll start out with a 2 min warm up, then bust out a 1 min sprint (as fast as I can possibly go), then another 2 min coast, then another 1 min sprint and so on....I'll do this on level 5 or 6 usually. I do 20 minutes total.

I like this because I get a good cardio workout in a fraction of the time!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 10:16 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

BunzOfCinnamon wrote:
cosmiclettuce wrote:

I'm all about the sprints on the bike! I do love the treadmill and elliptical, but they're just too hard on my back after too long. So, I get on the bike a lot. I'll start out with a 2 min warm up, then bust out a 1 min sprint (as fast as I can possibly go), then another 2 min coast, then another 1 min sprint and so on....I'll do this on level 5 or 6 usually. I do 20 minutes total.

I like this because I get a good cardio workout in a fraction of the time!

that sounds like a perfect workout for me to start with, since I should be able to figure out using the bike pretty easily. Thanks!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:12 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

I've been loving the rowing machine lately, it's great cardio plus it's a total body workout.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:36 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

When I joined my gym I told my trainer that I hate cardio and he had me doing sprints on the bike and rower, so I could get it done and out of the way as quickly as possible.

At the moment I'm also doing the couch to 5k running program, which is pretty much just an interval thing. I thought I would kind of hate it, but it's actually a lot of fun, just because you're changing what you're doing so often.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 1:19 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I'm a runner but I injured my leg so the only thing I'm allowed to do for now is the exercise bike. I've started bringing books to read on the bike and it makes the time fly!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 8:01 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

I use the treadmill at the gym with a speed interval option. I set my jog speed and sprint speed and alternate between the two (quite a big gap between the two so i can get my recovery). Usually one minute high intensity, 2 mins low. If I feel like picking it up gradually I just manually increase the speed from the jog speed. It's a shame that my treadmill doesn't go past 20km p/hr though as that would make things much more effective for me.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 8:24 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

guy burgess wrote:
I use the treadmill at the gym with a speed interval option. I set my jog speed and sprint speed and alternate between the two (quite a big gap between the two so i can get my recovery). Usually one minute high intensity, 2 mins low. If I feel like picking it up gradually I just manually increase the speed from the jog speed. It's a shame that my treadmill doesn't go past 20km p/hr though as that would make things much more effective for me.

Do you have to have any experience running to start out with jogging on the treadmill? I'm worried because I tried jogging (outdoors) years ago and I hated it and really sucked at it, but I'd like to see what it's like on a treadmill.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 1:43 pm 
Saggy Butt

Lately my cardio has been 45 minutes on the elliptical while I watch TV. It's a good break from studying but I need to up switch it up with intervals or something because my body is so used to it. About once a week I'll use the stairmaster and I'm dying after 30 minutes. I hate stationary bikes. The only time I use them is if I want to lengthen my cardio past an hour and my feet are too sore to use the elliptical or run.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 1:44 am 
Not NOT A Furry

Quarantined wrote:
Do you have to have any experience running to start out with jogging on the treadmill? I'm worried because I tried jogging (outdoors) years ago and I hated it and really sucked at it, but I'd like to see what it's like on a treadmill.

A lot of people hate treadmills because they think they're boring etc. Personally I love them because i HATE running on the street/concrete and past people. I also find that they're a really good way of pacing yourself as you can slowly increase the speed instead of trying to judge it yourself - I find i always set off too fast on long runs if i'm not on a treadmill. It's also really easy to see time/distance which I like, although it's probably best you don't just stare at that as it goes by slowly! I don't really like running when i'm not playing sport but it's a necessity and i find that the treadmill makes things easier for me, unless i'm doing anaerobic endurance work.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 5:42 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

thanks for all the helpful advice- finally got my membership today so I'm gonna go to a class tomorrow. The equipment looked all crazy high-tech when I got my tour today! I'm going to have to get some lessons on how to use it haha.