| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:52 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2043 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 82  Next
 Post subject: Re: Beachbody Fitness (P90X, Insanity, etc.)
PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:42 am 
Tofu Pup

Oh man I keep trying to stick to the P90 series. I downloaded Power 90, P90Masters and P90x. I have done a bit of the Power 90 and about two workouts from the P90 Masters. I thought I was in okay shape but boy was I wrong. I have always had very scrawny arms and strong legs but I can barely do 5 "girl" push ups and 10 squats! I am working on it though! I will for sure join the PPK forum group!

I actually LOVE Tony. I think he has a great attitude and even though he pushes the Beach Body bands (that's how the man gets paid) he isn't annoying to me at all. Now that I know he is mostly meat and diary free makes him even better in my book!

I like the idea of simple cardio, calisthenics and weights over using multiple different machines meant to target only one muscle. Working the functional muscles help prevent everyday injuries and the negative effects of aging and makes you feel more balanced.

I always laugh when I see guys a the gym with arms so jacked they swing like a gorillas but their legs look like toothpicks!

Way to go PPKer's keeping yourselves healthy with diet AND exercise! We can do it!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 4:20 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

kdsaj wrote:
I'm using a hemp protein shake right now, which is probably similar to rice (right?). I wanted to stay away from the soy, and hemp was the first non-soy protein shake I saw at whole foods.

I'm in need of a really good (tasty and good nutrient profile) protein shake that is inexpensive. What brands do you recommend or not recommend?

I haven't been using any protein powder since starting P90X, I had one a few years ago that a Dr suggested because I wasn't digesting protein. I'm thinking of buying rice or pea.

And I've heard good things about Vega shakes.

LaLadyVeg wrote:
Oh man I keep trying to stick to the P90 series. I downloaded Power 90, P90Masters and P90x. I have done a bit of the Power 90 and about two workouts from the P90 Masters. I thought I was in okay shape but boy was I wrong. I have always had very scrawny arms and strong legs but I can barely do 5 "girl" push ups and 10 squats! I am working on it though! I will for sure join the PPK forum group!

I actually LOVE Tony. I think he has a great attitude and even though he pushes the Beach Body bands (that's how the man gets paid) he isn't annoying to me at all. Now that I know he is mostly meat and diary free makes him even better in my book!

Way to go PPKer's keeping yourselves healthy with diet AND exercise! We can do it!

Chyeah, go PPKers!!
I'm not great at push ups either, I can do 10-12 girly ones.

Just get back into whichever work out you enjoyed and keep joining us here and on the BB forums. And I agree about Tony, I like his attitude, he never puts anyone down and is really encouraging. And yep, he definitely had to push all the BB products back on those dvds which is understandable.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:20 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

kdsaj wrote:
alice1drland wrote:
"Hurka durka durk durk awwww YAY-uh! Hurk durk? DORF."

This made me laugh for about 10 minutes. I needed that, thanks!

It's what I'm here for. Seriously though, is that not accurate?!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 2:21 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

We went away this weekend, and although I didn't get to do Kenpo, I figured my 2 hour, mostly up steep hills, with no breaks hike counted for something.

I'm lacking a little motivation today. I have to keep reminding myself to say "I can't do many regular push-ups yet," instead of "I'll never be able to do many regular push-ups, I quit!"

Of course, I had a ton of coffee and cake this weekend, but that doesn't mean I can't get right back on track today. I also ate a ton of beans and vegetables, hiked, and walked a lot.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 4:17 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Quote:
I'm using a hemp protein shake right now, which is probably similar to rice (right?). I wanted to stay away from the soy, and hemp was the first non-soy protein shake I saw at whole foods.

I'm in need of a really good (tasty and good nutrient profile) protein shake that is inexpensive. What brands do you recommend or not recommend?

I just got a raw protein shake by Garden of Life at the Vitamin Shoppe. The nutritional profile is great! It is gluten free and it says "soy allergen free," whatever that means (I assume it doesn't mean soy free). It is actually really tasty; hell, even Molly laps some up and makes her "tasty" sounds. 1 scoop has 16g of protein and 50% of most vitamins/minerals.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:21 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

I'm starting the program tonight rather than just willy nilly doing whatever video I feel like.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:30 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

Cowgirl wrote:
I'm starting the program tonight rather than just willy nilly doing whatever video I feel like.

yah, hope you love it! : )

designedtobekind wrote:
I'm lacking a little motivation today. I have to keep reminding myself to say "I can't do many regular push-ups yet," instead of "I'll never be able to do many regular push-ups, I quit!"

I'm a bit like that with pullups, I have to use a chair for assistance for all of them, and really really hope that by the time we're done I can do even one. I dunno how likely that is though...

We're rocking on with week five and walking on jelly legs today! We'd gotten used to the leg workout so that it was still challenging but we weren't in deathly pain afterwards in week two/three, but after taking a break from legs for just one recovery week, the pain is amped up again! Still waaaay easier than the first week, but nice and tough! Especially those horrible single leg wall squats!! : /

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:42 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

Wow. I'm looking forward to getting good at the chest and back DVD. Ab ripper too. My upper body is weak and my abs need improvement. It was tough to even keep up! I'm better with lower body.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:17 pm 

yeah, it doesn't start off slow! My husband's been going to the gym for 10 years and after the first day of chest and back he was exhausted and sore.
I think that one is extra tough [but gets way better, don't worry!] because you're working big muscle groups and so your whole body gets fatigued from all that pushing and pulling!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 6:25 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

My upper body is something I really want to work on, too. I've had skinny arms all my life which is cool until they just become flabby skinny arms. I'd rather have strong arms.

Chest & Back is pretty serious, and you know a workout is good when you look forward to "only" lifting a weight off the ground 20 times! It is getting easier, though. I'd think I wasn't improving, until I compare how many repetitions I'm doing now to my first week! I'm getting there, slowly but surely!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 7:35 am 
Bought 20lbs of vegan protein powder

Cowgirl - Welcome! Have fun and let me/us know if you have questions!

I've heard great things about the Garden of Life Raw and the Vega - I am waiting for the magical food Gods to deliver me free samples of Vega (it's $7/serving!!!) and I'll try the GOL soon (I buy my stuff at The Vitamin Shoppe and they exchange stuff rather easily). I've been using the Nutribiotic Rice proteins in vanilla and chocolate and I like them.

This is my recovery week of phase two. True lame confession: Saturday was my day off. Sunday and Monday I had a migraine. Yesterday was the kid's birthday and I was wiped out. I haven't worked out since FRIDAY. PATHETIC. Better diet and back to work today!

Better diet? Oh the cake. THE CAKE! UGH. Get the sugar away from me.

"It's because I'm judging them. Harshly. Judgey McJudgerson." - mel c

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 7:52 am 
Memorized Veganomicon

I've just started! It's so intense! I like Tony, he's crazy in a good way.

I have a question. On the chest and back workout, what exercises do you reckon you could substitute for the pull up bar ones? We don't have a pull up bar.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:56 am 
Discovered unobtainium

appifanie wrote:
Cowgirl - Welcome! Have fun and let me/us know if you have questions!

I've heard great things about the Garden of Life Raw and the Vega - I am waiting for the magical food Gods to deliver me free samples of Vega (it's $7/serving!!!) and I'll try the GOL soon (I buy my stuff at The Vitamin Shoppe and they exchange stuff rather easily). I've been using the Nutribiotic Rice proteins in vanilla and chocolate and I like them.

This is my recovery week of phase two. True lame confession: Saturday was my day off. Sunday and Monday I had a migraine. Yesterday was the kid's birthday and I was wiped out. I haven't worked out since FRIDAY. PATHETIC. Better diet and back to work today!

Garden of Life is almost half the price of Vega! It is so filling. I actually like it a lot to the point that I look forward to breakfast.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:03 pm 

RiotSquirrrrrrrel wrote:

I have a question. On the chest and back workout, what exercises do you reckon you could substitute for the pull up bar ones? We don't have a pull up bar.

I was doing this seriously useless modification where I wrapped a stretchy band around my feet while sitting - don't do that. I got a pull up bar at Target, but if I'd know it existed I would have started with the adapter you can use in your door with bands. (Which I will now search for on Amazon.)

eta: this thing: http://www.amazon.com/Door-Hook-Anchor- ... =8-1-fkmr0 which is also like http://www.amazon.com/Ball-Dynamics-Fit ... 71&sr=8-11 which is also like http://www.amazon.com/ANCHOR-Resistance ... 271&sr=8-1 i think

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 4:13 pm 

appifanie wrote:

birthdays are a totally reasonable excuse to eat cake! And I can't imagine doing even the easiest of these workouts with a migraine, urgh. Today's a new day, right? : )

RiotSquirrrrrrrel wrote:

yesss! We like his crazy intensity too! My husband is sure he's got ADHD or something...

appifanie wrote:

we got a couple of these type of things:
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Sports/Exercis ... 374654.htm

for cheap online, and I just use a chair to assist with the pull-ups I can't actually do yet.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 5:21 pm 

today IS a new day! and it's X stretch! now what a nice day to ease in with!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 5:31 pm 

appifanie wrote:
today IS a new day! and it's X stretch! now what a nice day to ease in with!

I freakin' love that workout! feels soooo good.

We're starting week six in the morning, back to those freaky pushups again... : /

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 5:32 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Tony's got a new book coming out! I wonder if the diet included is pesc/vegetarian?
http://www.amazon.com/BRING-Revolutiona ... 252&sr=8-1

Cowgirl wrote:

Nice! I think it's good to do it in the order, it gives parts of your body a break while you work the rest.

oncewerewesties wrote:
We're rocking on with week five and walking on jelly legs today! We'd gotten used to the leg workout so that it was still challenging but we weren't in deathly pain afterwards in week two/three, but after taking a break from legs for just one recovery week, the pain is amped up again! Still waaaay easier than the first week, but nice and tough! Especially those horrible single leg wall squats!! : /

Normally I get through Legs & Back easily but you're right, after the rest week it was harder and my left knee ached from the beginning, I wish I had non-dodgy knees.

appifanie wrote:

You're not pathetic, you just had so much on and migraines are hell to deal with.

RiotSquirrrrrrrel wrote:

I'd be interested in this too at the moment I just skip them. In our new place I will get bands or a pull up bar.

oncewerewesties wrote:

for cheap online, and I just use a chair to assist with the pull-ups I can't actually do yet.

And this stays in the doorway and doesn't fall out? I'd be interested in using it for push ups too as my right wrist aches about a few sets of 12.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 6:04 pm 

Kitteh wrote:
oncewerewesties wrote:

And this stays in the doorway and doesn't fall out? I'd be interested in using it for push ups too as my right wrist aches about a few sets of 12.

yup, it wedges in and stays up fine, then you just push it up and it comes off to store it out of the way. We're pretty happy with them.

I haven't tried using it for pushups, I should give it a go...
The husband's got a set of these for extra depth:

Had a look at that book, sounds like it could be quite interesting, might see if our library gets it in.
Also, I'm amused by Amazon's 'people who bought this item also bought' : this exercise book, that exercise dvd, Tango and Cash on blu ray. whaaa?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 6:48 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

Tonight is plyo!! This one I can do!! Thanks for the welcomes!! I've put on the "boyfriend layer" this past year and would really like to firm it up.

I don't have a pull up bar either, I'll get one, but for the time being I'm looping my bands over the bar in my hall closet. It works ok. I need tougher bands. Or a pull up bar.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:11 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

I ate a huge plate of moussaka. Indont think I'm ready to jump around quite yet. Hahaha.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:17 pm 

Cowgirl wrote:
I ate a huge plate of moussaka. Indont think I'm ready to jump around quite yet. Hahaha.

haha.
I really really love the plyo workout, but yeah, we always do it as soon as we get up and have breakfast afterwards, can't imagine trying to do that with food in my belly!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:18 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

Does anyone have the Iron Gym? I'm looking for a pull up bar that requires zero installation.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:22 pm 

Karma007 wrote:
Does anyone have the Iron Gym? I'm looking for a pull up bar that requires zero installation.

Is that like this one? :

oncewerewesties wrote:

It's just a bung it in the doorway and go thing, no screws or whatever required. Works well for us.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:49 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

Done.

Does anyone else have a hard time with the pitching part at the end? It's like I don't have the coordination. I just squat while they pitch. Haha.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2043 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 82  Next