| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 10:41 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2043 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62 ... 82  Next
 Post subject: Re: Beachbody Fitness (P90X, Insanity, etc.)
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 8:20 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Ugh. I bought Luna protein bars and ate the first one yesterday. My first thought was "mmmm, this is good, almost like those Reese's candy bar things." Unfortunately, my second thought was "these taste...off. Like milky." And I read the ingredients...whey. For some reason I thought all Lunas were vegan, but nope. Now I have 5 bars I have no intention of eating. I just don't get how Builder's are vegan and these aren't.

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 9:19 am 
Hip Goiter

What? I thought all Lunas were vegan too! what the fizzle

Laughfrodisiac

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 10:20 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

RandiJM wrote:
What? I thought all Lunas were vegan too! what the fizzle

That's why I thought I would post it here, I figured I wasn't the only one with this assumption. It looks like it's just the protein Luna bars and some kind of Clif bites.

http://www.clifbar.com/allergen#clif_bar

but on this, clicking dairy makes two of the Clif minis go away but I think it's a mistake.
http://www.clifbar.com/food/find_compare/

Anyway, do you think it's worth its own warning post for non-Beachbody peeps?

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 11:52 am 
Hip Goiter

Probably in the kitchen yeah. That's so dumb. Thanks for the alert.

Laughfrodisiac

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 12:28 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

What do you guys think "may contain trace of" really means?
If they put it in there just so they don't get sued if someone finds a tiny microscopic bit of something, I guess that doesn't bother me too much -- maybe the equivalent of eating in a restaurant that isn't all vegan.
If it means they don't clean the pot or something, so there's almost always some whey in there, then I'm done with Clif and Luna, sadly. What else you gonna get at the airport???

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 12:36 pm 
Hip Goiter

Is that all it says? I thought from the post that whey was clearly listed as an ingredient.

Laughfrodisiac

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 3:09 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Varies. On a few it says "contains" dairy -- I think that's what bekki was talking about. But on many many of them it says "may contain" dairy and next to that it says "The making of food is such that we cannot guarantee that trace amounts of this ingredient will never show up." That's the one I was wondering about...

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 5:42 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

OK I just did one of the Insanity DVDs for the first time. Early this morning I did P90X Legs & Back and Ab Ripper, and I found myself with a 2-hour break this afternoon, decided to squeeze in a cardio workout. I did "Pure Cardio" on disc 5. I gotta say, meh. Not meh because it was a bad workout or anything. It just wasn't very different from the 2nd disc, which is "Plyometric Cardio Circuit." Maybe it's a bit easier, with less jumping, but it kinda felt almost the same to me. Same 9 minute warmup, basically same stretches, lots of the same moves, same cooldown and stretch as far as I could tell. Main diff was no breaks during the actual 20-or-so minutes of hard work. Versus the Plyometric Cardio which has to give you breaks or the audience would all be dead and therefore unable to purchase additional Beachbody products. That'd be bad, very bad. Anyway, meh on the repetition. Now I'm kinda wondrin what's on all those additional DVDs I bought -- more of the same? I'll report as I try them out.

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 8:33 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

DLD wrote:
Varies. On a few it says "contains" dairy -- I think that's what bekki was talking about. But on many many of them it says "may contain" dairy and next to that it says "The making of food is such that we cannot guarantee that trace amounts of this ingredient will never show up." That's the one I was wondering about...

You are correct, I was only referring to the actual "contains" products, the Luna Protein, Whey (actually "whey protein concentrate") is an ingredient in them. However, nearly all Clif bars carry the "may contain" warning because of the aforementioned equipment sharing. Personally, I'm not concerned with the may contain or shared equipment issue. I just found the chart easier to use for elimination than the interactive checklist, but I don't worry about the "MC"s I read somewhere on the Clif site earlier today that their chocolate is sourced from a factory that shares equipment with allergens. For the most part (on all products, not just Clif) "may contain traces of.. ____" is a warning for people with allergies because any possibility of contamination should be reported since some people can get super sick from trace amounts. Also, shared equipment can be a Kosher issue. Even Silk creamer has a "circle U" with a D!

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 8:30 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

And I made it through Day of Insanity! I've actually gained a bit of weight (I know this mainly because I had to go to the doc today) but my clothes fit about the same. I can, however, tell a bit of difference in my quads already. I know I feel like I'm imagining things when I say that but the difference really is there.

Also, I forgot to take measurements before beginning, so I'm going to do that tomorrow and then at every fit test from here on out. I've also shifted to making about half my food from AFR, plus working out so hard makes junk food so unappealing to me..I would pick a banana over a cupcake 80% of the time when I'm exercising (up from NEVER when I'm not). All in all, I have a bit of my fatigue trying to creep in but I'm feeling mostly good.

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 9:58 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Week 2, day 2!

I know results take time but dammit, this is hard enough I feel like I should be a fitness model by now.

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 8:17 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

C'mon beachbody people, I'm all by myself in here! Do I have to join Facebook to keep up with vegan exercise?

Also, the husband just pointed out that Shaun T sometimes refers to himself in the third person but I haven't noticed it yet. Although I am kind of over all the faces people are making at me in the video!

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 8:31 am 
Hip Goiter

Good job bekki! I'm still plugging away, week 8 of PDoubles. Bringing my yoga mat to nyc is getting old!

Laughfrodisiac

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 11:37 am 
So Totally Yiffy

Man! I missed a week of P90X because I had to fly home for my grandmother's funeral. Then the weather screwed me and I came back with a mean bug that kept me stretched out on the couch for another week with a trash can and a Kleenex box. Eww! I'm finally getting back to normal. I can run without stopping to cough my lungs out. I'm going to just restart Phase 2 of P90X instead of picking up where I left off (week 6) and adding the workouts I missed onto the end. Doesn't seem like it'll work with so many missed... any advice?! I can't restart P90X altogether, but I can restart the phase...

I promise I'm not a bot! My birthday is June 10th. :)

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 12:23 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

deedah, I think restarting the phase should work fine. I just hope you get back to normal, it sounds like you've had a really rough patch.

Randi, I attempted doubles once but made it through about one day of the 2x exercises before I called it quits. I think I've decided to stick it out and finish Insanity and then do a hybrid with the X, or maybe my own totally made up program of Insanity and You Are Your Own Gym...I haven't decided.

Anyway, I'm still amused by my legs' excitement. I already have quads visible (after a week and a half) and I don't have low body fat! If only the rest of me would be so responsive.

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 12:12 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Quads visible after 2 weeks? You rock!!!

I have tons of definition everywhere except the damn abs. And I've been doing this for 2 years and my bodyfat is 11%. Stupid waist fat. Just won't go away! Grrrr.

Whenever I miss a workout, I just pick up where I left off. Or maybe ease back in with a cardio.
I'm liking the Insanity/P90X hybrid, but I gotta say, those Insanity workouts are harder than the cardio workouts in the X or the X Plus. So I've swapping back in Kenpo X+ or Intervals X+ when I'm feeling a little ragged.

I did a workout for the first time ever with someone else this week -- totally fun! Met a woman at a conference who does Beachbody stuff so we did Intervals X+ together yesterday morning at 5:30am. Huge difference to do it with someone -- really made me push myself. She still kicked my butt though, I was sweating and huffing and puffing and she looked like she'd walked to the fridge and back. Sigh. But having a workout buddy sure would be cool.

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 9:11 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

DLD wrote:
Quads visible after 2 weeks? You rock!!!

Just so I'm not misrepresenting, they're not like super hot, lean quads. Really, it just looks like my fat distributed in some weird way...but it's hard and it flexes so *I* know what it is. And as for abs, I'll never have 'em, but I'm okay with that. I would probably have to get down to a super low bodyfat, in order for that to happen since I carry most of my weight in my midsection. To me it's just not worth it, I just wanna be healthy and lose some of the excess but still enjoy food. I get the draw of abs, but I'll take a cupcake instead.

Having a workout buddy can be great sometimes. I work out with my husband most of the time and generally enjoy it but I get distracted when he has bad form. We did just kick week 2's asparagus, though. I can't believe I have two weeks of Insanity in the bag.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 6:09 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

how are you insanity folks eating alongside your workouts?

Im considering buying it when i have time in the summer to do it. (and when i have enough money for it... yikes its expensive!)
I need to gain weight, but I would like for my body to look defined if I am to put on some (muscle weight), is this possible?
I understand its an intense workout that burns off alot, so what are you guys all eating to keep up your energy?

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 6:51 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

VanillaDoe wrote:
what are you guys all eating to keep up your energy?

A lot!! Extra 600-1000 calories above basic requirement. Double that on days when I do 2 workouts. Try for 100g of protein per day (1 gram per kilogram of body weight), no more than 20% of calories from fat, and the rest from carbs. Shakes for the extra protein and the omegas and vitamins and all that, and tons of fruit & vegetables.

That's for maintenance (of weight), maybe a slight gain, hopefully from muscle, never really sure though.

Lots of people workout on an empty stomach first thing in the morning. I do best about 90 minutes after eating an energy bar or something loaded with easy-to-digest carbs. Raw date and nut bar, that sort of thing. Gives me a ton of energy!

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 9:36 pm 
Hip Goiter

Vanilla Doe I would talk to a nutritionist if you need to gain weight bc Insanity is famous for causing weight loss, and you don't want to go in the wrong direction. Also maybe something more muscle-building focused, like P90x, would be better?

Laughfrodisiac

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 6:59 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I second P90X if you want to do muscle. I'm doing Insanity right now because I have a little to lose, but P90X rocks for gains. I got mine on ebay for about $60-70. I could have gotten it cheaper but I was trying to find a legit source rather than the multitudes I suspect may have been pirates.

Also, if you want to go super-duper cheap, you could just do You Are Your Own Gym by Mark Lauren. If you have a smart phone, the app is like $2 and the book on amazon is under $15. It works really well and I had strength gains faster than P90X when I was doing it, I just needed to add some cardio/endurance for a while so I stopped because I think it and Insanity would be too much for me.

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 6:56 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

If you are really just wanting to gain muscle mass, I don't think any Beachbody product will be right for you. P90X has lots of resistance work in it, but it's really about overall fitness. Not adding lots of pounds of muscle. You burn so many calories in those P90X workouts that in order to gain muscle and lose or maintain weight you need to be REALLY careful about what you eat and how many calories, and you gotta get it exactly right. Too many calories and you'll add fat. Too few and you'll burn the muscle you just worked hard to gain. You can get very lean and ripped-looking on P90X, and then you can add calories and more weight training to make your muscles stand out more. This takes a long time.

Depending on your goals, you might be better off downloading some basic weight training routines (upper body one day, lower body the next, cardio or rest day, then repeat forever). You'll need to do a lot fewer reps (6-8 as Tony Horton says) with heavier weights to get the definition quickly, but it can be done!

My 2 cents anyway.

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 4:53 am 

Oh really? I knew people did it for weight loss but I thought that all depended on the shape you were in beforehand, for example if you need to drop some weight you will, and replace some fat with muscle, hence the 'ripped' after photos.
It's a shame because it looks good, especially for stamina. I've heard P90X is good but was more interested in insanity because you dont need equipment. I seem to be more motivated to keep up an exercise routine if I do a DVD, not sure why, I think it's because when I start I dont want to turn it off, whereas when I'm on my own with weights or something I guess I just get a bit bored, I dunno.

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 7:32 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

VanillaDoe wrote:
Oh really? I knew people did it for weight loss but I thought that all depended on the shape you were in beforehand, for example if you need to drop some weight you will, and replace some fat with muscle, hence the 'ripped' after photos.
It's a shame because it looks good, especially for stamina. I've heard P90X is good but was more interested in insanity because you dont need equipment. I seem to be more motivated to keep up an exercise routine if I do a DVD, not sure why, I think it's because when I start I dont want to turn it off, whereas when I'm on my own with weights or something I guess I just get a bit bored, I dunno.

I completely understand that, I pretty much need someone in front of me telling me exactly what to do or else I'll either forget what to do or wander off.

If you're also looking to build stamina, Insanity would be great and you probably would build some muscle, just primarily in your legs and core area. I've also noticed my triceps flex out a little bigger, too. I don't think there is any problem doing Insanity if you don't really want to lose weight, just make sure to figure out how many calories you need and get them! P90X is fun (and still probably my favorite) BUT in my experience, it doesn't build stamina. I say this because after doing it for a month and a half I went running and realized after only a minute or two I was still screwed if the zombie apocalypse came within the month.

Here's one calculator:

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/calori ... or/NU00598

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 9:46 am 

Thanks Bekki thats pretty helpful! It tells me I need 1900 a day, but with trying to gain I've been averaging about 2000-2500 so I dont think it would be a problem for me to keep up with a higher amount on insanity.
I wouldnt be purchasing it untill I finish uni for the year (another month or so) and I may have reached a fair weight by then in which I can just maintain and tone up on, and get some rocking thighs for the summer.

Oh and of course outrun them zombies.
I'm betting the outbreak is going to occur during the Olympics. Since I'll be about 2 hours from London, I don't think it'd take long for some zombie althetes to make their way down to where I live.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2043 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62 ... 82  Next