| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 7:35 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2043 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 82  Next
 Post subject: Re: Beachbody Fitness (P90X, Insanity, etc.)
PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 7:56 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

Karma007 wrote:

Good to know! 45 minutes is about when I gave up. I'll give it one more try.

Kenpo tomorrow morning!

how did the rest of your first week go?

we've finally hit recovery phase two, we slept in on Tuesday and had to bump legs/back to last night and then did kenpo this morning so tomorrow is day one of week eight.

I've been working my butt off but don't feel like there's much chance I'll have any noticeably difference by the end of week 13. Good thing I've cancelled my gym membership and am just going to have to keep going with this! : )

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:31 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

oncewerewesties wrote:

how did the rest of your first week go?

we've finally hit recovery phase two, we slept in on Tuesday and had to bump legs/back to last night and then did kenpo this morning so tomorrow is day one of week eight.

I've been working my butt off but don't feel like there's much chance I'll have any noticeably difference by the end of week 13. Good thing I've cancelled my gym membership and am just going to have to keep going with this! : )

You totally kick asparagus! My first 7 Days took me 9, which, considering my schedule, is pretty good. I would have started week two today, but a refinery explosion=power outage= going out to dinner derailed my plans. I may start week two tomorrow, but then it's Friday and the husband is off, so it may be a couple days. No excuses, just life. I would like to be %100 everyday, but as we all know, that's easier said than done. I'm having fun, which is the most important thing.

After my birthday next week, we seriously control the diet....

Once I get going, I can do this, but honestly in the last year I've gotten married, started a new job, and bought a house in the last 30 days. If I can work out 4x per week right now, I'm golden.
I'm also thinking of interspersing more cycling in between weight days (example- weights, kempo, ride, weights). in order to work on my form in the off season. It's starting to rain here, so any day I can get out for a ride is nice.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:36 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

I need a kick in the pants, guys. I'm actually eating pretty well, but the last time I worked out was last Thursday. I meant to get up early this morning, but I slept in because I was so tired. I was a little sick earlier this week, but I have no real excuse not to be exercising today. I know I can do this, and that I'll feel better after, so what's wrong with me?

Also, if I start Phase II today, that puts my yoga day on Sunday, so I don't have to get up super early, or come home and use up 90 minutes of free time, so really, I'm out of excuses!

I know if I work out, I sleep better, it really helps manage my mood, I'll be stronger, it's good for my bones, etc. Ok, I can do this!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 7:20 pm 

Karma007 wrote:

I'm having fun, which is the most important thing.

After my birthday next week, we seriously control the diet....

Once I get going, I can do this, but honestly in the last year I've gotten married, started a new job, and bought a house in the last 30 days. If I can work out 4x per week right now, I'm golden.
I'm also thinking of interspersing more cycling in between weight days (example- weights, kempo, ride, weights). in order to work on my form in the off season. It's starting to rain here, so any day I can get out for a ride is nice.

yup, you totally have to do what works for you! Breaking it up a bit with some cycling will give you a bit more recovery time between some of the tough workouts, and add in that extra bit of variety that will hopefully help you feel like keeping going! : )

designedtobekind wrote:
Also, if I start Phase II today, that puts my yoga day on Sunday, so I don't have to get up super early, or come home and use up 90 minutes of free time, so really, I'm out of excuses!

I know if I work out, I sleep better, it really helps manage my mood, I'll be stronger, it's good for my bones, etc. Ok, I can do this!

you really can!
also, thinking about scheduling [what day of the week yoga falls on and stuff] is a really smart way to look at it. Our workout week starts on Friday and that works really well for us. Good luck kicking some arse today!

We had core synergistics this morning, I love it but it's pretty intense for the 'recovery' week! We were both covered in sweat before 6am, now that's a good start to the day! : )

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:49 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

designedtobekind wrote:
I've still been working out! I've just been busy with work, and MoFoing, but I'm still hanging in!

Me too, I feel like VeganMoFo is getting in the way of P90X and now selling our house is getting in the way of VeganMoFo, I feel like everything's gone crazy but in a good way.

bekki wrote:
So, I'm not sure what my "official" 3 week progress is, but since my first Day 1 (in early September) but a full inch on the largest part of my belly and about an inch from the smallest part of my waist! This is with not really following any nutrition plan to speak of and skimping on the ab ripper several days. I am also really starting to see definition in my arms and shoulders, which is nice...it makes me feel all strong.

Congrats!

gaia13 wrote:
How hard are these workouts on your knees? I've been tempted to buy P90X for some time, but I'm worried that it'll be too much for my knees to take and then I'll feel like I just wasted a ton of money :(

My knees aren't great, the first few weeks were fine but during the last 2 Legs & Back workouts my left knee has ached. I had physio and acupuncture on it last week. I also modify Plyo so I don't jump up and down too much and I never, ever do hot foot, instead I jog or skip.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:04 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Kitteh wrote:
designedtobekind wrote:
I've still been working out! I've just been busy with work, and MoFoing, but I'm still hanging in!

Me too, I feel like VeganMoFo is getting in the way of P90X and now selling our house is getting in the way of VeganMoFo, I feel like everything's gone crazy but in a good way.

I feel like this, except that for me there's no house selling, just the crazy last month of the semester getting in the way of everything. Right now I think I'm about 2000 items behind on reading MoFo blogs and a day behind on P90X...and a month behind on school.

gaia13-they can be hard on your knees but he reminds you to take it easy and just do what you can. There's also an alternate disc for plyo (the jumping) that he highly recommends if you have serious knee issues or just don't feel ready for the higher impact. That's probably what I like the most about the series-Tony stresses pushing yourself to the limit but staying safe with good form that works for you.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 11:32 am 

I think I might start Phase I over again, and just keep doing it until I can really do some regular push-ups. I tried Phase II yesterday, and I stopped before I was even 1/2 done. It's not like I'm in a competition with anyone but myself, so I figure there's no shame in it.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 3:22 pm 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

Okay, I'm going to give this a go. I have a couple questions, though:

1. What is the absolute bare minimum of equipment you need for this? I have a yoga mat and workout gear. I know I need to get some weights (planning on getting some 2 or 3 pounders and some 5 pounders - I have very, very little upper body strength, so I think that should do me for now, right?), but is there anything else?

2. What do you think is the best thing to do when you can't finish a workout? When I did workouts before, I couldn't always finish. Should I wait a bit and try to finish later? Or just do what I can and gradually increase how long I can go?

I am terrible at sticking to things like this, so I hope I'm able to do it and begin feeling strong and energized!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 3:43 pm 

You also need a pull-up bar, or if you're like me, and can't even hang on the bar--you can use resistance bands and a door adapter, or you can do pull-ups with a chair-assist. I prefer the bands with the door adapter because I can do a lot of reps that way. That's really all you need. You can also get push-up stands if you have wrist issues, but they aren't really necessary. They also recommend a heart rate monitor, to make sure you're working out hard enough/not too hard, but I don't know if that's a necessity either. I figure if I'm breathing hard and sweating, I'm doing pretty well.

I tend to just do as many reps as I can, then take breaks. For the harder cardio workouts, I broke them up the first couple of weeks. I think it's really up to you. The whole idea is to just truly try your best. Sometimes that means coming back later, sometimes it means you're just done for the day after 30 minutes.

Just my two cents, anyway!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 4:01 pm 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

Thanks! That's very helpful.

I think we have a pull up bar, but I can't do pull ups, so maybe a resistance band is a good option for me. Any guidance on how to figure out what strength of band I need? My local sports store has a set of 4 resistance bands for $13, which is a good deal (http://www.sportsbasement.com/store/20- ... +Bands+F08). Do those look sufficient? I do have a ladder attached to one of my walls I can use the bands with, so is that good enough?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 5:48 pm 
Bought 20lbs of vegan protein powder

I finally got back in! I modified a bunch and wimped out a few minutes early once or twice, but I finished Kenpo no problem last night - woo!

JoPa - my upper body strength sucks too - I started with a pair of 5lbs and 8lbs and now I want 10lb-ers. It is better to modify like crazy and do some wimpy nothing version than to stop and sit down - remember that (I try to:)

The ladder is firmly anchored to the wall? Those bands will work, but they might hurt your hands a little because they don't have the grips - that's what I used for awhile.

"It's because I'm judging them. Harshly. Judgey McJudgerson." - mel c

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 6:48 pm 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

Thanks, Appi! I ended up just getting some 5 pounders and one medium-resistance band with grips. The ladder is firmly anchored to the wall, so I think it will work well with the band.

I think I now have the tools I need, so I'm going to get started soon!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 6:56 pm 

Cool! It's fun and I feel awesome when I finish a workout. Let me/us know if you have questions :)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 7:36 am 

Apparently the rumors of the 3rd phase being magic are true. I started P90X at 149/150 and not only did I not lose weight (though I did lose inches of my waist) but I actually went up to 153. Well over the last few days I suddenly experienced a slide, despite having taken a week or so off and being kinda slack in my work outs. I went from 147.4 to 145.8 this morning (and I totally skipped last night's workout because my throat was/is sore and my sinuses have been in a constant state of draining and I feel miserable). Let that bring hope to you ladies - the weight loss - not the sinus suffering. :) And that's while slacking! Yawn. I shall remotivate!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 11:44 am 
Not NOT A Furry

I am postponing the workouts for a few days. I've got a cold, cold sore, and a schedule that involves making cupcakes, eating cupcakes, and a few dinners out (poor me, right?)

As I'm only a week in to it, I'll probably start from the beginning late this week or early next.

The good news is, I didn't get a cookie at Starbucks. For reasons other than weight loss, it's a big deal.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 6:28 pm 

designedtobekind wrote:
I think I might start Phase I over again, and just keep doing it until I can really do some regular push-ups. I tried Phase II yesterday, and I stopped before I was even 1/2 done. It's not like I'm in a competition with anyone but myself, so I figure there's no shame in it.

yeah, I think in the booklet it says if you don't feel like you've 'mastered' the exercises you can extend each phase but that you shouldn't extend any one phase to longer than six weeks. Definitely no shame at all! We're in week 8 and I still can't do a single pullup, so yeah....

appifanie wrote:
Apparently the rumors of the 3rd phase being magic are true. I started P90X at 149/150 and not only did I not lose weight (though I did lose inches of my waist) but I actually went up to 153. Well over the last few days I suddenly experienced a slide, despite having taken a week or so off and being kinda slack in my work outs. I went from 147.4 to 145.8 this morning (and I totally skipped last night's workout because my throat was/is sore and my sinuses have been in a constant state of draining and I feel miserable). Let that bring hope to you ladies - the weight loss - not the sinus suffering. :) And that's while slacking! Yawn. I shall remotivate!

awesome! Hope your sinuses feel better soon, that's a totally sucky feeling! : /
I didn't know there were rumours about the magic of the third phase but that's interesting. I'm not going for weight loss, just increased fitness/strength, and my husband's going for strength/muscle building and we start week nine/phase three on Friday this week...

Karma007 wrote:
I am postponing the workouts for a few days. I've got a cold, cold sore, and a schedule that involves making cupcakes, eating cupcakes, and a few dinners out (poor me, right?)

Don't know how you do it! ; )
Starting again sounds like probably the right thing to do seeing you're only just getting in to it, good luck when you launch back in! : )

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:29 am 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

I just started week one for the third week in a row. I get going, then life gets in the way, or I want to sleep in or go out for drinks and I'm off for days. So, I started again today and I'm trying to modify my schedule so that I only do the cardio parts on the weekend or have my rest day then, cause it's the only time I get to see my boyfriend.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:35 am 

oncewerewesties wrote:

appifanie wrote:

awesome! Hope your sinuses feel better soon, that's a totally sucky feeling! : /
I didn't know there were rumours about the magic of the third phase but that's interesting. I'm not going for weight loss, just increased fitness/strength, and my husband's going for strength/muscle building and we start week nine/phase three on Friday this week...

yeah, for women the 3rd phase is biggest for weight loss

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:35 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

jordanpattern wrote:
1. What is the absolute bare minimum of equipment you need for this? I have a yoga mat and workout gear. I know I need to get some weights (planning on getting some 2 or 3 pounders and some 5 pounders - I have very, very little upper body strength, so I think that should do me for now, right?), but is there anything else?

2. What do you think is the best thing to do when you can't finish a workout? When I did workouts before, I couldn't always finish. Should I wait a bit and try to finish later? Or just do what I can and gradually increase how long I can go?

I started with a mat and weights (500g - 2kg) then I bought a set of weights that goes up to 10kg. I still don't have bands or a pull up bar but in the new year I will get some bands. And I got a heart rate monitor, it's not necessary but it did make me work harder once I started wearing it. I think you'll find this a work out program you can stick with! If you can't finish a work out, just skip through it and do the bits you can do and work up to completing the whole thing.

appifanie wrote:

Go you! I am going to get back into it this week, it's week 8 so I'm not that worried but I haven't worked out for a few days, I'm going to do plyo and kenpo this week at the minimum and try fit in some of the other work outs too

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 6:49 pm 

appifanie wrote:
yeah, for women the 3rd phase is biggest for weight loss

sweet, well that will be interesting then!

Cowgirl wrote:
I just started week one for the third week in a row. I get going, then life gets in the way, or I want to sleep in or go out for drinks and I'm off for days. So, I started again today and I'm trying to modify my schedule so that I only do the cardio parts on the weekend or have my rest day then, cause it's the only time I get to see my boyfriend.

definitely sounds like fiddling with your schedule is a good idea so you can get it to a point where you can start moving on the programme, even if you're only doing a workout every second day, or focussed at one end of the week or something... good luck! : )

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:55 pm 

any/everyone still rocking along?

This week got a bit out of order for us due to my husband doing to much mid-week partying, but we got there - about to go home and do yoga now, then we start week nine with chest and back again tomorrow morning. Stoked to get back into the weights workouts, I'm worried about how much harder this week might be given how long it's been since we did chest/back and shoulders/arms though....

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 3:32 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Okay guys, I'm considering the P90x stuff if we can find some weights on marktplaats for cheap. And maybe a pull-up bar for xmas. Is that all you need? The weights and the pull-up bar? I have a yoga mat - no yoga blocks, though.

Wondering what you absolutely have to have to get going on this.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 3:36 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Oh wait, you guys just answered this question earlier in the thread. I like the idea of using resistance bands instead of the pull-up bar because I know for sure I can't do a pull-up right now. I can't even do a push-up.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 3:06 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

pickledtreats wrote:
Oh wait, you guys just answered this question earlier in the thread. I like the idea of using resistance bands instead of the pull-up bar because I know for sure I can't do a pull-up right now. I can't even do a push-up.

You'll be there in no time! I was amazed at my progress in just a few weeks. I still can't do many pull-ups, 3 on a good day (and I don't have many good days) but it's a start.

I'm pretty irritated with myself, things kept getting in the way and now it's been a full week. I'm starting back tonight.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 3:49 pm 

Hi guys~ I went from kenpo to my chest/shoulders/tri to being so tired last night I went to bed at 9 - 9!! I figured doing plyo while exhausted was bad. I realized the exhaustion is from the topamax I'm on and I'm going to start weaning off the topamax today so hopefully I can get my energy back. Hoping to get Plyo in tonight!!

:))

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2043 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 82  Next