| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:38 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2043 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75 ... 82  Next
 Post subject: Re: Beachbody Fitness (P90X, Insanity, etc.)
PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 1:14 pm 
Bought 20lbs of vegan protein powder

Mmm french toast!

I thought today was Kenpo and I was psyched but it's Yoga, so I'm just freaked. I love Yoga, but I don't like power/flow yoga, so the first 45 minutes are a torture I never made it through. Luckily, I just found this helpful article: http://www.amandakjones.com/p90x-yoga-s ... -do-it.php

"It's because I'm judging them. Harshly. Judgey McJudgerson." - mel c

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 1:37 pm 

1. It’s a journey, not a destination. Yes, the name of the program is P90X, but it should be more like PLifetimeX. You are making an investment in yourself. Once you get through Round 1 (and you will!), you will understand.

2. Follow the program as closely as possible. Yes, this means the nutrition part, too (more on that below). Read the guides! There’s a lot of great information in them. Until you have completed at least one round, you are not the expert on how this works for your body. It took years to put this program together; please give it 90 days of your respect and trust to see how it works. As you know (because you just read it), your life as a fit person won’t stop on Day 90; you’ll have plenty of chances to fine tune in the years ahead.

3. Follow the nutrition plan. That said, remember that it’s a suggested guide only. Read the book; then, listen to your body. If you are following the portion plan, track your calories using an online tool (I used MyPlate at livestrong.com; there are lots of others), but don’t expect the percentages of carbs/protein/fat to match the percentages in the nutrition guide (that’s because food rarely contains only one type of nutrient). Measure and weigh everything (yes, with measuring cups/spoons and a scale). I found it useful to grill a bunch of chicken breasts on Sunday, then slice and pre-measure them into baggies for the rest of the week. To get a sense of my calorie “pacing,” I often I prefilled MyPlate with my anticipated food intake for the day in the morning, to be sure I’d either leave enough calories (but not too many) for dinner. Eating a protein-heavy diet like the Fat Shredder in Phase I can really be a challenge (one carb?? Surely you jest, Tony…), but the first month passes soon enough, and whey powder is a godsend. Vegetarian? Other dietary challenges? There are a host of others on the message boards, as well as professional Beachbody staff ready to help and offer advice on adapting this program to your particular dietary needs.

4. Do the Fit Test, take your photos, and record your measurements. Yeah, I know you are embarrassed by how you look and what you cannot do. But you cannot fully gauge your progress without data points to compare along the way. You will amaze yourself.

5. Almost no one can do a chinup or a pullup (I still don't know the difference). It’s okay, really. Unless you are Jack Bauer, you probably won’t be dangling off buildings anytime soon. There’s a great series of videos on YouTube on the making of P90X (they’re highly entertaining!). In the episode when the test group takes the Fit Test, one of the trainers admits that approximately 90 percent of the people in the room couldn’t do one.

6. Core Synergistics and Kenpo X are not the same as Yoga X. You need to do Yoga X. Break it into two workouts if you must, but trust that it is a vital component of the program.

7. The hardest part is pushing Play. Just showing up is 75% of the challenge (patience is easily the other 25%). I set my alarm for 5 a.m. and did my workouts first thing; it provided a backup plan in case the mornings went awry (which they sometimes did). I am not a morning person! I became a morning person (so did my three dogs, which is another story…). Chances are that you will have to carve out new space in your schedule to accommodate the program. Remember why you are doing this: Because you want to change. Not just your body needs to change; your lifestyle must as well.

8. You can do this. You aren’t too old, fat, out of shape, or busy. Unless your doctor has told you that you can’t take on P90X for medical reasons, you have no excuse. Really.

9. The Pause button is your friend. There is no shame in taking a little longer to complete the workouts. The folks in the videos are androids. (Well, maybe not androids, but finely oiled machines! They’ve had a bit more practice than you probably have.) As the weeks progress, you will rely on Pause less and less.

10. Hold yourself accountable and ask others to do the same. Monitor your progress. Use the WOWY calendar and log your workouts; fill out your worksheets (which you can find online at the “Get Fit/Fitness Tools” area of the website.) Find a workout group/message thread and join it, or start one of your own. Check in with your coach (more on that below).

11. The Internet is a beautiful thing. You wouldn’t be reading this without it. You can learn from so many others who have taken this journey before you. Whenever I felt discouraged, I read a Success Story on the Team Beachbody website or watched testimonial videos on YouTube. They never get old. I’m making one of my own soon. Hopefully, it will encourage someone else.

12. Your body is not my body is not his body is not her body. Okay, I know I just told you to go and seek out examples of other people’s success, but you must remember that your body will transform at its own personal (and highly guarded secret) pace, to be revealed on Day 90—or, for many of us, in Round 2 and beyond. This is especially true for women! (You may hear the program referred to as P120X; sorry, gals – that’s just biology at work.) It might have taken you years (or even decades) to reach this state of bodily disrepair, so is it really reasonable to think you can undo all that neglect and those bad habits in just three months?

13. Expect resistance, and not just from the workouts themselves. You may find that those closest to you may to discourage or even outright sabotage your efforts. Change scares people, and if others see you changing they might think it means you are pulling away from the relationship.

14. Ab Ripper X gets easier. Yes, yes; it really does. Keep your remote handy for this one and pause when you need to. I couldn’t do any of the “roll-up” type moves on Day 1 (or finish most of the rest of them) and it freaked me out. By the beginning of Phase 3, however, I was doing the entire workout and throwing in 50 extra Mason Twists, just because I could. (Note: There is no worksheet for ARX included in the download from the Beachbody site, but several folks have created their own; just Google it.)

15. Celebrate the little milestones along the way. This might be something as simple as mastering a single one of those V-up/Roll-ups, or slipping into a beloved pair of old jeans you haven’t worn in years. Before you know it, your milestones will be so plentiful that you can’t remember them all. Then it will be Day 90. And you can reach for new ones in Round 2.

16. This one’s for the ladies: You may notice a change in your menstrual cycle. You may skip a cycle, have your period earlier, experience a heavier flow, and so forth. This seems to be relatively common. If it persists more than one month, however, check with your doctor.

17. Remember: P90X is not a weight-loss program per se, but a body transformation program. You may as well hide the bathroom scale in the back of your closet – it won’t be telling you the complete story. You might even notice the numbers going up slightly for a while, as your body retains water to protect your screaming muscles. This will probably concern you. So, don’t get on the scale. (Dr. John Hussman has written some wonderful articles about this – Google his website “Hussman Fitness” and see esp. the article about how your body transforms from the inside out in the section dealing with The Scale.) You may not be losing “pounds,” but you will be transforming fat into lean muscle (which weighs more). You cannot spot tone; fat comes off in layers. That’s why your upper body will show results first; we have less fat there to begin with. Your abs are probably going to be the last part to make an appearance, because we tend to hold weight in our bellies—and, women, in our thighs and hips (Sigh).

18. Expect your mind to transform, too. Within weeks of starting P90X, even though my muscles ached, I felt fabulous. As our friends at the Merck Manual explain: “Exercise increases the body's level of endorphins, chemicals in the brain that reduce pain and induce a sense of well-being. Thus, exercise appears to help improve mood and energy levels and may even help relieve depression. Exercise may also help boost self-esteem by improving a person's overall health and appearance.” I’m sure I drove my coworkers crazy talking about how good I felt, but I felt so good about myself I didn’t notice their eye rolls!

19. Recovery Week is not a vacation. While the intensity of the workouts is slightly less, you will still be working hard during your recovery weeks, when the emphasis is more on cardio and less on weight training. (Did I mention that you get to do Yoga X twice?)

20. Don’t be surprised by what I like to call the “P90X Doldrums.” There may be a time when it seems like nothing is happening (for me it was Phase2, and hit full force around Day 50). The measuring tape wasn’t going anywhere; the scale wasn’t going anywhere (hey, I didn’t claim to be perfect); the workouts got significantly harder (Chest/Shoulders/Triceps!). It’s like you’ve been sailing full speed ahead, then you hit a spot where the wind ain’t at your back anymore, and you have to pick up the oars and row hard. This will pass. Use your support network to get you through. The program is designed to peak in the final phase. Trust, keep working hard, and be patient. (Oh, and I don’t advise trying on bathing suits then, either!)

21. This ain’t no silly little workout from the ’70s. Yes, as Tony tells us, the X stands for extreme. If it were easy, it wouldn’t be worth doing. The first week will probably kick your butt (and, to a large extent, so the next 12 weeks will, too). You will be really sore. I could barely raise my arms and pull off my shirt after doing Plyo for the first time (much less shampoo my hair!). Don’t be discouraged. You can do anything for 30 seconds or 60 seconds. And, if you can’t do it for the full 30 seconds or 60 seconds yet, do it for as long as you can, and modify the moves if you need to. (We can’t all be Leapy Boy like Dom in Plyometrics!) When Tony says, “Do your best, and… (everyone join in now) …. forget the rest!” he means it.

22. Drink your water! Get your sleep! Both are vital.

23. Pay it forward. Chances are, when you first joined the Team Beachbody community, you looked to others for help, support, and inspiration. Be that person to someone else. Share your photos! Make your own transformation video and post it on YouTube. Post a cheerful greeting to others in WOWY when you log in. Consider it a form of community service—we need more healthy, fit people in this great country of ours. Become a Buddy to someone new and mentor that person.

24. Accept that Life Happens. And, as frustrating as it can seem, there will be times when you have to miss a workout (or three) or blow your diet because you cannot always be in control. Setbacks are no excuse to give up. Add an extra week if you need to. Start over if you need to.

25. Connect with your coach. Did you even know you have a coach? Everyone is assigned one when they register (see “My Coach” under the “Connect” menu tab). If your coach isn’t a resource and positive support, then request a new one (all it takes is an email with that person’s name or screen name to coachrelations@teambeachbody.com). You may not think a coach is necessary, but it’s a benefit of your Beachbody investment, and part of the total package you purchase. Your coach receives rewards for your business. It’s only fair that you receive a good coach in return. When you are ready to take your fitness commitment to a new level, consider becoming a Beachbody Coach yourself. It’s a great way to hold yourself accountable while you reap extra benefits of your healthy new lifestyle (beginning with a 25% discount on your own purchases).

26. You can do this. (Yes, I am repeating myself but this is something that bears repeating.)

27. There are no shortcuts to anywhere worth going. Enjoy the journey!

And, when you are ready for Round 2:

28. Be sure to take at least one week off and let your body fully recover. Light cardio (brisk walks, easy cycling, swimming), stretching, yoga, etc. should be the order of the day. After 13 weeks of pounding your body, it needs a break. You should follow the nutrition plan (probably at Phase 2) but don’t drop your calories too much. Even without all the workouts, I dropped a pound during my rest week (not too shabby, considering I had only lost 6 during the program.) You will probably find it challenging to slow the pace, but your body will thank you by being primed and ready to Bring It in Round 2!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 9:13 pm 
Hip Goiter

Appi thanks for all these posts! So inspiring and helpful. I love hearing about your journey back into it! I also LOVE that list of how you know you're obsessed -- I totally respond to 'superman' with 'banana'! :)

Laughfrodisiac

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 3:21 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Just started P90X Lean on Saturday. I did ab-ripper 3x a week last year (my friend sent it to me, I didn't have all the P90X DVDs back then) until almost the second trimester of my pregnancy (and my abs looked fab) and had decided to do P90x after I had the baby, so here I am. I exercised all throughout my pregnancy (seriously, 40-50 minutes a day, almost every day) and was really looking forward to starting P90X. I had to take 2 weeks off after giving birth and not exercise at all, which was driving me nuts! I'm a bit over 2 months post-partum now.

How is Insanity vs P90X? I've been thinking of trying that next. I know it's a lot more cardio, but is it as fun? I really like that Tony Horton is so jolly during the exercises, it kind of distracts me from the work and makes them go by faster. I also love that they sweat and stumble sometimes instead of everyone looking perfect and not out of breath.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 6:36 am 

RandiJM wrote:
Appi thanks for all these posts! So inspiring and helpful. I love hearing about your journey back into it! I also LOVE that list of how you know you're obsessed -- I totally respond to 'superman' with 'banana'! :)

Thanks! That huge one was copied from someone at the Beachbody forums. It's actually been an easier journey back than I ever thought it would be. Also, P90X is way better than walking or running outside (it was 102 yesterday, glargh).

Crabby! Working out through pregnancy! Well done. I'd had a stillbirth before Livi so when I was pregnant with her I sat on my butt the whole time. I've been telling myself that if I do a great job at P90X this time I'll buy Insanity as a reward. Ha! Reward! I totally agree with you about Tony. Plus, I think that the idea you can say to people "I've done P90X" (or Insanity) and that sort of MEANS something, you know?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:29 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

I did ARX yesterday. I hope I don't have to laugh or anything today! My Lard, I let too much time go by and it was toooouuugggh.

Crabby, I like Insanity. It is a lot more cardio but I think it is just as fun. It can sort of get repetitive if you are following the schedule in that a lot of the warmups are the same, but overall, yes, I like it. I also like Asylum. That is harder than Insanity in a way, but there is more strength.

Of the Beachbody products, I've done and liked P90X, Insanity, and Asylum. I've done P90X2 and was meh. I gave Turbofire a couple minutes and didn't like it (too dancy). I also did the various workouts in Tapout XT (not Beachbody, and I posted upthread a little about it) and liked them.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 2:38 pm 

shaun t is going to be in town, but it's at least $30 and no 2nd parent, so a def no for me. but he's been here before so who knows. http://shauntlivefayetteville.com/

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:22 pm 

got super pukey during legs&back last night so I did 1/2 yesterday and then today i did the other half AND kenpo and i'm going to go do ab ripper. slowly. while watching arrested development and wishing I had a frozen, chocolate coated banana.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 5:24 pm 
Hip Goiter

I love Insanity for giving me really strong thigh muscles that let me do lots of jumping squat whatever moves.
I hate Insanity bc I can no longer find/wear pants.
That is all.

Laughfrodisiac

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 6:39 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

RandiJM wrote:
I love Insanity for giving me really strong thigh muscles that let me do lots of jumping squat whatever moves.
I hate Insanity bc I can no longer find/wear pants.
That is all.

Truth! With weightlifting, I am having the same issue. I feel great and strong but eh, pants. I need to invest in more skirts.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:00 pm 

I was going to say, dresses!

I keep getting heart burn at night while exercising lately. Urrrgh.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:08 pm 
Hip Goiter

Haha yeah luckily my closet is and always has been full of skirts and dresses. Just was out shopping today with my mom and remembered, oh yeah, I can't find pants! But in funner news, some world championships of gymnastics (with Kyla Ross & McKayla Maroney!) was just on tv and I was like HELL YEAH! bc I love seeing how insanely muscular they are and that at least in the thigh region, they're just like me! (Of course, not any other part of them like their amazing arms/talent/dedication/everything else, ahah.)

Appi, is that new with this new round of working out? Are you working out at a different time than before, or eating anything different? That really sucks and I hope you figure out what's wrong. I've been getting really bad cramps towards the end of my workouts lately. And I don't know if my breathing is off or if I'm drinking too much or too little water or what, but it sucks. Ughhh.

Laughfrodisiac

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:48 pm 

I'm pretty sure it's new and I have no idea. I was wondering if it's worse on days where I have my 2nd cup of coffee (around 2pm). However. Today. Day one of my period. And plyo day. Not going to happen.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:10 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

appifanie wrote:
Plus, I think that the idea you can say to people "I've done P90X" (or Insanity) and that sort of MEANS something, you know?

Totally! It totally means something! I feel like I will be so tough and hardcore after the 90 days. My friend (the one who got me into P90X) did it with her family -- her husband and 11 year old daughter! I am really impressed. (I'm also thinking of getting Insanity as a 'reward' after P90X!)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 2:17 pm 

TheCrabbyCrafter wrote:
appifanie wrote:
Plus, I think that the idea you can say to people "I've done P90X" (or Insanity) and that sort of MEANS something, you know?

Totally! It totally means something! I feel like I will be so tough and hardcore after the 90 days. My friend (the one who got me into P90X) did it with her family -- her husband and 11 year old daughter! I am really impressed. (I'm also thinking of getting Insanity as a 'reward' after P90X!)

Hurray!

The scale has gone up a pound, but my waist is measuring down about 1/2 - 1"!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 4:39 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

Awesome, appifanie. The measurements are what matter!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 7:01 pm 

I try to remember that! It's really tough sometimes.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 8:23 pm 
Hip Goiter

I did Max Interval Plyo today for the first time in at least a month (probably longer). Did you know that if you did all of the Level 3 Drills, you do 96 pushups? W.T.F. I do about 20 total. Man alive. I can't even imagine! And that's not counting the power pushups and whatever other pushuppy things are strewn about in there. F-ing crazy.

Also, does anyone feel solid about the the side pushups at the end, when your hands are in a right angle and you are balancing on one side of one foot? I have to modify bc it ends up really hurting whatever ankle is down. And I just feel like they are so awkward.

Laughfrodisiac

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:02 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

I'm soooo with you on the Level 3 pushups. Even if I use my knees I still can't do that many pushups. So, no, you are not alone. I probably do like 4 pushups per drill. And the side pushups are...interesting. I usually modify too. I think I don't use my ankle; I actually come down on my leg and just focus on putting the weight on my arms so I am not cheating too much, or at least so my arms are still getting the workout. Gotta love that Shaun T.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 12:05 pm 

It's Yoga X day. *stalls*

I never got great at push-ups either! And those military push-ups? I can't even do those on my knees. What's up with those?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 1:02 pm 
Hip Goiter

Seriously with the military pushups! What muscles do they work? Because apparently I don't have them.

Laughfrodisiac

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:41 pm 

Triceps? They're a bisque. If my hubs was around I'd make him show me a push-up to see if the military really does them that way.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 6:29 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Day 11: Yoga X day for me. (I'm doing P90X Lean.) My husband left early to go hiking, so I have had to split the routine into 3 parts. I did the first 35-ish minutes this morning before my husband left, the next 30 minutes while baby Vax napped. Hopefully, Vax will take another nap this afternoon or at least be chill enough to hang out while I finish up.

I think so far Arms and Shoulders is my favourite routine -- and for some reason, I can do a ton of those side tri-rises!! Kenpo is definitely the most challenging. I was so sweaty and tired at the end of it. I've never been a big fan of cardio (I like Cardio X, though), because I hate it when I am horribly out of breath (which is why I don't enjoy running/jogging), but I force myself to do it anyway.

Are any of you guys doing a modified version of their mealplan or tracking calories? I am weighing all my food, which I find really interesting, keeping a food diary, and doing the 1800 calorie-thing. Most days I am okay with this, but some days, I am SO HUNGRY. My husband bought 2 red cabbages from the grocery store last week and I have been gorging myself on it (usually in some form of cabbage + pasta)-- it's filling and low cal.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 6:38 am 

You can do side-tri-rises! Good for you! I can't. Ugh.

I set out to do the meal plan but quit really fast - mostly because I was freaking about what soymilk could count as. I am calorie tracking and 1800 is plenty for me, but I'm 5'. I start my days with smoothies with rice protein and I do have a recovery drink of apple juice and rice protein. If you're only super hungry some days, I think you're probably fine to have a few hundred extra calories. *forgetful* Are you breastfeeding?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:35 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

appifanie wrote:
You can do side-tri-rises! Good for you! I can't. Ugh.

I set out to do the meal plan but quit really fast - mostly because I was freaking about what soymilk could count as. I am calorie tracking and 1800 is plenty for me, but I'm 5'. I start my days with smoothies with rice protein and I do have a recovery drink of apple juice and rice protein. If you're only super hungry some days, I think you're probably fine to have a few hundred extra calories. *forgetful* Are you breastfeeding?

I can't do a proper push-up to save my life, so I was thrilled I could do the side tri-rises. I haven't done their meal plan or portions, but I like looking at their suggestions and I like some of their recipes.

Yeah, I am breastfeeding (a lot)! But I'm also not very tall, so 1800 calories while breastfeeding and P90Xing isn't *too* extreme.* I'll probably increase my calories a little once I slim up a bit more and probably allow some serious splurges now and then after P90X. I'm making better progress than I thought I would. I've lost a little weight in the last 2 weeks and I've not been as exhausted while exercising this week.

The real killer for me is that I love eating nuts (and trail mix!) and they are so high in calories -- 25g of Brazils (not even a handful) is 175 calories!

* I tried 1500 calories a day (down from probably 2300-2800 OM NOM NOM) for a few weeks about 16 months ago (I was breastfeeding then, too, although not as much) and didn't lose a single pound (exercising is really the only way for me to slim up), but constantly felt hungry. It was so, so horrible. (1800 is SO much easier.) A friend of mine suggested going down to 1200 calories a day to lose weight (that's what she does when she wants to slim up), but that is just too extreme for me.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2043 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75 ... 82  Next