| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:11 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2043 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82  Next
 Post subject: Re: Beachbody Fitness (P90X, Insanity, etc.)
PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 11:09 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

I ordered P90X3! Looking forward to training with it!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 10:28 pm 
Bought 20lbs of vegan protein powder

Probably! We're going to Disney in 2 months, so $$$. But 30 minutes a day!!! Magic. Conflicted.

"It's because I'm judging them. Harshly. Judgey McJudgerson." - mel c

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 11:18 pm 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

I think i'm going to get P90X3. The other way.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 10:00 am 
WRETCHED

I tried a few of the workouts and they are hard but modifiable. I tried them before some nasty bug decided to phlegm me up.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 10:27 am 

I bought it!

Modified P90X/2/3 is always better than sitting on your asparagus. That's what I tell myself when I'm doing a really bastardized version of a move.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 10:30 am 
Semen Strong

How much bouncing is there? I have terrible knees....

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 10:35 am 
WRETCHED

I have bad knees (and hips and back)... and from what I've tried, no bouncing. The yoga is fast paced and either I'll move at my snail pace or I'll substitute with another yoga video.

If you do come across a video that has bouncing, I'd just march in place (high knees and all that) and just do your own thing.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 11:02 am 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

I ordered P90X! Can't wait to get started.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 1:49 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I can't do the p90x version of yoga at all because of my wrists (old biking injury) so I've just been skipping it and doing the next one in the schedule and therefore have a bit of a different schedule than the written one, should I start subbing in a different yoga routine or? the problem is I can't do 99% of yoga, aside from a modified kids version that doesn't even make me break a sweat so I feel like that's not what I want out of a workout day.

suggestions??

edit: I should mention I tried to do p90x yoga modified the first round and it was almost not worth it because so many moves are wrist-heavy.

I have a blog: http://upthefolks.tumblr.com/
art: http://upthefolksstudio.tumblr.com/

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 3:57 pm 

Boober, the P90X yoga was so hard for me I started crying because I was so frustrated. I tried it once alone and got ten minutes in, then once with Brian and with his encouragement I made it about 25 minutes and that's when I started crying. I am super unflexible and the moves they did were hard with me, and when they just kept repeating and adding on I couldn't keep up.

So we swapped it with Candlelight Yoga by Sarah Ivanhoe, it's super basic, gentle, and the last few minutes is just laying on the floor with your eyes closed so you will probably want to take a nap afterwards. It does include downward facing dog, though, which might be a problem for your wrists. They took it off Netflix, but...

http://www.hulu.com/companies/gaiam

The one annoying thing about trying to do yoga videos off of hulu is that they still put in commercials. Some of the ones under ten minutes are commercial free and obviously you can just sit cross-legged and wait, but it always annoyed the shiitake out of me, especially since some of them are badly timed. And since most of them are short, you should be able to find a couple that you can do in sequence that you can do or easily modifiy. I wouldn't worry too much about making sure that you're getting a good workout with yoga, doing relaxing, easy yoga is better than not doing anything.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 4:42 pm 
Semen Strong

When I took classes, my instructor was able to show me ways to work around wrist discomfort - which mostly meant using props and putting weight on my forearms instead - http://www.yogajournal.com/practice/1247

I don't know the P90x yoga routine but I wonder if you could modify the downward dog and other wrist-heavy poses.

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 6:59 pm 
Hip Goiter

P90X3 arrived today!!! Wooot! I only ordered it what, 3 days ago? Crazy. I'm nervous to start! I want to do my Insanity tomorrow...I don't think I can say goodbye to ShaunT for 3 months. When are other peoples starting? Maybe we can start together. Maybe I will start next week.

The P90X yoga routine is my favorite, but I think Rodney Yee's Intermediate Yoga videos are somewhat similar. Boober, I can check to see which I'd recommend if you want, but I would definitely put SOME yoga in that spot, because it's an important aspect, just yoga in general. I think especially if you are new to yoga it would be beneficial just to start with any kind you are comfortable with.

Laughfrodisiac

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 7:04 pm 

My main problem with the yoga is that my balance is really bad, so that pose where you're in a lunge was horrible, and he just kept going back to that pose and adding more to it. So instead of it being like, "Okay, I only have to hold this for 30 seconds and then it's over until next week!" I kept having to do it and falling over a lot.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 9:26 am 

P90X Yoga is The Worst Yoga Ever. I got to be pretty okay in my old yoga class but YogaX? Kill me now. The way I do it is I do as much of the flow crepe as I can tolerate and then I fast forward to the balance poses and do all of those except the inverted ones.

Boober, can you do the stretch workout instead?

Randi that's exciting! I ordered yesterday :) They extended the sale for a few more days - free shipping, hat, extra workout. Here's the link I got in the email from my coach - https://extranet.securefreedom.com/Mill ... AddToCart=

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 4:40 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

mrsbadmouth- oh yeah! I liked that routine a lot when it was on netflix, but it was just... too relaxed to feel like I was doing stuff?

I do basic stretches and sun salutations every day just to work out kinks from the night before I deal with life, but the problem I have with yoga routines is that I don't feel any workout happening in the ones that are gentle enough not to hurt my wrists.

(I am also really tightly strung tendon-wise, my limbs are too long for my musculature because I grew really fast so even though I've been going through routines daily for YEARS and can get through intermediate/advanced yoga I still can't get my heels all the way to the ground in downward dog or touch my toes ever so it's SUPER frustrating when that is added to a workout I don't feel.)

I also have hilariously bad balance mrs b! when I was doing yoga with classes I would always be the one that fell over in warrior pose while everyone else was just relaxing in their balance-capable states. tree pose they would all be side-eye-ing me to see when I would fall, it was fun and stuff but it makes it feel like i'm not getting much out of it other than gentle stretches and laughs.

appiefanie- I am totally going to start doing the stretch routines instead

tofulish- I totally have yoga-instructor prescribed modifications but they get in the way of a smooth flow when they're paired with yogaX and just end up with me fumbling around trying to follow their pace without hurting myself.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 4:50 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I also have sort of a dumb question: HOW DO YOU DEAL WITH SWEATING A LOT WHEN YOUR APARTMENT IS FREEZING?
like, as soon as I start to cool down I start to shiver and get super cold, I can't even get to the shower before I feel hypothermic. I just sweat so much (~wink~ ladies) that no matter of workout layers keep my skin from getting lightly damp.

I used to work out in a gym where it was warm so I didn't have to worry about this!!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 5:21 pm 
Hip Goiter

booberthefraggle wrote:
I also have sort of a dumb question: HOW DO YOU DEAL WITH SWEATING A LOT WHEN YOUR APARTMENT IS FREEZING?
like, as soon as I start to cool down I start to shiver and get super cold, I can't even get to the shower before I feel hypothermic. I just sweat so much (~wink~ ladies) that no matter of workout layers keep my skin from getting lightly damp.

I used to work out in a gym where it was warm so I didn't have to worry about this!!

Yeah ugh this is getting so rough. I used to like to make my smoothie immediately after finishing, but I have to jump right in a hot shower now. It's so bad that in the shower I'll still be shivering and like crying, but after a few minutes and especially after drying off and moisturizing I'll be ok. My favorite thing that my boyfriend HATES - throughout the day, whenever I'm home, I'll blowdry myself. Like anytime I pass the bathroom, I plug the blowdryer in and I thaw myself.

Laughfrodisiac

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:28 pm 
Hip Goiter

I think I'm going to start P90X3 for real on Tuesday. That way, my rest days will be Mondays, which is good because I'll probably always have to go to work early on Mondays. Excited! Anyone else starting this week?

I did Insanity Max Interval Circuit today, one of my favorite things to do ever, and my knee started to twinge in the pedal, the very first exercise after the warmup and stretch! What the hell! I paused and stretched it a little and got through the rest of the hour fine but I didn't push as hard as I could have because I was/am scared. Ugh I really don't want a knee injury! I think the pedal is harder on my knees than other moves, but still. ugh.

Laughfrodisiac

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 1:02 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

My P90X3 came today! I am going to do my fitness test and pictures (ugh!) tomorrow and then start on Monday. A local friend is also doing it and she plugged me into a group of her friends who are also starting it tomorrow. So I will be accountable on multiple fronts!

I think I can do this. I think I'm going to have to go out to the garage to do any of the bouncing routines. I can't do those in the house without making things topple off the shelves.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 1:04 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

For those of you who have gone through P90 before, how many dumbbells do you use at one time? Will I need to use two at the same time?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 9:12 am 

Randi! Mine comes Tuesday! I'll start then too :)

Boober, frankly, without a real winter here, I can't even imagine that scenario. I just get so happy to not be hot.

quagga, I have 2s, 5s, 8s, 10s, and 15s, and for most P90X workouts I usually need at least 2 of those (not the 2s - the 2s are for one of the Chalean workouts where you do a bazillion reps). I got a lightweight band with my Chalean workout and I just bought a heavier band, but I'm not sure if I'll use those - I'm not really a band kinda person.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 9:33 am 
WRETCHED

I'm going to use bands mostly for P90x3, I think. I like bands. I have weights too.

I'm starting on Monday (officially). I've started following the (1500 calorie) diet. The book recommends more for me but I also know me (plus I'm still getting over a cold/flu/whatever and only doing light exercise right now).

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 9:57 am 

Oh good then you can tell us if our workout the next day will be good or awful ;D

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 12:09 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

appifanie wrote:
P90X Yoga is The Worst Yoga Ever. I got to be pretty okay in my old yoga class but YogaX? Kill me now. The way I do it is I do as much of the flow crepe as I can tolerate and then I fast forward to the balance poses and do all of those except the inverted ones.

Sacrilege! ;D I love Yoga X!! I know I am in the minority on that one.
One of the things I like about Yoga is that there are so many different styles, so if one doesn't work for you, there is other stuff out there that might.

I have wrist issues (some days are worse than others) and just do everything on my fists instead of a flat hand on bad days (today). Same thing with push-ups. And crane!

Guys, I have been so into Kenpo lately that I've been mostly doing it instead of all the other cardio routines! I get so much thinking done when I do it and have come up with some great ideas (cooking, writing, and knitting!) while doing it.

P90X3 sounds so good, but I'm so happy with the original at the moment, I'm not sure I need to upgrade. Have you seen the extra routines they offered as a supplement to the original P90X? I think there were 5 or something like that.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 2:31 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

The 'before' pictures are as dismal as I thought they would be. Ugh.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2043 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82  Next