| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 12:22 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2043 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 82  Next
 Post subject: Re: Beachbody Fitness (P90X, Insanity, etc.)
PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 6:16 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

appifanie wrote:
Kitteh wrote:
Also, my Mum just dropped into work and she was concerned because I'm on my own even thought the office is locked and our warehouse is shut. So I told her not to worry and showed her my awesome kenpo skillz! *kick-punch*

I wonder if you could scare off scary people with star blocks?

Plyo day - day 72!

Yay for day 72!!!!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 6:23 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

appifanie wrote:
Kitteh wrote:
Also, my Mum just dropped into work and she was concerned because I'm on my own even thought the office is locked and our warehouse is shut. So I told her not to worry and showed her my awesome kenpo skillz! *kick-punch*

I wonder if you could scare off scary people with star blocks?

Plyo day - day 72!

Star blocks are my absolute favourite part of kenpo : )

Have fun with plyo day, ours is tomorrow, can't wait : )

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 8:53 pm 
Bought 20lbs of vegan protein powder

Thanks Kitteh! Somehow it's already 8:53pm and I haven't gotten started yet - I can't say I'm convinced it's happening tonight.

OWW - Once I figured them out, I decided I loved them too. :)

"It's because I'm judging them. Harshly. Judgey McJudgerson." - mel c

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 5:04 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Man today's post-Thanksgiving workout was tough -- all that vegan pumpkin pie still working its way through my system! I felt all clogged and sluggish until about 2/3 the way through Legs & Back, then I got some energy, but it kinda went away about halfway through Abs. I was only able to do the same number of pull-ups as last week. But probably I weighed 2 more pounds today because of all that goop I ate yesterday, so maybe that counts for something?

I think I better do a Cardio X this afternoon. I think there's still some sweet potatoes and some red wine in my system I need to go after! I feel so protective of my progress -- like I have invested so much in this program I get really bummed if I backslide at all...

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 10:09 pm 

yeah i think the very idea of post tgiving workout killed me. i did plyo tonight and it went well - woo!

mmmm pie.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 3:14 pm 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

Holy crepe.

After many technical difficulties that prevented me from getting started, I started P90X today. I managed to complete the entire chest and back workout, though I'm in no shape to attempt the ab ripper right now. I will try later in the day.

My question is this: I can do barely ANY pushups, and attempting the number in the video makes my lower back hurt. Will this just go away as I get stronger, and should I just keep trying, or should I be backing off and only doing a very small number of pushups with good form (i.e. 1 or 2 per type of pushup - that's all I can do with good form!)?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 3:21 pm 
WRETCHED

Jordan - I can't remember the video but do they show modified pushups at all? When I was doing them, I was doing them on an incline. I do pushups now on my knees but I alternate sometimes and do an incline so basically stairs, a sturdy table, etc. Your back should not be giving at all in a pushup and if it is, you need to modify.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 5:27 pm 

jordanpattern wrote:
My question is this: I can do barely ANY pushups, and attempting the number in the video makes my lower back hurt. Will this just go away as I get stronger, and should I just keep trying, or should I be backing off and only doing a very small number of pushups with good form (i.e. 1 or 2 per type of pushup - that's all I can do with good form!)?

You'll definitely improve as you go through, so don't worry at all about the number the people on the dvd are doing! Can you try doing some on your knees to get a few more out?

linanil wrote:
Jordan - I can't remember the video but do they show modified pushups at all? When I was doing them, I was doing them on an incline. I do pushups now on my knees but I alternate sometimes and do an incline so basically stairs, a sturdy table, etc. Your back should not be giving at all in a pushup and if it is, you need to modify.

they don't show that as a modification but it's a good idea for a way to make them a bit easier when you're just starting out.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 5:32 pm 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

oncewerewesties wrote:
jordanpattern wrote:

You'll definitely improve as you go through, so don't worry at all about the number the people on the dvd are doing! Can you try doing some on your knees to get a few more out?

linanil wrote:

they don't show that as a modification but it's a good idea for a way to make them a bit easier when you're just starting out.

Thanks, guys!

I did try some on my knees, but that hurt my knees and also just didn't feel like it was doing much of anything. The incline thing sounds good, but I honestly don't have any way to do that (no stairs, no table, chair not sturdy enough...). Hopefully I can just concentrate on my form and improve that core strength that will help keep my back stable fairly quickly!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 7:33 pm 

I do them on my knees - are you on a hard floor or a carpet? Do you have a yoga mat you could try?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:11 am 
WRETCHED

And for knee pushups, make sure you are lowering your entire body, not just your chest. If your butt stays in the air, it won't work out anything.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 1:33 pm 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

Just finished Plyo - I did the whole thing! Last time I attempted it, I only finished half. I didn't keep up with them or anything, but I feel like I got a good workout, and I'm really proud of myself.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 2:06 pm 

Great job!!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 6:39 pm 

jordanpattern wrote:
Just finished Plyo - I did the whole thing! Last time I attempted it, I only finished half. I didn't keep up with them or anything, but I feel like I got a good workout, and I'm really proud of myself.

definitely great job, it's a hell of a workout! I can't believe how much we sweat doing plyo, it's pretty gross/awesome.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 3:48 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Yay for Plyo! It's day 67 for me but I had to skip a few days due to being sunburnt :( So I did Plyo today, felt great!

jordanpattern wrote:

I do push ups on my knees and have gradually increased as the weeks go by. So hang in there but don't push yourself if your back aches.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 7:11 am 

Uh guys? The scale told me I'm 144 - that's 3 pounds magically disappeared in 2 or 3 days and I haven't weighed that little since mid-pregnancy (embarrassing).

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:52 am 
Not NOT A Furry

appifanie wrote:
Uh guys? The scale told me I'm 144 - that's 3 pounds magically disappeared in 2 or 3 days and I haven't weighed that little since mid-pregnancy (embarrassing).

That's awesome! Your metabolism must be crankin! If I haven't said it yet, thanks for being such an inspiration!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:56 am 
Not NOT A Furry

I'm back at it today, now that my new schedule doesn't include so many 4:30 wake-ups. Brent and I started with a 15 mile ride on Sunday (just an easy cruise- no climbs yet!), and it reminded me why I do this. I also had a friend come by with some pics of my when I younger- I was 20, had an infant, and was still tiny.

That being said, I had a hot date with Tony this morning, Day 1. Tomorrow I'll skip the plyo, but walk the dog and spend 15-13 minutes on my rollers with the bike. Thinking of re-joining WW....

Have a great day!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 4:05 pm 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

I did the shoulders and arms workout today and attempted the ab ripper. Holy crepe. I can't even DO most of the exercises in the ab ripper. I thought my core was in okay shape, but I was wrong. Also, I think I need some 7 pound weights.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 5:20 pm 

Kitteh wrote:
I do push ups on my knees and have gradually increased as the weeks go by. So hang in there but don't push yourself if your back aches.

I start on my toes and do as many as I can, then revert to knee ones to get more out, but at the beginning I was doing them all on my knees.

appifanie wrote:

awesome, you must be kicking some phase III butt!

Karma007 wrote:
I had a hot date with Tony this morning, Day 1. Tomorrow I'll skip the plyo, but walk the dog and spend 15-13 minutes on my rollers with the bike.

Good work, sounds like you've sorted out a schedule that will work for you, which is awesome! : )

jordanpattern wrote:
I did the shoulders and arms workout today and attempted the ab ripper. Holy crepe. I can't even DO most of the exercises in the ab ripper. I thought my core was in okay shape, but I was wrong. Also, I think I need some 7 pound weights.

yeah, ab ripper is kinda deadly. Yoga belly is much of the same [though shorter].
What size weights are you using at the moment?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 5:32 pm 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

oncewerewesties wrote:
Kitteh wrote:

I start on my toes and do as many as I can, then revert to knee ones to get more out, but at the beginning I was doing them all on my knees.

appifanie wrote:

awesome, you must be kicking some phase III butt!

Karma007 wrote:
I had a hot date with Tony this morning, Day 1. Tomorrow I'll skip the plyo, but walk the dog and spend 15-13 minutes on my rollers with the bike.

Good work, sounds like you've sorted out a schedule that will work for you, which is awesome! : )

jordanpattern wrote:

yeah, ab ripper is kinda deadly. Yoga belly is much of the same [though shorter].
What size weights are you using at the moment?

I've got 5 pounders right now, and also a medium resistance band, but I don't like the band as much as the weights, so I'd rather get some heavier weights.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 5:44 pm 

jordanpattern wrote:
I've got 5 pounders right now, and also a medium resistance band, but I don't like the band as much as the weights, so I'd rather get some heavier weights.

depending on your space/financial situation, I'd recommend a set of spinlock dumbbells, as you can then change the weight between exercises so you have the right weight for each muscle group rather than trying to find one that works well across the board. Also a bonus that you then only have one set of dumbells to store rather than a whole lot of different ones : )

I've got a 10kg [22lb] spinlock set though I only use more than 8.5kg for the back exercises when you only need one dumbbell and I combine weight plates to make a 13.5kg one...

[they look like this:]

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:06 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Hey folks,

I just saw this on the Beachbody website -- it's a video of Tony showing how to do pull-ups, starting with the chair and moving from there. Thought I'd pass it along...

http://teambeachbody.com/showcase/-/bcp ... epId=49635

I'm still looking for one for push-ups -- if I find it I'll post it as well!

D

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:39 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

DLD wrote:
Hey folks,

I just saw this on the Beachbody website -- it's a video of Tony showing how to do pull-ups, starting with the chair and moving from there. Thought I'd pass it along...

http://teambeachbody.com/showcase/-/bcp ... epId=49635

I'm still looking for one for push-ups -- if I find it I'll post it as well!

D

That's great, thanks so much for the link!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:17 am 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

oncewerewesties wrote:
jordanpattern wrote:

depending on your space/financial situation, I'd recommend a set of spinlock dumbbells, as you can then change the weight between exercises so you have the right weight for each muscle group rather than trying to find one that works well across the board. Also a bonus that you then only have one set of dumbells to store rather than a whole lot of different ones : )

I've got a 10kg [22lb] spinlock set though I only use more than 8.5kg for the back exercises when you only need one dumbbell and I combine weight plates to make a 13.5kg one...

[they look like this:]

I looked at those, but they were a bit more than I wanted to spend, and I like the ease of just being able to pick up new weights. Maybe in the future if I pursue more weight training those would be good, though! I'm just shocked that the 5 pounders aren't enough!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2043 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 82  Next