| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Jul 02, 2016 4:41 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New Vegetarian - Running?
PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 8:39 pm 
Tofu Pup Forever

Hey guys - I've just recently decided to go full vegetarian (it's been a long, slow progression) and being a long time runner, I'm worried about making sure I keep up with all my nutritional needs so my running doesn't suffer. I know varied sources of protein is important - but is there anything else I should worry about?

Any tips and tricks?

Thanks! :-)

Post subject: Re: New Vegetarian - Running?
PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 8:49 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

I don't know whereabouts you live but Vegan Runners are very active in the UK: http://www.veganrunners.org.uk/

Plus Scott Jurek wrote an interesting book about being a vegan ultramarathoner called Eat and Run (I enjoyed reading it even as a non-runner!)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 11:02 pm 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

Eat and Run is a great book. I'm not a runner myself, but I'm an endurance athlete (cyclist), and I have no issues at all getting my nutrition.

When you say varied sources of protein, are you referring to combining foods to make "complete" proteins? If so, that's actually a myth! :) http://www.forksoverknives.com/the-myth ... y-protein/

I would highly recommend checking out Ginny Messina and Jack Norris' book, Vegan For Life. It's a great resource.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 6:09 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

According to my coach Iron is one of the most important nutritional aspects to take care of as a runner who does not eat meat.

What I do is to snack with Cashews.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 8:07 am 
Tofu Pup Forever

Scott Jurek's book is awesome! Maybe I'll reread it now that I'm veg. I was just worried about getting enough protein for recovery and such - not necessarily combining proteins. I'm not sure if what I feel like is enough is really enough - I try to eat a protein with every meal but I keep the portions pretty comparable to when I ate meat - not sure if that's right.

Ooo haven't read vegan for life yet - I'll check that out!
Also thanks for the iron and cashews tips!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 8:59 am 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

Hey misschicken - welcome to the PPK! I am a distance runner too - generally I'll do half and full marathon and Ragnar, the relay race, every year - so this may not be as helpful if you are an ultra runner. Generally the biggest issue I find is actually one often experienced and not specific to veganism - in the height of training, when you get up to 30-40 miles a week, I find that I'm hungry all the time, and satiety without overeating becomes an issue. Good fats (eg avocado) and more lean proteins (tofu, seitan, beans) seem to really help me in that regard, anyway. Otherwise, I don't find there are really "special" considerations for vegans as compared to omnis - like any other diet, it just needs to be well-planned and rounded.

The Scott Jurek book was interesting, but I thought the real value lies in "Vegan for Life," which has a chapter on athletes, as I recall. I am continually impressed by the rigor and restraint by Ginny Messina and Jack Norris, who I believe are both registered dietitians - no inflated health claims about the benefits of a vegan diet, just a balanced, evidence-based perspective on various nutritional topics.

What is your favorite distance? Are you training for anything now? Again, welcome!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:23 am 
Tofu Pup Forever

Thanks Nailed to the V!! That's actually really helpful! I do mostly half marathons and under - I'm actually training for The Blerch half in September (so excited!!). Thank you for the fat and lean protein tip - that is definitely something I've been struggling with after long runs and hard workouts - since most of my fat before came from meat and animal products. I'm not vegan yet, but I'd like to cut down on my use of animal products (maybe someday I'll be vegan! One step at a time :-)) So I need to expand my repertoire of healthy fats so I don't want to just eat crepe tons of cheese. Thanks again! I'm definitely going to check out that book!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 10:03 am 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

Oh excellent! I hope training is going well. I find half marathons to be a challenging distance myself. One additional thought - yogurt (I eat soy yogurt myself) is also a great way to combat the high-mileage munchies : ) Let us know how your training goes!!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 4:08 pm 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

For recovery, I usually will take a scoop of Vega's Sports Recovery protein powder in either water or a smoothie after workouts. It has 25g protein in a scoop. I will also sometimes snack on things like vegan jerky (primal strips are a favorite), and if I'm riding lots, I'll have protein bars (Vega, Clif, or Probar) in between meals as well. I also focus on making sure there's a protein component at every meal. It might be beans, seitan, tofu, tempeh, or fake meats. I've never had any issues, and I often have periods where I train/race 15 - 20 hours a week.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 4:56 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

dandykins wrote:
The Scott Jurek book was interesting, but I thought the real value lies in "Vegan for Life," which has a chapter on athletes, as I recall. I am continually impressed by the rigor and restraint by Ginny Messina and Jack Norris, who I believe are both registered dietitians - no inflated health claims about the benefits of a vegan diet, just a balanced, evidence-based perspective on various nutritional topics.

I totally echo your statement. I love their approach in this book and in all their communications. Jack Norris doesn't make a big deal out of this, but he is a serious Ultimate Frisbee player. His team went to a national frisbee competition a few years ago. And his wife is a serious amateur endurance athlete, too. Nice people!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 5:07 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

quagga wrote:
Jack Norris doesn't make a big deal out of this, but he is a serious Ultimate Frisbee player. His team went to a national frisbee competition a few years ago. And his wife is a serious amateur endurance athlete, too. Nice people!

What, really? I had no idea!! That's pretty cool.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 7:58 pm 
Tofu Pup Forever

Ahh yes! I hadn't even been thinking about bars - I love Picky Bars and Lara Bars - I think they are both vegan? I'll have to check them out. Did a ten miler yesterday and drank up my protein shake, no fatigue! Well no more than usual . . . I actually don't even feel sore today - I feel like I am recovering well

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 5:42 am 
WRETCHED

Brendan Brazier also has a book or two that you might find interesting. He is a former pro triathlete and also ultra marathoner.

One thing to note is that in changing your diet, hunger feels different? How food sits in your stomach feels different? My husband and I went from omnivore to vegan overnight and there was an adjustment period to how food felt. My husband definitely increased his eating initially for the first couple months because he had to adjust. That is normal though and like stated above, higher fat foods help with that such as avocado and nuts.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 3:26 pm 
Tofu Pup Forever

Did another long run today guys!! Adding in more avocado (AKA healthy fats) has really helped me out. I'm actually starting to feel really good and healthy on the vegetarian diet - I wasn't sure if I would feel any different since I had already been eating mostly veg for awhile.

Also, I survived my first cookout! There were BBQ ribs, bacon covered walnuts, bacon mac n' cheese, and a smorgasborg of other tasty meaty things but I brought my morningstar burgers and ate those and some salads and I survived - I am pleased.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 8:10 pm 
Huffs Nooch

I like to make protein breads with tofu and various flours (bean flour, oat flour, rye flour etc). I often include a banana and some flax or hemp seeds for extra iron. I have had nutritional problems as a vegan before, but I find packing the crepe out of things with iron helps a lot. Some of my blood issues are apparently inborn, anyway... lol.
Also carrots and apples are just wonderful for recovering imo. I make frozen pea smoothies sometimes too.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 5:08 am 
Not NOT A Furry

I echo all the suggestions about using some protein for recovery...or pre-workout. I tried doing protein powder before and after my workout, and decided I like having it right before rather than at the end. Then I get a little bit of a boost during the workout, and it helps the muscles stay strong and develop after.

Recently I've begun blending my protein powder (I buy pea protein -- until now vanilla, but I've just made the very exciting switch to chocolate!) with peanut butter and a banana and having that before intense workouts. Nothing can quite get rid of that texture, but it's not bad. The other reason I chose the pea protein is because peas are super high in Iron, which I tend to be low on.