| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:31 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Motivating workouts
PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:53 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

I'm trying to get in shape! I'm 160, 5'5, prone to back problems. I think i'd be very happy at 120. A few years ago I got down to 130 on diet alone, no exercise. Then I entered veterinary school, got stressed and slowly gained it all back as I ate while studying. I tried that diet again, didn't work. So now I want to add exercise and see if I can lose weight in a more sustainable manner. I did Livestrong.com's stronger workout for 2 weeks (8 week program) which I loved at first and then I just got so sick of it I couldn't bring myself to do it. so a few questions for you, ppk:
What workouts work for you? What keeps you motivated/interested?
Anyone out there that used to live a life of struggling to exercise eventually find something that they liked and now has successfully made it a habit and find it easier to exercise now? (did that sentence make sense....) I'd just like to know that it wont always be a struggle to get my butt off the couch and that it's possible I might *want* to exercise someday for a reason other than weight loss.
Part of my problem is that I wasn't really losing weight during those two weeks. though i was probably gaining muscle, i had forgotten to take measurements. I ended up dropping almost four pounds but my back was sore for the whole second week so I took a few days off and I never got back to it. My back isn't sore anymore.....

Post subject: Re: Motivating workouts
PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 2:34 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

Maybe look out for Groupon deals in your area and take one of those classes/join the gym to experiment to see what you like? The ones I see are usually short trial periods (either 1 month or something like 10 classes) so you can at least try it before you shell out good cash and commit. Or if you prefer working out at home, try fitness blender or even youtube for different types of workouts (yoga, pilates, kickboxing, bodyweight training, plyo, weight lifting, kettlebells, etc).

Me, having a performance-related goal is a motivator for me.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 2:39 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

I live in a pretty remote area, not many gyms close enough and I haven't seen a groupon for one within 30 minutes. Besides, I'm in vet school so my hours don't really line up with gym class hours. I wish that wasn't the case, gym classes have actually always been the best way for me to stick to working out.

Any favorite you tube workouts? i've done a couple fitness blender workouts, working my way through them.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 2:55 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

Yeah, I know how life gets in the way... So what kind of workouts have you done in the past? Aside from the livestrong one? I really only do fitnessblender or youtube workouts when I'm traveling for work so haven't found any "favorites" per se, but I do really like kettlebell workouts. I do those in a class but a KB isn't a huge investment and there are free online classes out there (or you might be able to stream DVD's on netflix or amazon). It is strengthening but you still get your heart rate up, and I think its a little bit more dynamic/fun than just a traditional bodyweight strengthening program. But you will have to be cognizant or your form, particularly with your back (so seek out some tutorials if you go that route).

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 6:58 pm 
Dead by dawn

I don't really have any advice for you. What worked for me was going to the extreme of joining a team and hiring a coach to keep me accountable, and pay for lots of races to keep me motovated. After awhile it does become part of how you live your life. Anyway, like I said... no advice as I know my solution isn't for everyone, particularly with the demands of vet school... just commiseration. I've been the person who couldn't stick to a workout routine and who only worked out to lose weight and got discouraged easily. But I do believe that you can change that if you have the desire to and you find what works for you.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:41 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

monkeytoes wrote:
But I do believe that you can change that if you have the desire to and you find what works for you.

that was exactly what I wanted to hear someone say. thank you!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:17 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

I was that hating getting off my butt to exercise, went to more of an extreme/checked off a bucket list item by thru-hiking the appalachian trail and lost a bunch of weight. I kept moving afterwards a) because it felt weird not to and b) I was scared of gaining the weight back (I gained some of it back, nbd at this point to me). After that, it became habit. I bike most places I need to go and do some fitness stuff with a free tribe called November Project. I used to weight lift and hopefully will again, but my back has decided to be non-cooperative.

Basically, what I'm saying is make the change and then you'll find you thrive by exercise. As long as you enjoy said exercise. Biking might be a good one? Hiking? Something that doesn't feel like exercise at first, perhaps?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 6:37 am 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

I hear you. I'm learning to accept my size and exercise for health and mood benefits rather than weight loss, but I did not grow up enjoying physical activity (never played sports, etc etc).

One thing I've really enjoyed is Zumba. If you can't find a class that works with your schedule, there is an Xbox game or DVDs (haven't tried the DVDs, the Xbox game is ok when I can't make my usual class). My Sunday morning Zumba class is often the part of the weekend I look forward to most, and it has definitely become part of my routine. Sometimes I'll also go to another class on a weeknight, but those are hard to make since I tend to work late. I also walk my dog daily every morning -- just a short walk, but every little bit helps.

For a while I was doing the 7 minute workout published in the New York Times: http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/05/0 ... e-workout/
I should get back into that -- I was starting to notice real changes in my strength and fitness after only doing the work out 3x a week for couple of weeks.

Don't forget other aspects of wellness -- getting enough sleep, eating food for both health and enjoyment, etc. Exercising and not getting adequate sleep is not a great combination -- I know I have trouble motivating myself to exercise when I haven't been sleeping enough, and sleep problems and school tend to go hand-in-hand in my experiene.

I hope you find some kind of exercise you enjoy!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 11:14 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I'm still having a hard time exercising regularly due to external factors. But I did finally find something that I love and I want to do. I am one of those people that gets bored with doing the same thing over and over again. But last year I found a gym near my house called Brickhouse Cardio Club. It's a franchise, so there might be one near you! It's all classes. No equipment , no personal trainers, not a traditional gym. It looks more like a dance studio, one big open room with a stage. The one I go to offers Zumba, Zumba toning, Bokwa, PIYO, Yoga, House Party Fitness, Circuit Training, and Power Hour. Soon they will have Piloxing. I love everything! I can pick and chose which classes I want to take and change my routine weekly. Mostly all of the classes are at night so I go after work. But there is one class on Monday morning and one on Saturday mornings. What really keeps me going and motivated is the networking of people. Mostly all women, but in general it's just a great group of people who are all there to support each other and have fun. We dance, we sweat, we laugh, we encourage each other. It's awesome!

If you don't have one of these near you or it doesn't sound like your thing, I would suggest maybe finding a group of people who walk or run together. I know there are lots of people on meetup.com who organize walking groups. I had looked into it before but couldn't find one that worked with my schedule. Or you could try to find a yoga class that is outdoors, something different from the norm. Or Daily Burn is supposed to be pretty good. That would be a home based program you can do whenever you have time. And also if you have a Spark People account (it's free online) there are free workout videos on their website as well. Here are some resources.

http://www.brickhousecardio.com/
http://www.zumba.com/
http://bokwafitness.com/
http://www.beachbody.com/product/fitnes ... workout.do
http://piloxing.com/
http://housepartyfit.com/
http://dailyburn.com/?s1
http://www.sparkpeople.com/

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 8:17 am 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

i actually seem to be sleeping worse since i started working out. I work out in the evening around 7 or 8. I'm simply not a morning person and could never wake up at 5 am to exercise before school but it seems that the evening exercise gives me more energy right when i should be heading to bed. kinda frustrating because im beyond exhausted during the day.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 8:58 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

chamaeleonsky wrote:
i actually seem to be sleeping worse since i started working out. I work out in the evening around 7 or 8. I'm simply not a morning person and could never wake up at 5 am to exercise before school but it seems that the evening exercise gives me more energy right when i should be heading to bed. kinda frustrating because im beyond exhausted during the day.

I'm the same way. My body will be physically exhausted but my brain won't turn off after an evening workout. Sometimes a hot shower helps. But you just have to keep at it. Eventually your body will get used to the routine.

http://health.howstuffworks.com/mental- ... sleep1.htm

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:00 am 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

all these great suggestions and i didnt work out last night. i didnt have time, it was trivia night. such a bad excuse though. its not fair when you have to choose between social time and exercise time! i dont want to be a hermit!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:05 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I'd much rather be a hermit. But I won't get anything done that way. So I get out to the gym for my social interaction when I can. Most other social activities include food and drinks which is counterproductive to weight loss. Which I'm working on too. So I limit those outings. Plus money!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:06 am 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

i spend all day in class so i crave that time with friends where i dont have to think much. but yeah, having a beer was not the wise way to handle not working out.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 5:53 am 
Tofu Pup Forever

I spend all my days at work so there isn't really a time for me to dedicate my time in doing some exercise. But the article here http://tgp.com.ph/blog/sitting-office-d ... ever-need/ tells me that I should be able to at least do all of these recommended on the list. I mean, I've only done this for a total of 2 mos. but it helps me alleviate the stress - stress from my work and from my stressed out muscles. Have you guys ever heard of that walking routine for 30 mins or more per day and continue that daily can help improve muscle strength and heart? I mean it's a start right, doing simple workouts first...

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 6:09 am 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

every step counts!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 6:23 am 
Tofu Pup

Bokwa and Zumba are the addictions I have swapped for eating entire tubs of hummos.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 6:35 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

Do any of your friends like walking or riding bikes or perhaps would want to go to an exercise class together? That way you get exercise and time with friends!

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 7:02 am 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

i wish. my roommate and I sometimes work out together but it doesn't always line up.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 3:40 pm 
Wears Pleather Undies

I think once you get into a habit you will start to enjoy it. I find the ten minute workouts to be really good for getting me in a routine, say if I have an injury or a holiday and need to get back in the zone again. i can't say no to ten minutes a day, and then after a while I am in the habit of regular exercise. I would recommend the 'solution tighten and tone with pilates band' and the 'butt lift' ones. I also find the jillian michaels dvds to be really motivating, but quite tough. I would agree with the others about finding a class if you can, like you, there are no gyms near me, but when I could attend classes, I always really enjoyed them. Maybe you can find a hiking club in your area that would then combine the social aspects with exercise?

good luck!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 6:40 pm 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

I'm kind of with Monkeytoes. The thing that got me into regular exercise was finding a sport (cyciling) that I really enjoyed, with a sort of built-in community/social aspect. I watch professional races when I can, follow cycling blogs, and am a member of a social networking site (Strava) that keeps track of my rides and where I can see what rides my friends/connections are doing/have done. I still struggle to pump myself up for my 3-hour solo interval sessions sometimes, but a lot of my workouts are either races or rides with other people, which makes it easier to just get out there and do it. Also, with racing, I know that if I don't do my workouts, I won't do well in races, which is a good incentive to get my asparagus out the door. Getting dropped in a bike race means a long, often cold ride by yourself, which is no fun.

In addition, a lot of my friends are cyclists, which means it's normal in my social circle to talk about our rides/workouts/training. Racing bikes has not only been awesome for my fitness and emotional well being, it's also netted me a really rad group of strong, tough ladyfriends.

All that is to say, maybe finding something that has more of a community and/or social aspect will be helpful to you? And maybe something with tangible goals/markers like races, so you're not just working out for some esoteric reason, but rather training for something specific? Something like cycling is tough because it just takes forever to train for races, but running I think takes slightly less time, and seems to have more accessible entry-level races. Maybe that might be something to consider?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 7:31 pm 
Asked Santa for a pony

Yes, I used to struggle to exercise and could never stick with anything. I started really getting into yoga and running around the same time, and the only reason I've stuck with them is because I had an attitude shift and stopped seeing exercise as a way to lose weight and started seeing it as something I couldn't live without. I just couldn't fall in love with regularly going to the gym or doing workout videos. Wanting to lose weight isnt a bad thing (and yes, I have lost quite a bit of weight this year), but from my personal experience it was never enough for me to stick with something. When I saw exercise solely as a means to lose weight I scheduled my workouts around my life, which often meant they became low priority and were the first thing dropped when things got busy; now I schedule my life around my workouts. I workout 6 days a week minimum and it's non-negotiable.

Training for something and setting new goals does help a lot with keeping motivated. I joined a running group and trained for my first half and full marathons this year. It was nice to have the support from my group when things were going awesome or terrible.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 8:44 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

I totally agree with the attitude adjustment. I had one several years ago and I got serious with monitoring my calorie intake and lost a ton of weight. It just wasn't sustainable I guess. And now I can't get my head into that adjusted attitude again, I just dont have it and I dont know where to find it.