| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Jul 26, 2014 2:33 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Thread about the exercise we wish we were doing
PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 1:25 pm 
Has Isa on speed dial

I wish I were a fitness enthusiast, I'm just not. I don't mind being active, I just don't like working out for the sake of working out. Jogging is the absolute worst. A few times a year I get these "brilliant" urges to go jogging. Not to let the moment pass I switch to running friendly clothes. By this time I'm not se keen on the running anymore, and by the time I've gotten down the stairs I just feel like turning around and walk back up. I usually run to the park, sometimes entering it before accepting my defeat and go back home and sip on a warm cup of tea.

I somewhat like team sports, like soccer and bandy. But this time a year outside sports are not an option for me. I freeze easily and no amount of activity can change that. Besides breathing in really cold air isn't all that lovely.

I love climbing, but my partner moved to a different country and not many people seem to do this sport. Besides it's expensive. I love gyms...for the first five minutes, then I get bored and have already tried all the equipment.

I'd love to try yoga or something like that, but drop in classes are raging high in my area, like 40 USD for each hour long class. You know how much rice you can get for that amount of money? I don't, but I'm betting it's quite a bit. Can't believe people actually do that. And periodic courses are cheap if your a member of a club, which I'm not because joining a gym would be a waste due to my lack of interest in the exercising machines.

I do love to swim, but can you believe public baths charge more than $10 for each visit. I'm a poor student for crying out loud.

Maybe I should just buy a yoga matte and watch youtube videos...

Post subject: Re: Thread about the exercise we wish we were doing
PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 4:20 pm 
Bought 20lbs of vegan protein powder

I really wanted to go running for awhile. As soon as it was cool enough, I took off with the kid in the jogging stroller. She's almost 4 and generally well behaved. She had a freaking out meltdown. We went home.

Those are some expensive Yoga classes! Where I used to live they had Yoga by donation classes, so you could pay what you could.

"It's because I'm judging them. Harshly. Judgey McJudgerson." - mel c

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 4:38 pm 
Has Isa on speed dial

I run and lift weights regularly, but I would love to be a cyclist. I go biking on the weekends but I don't have a fancy bike and my pace is quite leisurely. I am insanely jealous of all the people I see on speedy road bikes. I would also feel bad asparagus if I could go rock climbing or hiking, but I want to be able to do it on a real mountain and not in a gym.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 4:50 pm 
Nailed to the V

I always wish I biked and ran more, but there are a lot of factors restricting me. I get dizzy easily, am not let out of the house alone, and can't usually get motivated enough.

"So I was sitting in my cubicle today, and I realized, ever since I started working, every single day of my life has been worse than the day before it. So that means that every single day that you see me, that's on the worst day of my life."

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 7:32 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I have a gym membership but am usually too lazy to go. I feel shitty wasting the money (it's a contract I can't get out of), but by the time I come home from work, I'm too tired, and I want to spend my weekends with Mike, not a bunch of strangers.

I'm (still) trying to get into roller derby, so hopefully it'll work out this time. If I end up injured again, that's right out (and then I'll have to find someone to buy £170 worth of gear).

I used to love riding a bike, but I don't know if I have the money to buy one or the lack of fear to ride in the city. And Mike doesn't want me to ride in the city, which would defeat the purpose of doing the bike-to-work scheme since I'd have to ride on some fairly busy roads to do that.

*sigh*

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 8:13 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

i hate exercising. well, i hate sweaty exercise. i'm a swimmer by nature (i swam competitively for 7 years). but the only place to use the pool here is they ymca, which is $50/month (year long contract). i finally bit the bullet and joined. the guilt from the money i'd be wasting is still getting my asparagus there about 4 times a week, which is way better than the nothing i was doing. plus, classes are free for members, so i've been doing yoga and pilates.

i've even ventured onto the treadmill for brisk walking and the elliptical death machine in order to get my heart rate up. we'll see how long this lasts, because i'm already at the point where i'm dreading going, unless it's to yoga or pilates (which are only twice a week, each, and not the cardio i need). i've also found that it helps to go to the classes with a friend, at least for the first time. otherwise i get too nervous about looking like a fool. i still have yet to get up the nerve to try spinning, which i'd like to attempt at least once, or any of the cardio aerobics classes (scary! i hear the instructors yelling at people in there!).

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 12:03 am 
Fair trade, organic mistletoe

allularpunk wrote:
i hate exercising. well, i hate sweaty exercise. i'm a swimmer by nature (i swam competitively for 7 years). but the only place to use the pool here is they ymca, which is $50/month (year long contract). i finally bit the bullet and joined. the guilt from the money i'd be wasting is still getting my asparagus there about 4 times a week, which is way better than the nothing i was doing. plus, classes are free for members, so i've been doing yoga and pilates.

i've even ventured onto the treadmill for brisk walking and the elliptical death machine in order to get my heart rate up. we'll see how long this lasts, because i'm already at the point where i'm dreading going, unless it's to yoga or pilates (which are only twice a week, each, and not the cardio i need). i've also found that it helps to go to the classes with a friend, at least for the first time. otherwise i get too nervous about looking like a fool. i still have yet to get up the nerve to try spinning, which i'd like to attempt at least once, or any of the cardio aerobics classes (scary! i hear the instructors yelling at people in there!).

Good for you!

Spinning is so so fun.

"But really, anyone willing to dangle their baby in front of a crocodile is A-OK in my book."~SSD

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 6:43 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

allularpunk wrote:
i still have yet to get up the nerve to try spinning, which i'd like to attempt at least once,

My former spinning instructor encouraged newbies to do it three times before they decided. She said once isn't enough because a lot of people find the first one a little frustrating because it's different, and it can hurt the bum! By the third one, your behind is used to it. I love it and haven't been able to do it for a couple months due to a foot injury, but am hoping to get back to it soon.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 7:33 am 
Chip Strong

I want to ride my bike more, I got it tuned up this summer and rode it once. I also want to do more strength training. I used my kettlebell for the first time yesterday and really liked it. I wish I could take a class or something so I could make sure I know how to do all the moves with it safely and with proper form.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:01 am 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

I want to take belly dancing. It seems really body positive and fun. But I know myself, and I won't go unless someone else is going with me.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:27 am 
Prefers Jar Jar Binks over Han Solo

Every now and then I get the running urge. I always have this great memory of that time when I run regularly for 4 months and by the 3rd month I loved it and really wanted to go. But now every time I say to myself: go and suffer for three months, then you'll love it, I last for a month. And then it's rainiy and cold and so many reasons not to go.
My running shoes are looking at me sadly from beside the door. It's useless. I'll go back again in spring.
I would also love to go back rock climbing, but I need a partner for that and every attempt made with a friend failed before starting. Plus it's expensive and I'm spoiled by the fact that I could climb for free when I was going out with a climbing instructor. And because I learned with said instructor, I'm scared of going with anyone who is not as good as he is.
Basically, total fail.
At least I bike to work every day, which is 20 minutes exercise per day.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:41 pm 
Bought A BRAND NEW CAR!

meat is murder wrote:

I do love to swim, but can you believe public baths charge more than $10 for each visit. I'm a poor student for crying out loud.

Maybe I should just buy a yoga matte and watch youtube videos..

Your school doesn't have a gym? Or exercise programs?

I know my school has yoga and other fitness classes and intramurals for really cheap (like, $10 for the semester to take as many classes as you want!) and the gym fee + pool use is included in tuition.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:49 pm 
Has gasoline in her veins

It would be really fun to take belly dancing classes again. I'd also like to take yoga classes sometime!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:56 pm 
Married to the wolfman

It shames me that I have lived in Santa Cruz for so long and have never taken even ONE yoga class here.

Also, I would really, really, really like to start running again. But so far, I haven't figured out the logistics of how to do this when one is the primary caretaker of a baby. I'm not going to drop $300 on a jogging stroller that I would ONLY use to run with.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:54 am 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

I want to want to exercise.

Exercise is the best thing for everything that ails me. I know I'll feel better if I do it. But if I haven't been exercising for a while, it's so hard to make myself start. It's like once I'm off my routine, it's IMPOSSIBLE to get back on it.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 3:41 pm 
Writes Vegan Haiku

I love running. I want to love, and do, yoga, but I never seem to make it happen. But I love the whole idea of yoga.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:44 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

I'm a cyclist...when I'm cycling, which usually starts in about January when I realize than an annual ride I like is coming up, and I haven't ridden in 6 months (due to injuries sustained by training too fast). If I actually place my butt on the bike seat before December 31, I'm weeks ahead this year.

I used to run, but after yet another threat of surgery from the MD, I have to give it up.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 2:20 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

I wish I was doing punkrope and I wish I was a better rollerskater, but mostly I need to learn to ride a bike already.

I am glad I started hiking/going on trails over a month ago. I like exercise to be fun and I prefer to be outside if possible. Right now I take two 45 min. walks with my dog every day but I have to remind myself that is her exercise and not mine. I do a dvd work out 2-3 times a week and go for a 5-6 mile trail on Saturdays. I am starting to jog a bit and would like to get into running as well.

boychucker.blogspot.com
twitter

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 6:50 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

I wish I had the money and the time to do stuff with my uni's Sports and Rec Association. They have yoga, and zumba, and squash, and badminton!

I also wish I swam - I used to swim in high school and it kept me SO fit - but the pool is expensive, and inconvenient, and my hair is so long and dry that I think the chlorine would kill it completely. I've considered cutting it short just to go swimming, but I'm afraid that I'd do that and then decide I didn't want to swim regularly anyway, and then I'd have no long hair AND nothing to show for it.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 1:22 am 
Plays The Sims 2 religiously

allularpunk wrote:
the guilt from the money i'd be wasting is still getting my asparagus there about 4 times a week

This is an amazing idea. I never have the motivation to exercise, until now I believed nothing could motivate me. I do believe however money guilt could change that.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 1:29 am 
Not NOT A Furry

I should be at the gym right now but am too tired after such a busy week.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 5:50 am 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

I'm with you, I hate running. I like doing yoga videos, but it gets exhausting and I am so lazy! I really want to take that up once I'm back home though. Not a class right away, they are expensive here, too (but not THAT expensive, that's crazy). I really want to try softball and roller derby, but my threshold is so high... maybe 2011? wait, it's cold in January, and all the other kids will be so much better than me...

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 6:09 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

In the last year I went from being an occasional elliptical person to a devoted runner. I NEVER thought it would happen to me, but I absolutely fell in love with it and even started training for a half marathon. And then, about three weeks ago, I started having pain and it turns out I have a stress fracture in my femur. ARGH. Now I'm back to the recumbent bike and elliptical for the next few months at least, and I am so bummed about it.

I have been meaning to truly get into yoga (as opposed to doing it once every couple of months) for years and years. Maybe this will be a good opportunity...

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:35 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

I have always hated exercise but have able to force myself to do it up until (eeek!) it's going on 9 months now. I have this ongoing problem with a damaged nerve in my foot. When you can't put pressure on the ball of your your foot- a lot of exercise options are just off limits.

So of course I have ben using this as excuse to sit on my butt and complain to anyone and everyone within an earshot.

I have only very recently come to terms with the reality that my foot is not likely to get better anytime soon unless I have surgery which I can't even think about until my job situation stabilizes (if it ever does).

So I am trying to figure out how to exercise without making things worse.

I have made myself do at least an hour every other day (I hope to increase the frequency) on something called a recumbent elliptical trainer and am hoping to go back to yoga soon. But I feel like an old lady invalid :( .

Still even though I hate every second of it- I do feel better when I exercise than when I don't.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 11:40 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

I have FINALLY gotten myself to go to yoga every week. period. once or twice - but I need more cardio. bleh. Just not into it. LOVE yoga, though.