| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 6:23 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: What to eat post-workout
PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 7:17 pm 
Huffs Nooch

I've started going to the gym recently, and I was wondering what a good post-workout snack would be.
I usually go around 10:00 am, so I've already had breakfast, and I finish around 11:30. I prefer to eat a later lunch, so I don't mind if it's filling.
At first I was eating apples and peanut butter, but that made me feel icky. I bought some hemp protein the other day (this kind) and today I made a shake with 3tbsp of the protein powder, 1/2 an apple, 3/4 cup almond milk, some ginger and cinnamon. It tasted alright, and afterwards I felt much better than I did when I was eating the apples and peanut butter. Lots more energy.
I was wondering if this was an alright thing to eat after my workout (if the protein & carb balance was okay). Should I be adding some sort of fat to it too?

I usually do 20 minutes of cardio, and then around an hour of weights/strength training. My goal is to build some lean muscle.
I figure if anyone could help me out it would be you guys.

Thanks!

Post subject: Re: What to eat post-workout
PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 7:34 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

1c soymilk
1 scoop protein powder
1/2 a frozen banana
3-4 frozen berries or peach slices

If I'm starving I'll add a slice of Ezekiel bread + molasses.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:03 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Karma007 wrote:
1c soymilk
1 scoop protein powder
1/2 a frozen banana
3-4 frozen berries or peach slices

If I'm starving I'll add a slice of Ezekiel bread + molasses.

yeah you can't wrong with a smoothie with protein powder. i always bring a shake with protein powder (20-25 grams of protein), 1 banana, spinach or kale, and water. Then later I just eat as normal when I get hungry again.

"If I were M. de la Viandeviande, I would now write a thirteen page post about how you have to have free will to be vegan, but modern science does not suggest any evidence for free will, therefore it is impossible to be vegan." -mumbles

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:52 am 
Huffs Nooch

Thanks guys :3
I was kind of weirded out by drinking "protein shakes" at first, because I guess I never viewed myself as the kind of person who would drink them. I've gotten over it though.
Veggie powered muscles, activate!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 4:34 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

nebulae wrote:
I've started going to the gym recently, and I was wondering what a good post-workout snack would be.
I usually go around 10:00 am, so I've already had breakfast, and I finish around 11:30. I prefer to eat a later lunch, so I don't mind if it's filling.
At first I was eating apples and peanut butter, but that made me feel icky. I bought some hemp protein the other day (this kind) and today I made a shake with 3tbsp of the protein powder, 1/2 an apple, 3/4 cup almond milk, some ginger and cinnamon. It tasted alright, and afterwards I felt much better than I did when I was eating the apples and peanut butter. Lots more energy.
I was wondering if this was an alright thing to eat after my workout (if the protein & carb balance was okay). Should I be adding some sort of fat to it too?

there's no need to add fat as the nut milk has enough in it. what you're having is pretty much ideal to be honest.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:54 pm 
Saggy Butt

If I'm not having a meal, I usually have a protein shake or if I'm wanting something more food like, a piece of toast with PB and banana.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:23 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

many people advocate a 4:1 carb to protein ratio for post workout. Ive heard both sides of needing fuel as soon as you can (within 60min) to time not being a huge factor. Personally after a workout im usually hungry and make a smoothie if im at home or a quinoa/millet/ect porridge at work.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:31 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

Protein shake is a definate satisfier, I usually blend one up with a banana and some berries for muscle repair.

That or a muesli slice or bowl of oats.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 5:15 pm 
Wears Pleather Undies

The 4:1 carb/protein ratio is definitely worth exploring; it's been established for a while now and I've found it definitely makes for better recovery and energy later on.. anyway I just thought I'd chime in with a suggestion that might be trivial or might not- if you ever don't have access to a blender or other ingredients for the all-important protein shake, I have found chocolate milk to an excellent on-the-go alternative. Especially when I play hockey, I like to have the Edensoy (or similar brands) mini-boxes of chocolate soy milk. The milk itself has protein and the chocolate flavor has added sugar for the quick acting carbs. Most Clif bars have a carb/protein ratio in that same range as well...

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:47 pm 
Has Isa on speed dial

chocolate soy milk rules! it always makes me feel like a whole new person whenever i drink it after a run. malted soy milk is pretty rockin' too, but harder to find (i can only ever get it in chinatown).

peanut butter and banana sandwiches are pretty key, too.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 3:20 pm 
Tofu Pup

I would agree with what pretty much everyone has posted. The main issue is replacing carbohydrates as opposed to protein (don't let any muscleheads fool you). This is to spare the body of excessive protein loss via the breakdown of muscle. Essentially, if you work out hard and eat too little you'll push your body into cannibalizing your lean body muscle.

From my understanding, protein has less to do with timing (relative to workout) and more with frequency and regularity. When you breakdown muscle via weight resistance (lifting) the amino acids will travel into a pool to eventually be re-utilized. While it isn't bad to take in "some" extra protein, it really is an incredibly meager amount needed. Anything over will essentially be deaminated (removal of the amino sub group) to be utilized as a carbohydrate (while not significant, it still strains the body slightly).

So why do I use protein powder after working out?
I recently switched from soymilk to almond milk which brings along a loss of ~5 to 6 grams of protein per serving (but the calcium content is great!). So I normally mix ~1 Tsp of rice protein into my almond milk.

Just aim for regularity in your diet, Listen to your body and eat when it tells you it's hungry. (Typically 4 hours after a meal and 2 - 3 hours after a snack).

Goodluck and get those gains.
If you are interested I'd recommend checking out the vegan Body Buildilng forum (www.veganbodybuilding.com), but watch out there are still lots of protein overenthusiasts over there too.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 3:24 pm 
Bought 20lbs of vegan protein powder

apple juice + vanilla rice protein. oddly yummy.

"It's because I'm judging them. Harshly. Judgey McJudgerson." - mel c

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 12:01 pm 
Huffs Nooch

appifanie wrote:

I've started p90x recently (the gym just wasn't doing it for me, the environment weirded me out too much) and I'm on my second week. I love it, and I'm already starting to notice changes :D!
I'm still working through the hemp protein that I bought, but I'm almost done, and I was thinking of getting rice protein next because of the faster absorption. Is this a good idea?

My after-workout drink formula has changed a bit. I'm going for the 4:1 carb/protein ratio. I thought about drinking chocolate milk (the idea is so appealing) but I'm trying to avoid excess refined sugar, and since I'm taking in about 10 grams of protein in my post-workout drink that would be 40g of sugar. Yikes!
As of now I'm using 3 tbsp hemp protein, 1/2 cup almond milk (sweetened), 3/4 cup water, and 1 frozen banana. Tasty and easy!

I'll have to try apple juice out though...

VeganDietician-
Thanks for the great advice and the link to vegan bodybuilding!
I have the feeling that I will be lurking there for extended periods of time.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 12:44 pm 
Bought 20lbs of vegan protein powder

nebulae - p90x is why i started doing that - it is 4:1 :)

"It's because I'm judging them. Harshly. Judgey McJudgerson." - mel c

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 1:02 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

do you make apple juice or is it store bought? are you using sun warrior or something else for the vanilla rice protein.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 7:33 pm 
Huffs Nooch

appifanie wrote:
nebulae - p90x is why i started doing that - it is 4:1 :)

Sweet!
I knew from lurking the p90x forum that you were a coach, so I figured you'd have good info when it came to post-workout drinks and p90x.

p.s.
I second Eric's questions

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 10:10 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

appifanie wrote:

What brand of vanilla rice protein do you use? I've been doing unflavored soy + apple juice and it would be surprisingly not gross if the protein powder would dissolve. The thought of adding vanilla makes me think of apple pie with ice cream!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 4:55 pm 
Nailed to the V

Yes, big bump but I don't want to start a post workout smoothie thread so.....

This is my new post workout (weights) smoothie and I am looking for any holes in it that I can improve with the goal of adding muscle to my frame. It is really yummy, sweet and I think it has a decent mix of protein/carbs/fats but I am looking for input...maybe it needs a t of coconut oil or something like that.

1 heaping T Pumkin Seed protein powder
1 T of soy milk powder
chunk of frozen yam
small handful of kale
1/2 Cup of cooked black eyed beans
1/2 banana frozen
some date soak water (no actual dates for this one)
couple of soaked almonds
1/2 cup brown rice
water

**I have ground flax/roobioos/wheat germ/seaweed in my morning smoothie so I don't need it in this one.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 10:07 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

I was going to suggest flax until I saw your comment below. Otherwise I think it looks good in that you have a good blend of protein, "fast release" carbs, and complex carbs while taking advantage of different types of foods that offer different vitamins and minerals. I think if you are looking to add muscle you just need to eat more than you burn while you are lifting weights, so you may want to add a little bit of fat for the extra calories depending on your overall daily intake. (However, as I have NEVER been in the position of trying to gain weight, I'm no expert, I'm just going off of what I read.)

I do know that your body can only absorb so much protein at a time and too much protein can be problematic so I wouldn't add any more protein to this smoothie. However, maybe you do another small protein shake somewhere else during the day? Doing so would be adding the necessary additional calories and upping your protein intake for the purpose of muscle building.

Can you post what kind of pumpkin protein powder you use? I use one that is a pea protein concentrate but I'm always looking to diversify...

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 11:37 am 
Nailed to the V

Thanks for the input. I think you are right about the fat so I am going to add 1 t of coconut oil or chunk of avocado in there too. I only add the Protein powder after workout -- off days and breakfast, I leave it out. Since starting this, I am doing the big ole vat of legumes routine of cooking a huge lot and just adding 1/2-1 cup into every meal I eat (oatmeal, salad, pureed as a spread in sandwiches, stirfrys etc.) so I am spreading out my protein over 6 meals and it really seems to be working. It is weird because I have never eating so much in my life and it is surreal thing for me to watch what I am eating in that direction instead of the limiting calories that I am used to.

I missed listing ginger into the smoothie too because it is anti inflammatory.

The Pumpkin seed stuff is awesome: affordable, tasty, good specs and my body seems to like it. I would love to do that pea powder from TrueNutrition but the cost of shipping it to Canada is ridiculous.

http://www.omeganutrition.com/ProductDetails.aspx?item_no=EPPPP021&CatId=19de5a4f-b6cf-4d27-9ef5-8a13f0475acd

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:21 am 
Tofu Pup

Hey guys! I've been lurking for a while but finally decided to join the boards! I used to be vegetarian and only recently became vegan. I'd previously done the vegan thing at home in Canada but I've been backpacking in Australia for over a year and staples like miso and nutritional yeast were hard to come by so I fell off the wagon. ANYWAYS, back on the wagon now and on a serious fitness kick. Last night and the night before I did two hours of moderate to intense cardio sessions, and another 1hr 20 min of cardio today before work and I am EXHAUSTED. I had oatmeal with apple and chia seeds for breakfast, and a handful of raw almonds + juice box of choc. soy milk after the workout. I'm still feeling so seriously drained, I need some advice on what to eat when your energy levels feel depleted. I've got red lentils and quinoa with spinach for lunch but I don't know how much that will help. Any tips would be much appreciated!!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 3:34 am 
Lubes With Earth Balance

Mollygirl wrote:
Hey guys! I've been lurking for a while but finally decided to join the boards! I used to be vegetarian and only recently became vegan. I'd previously done the vegan thing at home in Canada but I've been backpacking in Australia for over a year and staples like miso and nutritional yeast were hard to come by so I fell off the wagon. ANYWAYS, back on the wagon now and on a serious fitness kick. Last night and the night before I did two hours of moderate to intense cardio sessions, and another 1hr 20 min of cardio today before work and I am EXHAUSTED. I had oatmeal with apple and chia seeds for breakfast, and a handful of raw almonds + juice box of choc. soy milk after the workout. I'm still feeling so seriously drained, I need some advice on what to eat when your energy levels feel depleted. I've got red lentils and quinoa with spinach for lunch but I don't know how much that will help. Any tips would be much appreciated!!

It sounds to me like you've overdone it a bit with the workouts, if your body isn't used to working out. Your diet is probably fine, you probably just need a couple of days to rest and you'll feel better.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:24 pm 
Tofu Pup

Thanks for the feedback!! I think it was just a case of pushing myself a bit too hard :)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:20 am 
So Totally Yiffy

i do the vega one protein shakes and i can definitely tell that i am less sore when i have those than when i don't

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:20 am 
So Totally Yiffy

i do the vega one protein shakes and i can definitely tell that i am less sore when i have those than when i don't