| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 11:01 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: TRX?
PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 9:19 am 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

Anyone do TRX, particularly at home? Looks intriguing.

Post subject: Re: TRX?
PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 9:35 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Whoa. Looks pretty interesting, but it also just seems like a suped up version of resistance band workouts. I am intrigued, though. (I looked at the first video on the right)

http://www.fitnessanywhere.com/

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 9:40 am 

pickledtreats wrote:
Whoa. Looks pretty interesting, but it also just seems like a suped up version of resistance band workouts. I am intrigued, though. (I looked at the first video on the right)

http://www.fitnessanywhere.com/

Yeah, that's what I'm wondering. Really worht $200? Or will some cheap bands do just as well?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 12:39 pm 
WRETCHED

Oh! They have been having sales too, if you sign up for their emails or facebook, you'll see. They had a 25% sale after Thanksgiving.

We have one, my husband uses it almost exclusively and we love it. I did one of the workouts and my butt was sore for 3 days. If you really really wanted, you could probably make your own and maybe there are guides on the internet how to do so but it is an awesome workout and not quite like resistance bands.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 12:44 pm 
Chard Martyr

We just got this for the fitness studio that my friend owns. You can do it in small groups and stuff. I'm excited to try it out. I'm one of those people who doesn't have the discipline to work out on my own, so I need someone telling me what to do and how to do it. I'm so psyched for TRX because it looks so damn intense. I have a friend who is in killer shape and the first time he did TRX, he was sore for three days. Nothing else makes him sore even though he changes up his workout all the time.

If you belong to a gym/health club, they sometimes have TRX but don't keep it out, you can ask for it and see if you like it maybe, before buying it?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 3:54 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

one of my good mates is a personal trainer and she has one of these she uses with her clients [and for herself]. She raves about it, says it's amazing for a really good tough workout. Hopefully I'm going to get to have a go with it over the holidays : ) Definitely not something we have the cash to invest in, but I'm keen to see how it works!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 8:11 pm 

Meggs wrote:
We just got this for the fitness studio that my friend owns. You can do it in small groups and stuff. I'm excited to try it out. I'm one of those people who doesn't have the discipline to work out on my own, so I need someone telling me what to do and how to do it. I'm so psyched for TRX because it looks so damn intense. I have a friend who is in killer shape and the first time he did TRX, he was sore for three days. Nothing else makes him sore even though he changes up his workout all the time.

If you belong to a gym/health club, they sometimes have TRX but don't keep it out, you can ask for it and see if you like it maybe, before buying it?

I belong to a YMCA, I will ask! Thanks Meggs and Linanil for the positive reviews!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 8:02 am 
Chard Martyr

I did TRX for the first time yesterday and it was awesome! There are so many different exercises that you can do! I like it because you can do things like put you feet in the straps and you are off-balance, so your core has to work harder, but you're not so off-balance (like a bosu) that you're struggling to stay in form for exercises... if that makes sense. I felt my abs work like they've never worked before. I felt my hamstrings work in crazy ways. Some times getting into certain positions (especially when your feet go into the TRX straps) is awkward, but wow- it's a great workout! Another plus is that you control how hard you work out- you use your own body weight/resistance.

I can see why you and your husband love it, linanil!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 4:49 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I'm really considering getting this with my tax refund money, but I'm worried I could get burnt out on it and get used to the exercises. Is there a lot of flexibility and room to change things up and "confuse" the muscles as the p90x folks call it?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 5:03 pm 
Chard Martyr

I would get bored with it after about 30 mins of continuous use. But that's me.

Doing it in a small group exercise/personal training format, I could see doing it in a circuit training-type format for over an hour, or doing it for an hour with someone coaching me on it, but otherwise I'd grow bored or frustrated with it quickly, but that's my personality. Except for the ab exercises- those are amazing!

I don't think that your body would get used to the exercises, because you just change the positioning of your feet to make it more difficult (heavier, more body weight) or easier (less body weight) and I think it would be difficult to do the same exercises two days in a row if you do them well/in form/properly. There are so many different exercises you can do! Look on YouTube and the fitness anywhere site first, and see what you think of the videos! I think it would probably be a good strength training compliment to your running regimen, if you like the stuff you see on the videos.

(Take this with a grain of salt from me, as I have free access to the equipment right now. I'd probably have to think long and hard before shelling out the money for my own TRX, even as much as I like it.)