| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Nov 29, 2014 1:46 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 795 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 28, 29, 30, 31, 32  Next
 Post subject: Re: Couch to 5K
PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 2:21 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

You can definitely do it, signing up for a race can motivate you to train harder. Plus, racing is fun!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 2:34 pm 
Tofu Pup

I'm starting this in July. I tried to start it this month, but I got sick, and am still trying to get over it. I'm excited, though, I'm switching the program up for me a bit. I'm going to focus on doing each "program" each month. So for like the month of July, I'll do the 4 minute warm up walk, 60 seconds run, 90 seconds brisk walk 8x, and cool down walk, three times a week for one month, and hen go onto a longer one the next.

I'm not really in shape, so I figure I probably shouldn't push myself to finish it all in 6 weeks.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 5:40 pm 
Memorized Veganomicon

I have to agree, if I didn't have a 5K I signed up for, I probably wouldn't go run; great motivation, not wanting to lose that race sign-up cost :)

And I agree as well about how hard it is to train in the heat. I went running early morning on a rainy day, with cold wind. I ran for the longest distance without stopping so far, at a sub-30 minutes 5K pace. I actually checked my Strava (running app) twice to make sure it wasn't making a mistake. In retrospect, I think it was the weather that was just perfect. And I'm super happy that I am getting better every week, so encouraging!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:57 am 
Memorized Veganomicon

Has anyone read "No Meat Athlete" from Matt Frazier? Seems interesting.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 1:01 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

So, I decided to kick it up a notch. I'm still having to run indoors, but due to my body being so run down from sickness and a million other things, I've been "running" in place at a pretty lame speed. Yesterday I really pushed myself to actually get my heart rate up and I got good and sweaty.

Today, of course, I'm wiped out. But I'm hoping soon I can actually run outdoors again. I'm on week 7 this week. I may try the outdoor run tomorrow and see if my allergies kill me.

http://toocheapforpinenuts.wordpress.com/

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:48 am 
Memorized Veganomicon

How is everyone doing with their training? I completed my second 5K in July, and am signed up for a 10K in October. I hope that you've accomplished your goals! Or are still working towards them; clearly in the case of running it is the journey that counts!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 6:40 pm 
***LIES!!!***

I can now run 35 minutes straight. Of course that's only 2.25 miles. I could probably run slightly faster, although my heart rate is hovering in the 175-180 range after about 5 minutes, so I don't want to go crazy. Just working on chipping away at going a little bit longer each time. Anyone have a lead on a "run 5K faster" kind of program? At this point I'm sprinting the last 30 seconds of my run just to feel my legs move fast, but when I run a tad faster in the middle of the program I exhaust myself and have to stop. I'm signed up for a Thanksgiving 5K and I'd like to actually run the whole thing (even if slow)!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:15 am 
Memorized Veganomicon

Ariann, that's great! I actually personally take short walk breaks, kinda following the Jeff Galloway method, and finished my second 5K faster than the first one I had run the whole way!

I am no expert, but from what I have understood about what I've read, fartleks are what makes you improve your time. So I guess if you could find a training plan which includes them? Or one labelled "intermediate". I am currently reading the Runner's World Complete Book of Women's Running, and learning tons. I am following her 10K training plan and it's one of the least complicated I've come across.

Good luck for the Thanksgiving 5K!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:13 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Ariann wrote:
I can now run 35 minutes straight. Of course that's only 2.25 miles. I could probably run slightly faster, although my heart rate is hovering in the 175-180 range after about 5 minutes, so I don't want to go crazy. Just working on chipping away at going a little bit longer each time. Anyone have a lead on a "run 5K faster" kind of program? At this point I'm sprinting the last 30 seconds of my run just to feel my legs move fast, but when I run a tad faster in the middle of the program I exhaust myself and have to stop. I'm signed up for a Thanksgiving 5K and I'd like to actually run the whole thing (even if slow)!

I've always wanted to do a thanksgiving trott. Exciting! Honestly I wouldn't worry about getting faster yet. As you work up to the 5k distance and your fitness improves, you'll get faster at the same time. It's one of the awesome things about getting into running, since you make many improvements/PRs just by getting out there and doing it regularly. After the distance is comfortable to you then you could then try some speedwork routines. Many runners focus on training for 5ks to work on speed so you will find a lot of training plans to help with that. For my first 5k my goal was just to finish the distance without walking.

FWIW I hate running with a heart rate monitor, but I know some people love it. I don't like having something telling me to slow down when I feel fine. I find it more effective to use self-perceived exertion like maintaining the ability to have a conversation, etc.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 1:45 am 
Frees Bunny Slippers

Ariann wrote:

How many times a week do you run?
If you are running more than 5 times a week you can try to add one day a week some fartlek. For example: 5 min warming up, 5*(1*1 minute running fast with 3 minutes easy jogging to recover) 5 minutes cool down.
Some other day of the week(just not the next one) a small tempo run. For example: 5min warming up. 1 mile fast. 5 minutes cooling down.

if you run less than 5 times a week you might want to do one week a fartlek run and the next week a tempo run.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 11:13 pm 
***LIES!!!***

:) Thank you for all the support, guys.

So something wacky happened yesterday. I got on the treadmill and just decided after five minutes or so of running that I should just run a 5K, that I could totally do it, and that I should just keep thinking about the fact that the beginning is the hardest and soon the beginning would be over (and it was true!). I covered the read outs with a towel and made myself run, checking my heart rate every so often and slowing down/speeding up accordingly, until I thought enough time had passed. At the end I ran all out for about a minute. Took me 48.5 minutes altogether. I did think a lot about how just a couple months ago I was overwhelmed running 5-8 minutes and almost psyched myself out. I was pretty impressed with myself, though! And today I felt totally great, not sore or anything. The only real 5K I've ever run was about 15 years ago, and I finished in 41 minutes. I am amazed that I'm not running much slower 15 years older and 30 pounds heavier.

These days I am running usually 2 days inside and one outside, plus I do one major lifting day a week, which includes some cardio in the form of 10-20 minutes of swings. My outside run day involves way more walking than running. It is just too freaking hot and humid, especially since I usually run in the late afternoon. The only reason I make sure to do it at least once a week outside is because I want to make sure I'm getting in enough pounding on the road to get used to it, plus I know I can't run nearly as much outside as on the treadmill and so need to work on the mental part especially of being on the road, even though I always keep the treadmill at an incline to try to model the difficulty of outside. Hoping when it gets cooler to increase the amount of time outdoors and when the school year begins and my schedule is a little more regimented, to increase the number of days as well. I will try to add a fartlek day when I add an extra day of running in the fall!

By the way, the reason I check my heart rate (not with a monitor, just hand holds on the treadmill every 5-10 minutes), is that I do find I can go *much* longer if I don't let my heart rate get too high. My perceived exertion doesn't often match up with what my heart rate is doing.

Butternut, are you going to be in the area on Thanksgiving? Want to run with me?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 6:40 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Oh, I would love to run it with you but I will be out of town for the holiday.

Awesome on the 5K distance! Soon enough the weather will be cooler and perfect for outside running.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:00 pm 
***LIES!!!***

5k in 48 minutes today. And none of it felt easy, but it all felt totally doable and like I could've gone even a little bit further. Got home and it was really hard not to eat all the things.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 5:31 pm 
***LIES!!!***

47 minutes, yay! Let's go eat all the things.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 7:32 pm 
Asked Santa for a pony

That's awesome, Ariann!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 9:38 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Totally awesome!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 9:45 am 
***LIES!!!***

:) I did a good job not eating ALL the things.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 7:50 pm 
Chip Strong

Ariann, where are you running the Thanksgiving 5k? I started the program a couple of times this summer but then something or other comes up and I keep needing to start over. I was going to start again this week and I think if I actually signup for a 5k I might actually finish!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:05 pm 
***LIES!!!***

That would be so fun! It is in Morristown, NJ.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 8:02 am 
Chip Strong

Oh that wouldn't work. I'd have to get up ridiculously early to get there (and would need a car). But there is one in Prospect Park so maybe I'll sign up for that!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 3:16 am 
Bathes in Braggs

Mr. Cornelie and I did our first C25K run yesterday! I am so psyched about it. I start hyperventilating really quickly when I run. I thought the intervals would help me catch my breath and they did! I haven't done a lot of exercise in the last few years and it feels so good to get into it again. I can't believe I easily ran for 8 minutes yesterday, even if it was in one minute intervals. I can't image being able to run for the whole 30 minutes, but I guess if other people can do it, so can I.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:36 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I just started! Week 1, Day 1 complete!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 2:36 am 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

You can do it Cornelie! And Fizzgig, well done!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 1:22 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

Week two! The first run went great. We're on a trip now, but we brought our running shoes, so we'll try to stick with the schedule.

How's it going Fizzgig?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:31 am 
So Totally Yiffy

I started this with my best friend last week. I'm wildly out of shape and trying to shift some lb's too - I'm so proud that we stuck to our schedule and did the three week one runs. It wasn't easy, but I felt so damn proud of myself. I just really hope that I keep it up!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 795 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 28, 29, 30, 31, 32  Next