| FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:56 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 862 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 31, 32, 33, 34, 35  Next
 Post subject: Re: Couch to 5K
PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 10:15 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Tonight's the night! that dreaded week 5 20 minute jog! I started listening to Welcome to Nightvale while I do it though, so that seemed to make the 8 minute jogs go smoothly...wish me luck!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 10:29 am 
Ninja Master

Good luck Fizzgig! You will rock it! :)

Food & beauty blog: http://alienontoast.co.uk
http://www.facebook.com/alienontoast
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoZl0Q3szfT7TXQOkVCYypA

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 10:16 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Thanks baps! I did rock it indeed! I walked for about 10-15 seconds over halfway through (maybe around minute 12) when my phone got overwhelmed and stopped playing any noises and I was trying to fix it. My fix lasted about a minute then I tried to fix it while I was running (I don't run that fast and it's on a very familiar path) and that tok almost 5 minutes. Silly phone. But I did it! I figure that little walk break doesn't make it a failure because I still did it and felt pretty good at the end! Yay! Onto week 6 tomorrow!

What week are the rest of you on?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 1:32 pm 
One Trick Dick

About to start Week One, not sure if this bum knee will allow me to make it through or not.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 9:23 am 
Nailed to the V

I splashed out on an Ipod Nano specifically to run a C25K app and - guess what - the nano doesn't run apps! Grrrr....
Does anyone have any recommendations for C25K podcasts?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 10:38 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Oh no! That's a shame about the ipod.

I just finished week one today, I'm going to repeat it before moving on to week two.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 10:43 am 
Nailed to the V

Finally got my arse into gear and went to the gym this morning. Apparently 6 am is a nice quiet time.
Week 1, Day 1 done! And it wasn't as painful as I expected!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 2:32 pm 
Nailed to the V

W1, D2 done. Lungs are fine, legs are weak. Onwards!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 11:14 am 
BAD PASS

I'm gonna go do one at lunch since the weather's cool. I was on week 5 (I think?), but I haven't done one in a while. Might turn it back to week 3 or so.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 12:41 pm 
Nailed to the V

Moving on to week 2 tomorrow. I ran for a whole four minutes on Saturday, haven't done that since I was 15.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 9:31 am 
Nailed to the V

So week 2 was fine, week 3 was fine, then today I took myself off the treadmill and onto the road and jeebus, it's so much harder to do! I think I have to go back to week 2 out there. Not sure if it's because the road isn't flat (duh), or if I'm going faster than I would on the treadmill, or if the entire pizza I ate last night was weighing me down. So bummed out.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 9:36 am 
Ninja Master

Wallace22 wrote:
So week 2 was fine, week 3 was fine, then today I took myself off the treadmill and onto the road and jeebus, it's so much harder to do! I think I have to go back to week 2 out there. Not sure if it's because the road isn't flat (duh), or if I'm going faster than I would on the treadmill, or if the entire pizza I ate last night was weighing me down. So bummed out.

Yeah it really is harder on the road than the treadmill. I did the same thing the last time I did C25K, I always ran on the treadmill but then my friend decided she wanted to do it with me so I went in the mornings with her and it was horrible!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 10:06 am 
Nailed to the V

Lardy... Does it get better Baps?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 11:12 am 
Ninja Master

Luckily for me my friend never finishes anything so I happily went back to finishing it at the gym! :)

I've debated whether or not to start it it outside right from the beginning instead of on a treadmill, when I'm ready to attempt this again.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 1:15 pm 
Nailed to the V

Excellent result! I think I'll go back to week 2 (or even 1) outside and hit week 4 inside. My sister (who's still back home in Scotland) is starting today so I might see if she fancies partnering up remotely. Except she lives in the Cairngorms, so mountains and snow...

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 11:32 am 
Nailed to the V

Week 2, Day 1 - outside. Ooofty.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 10:56 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

I've started this before and not finished. I'm going to start again, with a specific goal in mind this time. A friend will be in town to run a 5K in late November, so I'm going to sign up to do it with her. It's one of the fun, gimmicky ones, so not even really a race. Even if I can't quite run the whole thing by then, at least I'll be a thousand times closer than I am now! I've mastered the couch... now on to the 5K.

Etsy shop: https://www.etsy.com/shop/StrangeJourneyDesign

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 11:12 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

I did day one! I spent about 15 minutes trying to rationalize NOT doing it before finally dragging my butt upstairs to get dressed. I wasn't sure I'd be able to complete all of the runs, but I did. The last one about killed me, but I freaking DID IT. I'm super proud of myself right now. And I have my clothes laid out for tomorrow, so that's one less excuse for day two.

Etsy shop: https://www.etsy.com/shop/StrangeJourneyDesign

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 3:03 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I've restarted this program again. I completed it a few years ago, but didn't run consistently afterwards. Now I've committed myself to a 5K race in early April, so I've restarted the program.

So far, I've done the first 2 runs of Week 1, with the 3rd run scheduled for Friday. Because I live in a snowy climate, I've been running on the treadmill. We're having unseasonably warm weather though, so the sidewalks might have melted enough by Sunday for me to start my Week 2 outside.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 9:23 am 
Aired her grievances, lost the feat of strength

I think I'm gonna start this again when I get back to the UK next week. I've been walking appx 12000 steps a day whilst travelling almost every day for the last year but there's no way I'll keep that up whilst I'm in London, travelling with my friend who doesn't love to walk everywhere, or roadtripping. Last time I did it on a treadmill and got stuck somewhere around week 3 or 4 but this time I'm gonna have to do it outside because I can't afford the gym... I rage ran for about 10 minutes once in Thailand last year so maybe I can run for more than 4 mins with the right motivation!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 9:34 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I didn't realise there was a thread on this. I have been doing it for a few weeks now. I start Week 3 tomorrow, fingers crossed I'm well enough that is.

I had to repeat a couple of days because I got period cramps and didn't manage to properly complete them, but hopefully I'll get there!

I find it funny how much harder running is for me than walking. I can walk ten miles and just be a little tired, but I am burned out on running ninety seconds. How?!? Anyway I figure running is a good skill and probably good for my heart or something so I'm giving it a go.

Three minutes of running tomorrow though sound hard to me, that's double what I'm doing now!!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 8:03 pm 

The hotel I'm at has a gym so I started yesterday! Day 1 was easier this time around than last time but my knee hurts a little today. I'm hopefully gonna be able to start doing a little yoga next week which should help strengthen some of the muscles in that area.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 2:50 pm 

I did day 2 on a treadmill at another hotel the other day and then did it again today to see what running outside would be like. It was okay, I ran around the village green, but it was definitely a bit harder than on a treadmill. I'll do day 3 and then cross my fingers that I can magically run for longer than 60 seconds next week!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 4:01 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

I used this last Spring and got to 5k and was running pretty regularly into December. I've only been running 4 times this year... lot's of life stuff getting in the way. Anyway, I'm planning to go out for a run tomorrow. If I have trouble going 5k I'll probably download the app again and try for week 3 or 4.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 6:33 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Jojo, I always find running outside to be a lot harder than on a treadmill. I think with the variation in the ground, the weather (like today it was really windy), the fact you have to be aware of your surroundings etc all makes it harder. I also think it's harder to control your speed, I always go too fast by accident. But then, I find it easier to complete hard runs when I'm outside. Because on a treadmill, you can just stop and get off whenever, when you're running outside...you're already so far from home, if you stop you have to walk all that distance back, so you may as well carry on.

I did day 2 of week 3 today. I hadn't ran since last Friday because I had a mini flare up. I know C25K is meant to be strict with the whole "3 times a week" thing but I can't commit to that, so hopefully it's ok to just do "as and when" I can. Anyway I really struggled with day 1 running the whole 3 minutes. This time I slowed right down, so far I almost felt a little silly, but they do say to run at a speed you can hold a conversation at. Anyway I completed it all fine and actually ran a bit longer at the end because I was OK to! Which is surprising.

It helped me that my husband did a run with me and pointed out that I was running really fast. I guess my mind just goes "running=speed!" and zooms off. Which was OK for the short runs but it's not manageable now it's getting longer (yeah lol I know 3 minutes isn't a Long Run to anyone except me). So I'm working on slowing down. Maybe putting slower songs on my playlist instead of upbeat exercisey ones.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 862 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 31, 32, 33, 34, 35  Next