| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Sep 16, 2014 3:04 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 767 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 31  Next
 Post subject: Re: Couch to 5K
PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 11:04 pm 
Tofu Pup Forever

i just finished week 4, but i think i may do one more day of it, because i had a hard time finishing today. i really enjoy doing this because ive started enjoying running. i think i just really like the protein shake afterward.

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 1:57 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I started W1R1 today. I can tell I haven't been working out for a few weeks and put on some weight this past year! The people that designed this obviously don't know what "couch" means. I didn't finish, but I did do 18 mins including 4 intervals (the 3rd one I only did about 45 seconds) and finished a mile. So, it looks like I'll be on week one for awhile, but that's ok.

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 2:09 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

Holy moly. I switched back to running in my Vibram FiveFingers (I used them a few years ago, but mostly for walks) and WOW. I did W1R3 today. I was running faster and more smoothly, though it was a little difficult to not smack my heels on the ground. And my calves are ON FIRE. WOOO.

www.monsterdoodlebook.com - DRAW! MONSTERS!

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 2:37 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Your muscles do work completely differently in those, don't they ilaj? I think that's part of why my calves were tightening up so much. I don't have the five fingers, but I do use a completely flexible sole shoe (not vegan) and it takes longer to build up those muscles than in other walking/running shoes.

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 10:31 pm 
Smuggling Raisins

I have shin splints. Man are these forkers painful. Have to take time off before I start week 2. I might even do week 1 over.

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 4:02 am 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

ugh, that sucks Rats. im surprised i havent gotten them yet. or a stitch in my side. been lucky so far.

finished W4 yesterday and felt great! im actually shocked that its going so well (*so far). the weather was perfect though, almost no sun and cool out. im really not looking forward to running during the summer. i get overheated very quickly.

W5 actually looks easier somehow. there is actually 1 minute less running and about 2 minutes more walking. there are three blocks of 5 minute runs though. so we'll see.

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 10:04 am 

deearess wrote:
Your muscles do work completely differently in those, don't they ilaj?

Yeah, different parts that you don't use in regular shoes. My lower calves are crazy tense. I'm having trouble walking today. I should be good by tomorrow though.

I didn't have any side stitches in week 1, which is awesome. That's my biggest problem.

STAY STRONG, EVERYBODY! Rats, are you icing and massing your shins? A lot of people say to write the ABCs with your toes as a way to stretch them out. Cute.

www.monsterdoodlebook.com - DRAW! MONSTERS!

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 4:46 am 

did W5D1 yesterday. it actually was a bit of a step up from W4 with the 3 blocks of 5 min runs.

and WHOOPS! looks like i misread W5's schedule. i thought it was going to be all the same as W5D1, but day 3 is a 20 minute run, no breaks! (im doing the coolrunnings.com version of the C25K)

the hell?! sounds scary.

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 7:42 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Matty, I saw that you're doing the 100pushup thing too, but I'm wondering is anybody doing any other cardio on your off days of couch to 5k? 30 min (or less so far) just 3 days a week doesn't seem like much to me. I love the elliptical and spinner, but I don't want to cause problems with progressing in the c25k. Thoughts?

ETA: gonna try again today to complete the first day.

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 7:54 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I also had to stop temporarily. I don't know exactly what's up but my knees have been killing me whenever I do anything with them. I've even had to scale back to the modified versions of everything involving legs in P90X, too.

RatsRGods, I just ordered these jumper knee bands and I recall some people in the reviews saying they either had or thought they had (because "thought" can make a huge difference here) shin splints and that the knee things helped. I don't know if that's any use to you, but they're $6. I linked the green one but they come in many colors.

http://www.amazon.com/Mueller-Jumpers-K ... 226&sr=8-3

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 5:59 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Well I just finished my attempt for today. I went for 22 mins and had a total of 5 intervals today. (Did 4, skipped #5 and then did #6). Someone remind me why I wanted to try this. I'm gonna give it a go for a little while and if I feel the need, I might go back to the elliptical/spinner for a while until I lose some weight. This is a lot to carry around on these short little legs

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 6:36 pm 
Smuggling Raisins

bekki, thanks for the link! I might invest in one.

ilaj, no, I have been bad and haven't been icing! I will try the ABC's thing though.

deearess, on my off days I plan to do a less strenous walk and maybe some yoga to help out with the tightness I feel in my legs the day after a run.

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 11:02 pm 

deearess wrote:
Matty, I saw that you're doing the 100pushup thing too, but I'm wondering is anybody doing any other cardio on your off days of couch to 5k? 30 min (or less so far) just 3 days a week doesn't seem like much to me. I love the elliptical and spinner, but I don't want to cause problems with progressing in the c25k. Thoughts?

ETA: gonna try again today to complete the first day.

im just walking the dogs, so not a hell of a lot of cardio no. id suggest taking it easy inbetween days until you get into the swing of things. just to be safe.

deearess wrote:
Well I just finished my attempt for today. I went for 22 mins and had a total of 5 intervals today. (Did 4, skipped #5 and then did #6). Someone remind me why I wanted to try this. I'm gonna give it a go for a little while and if I feel the need, I might go back to the elliptical/spinner for a while until I lose some weight. This is a lot to carry around on these short little legs

dont quit now! just keep walking if you are getting worn out and try to mix some running in when you feel up to it. just keep moving is the key.

id say a 20-30 minute walk inbetween days couldnt hurt either, as long as its not causing you pain or discomfort.

i havent lost a pound since i started and im on W5 now. but im certainly stronger than i was on W1.

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 6:20 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Rats, the yoga is a great idea. I might still do the elliptical just because I think it's fun, but I'm not sure I know how to take it easy doing that!

Matty, thanks for the encouragement! I'm totally not ready to give up now. But, I do realize that my weight is a hindrance. So if it's just too hard on me after a couple weeks, I might have to put a more concentrated effort to losing some weight before I give it another go. I'm not afraid of a hard workout, but I do want to be sensitive to what my joints are telling me.

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 7:29 am 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

Started week 1 Tuesday, and am going for round 2 today. I'm asthmatic so it's pretty difficult, but I know I can power through. Im still a little sore from my first round, but hopefully that doesn't make today's workout too painful :-/

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 7:03 pm 
Memorized Veganomicon

Ughhhhhh W5D3 just kicked my asparagus! I couldn't do it and I'll have to try it over again in a day or two. But holy cow I can't believe how far I've come since I started :) I'm really really really enjoying running, and I'm really proud of the improvement in how long I can go compared to W1. I don't know if I've lost any weight because I don't own a scale, but I know that I feel better about myself for being on the road to becoming fit, and I know that's way more important than waiting for numbers to change.

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 8:01 pm 

I"m on week 5 run 2 on my bike. Mid june I plan to join a gym and start doing it on the treadmill. It's done nothing but rain here for months. I am not holding out hope for being able to do this in nice weather so I'm just gonna join a gym and run on a treadmill. Bf is joining and doing it too.

http://www.beyondwillpower.blogspot.com
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Beyond-Willpower-Vegan-Weight-Loss-Journey-Blog/145691962154879 <<< Feel free to "like"

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 7:53 am 
Ninja Master

I've had to put a pin in this for a while due to my health sucking at the moment. Once my stomach is sorted I will start again. Gutted. :-(

Make up blog: http://love-lipstick.blogspot.com
Food blog: http://alienontoast.blogspot.com
FB Page for both blogs: http://www.facebook.com/lipstickontoast

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 9:32 am 

I ride my bike pretty far to work most days, also on the off days. But I don't do any other specific exercise.

I took a week-long break when it rained all.the.time but week 2 run 3 went fine on Wednesday. Today is week 3 run 1. I am scared of 3 minutes!

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 3:00 pm 
Asked Santa for a Hoveringdog

I'm still doing this, though I had to take a break because of the crappy weather we were having. Anyways, I did a run over the weekend, and after about 15 min, my one foot felt like it was falling asleep when I'd do the running sections. I was wearing the same shoes I always do, and I even stopped and re-did my shoelaces thinking that I had them too tight, but it didn't help. Has this ever happened to anyone else? It also used to happen to me when I'd use the elliptical for long periods, but my trainer told me that was normal because I wasn't fully extending my legs or something to that effect, and not to worry about it.

deearess, I also take my dog for long walks, and ride my bike but I don't always count the dog walks as cardio since we stop and look at things,and neither of us is ever in any hurry, we're just enjoying the relaxation of it.

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 11:47 pm 

ive been lucky avoiding the actual rain. been getting out inbetween showers. its been perfectly overcast and cool for me lately. lucky me.

so i ran for 20 minutes straight last week! what the fizzle! im pretty sure ive never run for 20 minutes straight in my whole life before. pretty cool.

im pretty sure im no where near 5k at this point though. ive been sticking with time based runs rather than distance. been trying to pick up the pace over the last few runs though, because otherwise an actual 5k run is going to take me 3 hrs at this pace.

havent lost a pound yet in 6 weeks either. ha. i always get so hungry after a run. been eating a ton recently.

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 8:29 pm 
Memorized Veganomicon

Congrats matty!

I just finished week 6!! I ran 25 minutes without stopping and honestly I could have kept going!! I really surprised myself; W6R2 is 2x 10 minutes and I was doggin' it, but today it wasn't no thang. I'm also pretty sure that I'm not running close to 5k in distance, but next week I'm going to try an actual planned route (instead of meandering around campus..) so that I can gauge my actual distance. Hooray for couch 2 5k!

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 6:06 am 

thaks zaquette. congrats yourself! sounds like were around the same spot in the program. and guess what? no more walking! yikes.

this week (er is it 7? i dont have to consult the schedule much anymore) is all running 25 minutes a clip. whew. starting to get hot too, which sucks. id rather run in winter, but i guess ill get my chance to live up to those words if i keep going.

im still slow as hell. 25 min is no where near 5k. last time i checked i was doing like an 11-12 minute mile. maybe that will pick up when i get into better shape.

keep moving folks!

Last edited by matty on Tue May 31, 2011 6:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 6:07 am 

oops double post.

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 10:33 am 

I hurt my foot (doing housework of all things. meh) and have paused because of it. Today it is pouring and I feel like I might have to re-do week 2 because of the break.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 767 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 31  Next