| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 3:52 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 755 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 31  Next
 Post subject: Re: Couch to 5K
PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 8:09 pm 
Memorized Veganomicon

Thanks matty! I hope week 7 is treating you well :) Don't stress m.iau; I think everyone has to re-do a run here and there due to missing scheduled runs. I took, like, a month off after week 1 or 2 because I got crazy busy with school and I actually didn't have to redo THAT much.

I almost rolled my ankle the other day doing W7R1 so I had kind of a crappy run, but today I ran the whole thing for W7R2 even though it's a billion degrees and heat is my kryptonite at the best of times :D And I checked my distance and I'm not too far off from 5K! I found a handy thingie for figuring out the length of my route; I'm probably the last person to hear about this but I've found it really helpful so I thought I'd share: http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 9:03 pm 
Tofu Pup Forever

I haven't finished the whole thing, but I did actually run an entire 5k this Saturday--39:06, not fast, but I'm so thrilled that I didn't walk at all! But I still plan to finish out the C25K series to increase my speed and endurance. Keep at it everybody! It's so worth it to cross a finish line and feel like you were really (mostly, in my case) prepared. :)

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 10:27 pm 
Saggy Butt

Just popping in here. I'm still doing the program, but I don't always have time in my schedule to run 3x a week, so I'm aiming for 2, and right now I'm still working on week 3 over and over again until I feel comfortable moving up to week 4. I can run 4 min at a time but not 5, so I'll get there eventually.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 2:57 am 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

thanks zaqette!
I actually did not re-do week 2 for my first run since 1.5 weeks ago, just jumped back in at week 3. It went well. I will continue w3.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 3:53 am 
Ninja Master

I'm going to try and restart this on Monday. If my boss can't do it with me I'll just have to go alone.

Make up blog: http://love-lipstick.blogspot.com
Food blog: http://alienontoast.blogspot.com
FB Page for both blogs: http://www.facebook.com/lipstickontoast

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:12 pm 

I finished week 1, woooo! Terrified of week two though, ha. :P We shall see.

http://www.beyondwillpower.blogspot.com
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Beyond-Willpower-Vegan-Weight-Loss-Journey-Blog/145691962154879 <<< Feel free to "like"

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:07 am 

good job beyondwillpower!

yesterday's run (w3r2) was hard, but I did it. I hope the next one will be easier again.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 1:13 am 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

good work everybody. keep it up!

lindseybunny wrote:
I haven't finished the whole thing, but I did actually run an entire 5k this Saturday--39:06, not fast, but I'm so thrilled that I didn't walk at all! But I still plan to finish out the C25K series to increase my speed and endurance. Keep at it everybody! It's so worth it to cross a finish line and feel like you were really (mostly, in my case) prepared. :)

wow. awesome. congrats!

zaqette wrote:
I almost rolled my ankle the other day doing W7R1 so I had kind of a crappy run, but today I ran the whole thing for W7R2 even though it's a billion degrees and heat is my kryptonite at the best of times :D And I checked my distance and I'm not too far off from 5K! I found a handy thingie for figuring out the length of my route; I'm probably the last person to hear about this but I've found it really helpful so I thought I'd share: http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/

thanks zaquette. W7 done i think. week 8 going on D2 now. 28 minutes a pop.

close calal with the ankle roll. those suck. im good for one good one every once in a while, running or not. i had a minor one on W1, but luckily i was able to keep going.

thanks for posting that site. im going to check that out.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 7:26 pm 

I start week2 today! Will post back and let you know if I survived or not. (I can't help but wonder if I'm not as out of shape as I'm used to being these days....) maybe it won't kill me. :P

http://www.beyondwillpower.blogspot.com
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Beyond-Willpower-Vegan-Weight-Loss-Journey-Blog/145691962154879 <<< Feel free to "like"

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 4:47 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

i used to be a 5K 3x week runner, but i had to quit because of my eating disorder. but now i am ready to get back into it.. so i am starting the program - i figure even though i used to run, i better start from scratch.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 7:52 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Between hot weather, inconvenient schedule and the fact that it was just plain hard, I quit doing this a couple weeks ago. However, I started this week doing it on the treadmill. I've been through 2 walk/runs and feeling great. Unlike when I was trying it outside, I've been able to do all the jog intervals with just adding the occasional extra 30 seconds or a minute recovery time toward the end. It's hard for me and I'm slow, but doable so far. I'm not up to 5k because I'm so slow, but yesterday's was 2.75 miles in 50 min. Once I get it on the treadmill, maybe I can attempt building up outside.

Is it just me or has anybody else noticed on the mornings after a walk/run (I've been doing them at night) that your morning elimination is more productive. I'm already regular, but it's different.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 9:13 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I did run W1D3 on treadmill yesterday and it went well. But, the week 1 runs are still pretty hard. Those of you that found that W1D3 was still hard, did you repeat week 1 or push through to try week 2?

Weird thing - my knee was bothering me just a little bit after w1d2 and the next day I had spinning. The spinning class straightened up whatever was going on with my knee!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:48 pm 
Saggy Butt

Dearess - I did week one for a couple of weeks, and repeated all the weeks for a few weeks. I'm now on Week 13 of doing C25K but just started Week 4 of the program. Last week I did W4D1 but today (after a weekend of BBQ gluttoning) found it too difficult, so I compromised and alternated 3 min of running with 90 sec of walking for the full program. You want to feel comfortable and like you can actually accomplish each week, so only move on when you feel ready.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 4:36 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Thanks, that's what I decided to do. I was able to do w1d1 again yesterday without adding in any extra recovery time between intervals. I'm doing it a little differently from how it's written because 30 mins of cardio just isn't enough for me generally. So I guess it makes sense that if I do it for longer, it *would* be harder and will take me a while to advance.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:35 am 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

I'm running 25 minutes in a row today and I'm a little nervous. I can do it!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:38 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

deearess wrote:
Thanks, that's what I decided to do. I was able to do w1d1 again yesterday without adding in any extra recovery time between intervals. I'm doing it a little differently from how it's written because 30 mins of cardio just isn't enough for me generally. So I guess it makes sense that if I do it for longer, it *would* be harder and will take me a while to advance.

When I did C25k I added a couple extra cycles at the end because 30 minutes didn't feel long enough. Up through week 5 or so, anyway. Definitely take your time until you feel relatively comfortable!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:59 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

Started this today! I have been out of action for six weeks with a torn quad, this seems like a nice gentle way to get back into things.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:57 am 

week 5 day 1 went surprisingly well, now I'm off to try day 2. 8 minutes of running, my longest run yet! (this is so sad. still, I am proud).

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:50 am 
Ninja Master

m.iau wrote:
(this is so sad. still, I am proud).

you should be proud, it's awesome.

I'm having surgery in a few weeks and once I'm better I'm hoping to restart this. I told the lovely lady at the gym about it and she's going to write it into my new programme when I review it.

Make up blog: http://love-lipstick.blogspot.com
Food blog: http://alienontoast.blogspot.com
FB Page for both blogs: http://www.facebook.com/lipstickontoast

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 4:20 am 

sorry i havent posted in a while. been away from the ppk.

i graduated a few weeks back! whoo! i can run 30 minutes without stopping for crying out loud. pretty cool.

and now its WAY too hot to run. i havent even run once this week yet. i need a treadmill or something. this sucks.

keep moving everybody. you can do it! good luck.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 1:15 pm 

How is everyone doing? My 20 minute run at the end of week 5 went great. Week 6 is more challenging because it's been stormy and raining and unpleasant to run.

congrats on graduating matty!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:41 am 
Saggy Butt

I'm still going strong. I just did week 5 day 2 today without any problems. I can run the whole 8 min segment w/o even checking the time. But I have no idea what the next run will be like. 8 minutes to 20 seems like a huge increase after all of the previous smaller ones. I'll do my best but I forsee having to do some smaller sets for a few weeks first, like 10-12 min running at a time w/ a walking segment between.

Those who've already passed that week, how was it? Any tips for going from 8 to 20 without collapsing? Keep in mind that 8 min at a time is the longest I've run in my life!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:34 am 
Dead by dawn

Little My, I didn't do C25k, per se, but I worked my way up from walking to run/walk to run and 8 to 20 seems like a huge leap, but if your walk segments in between your runs aren't very long, then all you're really doing is filling those small gaps with running. My big leap went from doing a 2.8 mile loop by 6 min running/1 min walking. When I was done I realized that meant that I only walked a total of 6 minutes for the whole thing, and I figured if I could do that, I could probably just run the whole thing, so I did. For me, it was just realizing that I already was running the vast majority. Six minutes was the longest I'd ever run in my life. This was only a couple of months ago and now I'm up to 60 minutes/10k.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:48 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Little My wrote:
I'm still going strong. I just did week 5 day 2 today without any problems. I can run the whole 8 min segment w/o even checking the time. But I have no idea what the next run will be like. 8 minutes to 20 seems like a huge increase after all of the previous smaller ones. I'll do my best but I forsee having to do some smaller sets for a few weeks first, like 10-12 min running at a time w/ a walking segment between.

Those who've already passed that week, how was it? Any tips for going from 8 to 20 without collapsing? Keep in mind that 8 min at a time is the longest I've run in my life!

It seems super scary and sort of impossible, but somehow, it works. Just keep following the program religiously and trust yourself - you'll be surprised at what you're capable of!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:08 am 

monkeytoes wrote:
Little My, I didn't do C25k, per se, but I worked my way up from walking to run/walk to run and 8 to 20 seems like a huge leap, but if your walk segments in between your runs aren't very long, then all you're really doing is filling those small gaps with running. My big leap went from doing a 2.8 mile loop by 6 min running/1 min walking. When I was done I realized that meant that I only walked a total of 6 minutes for the whole thing, and I figured if I could do that, I could probably just run the whole thing, so I did. For me, it was just realizing that I already was running the vast majority. Six minutes was the longest I'd ever run in my life. This was only a couple of months ago and now I'm up to 60 minutes/10k.

Wow that is super helpful, and inspiring that you worked up to 60 min/10k in a couple months.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 755 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 31  Next