| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 4:55 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 715 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 ... 29  Next
 Post subject: Re: Couch to 5K
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:11 am 
Seagull of the PPK

errinerung, that was me a few years ago (grinding knees, and chondromalacia, orthoped surgeon told me a few years ago that it was a miracle my knees had lasted til 30, that was a bad doctor visit.... ) and now it is totally gone. i'd say see if you can find someone to help you look critically at your stride and your landing. it really, really changed my running experience. all those years i ran in high school and college i was landing on my heel and really hurting my knees. landing midfoot with your leg a little flexed makes it totally different. i'm not big on the chi running but running relaxed, very tall and straight, with the midfoot landing is so amazing. trying it on a treadmill with a small elevation, if you have access to it, makes it a lot easier to figure out in the beginning.
How are you doing with cold, BTW? it's cold as balls here and i'm getting sore from the weather, and I HATE to run outside. especially if it's cold.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:56 am 
Huffs Nooch

baps wrote:
Did it! :) Me, my boss and her 8 week old baby (in a pushchair!). It was raining and i'm covered in mud but it was fun.

Baps, I'll bet you had fun. It's unusually hot and humid here and the idea of running in the rain sounds delicious.

I woke up at 4 am, so I had some synthroid, waited, ate some toast and coffee, waited, then hopped on the treadmill (W7, D2). Damn, but I was slow. I thought I might be a bit faster, running when it was cool, but I think my body thought, "Bugger this, I'm not running on a lousy piece of toast."

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:59 am 
Ninja Master

Yeah it wasn't so bad. The mud was a bit dodge but thankfully I didn't fall over. Hopefully tomorrow the weather will be like it has been today - pretty dry.

Make up blog: http://love-lipstick.blogspot.com
Food blog: http://alienontoast.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:26 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

torque wrote:
trying it on a treadmill with a small elevation, if you have access to it, makes it a lot easier to figure out in the beginning.
How are you doing with cold, BTW? it's cold as balls here and i'm getting sore from the weather, and I HATE to run outside. especially if it's cold.

I've been running on a treadmill, so I'll try with a slight incline tonight and see how I go! It's so cold here, so I've been going to the gym at Boyfriend's office after work (we work for the same place, but in different offices- mine doesn't have a gym but I can use his since I'm still an employee). There are a ton of really nice paths around our house for bikes and running, but they're all off the streets and its pitch black there by the time I get home. I can't wait for the end of winter, more for sunlight than anything!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 4:44 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

Yay, you're all hanging in there!! Hi! I hope your knees feel better Erinnerung.

I DID do all my week 2 runs while I was on vacation. I got a crappy summer cold right when I got back from vacation, plus I was exhausted from the travel, swamped with needing to get groceries, clean, cook, laundry, etc., all the stuff I didn't get to do because I was away, so I didn't end up doing any running last week.

I sucked it up and started week 3 this week! I told myself "If I can't do it I'll just go back to week 2." My rule is, if I have to *skip* a run segment, I'm not ready for that week and go back to the previous.

I DID IT! Monday morning I did Week 3 Run 1 - I stopped the final 3 min run early, but it turned out to be only about 10 seconds early. This one goes from your 3min walk to the 5min cool down walk; I wanted to do an extra 5min of walking on both ends of the C25K workout, so I did an extra 60s run during the "cool down" then considered my extra 5min as actual cool down. I was pretty pumped. This morning I did W3R2. I had to slow down for the last minute of the second 3min run but I did it. I also went faster (not much, but 4.3mph instead of 4mph) for my first 90sec run. I did an extra 10min walking (5min on each end) plus an extra 60sec run again this time, I'm liking including that. YAAAAAAAAAY.

Run 3 will be Saturday morning; I think even if the 3min run is still not "easy" I'm going to try for Week 4 next week anyway. If it's too hard I can always come back to Week 3.

I need to get on a schedule of something for the in between days, maybe couch-to-100-pushups, or Wii fit or something, it's just TOO DARN HOT to do anything in my apartment right now... Now I am actually getting antsy that I want to run EVERY DAY EVERY DAY EVERY DAY RUN RIGHT NOWWWWW EVEN AHHHHHHHHHH.

Also, I probably need to calm down. ;)

I love those delusional first few minutes of the day where I grossly underestimate my love of sleep. -lurky mclurkerson

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:57 pm 
Huffs Nooch

Great work, Mack! I admire your dedication, running on your vacation. And that's great you were able to continue on to Week 3. Outstanding!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:18 am 
Ninja Master

Mack the Spork wrote:
Run 3 will be Saturday morning; I think even if the 3min run is still not "easy" I'm going to try for Week 4 next week anyway. If it's too hard I can always come back to Week 3.

This is how I approached it last time too. I thought if I'm struggling anytime I will repeat a week. I ended up not repeating a week, except once near the end when I was ill and took a week off. It's amazing what your body can do when you don't think it can!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 8:07 am 
Aired her grievances, lost the feat of strength

baps wrote:
Mack the Spork wrote:

This is how I approached it last time too. I thought if I'm struggling anytime I will repeat a week. I ended up not repeating a week, except once near the end when I was ill and took a week off. It's amazing what your body can do when you don't think it can!

I've been repeating days here and there but not as often as I thought I'd have to!

I just did W5D2 & found the 6 min runs pretty challenging, I'm a bit scared of trying to run for 9 minutes on Monday, it seems like quite a big jump!

Not-For-Profit Cupcakes: Operation Icing.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 6:57 pm 
Ninja Master

You can do it!! :-)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 7:06 pm 

baps wrote:
You can do it!! :-)

Thanks buddy! And if I can't I'll just keep trying until I can!!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 7:49 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

That old man was back and running next to me again on Friday, and his walking speed is faster than my run. I need to figure out his schedule so I don't keep seeing him there. But! I finished week two, and I ran for three minutes instead of 90 seconds on the last run just to see if I could. It wasn't easy, but it was also after five 90-second runs before it, so I was pretty tired. Starting week 3 tomorrow and I think it'll be fun!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 12:54 pm 
Huffs Nooch

Great work Erinnerung! It's too bad you're not working out on the treadmill next to me because my own walking speed is faster than my run!

However, I did finish Week 8, Day 1 this morning: 28 minutes of running! I know I'm slow, but . . . wow! When I think back to Week 1 when it was a real effort to complete eight 60 second runs, I'm just amazed. Once I complete Week 9, I'll start to focus on increasing my speed, but in the meantime . . . 28 freaking minutes!

We are all pretty damned awesome.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:09 am 
Huffs Nooch

Couldn't sleep, got up at 4 am and decided to do W8, D2. After the first 10 minutes (where I'm stiff and clunky), I began to feel really energized and kept tapping up the speed. I finished the 28 min run with my fastest average pace so far in the C25K. Sometimes insomnia doesn't suck!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:24 pm 
Fair trade, organic mistletoe

I just did W4 D1. I thought, heading out, that it was a pretty big jump from week 3, but I did it easy-peesy and even ran for another minute or so at the end just cause. Yay!

"But really, anyone willing to dangle their baby in front of a crocodile is A-OK in my book."~SSD

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:28 am 
Ninja Master

Just done W2D2. I felt fine with it, but I'm getting increasingly annoyed running with my boss. She keeps on going to the gym or walking 3 miles in the morning before we go. I come in early to run before work and she's knackered already and saying 'we'll have to make this quick, [baby] needs a feed', the baby's been in the pushchair for 4 hours and needs a feed and then she brings the pushchair and the baby cries for the whole of the run. Ugh. To be honest though I'm not expecting her to do more than a few weeks, she never sticks at anything.

One good thing is it pushed me to run faster so I didn't have to listen to the kid. I'm glad I'm off work Friday and I can run alone.

Sorry /rant.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 6:54 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I did week three, day two yesterday and it was my best run of the whole program so far! I felt really good the whole time, and usually I get a side stitch at some point while running but I didn't at all this time. I've set the treadmill on a slight incline and I can totally feel that it makes me run differently too- which has helped my knees, yay!

I'm traveling for a few days from tomorrow but I've packed my running shoes. No treadmill but we'll be on the coast where the weather is nicer so it looks like I'll have my first outdoor run. I'm not sure whether I'll find it harder or easier without a clock in front of me.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 7:08 am 
Ninja Master

I think it goes quicker when you're not clock-watching. But it is definitely harder running outside than on a treadmill IMO.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:04 am 

baps wrote:
I think it goes quicker when you're not clock-watching. But it is definitely harder running outside than on a treadmill IMO.

I think that's definitely true, I'm finding it so much more fun now that I put a towel over the time/distance/calories bits of the treadmill display & just concentrate on the music & voice cues. I also find that changing my playlist every week's super important, new music makes everything more fun.

I did W5 D3 today, I tried on Monday & could only do 8 mins of the 9 min run but today I did the whole thing without even getting a stitch & I even upped my speed & added in a 1 min sprint at 9km/h during the cooldown!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:08 am 
Ninja Master

Yeah I have to change my playlist too, knowing what's next and how many songs there are, is as bad as clock watching!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:13 am 

baps wrote:
Yeah I have to change my playlist too, knowing what's next and how many songs there are, is as bad as clock watching!

Yep, when I realise that I pretty much know exactly how long each song is it's time for a change. I added both Dragonforce & S Club 7 to the playlist today!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:56 am 
Ninja Master

S Club 7? Good work!

I like running to I'm Too Sexy. It makes me chucke as I'm totally unsexy when I run.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:04 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

I have to eventually make a new playlist. I'm going to combine my favorite songs from all of Carli's (Running Into Shape .com) plus a few of my own, when I get to the "all running no walking" stage. I do like her podcasts because a lot of the songs are just kinda familiar to me, not super familiar (I barely listen to the radio for the past 20 years so I don't know any "trendy" stuff really). But once I get familiar it makes it harder! "Oh no, this song's just starting??" haha.

Plus then I can pull out the occasional dud. "Milkshake" is TOO SLOW for a running song. Sorry, but it is!

I never went to the gym on Saturday, and for no apparent reason I stayed up really late Sunday night so I didn't go Monday either. I was so cranky Mon-Tues w/out my running!! Went this morning and did technically my third week 3 run, but I'm going to do a fourth Friday and start week 4 next week.

This time I got through the 3min runs better! Not easy still but much better than last week. I ran a little faster, and didn't need to slow down as much/often also. Yay!

I love those delusional first few minutes of the day where I grossly underestimate my love of sleep. -lurky mclurkerson

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:37 am 
Huffs Nooch

Whew, W8 D3 completed -- a 28 minute run, again! I'm stoked to start my last program week on Sunday.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 3:59 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

YAY, fenice! there was one podcast where they took that last run and lined it up with NASA takeoff and landing audio.... don't remember which one but it was AWESOME and it made my last run super happy.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 2:50 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

Wow, fenice! Congrats!! Almost done!!

I'll see you there in, uh... 6 weeks. Ha.

Wow, I just looked ahead... If I don't skip or repeat any more weeks, I'll be done by mid-September. That seems impossible to me, but then I remember that when I started it was hard to run 60s at a time, and now I run 3min at a time, so. WOW.

Yay! I did my week 3 day 4 run (extra!) today, and I ran faster for my first few runs! My last 3min run I skipped about 30 seconds of, but I did a couple extra 60 and 90s runs during my extra warm up walk and my extra cool down walk. Plus I mostly run at 4.0mph (3.8 when I don't think I'm gonna make it through a segment; 4.3 for my "fast" runs this morning); today at the end I did a 5.0mph run! Only 60s, but that's WAY faster than I have run, like, ever in my LIFE. So. Exciting!

I'm scared/interested to see how week 4 goes. 5min! GULP!

OH also - today for the first time ever I had someone on an adjacent treadmill (even though there were 900000 open treadmills....?). My first thought: wow, these treadmills are REALLY CLOSE TOGETHER, I never realized. Second thought: You'll regret it. (I am a fidgety, panting/coughing, SMELLY runner. Sorry lady! Your funeral! Next time leave a buffer 'mill.)

Reply to topic  [ 715 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 ... 29  Next