| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 3:26 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 772 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23 ... 31  Next
 Post subject: Re: Couch to 5K
PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 6:34 am 
Seagull of the PPK

i gotcha, i am not super cool with people forking about with my feet [acupuncturist excepted, but pedicure is just not even a possibility. ticklish, weird, no.]. i need to go do the same thing when i go up north in a few months [get decent shoes fit, i've never done it!] and i can only imagine what they'll have to say about my posture/form/etc. luckily i'm turning into a grumpy old lady and don't give a crepe.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 5:04 pm 
Asked Santa for a pony

I misunderstood a command given on my C25K app today and wound up running for 13 minutes straight instead of my usual 10! I think that may have been the longest I have ever continuously run in my entire life? Is that too pathetic to be true?

Now the next workout is going to be super easy!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 8:30 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

So I've just downloaded the app and gone for my first run (just a free run, 1km - I'm testing the waters and seeing if my shin splints are going to give me trouble before I commit to starting the program properly) and I have a really really dumb question: after I finish a run, how do I end it and go back to the home screen (short of hitting 'abort' and deleting the data)? I'm using the Android version, 'RunDouble'.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 12:01 am 
Angrily Posting on Facebook

Nebraskalaska wrote:
I misunderstood a command given on my C25K app today and wound up running for 13 minutes straight instead of my usual 10! I think that may have been the longest I have ever continuously run in my entire life? Is that too pathetic to be true?

Now the next workout is going to be super easy!

That's great, and not pathetic at all! I never even imagined I'd be able to run for 5 minutes before I started C25K. I cried a little when I finished the first 5 minute run. No shame!

I'm really forking irritated because I keep getting so close to the end of the program, and then I keep crapping out, regressing, and having to backtrack. I'm totally motivated, but my feet have not been cooperating at all. I walked about 3 miles in my new shoes tonight, and they didn't feel fabulous. I wanted to have some revelation and suddenly not feel any pain anymore, but it didn't happen. I know I just need more time, but it's frustrating. AND I'm really stressing about my 5K tomorrow morning, which I absolutely do not want to do. If I were doing it alone and could go at my own pace, I'd be cool with just walking it. But the co-worker I'm going with wants to be *right beside me* the whole time. I told him to just run the forking thing and meet me at the finish line (please!!!), but he wants to do it together. Plus he invited a bunch of other people, so now I'm stuck doing this thing with people I don't know or give a crepe about, like his girlfriend's parents. Yeah, fun. Are they all going to hobble alongside side me?! I seriously hope not. I'm feeling really self-conscious about the whole thing and now I just want to stay home.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:11 am 
Seagull of the PPK

i know you're probably off doing it, i hope it goes great. i am totally self conscious and still haven't done a race while my friend who started at the same time as me is off doing half-marathons now. one day i will. hope you kicked some asparagus.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 3:07 pm 

Well, it's done! I ran about 40% of it and finished in 40 minutes. I probably could have run more of it, but I didn't want to push too hard. I just barely beat my boss's wife, who was running with a stroller. Haha. The other guy who had insisted on running next to me was really quick to ditch me, which was good.

I don't know if I liked it, honestly. It was kind of a cool experience, but running for me is... really personal? I'm not sure I liked running with the pack. I think I started off too fast because I was trying to keep up with everyone, when really I should have just jogged at my usual (very, very slow) pace.

My feet feel mostly okay, which is all I really care about. Just a little sore. And I got a forking blister from my shoes, ugh.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 4:13 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

you survived!!!! you finished!!! congratulations!

go soak your feet!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 4:16 pm 

Thank you!!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:19 pm 
Asked Santa for a pony

Way to go, Ashley!

I start week 3 today! This is the furthest I've ever made it in C25K. The workouts look way more interesting this week, and I'm super excited to give it a try.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:18 pm 

Awesome! The first couple weeks are definitely the worst. I found the short intervals kind of frustrating, and actually a lot harder than running straight through.

I'm sloooowly getting back into running. I'm really going to try to get back on my every other day schedule. I forced myself out this afternoon and only managed 20 minutes jogging before I got tired and my iPod died, but it was better than nothing. I'm hoping to slowly work my way back to where I was.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 4:30 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

I'm kind of following this program, but I want to see how long I can run first. I was shocked by how much I managed! I mostly ran all of two miles (albeit about a mile of it mostly downhill, and another half mile flat-ish. But I ran all the way up my hill!) and now I'm exhausted, but it's worth it. Today is my last day of eating processed foods...eep.

The Oxford Imposition: http://theoxfordimposition.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:19 pm 

Missdelaney, I need to follow your lead and kick processed foods. The crepe I ate today is kind of embarrassing.

I switched to the treadmill today (too flipping hot outside!!) and ran 5K straight in 40 minutes. I'm slow, obviously, but I did it easily. I've never been able to do that outside!! I knew it would probably be easier than running outdoors, but I'm surprised by how much easier. Weird! I set it at a 1% incline. My neighborhood is pretty flat, so that seemed about right. No idea, really.

The best part is, NO FOOT PAIN! AT ALL! Yay.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:39 am 
Seagull of the PPK

that's why i still stay in a gym to run- the impact is so much less. i find it kind of nice, and then i don't have to worry about sun either.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:54 am 
Ninja Master

I prefer treadmill running too. I tried running outside a couple of times the last time I did this programme and I didn't like it!

I haven't stuck to it again, but I'm going to the gym tonight. I'm not going to start at week 1 though because I don't feel I need to. Maybe I'll try week 3 and see how I get on.

Make up blog: http://love-lipstick.blogspot.com
Food blog: http://alienontoast.blogspot.com
FB Page for both blogs: http://www.facebook.com/lipstickontoast

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:04 am 

The treadmill was definitely easier on my body. Even my breathing was steadier. I think I'm sticking with it. Stopping by the gym on my way home from work allows me to miss rush hour traffic anyway, so that's a good thing.

Running outside makes me feel like I'm beating myself up. It's really nice being out in the world, but the gym isn't so bad considering the benefits.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:51 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

ashley wrote:
Missdelaney, I need to follow your lead and kick processed foods. The crepe I ate today is kind of embarrassing.

That's how I've felt recently! But oh, man, the last few days I've felt GREAT. Running and only eating good foods? Man. I had no idea how energetic I could be.

The Oxford Imposition: http://theoxfordimposition.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:33 am 
Ninja Master

Did w3d1 yesterday. I am sooo unfit, I was struggling to run the 3 minutes. How the hell did I ever run for 40 minutes! I am glad though that I have completed this before as I know it means I can do it.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:24 am 
Seagull of the PPK

you can do it again!! you're right, the good thing about this program is always thinking "well, i did it once, i can do it again." kick its butt!!!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:26 am 
Ninja Master

I just forget how tough the first few weeks are, last time it was a bit overwhelming. But also, I found last time that I didn't struggle as much in the later weeks as I did in the first 4 or 5, once I worked out how to breathe! haha

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 3:05 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

ashley wrote:
I switched to the treadmill today (too flipping hot outside!!) and ran 5K straight in 40 minutes. I'm slow, obviously, but I did it easily.

I think this is awesome! I'm yet to get to running the full 5k, but I've figured out that at my usual pace it would take me 40 minutes, too. I have short legs! (And short everything else.)

I'm not really doing C25K anymore, but kind of following the general gist of the last couple of weeks. I try to run for about 20 minutes, adding a little bit more whenever I feel like I can. I'll get there one day, but there's no rush. The only downside is that the treadmills at my gym time out after 20 minutes and you have to reset them. And I'm super disinclined to start running again when I've just run for 20 minutes. But it's getting too cold and too dark to run outside, so I just need to deal with it.

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 11:58 pm 
Asked Santa for a pony

I went for 15 minutes straight today! I even felt like I could have kept going. This is the farthest I've ever made it in C25K.

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 3:44 am 
Ninja Master

Nebraskalaska wrote:
I went for 15 minutes straight today! I even felt like I could have kept going. This is the farthest I've ever made it in C25K.

YAY!! Congrats.

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 1:57 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I'm starting on week two tomorrow! I haven't been exercising for years, but lately I've been having really bad knee problems and I know it's because I need to build muscle to support my knees.
I went running three times in the past week and DAMN it felt good. I forgot how relaxing and energizing running can be! I think now is the perfect time to begin again; I have some pretty stressful exams ahead of me, and I need a good way to make sure I spend at least an hour every day just being me and not worrying about what I SHOULD be doing.
I am really excited about getting to 5K again - last time I did C25K I ended up running 5K three times a week for a year! I totally want to get back to that.

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 6:59 am 
Hearts James Cromwell

I went as far as W6D3 then parental leave hit me and I stoped running. I've tried twice latly but I'm back into W5 to make it now. Sucks after all the hard work

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 12:14 pm 
Asked Santa for a pony

I'm halfway!!! I start week 5 today!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 772 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23 ... 31  Next