| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 8:51 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 798 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26 ... 32  Next
 Post subject: Re: Couch to 5K
PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 5:59 am 
Seagull of the PPK

awesome news aelle! i loved your pic the other day. have told my mom about Orion and your adventures and it was nice to say "aaaaah! look, here she is!"

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:46 am 
Level 7 Vegan

Aww torque! How sweet of you to talk about me to your mom.
Your podcast recommendations for this program were so helpful! I am loving Chubby Jones.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:57 am 
Impressive boner

I couldn't find a podcast with music I liked so I made my own in Garageband out of Japanese punk music - Stance Punks, Lolita No 18 and Kishida Kyoudan and The Akeboshi Rockets - with beeps whenever I've to start or stop running. I'm going to start as soon as I've got out of this energyless funk.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 3:19 pm 
Dead by dawn

aelle wrote:
W5d2 this morning, it went very well. Then I biked hard to work - 5km in under 15 minutes on my roadster, including red lights and other obstacles. Woot woot! Wally wants to go swimming tonight. We'll see about that!!

Reflecting on my original goal, mitigating winter depression: it is going very well. Cautiously optimistic, but if this trend maintains I am going to have a great winter. I am all smiles when I finish my runs and I sleep better (I think). I also eat better and have no problem limiting my alcohol consumption (something that worried me last winter) as I've noticed drinking the night before a run makes the run suck!

Running, cycling and swimming on the same day? Watch out, you might accidentally become a triathlete. :P

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:20 am 
Level 7 Vegan

Well, that is the not-so-secret dream... I am nowhere near ready to even start training for a sprint - my swimming sucks and my bike is a joke for anything else than commuting. But for now I am putting in the kilometers and slowly increasing them. We'll see if I can stick with it during the winter first!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:56 am 
Impressive boner

Week one, day one was interesting. I was the only one running but I struggled for most of it and didn't complete all of the running. I'll do more next time. The music choices were good, kept a good pace.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:41 am 
Seagull of the PPK

keep trying! i can still remember the first ones i did when i was like "yeah right!!" i started with some podcast, i can't remember which, that was really helpful that way-- like when in doubt, slow down, very motivating. always reinforced that it might take you 3x to be able to do the challenge of that workout.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:13 am 
Level 7 Vegan

Keep going at it, 8ball! You might be surprised by how much difference you can see in a single week.

W5d3 - ran the full 20 minutes :)))))
I kept giggling during my 5 min cool down. I did it!!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 2:43 am 
Level 7 Vegan

So, I had a little bit of a realization this week. If you guys read Kate Harding, you know how she talks about the "fantasy of being thin"? How if you are fat, you picture thin people as being radically different from you, as better, happier, mentally stronger etc. So you delay making brave choices like wearing a bikini or leaving a bad relationship until you lose weight, because surely it will be easy then. (I think that's the article I'm thinking of - I can't check it at work : http://kateharding.net/2007/11/27/the-f ... eing-thin/‎ )

Well, I think I had the same thought pattern applying to the fantasy of being athletic. I had never ran 20 minutes in a row until today, and certainly never enjoyed trying (in middle school we had to practice cross-country running... my "running" speed was under my walking speed.) And so I projected all sorts of qualities on people who could.
But I am not a different person than I was 6 weeks ago. The only difference between me who was out of breath after 90 seconds during week 1, and me now who can run 20 minutes straight and laughs out loud when she is done, is that I showed up to run 3 times a week for 6 weeks. That is really the only change.

I feel like I was just freed of all sorts of expectations here. I can also stop using that fantasy to justify quitting - running is not going to automatically turn me into anything I don't want to become. It also means that if I do quit, it won't be a failure of character, it will just be that I stopped showing up on the trail. And I can start over (or start another athletic goal) any time.

It was really well timed of the program to have that 20 minute block at this time. It really helps you realize how much progress you have acomplished and lift that mental block.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 3:31 am 
Ninja Master

Wooh wooh go Aelle!!

Make up blog: http://love-lipstick.blogspot.com
Food blog: http://alienontoast.blogspot.com
FB Page for both blogs: http://www.facebook.com/lipstickontoast

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 1:23 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

Week one, day one! I need new earplugs and some thermal underwear, but the run was surprisingly easy. I used the Chubby Jones podcast, version 3, liked it very much.

And my neighbour complimented my butt, which was fun.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 2:15 pm 

aelle wrote:
So, I had a little bit of a realization this week. If you guys read Kate Harding, you know how she talks about the "fantasy of being thin"? How if you are fat, you picture thin people as being radically different from you, as better, happier, mentally stronger etc. So you delay making brave choices like wearing a bikini or leaving a bad relationship until you lose weight, because surely it will be easy then. (I think that's the article I'm thinking of - I can't check it at work : http://kateharding.net/2007/11/27/the-f ... eing-thin/‎ )

Well, I think I had the same thought pattern applying to the fantasy of being athletic. I had never ran 20 minutes in a row until today, and certainly never enjoyed trying (in middle school we had to practice cross-country running... my "running" speed was under my walking speed.) And so I projected all sorts of qualities on people who could.
But I am not a different person than I was 6 weeks ago. The only difference between me who was out of breath after 90 seconds during week 1, and me now who can run 20 minutes straight and laughs out loud when she is done, is that I showed up to run 3 times a week for 6 weeks. That is really the only change.

I feel like I was just freed of all sorts of expectations here. I can also stop using that fantasy to justify quitting - running is not going to automatically turn me into anything I don't want to become. It also means that if I do quit, it won't be a failure of character, it will just be that I stopped showing up on the trail. And I can start over (or start another athletic goal) any time.

It was really well timed of the program to have that 20 minute block at this time. It really helps you realize how much progress you have acomplished and lift that mental block.

Wow, now I'm thinking of my own fantasy of being athletic...

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:39 pm 
Has Isa on speed dial

Started on week 1, day 1 yesterday.

It's a pretty big deal for me to start running at all, since I've been recovering from chronic fatigue syndrome for years and really am starting from being basically sedentary.

I did it though! Every full 60 seconds of jogging. It was definitely a work out, but it was also quite...fun! I really enjoyed running around outside. I'm looking forward to seeing how I progress. I can't even imagine jogging for half an hour nonstop.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:41 pm 

Good work, illogicalthings! 8-ball, have you been able to go out again? How did it go?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 12:06 am 
Level 7 Vegan

Good job illogicalthings and ammonik! Keep going!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 4:55 am 
Level 7 Vegan

Monday was a total FAIL. I got behind on my laundry schedule and my sports bra (yeah, I only have the one) was not dry yet. I tried to run in a regular bra, but 2 minutes in my boobs were like, lol did you think you were a B-cup or something? (I am a metric 85E on lean days, and this is a week of plenty). So I walked for 30 minutes instead.

Today was good! But lesson learned: I need at least one backup bra.

How is everyone else doing? Baps, are you feeling better?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:17 am 
Seagull of the PPK

ha, when i got back to the US the first purchase I made was 5 bras. The day after I arrived. Finally I now have 3 running bras. oh luxury.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 1:37 pm 

It actually felt kind of weird to admit to myself that I don't need a running bra. I don't miss usling them, I used to have the hardest time getting those things off!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 2:18 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

oh, i know you do it outside, but on days when my "good" bra was out of commission, i used to use the elliptical or bicycle in the gym instead.
amonik, wish i could say the same!!!!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:58 pm 
Has Isa on speed dial

Thanks ammonik and aelle :)

Weird, I forgot my sports bra last night too. I'd left it at my other place, so I improvised and layered an old bra over the one I was already wearing. I'm pretty sure it actually supported me more than my expensive running bra, but damn my shoulders hurt by the end of my run.

Speaking of which, w1d2 went well. The running intervals felt as hard as last time, but the time seemed to go by quicker and I wasn't as wiped out at the end of it.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 2:41 pm 

Week one, day two. I ran a little faster, so it was harder than last time. I got some long polyester underwear the other day, it was great to wear that instead of a cotton t-shirt.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 1:29 am 
Level 7 Vegan

W6d2 today (since I didn't run Monday) and it was such a happy run! I had treats in my pocket so Orion was all excited and running well, I felt so good and kept giggling. I thought to myself I probably looked like a dork, but didn't care. Then I come home and Wally pointed out that I had been wearing my running pants inside out.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 5:38 am 
Level 7 Vegan

Woah - I just realized that from now on I am done with intervals, it's just straight up running and increasing all the way to 5k. Holy crepe!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 9:15 pm 
Has Isa on speed dial

Woo, go Aelle! I can't imagine that I could be at that point in a little over a month. It seems so far away!

I completed week 1 yesterday, and I can't believe how easy day 3 felt. To an outside observer it probably looks like I've made very little progress, but the difference in how fit I've felt between day 1 and day 3 is pretty astounding. I'm actually looking forward to increasing my intervals.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 4:09 am 
Level 7 Vegan

illogicalthings wrote:
Woo, go Aelle! I can't imagine that I could be at that point in a little over a month. It seems so far away!

I know, right? I had the same feeling, and may actually have posted the exact same thing in this thread a month ago! But you will make it if you keep showing up for your runs!

It is such an awesome feeling to notice your body progress workout after workout. I also started seeing a difference in my legs' appearance much earlier than I expected. I am not doing this for weight loss or aesthetics at all so that was a surprise!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 798 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26 ... 32  Next