| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 6:20 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 772 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28 ... 31  Next
 Post subject: Re: Couch to 5K
PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:29 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

Well it's the 5k trainer that I have - the regular zombies, run is a bit different, I think.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 2:24 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

So I started the Couch to 5k program on Monday, so I have done one run/walk thing and am planning on doing another today even though my thighs are super sore from both that and yoga yesterday and my legs were already super sore on Monday from the yoga class I went to before that...but at some point with this exercising thing not everything will make me sore, right? That's a thing?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 2:54 am 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

Yes, it will get better. At least it does for me.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 12:33 pm 
Fair trade, organic mistletoe

Just started C25K again and feel so good! I tried to do it in May-ish and was definitely not recovered from my Christmastime surgery--I think I sort of believed running would be that hard forevermore. Not so! I feel awesome today.

"But really, anyone willing to dangle their baby in front of a crocodile is A-OK in my book."~SSD

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:40 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

I'm back! I took a couple of weeks off due to a laryngitis turned bronchitis. Last interval I did was w7d1 (25 minutes). Today I went back out there and ran for 20 minutes! I was slow and my chest hurt a bit, but my heart and legs were hanging in there. I hope this means I can restart pretty much where I left off.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 11:27 am 

Now I have sinusitis. I'm getting better, but slowly. The good thing is I'm still thinking about running a lot, and am quite enthusiastic to get back out there. The bad thing is it's perfectly normal for sinusitis to hang around for about three weeks.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 12:28 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I just did w1d1! I've been in a funk, I'm PMSing, I had a headache, but I did it anyway. We had a rare burst of sunshine today, so I forced myself out of the house. My app finally worked and I grabbed an 80s playlist from spotify. I did the running parts very slowly, but I made it through without feeling too terrible.

Only thing that sucks for me when running aside from all the usual stuff that can suck about it, is that I always get a soreness and tightness under my right shoulder. Always without fail! It can be really uncomfortable and it lingers for days. I try to keep my arms loose, but it still happens. Any idea how to deal with it?

Tomorrow morning I'm going to do the 7 minute workout with my bf. I will obviously be doing modifications since I can't do a push up, but I'm hoping to find a rhythm with fitness.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 2:25 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

I'm done with week 1, yeah! And I'm eating cake for breakfast to celebrate. I think not tying my exercise goal to a goal of general weight loss is really helping my motivation, usually I want to do everything healthy all at once and then I give up and then eat tater tots sitting on my couch forever. So I'll just eat cake every time I run.*

*Probably not really, that last slice of cake on my counter did seem like a great breakfast, though.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 2:32 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I do the same thing, strawberryrock! I can already feel myself wanting to go that way, but I'm resisting and trying to start small.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 3:36 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

I don't know if it's the cold or the 2 week break or the combo, but holy cow are my legs stiff. It doesn't feel like regular muscle soreness, it happens immediately after the run, as soon as I start my cooldown walk. Did anyone else experience that?

j-dub wrote:
Just started C25K again and feel so good! I tried to do it in May-ish and was definitely not recovered from my Christmastime surgery--I think I sort of believed running would be that hard forevermore. Not so! I feel awesome today.

Congrats on a new health and recovery milestone! Are you still lifting too? How are the 2 meshing together? I'll be reaching 30 min of running in a week or two, and I am thinking of keeping the running at a plateau and add lifting, now that the eczema on my hands has healed. Any advice?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 5:22 am 
Has Isa on speed dial

I'm still here. :) I'm one week into my end of year exams at the moment, but I still managed to complete week 3 tonight. It was a really easy run, so the extended gaps between workouts don't seem to be hurting my stamina.

j-dub wrote:

That's awesome, J-dub!

pickledtreats wrote:
I just did w1d1! I've been in a funk, I'm PMSing, I had a headache, but I did it anyway. We had a rare burst of sunshine today, so I forced myself out of the house. My app finally worked and I grabbed an 80s playlist from spotify. I did the running parts very slowly, but I made it through without feeling too terrible.

The first step is always the hardest. ESPECIALLY while PMSing. Go you!

strawberryrock wrote:
I'm done with week 1, yeah! And I'm eating cake for breakfast to celebrate. I think not tying my exercise goal to a goal of general weight loss is really helping my motivation, usually I want to do everything healthy all at once and then I give up and then eat tater tots sitting on my couch forever. So I'll just eat cake every time I run.*

*Probably not really, that last slice of cake on my counter did seem like a great breakfast, though.

Congrats! I found week one the hardest to get through by far. And I'm right there with you on separating weight and fitness goals for the sake of my own sanity. You eat that cake. You deserve it. :)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:08 am 

aelle wrote:
I don't know if it's the cold or the 2 week break or the combo, but holy cow are my legs stiff. It doesn't feel like regular muscle soreness, it happens immediately after the run, as soon as I start my cooldown walk. Did anyone else experience that?

j-dub wrote:

Congrats on a new health and recovery milestone! Are you still lifting too? How are the 2 meshing together? I'll be reaching 30 min of running in a week or two, and I am thinking of keeping the running at a plateau and add lifting, now that the eczema on my hands has healed. Any advice?

Thank you! I am still lifting but have been a bit spotty about it because of funny hours (it's only open 6-9pm) and crappy weather, but my plan is to run three times a week and lift 2-3 times. I've definitely noticed that squatting impacts my endurance negatively--even with biking. It's like I have more power but for less time.

I guess my advice is to figure out which one is more important for you to see gains in and to treat the other as crosstraining, because you just can't be making big gains in both things. And I really like the Stronglifts 5x5 program, if you're looking to powerlift.

"But really, anyone willing to dangle their baby in front of a crocodile is A-OK in my book."~SSD

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:13 pm 

Oy. W1D3 was HARD. I'm realizing running off-road isn't actually softer if the god damned ground is frozen!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 5:09 am 
Has Isa on speed dial

Ran for 5 minutes straight for the first time tonight!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 8:55 pm 
Bought KAPOP LOAF

I'm concerned about running when it's below freezing outside. I don't have cold induced asthma, but I feel a distinct wheeze when I'm walking if it's really cold. If I warm up for longer will that help get my lungs used to the temperature before I really start exerting myself? Or should I just consider moving indoors... which would basically mean giving up until spring cause I hate the gym.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:09 pm 

I imagine a longer warm-up would help. Here's a little thing about breathing while running and it talks about breathing in the cold.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:33 pm 
Bought KAPOP LOAF

j-dub wrote:
I imagine a longer warm-up would help. Here's a little thing about breathing while running and it talks about breathing in the cold.

That's good advice, except the cold makes me really congested so I can barely breathe through my nose! Issues, issues...

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 1:27 pm 

There are heat exchanger thingys that you hold in your mouth. I'm going to try one when the mild weather is over.

I came back after my cold and did w1d3 today. I'm going to do week 1 at least one more time.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 2:18 pm 

Did some googling, and apparently there are also several types of masks and balaclavas specifically for breathing better in the cold.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 5:56 am 

I did week one for the fourth time today and I think I'm done with it. Also, the downside to using a podcast by a nice chatty person like Chubby Jones is that once you've heard the talk three times it's less fun.

Today was my first run when it wasn't dark outside and I loved it! I'll definitely try to get in more daytime runs. I run around a pond/lake with lots of birds in it and today I could actually look at them.

I think I'll be able to start week 2 on Tuesday.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 6:33 am 
Has Isa on speed dial

I've hit a bit of a wall on week 4 day 1. I can always run the first 3-min-5-min segment, but after walking for a few minutes my legs just feel like lead when I try to pick them back up and run again. I still run intervals for the second half of the workout, but I cannot manage another 5 minute block yet.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 2:17 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Well, I did that first run last weekend, but it has been raining all week and I kind of forgot to run again. Oops. I did go running today and did w1d2. It felt great and I'm going to go for it this week. I know they suggest a rest day in between, but the weather is so bad this time if year I just need to go when it's not raining. I'm probably going to go again tomorrow since Tuesday looks to be a wash.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:10 pm 
Has Isa on speed dial

I had the worst run this morning. I couldn't run for much more than a minute at a time. :/ I don't feel sick or anything, but I have just finished final exams and went running in the morning instead of my usual late afternoon.

I don't know. I'm trying not to be discouraged. It's not like there's a deadline for finishing this program.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 2:47 am 

Some people need more time to wake up. Also, did you manage to eat enough before your run? But really, some days are just like that, IMO.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 4:44 am 

Week one took four weeks to get through, so it feels a bit unreal to get through week two in just one week!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 772 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28 ... 31  Next