| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 4:38 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 777 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29 ... 32  Next
 Post subject: Re: Couch to 5K
PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 4:18 am 
Level 7 Vegan

For the sake of honesty: I have been really slacking off since I got sick in the first week of November, and have only been running once a week or so since, for 20-ish minutes each time (only on weekends and in daylight). It's just so dark and cold -and did I mention dark?- at 5:45 in the morning. Bleh.

The good thing is that I definitely confirmed the correlation between my level of activity and my seasonal depression. It's very clear. The bad thing is that SAD makes it all the harder to kick my own butt and get out there when all I want to do is cry curled up in a ball under the blankets.

I did go running this morning, and feel better already. Now I'm mad at myself for the loss of progress over the last 3 weeks. Keep me accountable, folks! I really need to be out there 3 times a week for the rest of winter.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 12:49 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

You can do it aelle! I don't like the dark either, I try to run once each weekend so I get to do it in the daylight at least some of the time.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:39 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

I am running my first 5K on Thursday. I am really excited. I haven't been running outside for the last two months very much, so we'll see how this goes. I don't have a time goal, but I do want to run the whole thing. Though when I made my playlist of music I thought of putting a really bad song at the end to motivate me to run fast enough that I don't have to hear it. I ended up not though because I want to end on a good note no matter what. Maybe I'll do that for a future race.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 1:34 am 
Just Loathin' Around!

aelle wrote:
For the sake of honesty: I have been really slacking off since I got sick in the first week of November, and have only been running once a week or so since, for 20-ish minutes each time (only on weekends and in daylight). It's just so dark and cold -and did I mention dark?- at 5:45 in the morning. Bleh.

The good thing is that I definitely confirmed the correlation between my level of activity and my seasonal depression. It's very clear. The bad thing is that SAD makes it all the harder to kick my own butt and get out there when all I want to do is cry curled up in a ball under the blankets.

I did go running this morning, and feel better already. Now I'm mad at myself for the loss of progress over the last 3 weeks. Keep me accountable, folks! I really need to be out there 3 times a week for the rest of winter.

Keep on! Yes you can!

Panda With Cookie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 4:12 am 
Level 7 Vegan

Okay, okay, I'm doing it! 2 for 2 so far this week. Thanks, pals.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 4:36 am 
Ninja Master

Well done Aelle!

I can't motivate myself to get back into it. I also stopped when I was ill, then went away for work then away on holiday and I'm finding it impossible to drag myself out of bed early in the morning to go to the gym before work.

Make up blog: http://love-lipstick.blogspot.com
Food blog: http://alienontoast.blogspot.com
FB Page for both blogs: http://www.facebook.com/lipstickontoast

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 1:25 pm 

Week 3 is done!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:18 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

Week 4 is so much harder than week 3! I've been measuring by distance, not time, and I am having a really hard time running for those two half-mile intervals. It being really cold this week didn't help (and I don't have a running-appropriate jacket, I've just been wearing a hoodie). The first time I did it I stupidly hadn't eaten for 17 hours--I usually have been doing it in the morning before I eat, which is fine, but less fine when morning becomes 11 am--so that was especially bad, but the second time sucked too! Hopefully it will be less miserable soon.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 3:07 pm 

I'm on week 4 too, did day one today. I usually use the Chubby Jones podcasts, but today I tried another one. This workout was all Michael Jackson songs, which was fun!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 12:11 am 
Has Isa on speed dial

I'm still here, sort of! I started slacking after my exams finished, since I'd been using running as a stress reliever and suddenly all of my stress was gone. :p

I'm picking back up, but I'm still running w3d3 every time. I just can't seem to manage the 5 minute jogs in week 4.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 12:21 am 
Fair trade, organic mistletoe

I'm just about to go into week 4, but I'm using a slightly different program than I did before and I like this one a lot more. This w4d1 has a 3 min run and a 2 min walk then two rounds of a 4 min run, 3 min walk, then another 3 min run, 2 min walk. I've found the way this one amps up running time a lot easier than the one I've done in the past. (This one is called 5K Runner.)

"But really, anyone willing to dangle their baby in front of a crocodile is A-OK in my book."~SSD

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 3:45 am 

It's been a month, so it was about time for another cold. Just a mild cough so far. I have a two-year-old who is in daycare, so being well for a month in the middle of winter is not bad, but I'm still bummed. I want to run!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 7:54 am 
Has Isa on speed dial

Stilllll running the w3d3 workout. Granted, I'm only getting out there about two days a week, so that is definitely contributing to my lack of progress. Getting frustrated though.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 4:26 am 

illogicalthings, maybe you should try the one j-dub is doing? Adding one minute must be easier than adding two. Is it your legs or your lungs that can't go for five minutes?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:16 pm 
Has Isa on speed dial

Oh man, J-dub, I meant to thank you for posting about the 5k Runner last week, but I was really tired when I read this thread and immediately forgot all about it. I just downloaded it from the apple store (and silly bonus, it looks prettier than the c25k app). Thanks for reminding me, Amonik.

As for what's stopping me from going 5 minutes...I think it might be mental as much as anything. I mean, I am breathing pretty hard and my legs hurt, but I seem to be stopping just because it feels like so long until that little voice will tell me to start walking. With the three minute intervals, sometimes they're really tough, but I push through them by telling myself 'just a few more seconds, just a few more seconds'. I'm hoping the 4 minute intervals will help me get over this hump.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 7:23 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

illogical, that little voice frigging kills me.
i had to cover the clock on the treadmill. when i was in the park, i would tell the little voice, sure sure, but just til i get to that pole/bench/tree. then when i got to the tree think well, i got this far, awesome, i can do another bit, just to that pole/bench/tree. sounds a lot like what you're doing. telling that little voice yeahyeah, sure, hang on a second.
you can do it!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:10 pm 
Asked Santa for a pony

illogicalthings wrote:
Oh man, J-dub, I meant to thank you for posting about the 5k Runner last week, but I was really tired when I read this thread and immediately forgot all about it. I just downloaded it from the apple store (and silly bonus, it looks prettier than the c25k app). Thanks for reminding me, Amonik.

As for what's stopping me from going 5 minutes...I think it might be mental as much as anything. I mean, I am breathing pretty hard and my legs hurt, but I seem to be stopping just because it feels like so long until that little voice will tell me to start walking. With the three minute intervals, sometimes they're really tough, but I push through them by telling myself 'just a few more seconds, just a few more seconds'. I'm hoping the 4 minute intervals will help me get over this hump.

Could you been going too fast? A general rule is that at a comfortable pace you should be able to have a conversation.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 1:00 am 
Has Isa on speed dial

Nebraskalaska wrote:
Could you been going too fast? A general rule is that at a comfortable pace you should be able to have a conversation.

Hm...I don't know. I definitely couldn't carry on a conversation after about a minute of running, which sounds terrible now that I think about it. But I average about 6.30min/km, and if I went much slower I feel like I'd just be doing a very inefficient speedwalk. ;)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 1:15 am 
Asked Santa for a pony

That's not terrible! Everyone is different and will take a different amount of time to build up more leg muscles and lung capacity. Don't get discouraged!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 1:55 am 
Has Isa on speed dial

Thank you. :) I'm keeping at it.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 4:31 am 
Has Isa on speed dial

You guys, I am so effing happy! Actual progress has happened!

It was raining yesterday so I jumped on the treadmill for the first time in at least a year. I suspected that the treadmill would be easier than running outdoors, so I set myself the goal of running 5 mins non-stop (I'd barely managed 4 mins, once, outdoors). I ran for 20 mins straight and basically stopped when I got bored. 0.0

Maybe that boosted my confidence, or helped me find my form, or something; because today I managed to run w4d1 properly for the first time, and it felt easy.

I was so close to just giving up and assuming I couldn't get better. I'm sure I would have if you guys hadn't offered encouragement and advice. So thanks again. ^.^

(Ps. Ugh, can you imagine the amount of excited babbling I'll post here when I actually complete the program? Haha)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 3:15 am 
Has Isa on speed dial

Smashed w4d2 today. That's not one 5min interval, but two in a row. :)

Note to self, however: don't drink coffee on an empty stomach right before a run. Ugh.

Is everyone else still plugging away at the program?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 3:50 am 
Level 7 Vegan

Awesome, Illogicalthings! So happy you got a breakthrough like that.

As for me, I finished, sort of? I followed the program religiously for the first 6 weeks, then I had a few on and off weeks (due to illness, SAD and a rolled ankle). Interestingly, the break seemed to be what I needed mentally to go from "I can't run, what am I doing, I need someone to hold my hand!" to "let's go out and run and not stop - that's what we do". Now I just run 5k 3 mornings a week. Kept it up throughout my Christmas holiday, in much nicer weather too!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:00 am 

I ran today for the first time in four weeks (had a cold). Before the break I had done w4d2, now I went back and repeated week 3. I would definitely not have managed more than three minutes today! I'm not sure if I should do another week 3 run next time, or start on week 4 again. It was a bit of a bummer to feel how much I've lost by being away, but I felt great after running today!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:38 am 
Has Isa on speed dial

That's awesome, Aelle! As far as I see it, you definitely finished - the whole point is to become a regular 5k runner, whether or not you did the last few weeks of the program religiously. You should be super proud. :)

Amonik: Interesting that we both started at the same time and both ran into trouble in week 4. Except I didn't have the excuse of being sick. ;) You're doing great!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 777 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29 ... 32  Next