| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:26 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 777 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32  Next
 Post subject: Re: Couch to 5K
PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 8:43 am 
Ninja Master

So I had to stop a couple of months ago when I hurt my ankle. Thought I'd try a gentle run at the gym today so I went right back to week 2 in case my ankle starting hurting. But it felt ok and I finished yay!

Make up blog: http://love-lipstick.blogspot.com
Food blog: http://alienontoast.blogspot.com
FB Page for both blogs: http://www.facebook.com/lipstickontoast

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:09 am 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

That's great baps!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:20 am 
Has Isa on speed dial

Awesome, baps!

amonik wrote:
I had a really crappy run last time. It was supposed to be my second 25 minute run (7:1), but I only ran for about eight minutes. There was just so much snow on the road, and it was all soft and slippery - my feet were sliding so much and it was just too hard. I walked the rest of the way and my legs were still really sore yesterday (I don't usually get sore from running anymore). The weather has turned mild since then, so the paths are clear now and I'm going out again today.

I have the opposite problem. I spent the whole week trying to complete my 25 minute run, but it's been pushing 41C (105F) the last few times I went out, so I've mostly been shuffling along doing intervals of ~10 minutes, with a few minutes of walking in between. However, the heatwave broke two days ago and I managed to sneak out and complete my 25 minutes with a pleasant cool breeze.

The heat's back with a vengeance now, so no idea how long it will take me to complete week 8.

...I still can't believe I'm almost done with the program.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:06 am 

I know, I can't believe I only have six runs left either! I'm trying to plan what to do after. I've decided to sign up for a race. It's in September, and I don't have to decide until August 31st if I'm running 5 or 10 k. Right now I'm thinking 5 because I don't really want to spend more time training than I do now.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 4:41 am 
Has Isa on speed dial

I'm not sure what I'm going to focus on either! I think my first goal will be a sub-30-minute 5k, but it looks like I'll only need to knock a couple of minutes of my current time. I'm not fast, but I'm short and stubby legged, and I'm fairly happy with my pace in general. I think I'll also sign up for a 5k parkrun or something. l'm going to enjoy being a 5k runner for a while before I try Bridge To 10k or anything...

In other news, I'm one run away from finishing the program!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 9:18 pm 
Has Isa on speed dial

Double posting because I FINISHED C25K!

Not to be obnoxious, but I'm going to quote a post I made a little over a month ago that I think highlights how much progress I've made with this program. I really, really struggled with week 4. I didn't breeze through this whole thing, I didn't move on to each week on schedule...but if you just keep going, this program definitely works.
Quote:
As for what's stopping me from going 5 minutes...I think it might be mental as much as anything. I mean, I am breathing pretty hard and my legs hurt, but I seem to be stopping just because it feels like so long until that little voice will tell me to start walking. With the three minute intervals, sometimes they're really tough, but I push through them by telling myself 'just a few more seconds, just a few more seconds'. I'm hoping the 4 minute intervals will help me get over this hump.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 8:27 am 
Ninja Master

woooo congrats ilogicalthings, awesome feeling isn't it. I really felt I achieved something when I reached the end of the programme, even though I wasn't actually running 5k, just running for the 30 minutes and just adding 5 minutes on every week.

It feels sad to right back at the beginning again, but one day I will get myself back there!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:49 am 
Level 7 Vegan

Illogicalthings, you rock so hard. Congrats!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 4:08 pm 

Congratulations, illogicalthings!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 5:57 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

yay illogical things!
we are also super hot right now and i am going to get back to the gym to start running inside again but..... need to get work silliness resolved first.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:04 am 
Has Isa on speed dial

Thanks you guys!

Baps, I'm sure you'll get through the program even quicker the second time around. Injuries suck, but you did the right thing stay off it and letting yourself heal.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 1:50 pm 

Edited because apparently I already described the race. I signed up today. I run about 3,5 k in 28 minutes now, it will be interesting to see what happens before September!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 4:43 am 

I ran to a podcast from RunningIntoShape today. Who knew the Grateful Dead made great running music? I've never listened to them before.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 1:07 pm 

I finished! I ordered a t-shirt, one of the ugly ones with a potato on a couch. I'm going to keep running three times a week for now, but start varying my runs a bit more.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:45 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

I restarted Couch to 5k for the third or fourth time, I always get close to the end and then it gets too hot or cold to run. It's going really well, it doesn't even feel like work. I finished the first week and I'm thinking about skipping either all of week two or maybe two of the three days.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 3:00 am 

I think that's a good idea. It must be annoying to start over again and again - more fun to be able to progress faster! Do you have any options for indoor training when the weather is too hot or cold?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 3:12 pm 

As far as indoor training options, I guess I would have to join a gym. That would be doable, although running inside is so boring. I like to run in the evening, so that helps a little in the summer. With any luck the extreme cold is pretty much over here, so that gives me a couple of months before it gets too hot. There is a color run in September that I want to sign up for, and bonus, the entry fees go to the local humane society!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 4:30 am 

If running inside is too boring, maybe something like aerobics could keep up your fitness so you don't have to start over every spring and autumn? I thought of swimming first, but it's probably better with something that puts some pressure on your joints and bones.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 8:12 am 
Ninja Master

I actually don't mind running inside. I make a ridiculous playlist (think Ke$ha and I'm too Sexy!!) and then set myself little goals and that way it's not too boring.

I never run outside any more. I used to when I ran with my boss because she had awesome lake scenery and running paths behind her house but now I don't work there I just go to the gym. Although there is a canal opposite my house, maybe that'd be an interesting run in the warmer months.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 1:28 pm 

We've had a really mild winter, I've only had about five runs in temps below 0 C.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 3:57 am 

I finally ran 5k! It was not enjoyable, because it's a bit windy today, but I did it at my usual pace (about 8 minutes/k).

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 9:01 pm 

That's really great, congratulations!

I just finished week 4, and there is a 5k on May 10 that I would like to run. That gives me 3 weeks after I finish Couch to 5k, is that enough time to prepare?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 2:47 am 

As long as you're not too hard on yourself about how you finish, I think it can work. If you find that you're not running five k yet when it's time for the race, you can still finish if you do walk breaks. Are you doing C25k based on distance or time? I did it based on time, and for me it took several weeks after finishing the program before I ran 5k.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 9:18 am 
Making Threats to Punks Again

peanut wrote:
That's really great, congratulations!

I just finished week 4, and there is a 5k on May 10 that I would like to run. That gives me 3 weeks after I finish Couch to 5k, is that enough time to prepare?

You can definitely do it. Signing up will help keep you motivated too.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 11:10 am 

Thanks for the replies! I'm running for time right now, so I have no idea yet what my distance is. I have until a few days before the race to register, so I can wait and see what my distance is. I just don't want to push myself too hard too soon.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 777 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32  Next