| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 12:09 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 781 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32  Next
 Post subject: Re: Couch to 5K
PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 1:22 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Well, Wednesday I woke up feeling abysmal, so I postponed until Thursday and then did #3 this morning. Nothing particular to remark on except that I forced myself to jog up a hill and I made it to the top without stopping though I was pretty sure I would die. :-D

http://toocheapforpinenuts.wordpress.com/

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 1:26 am 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

Well done!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 5:11 pm 
Writes Vegan Haiku

Yesterday was my first day! I couldn't finish it properly as I had to walk the last 2 times I was meant to run, but hopefully the next time I'll be able to do it!
I do have a pain in my leg though everytime I move it, I don't think I stretched properly the first time. I might rest a day or two extra before doing my second one as I don't want to injure myself!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 7:42 pm 
Has Isa on speed dial

Hi! I'm new here!

I started training for a 5K at the end of July this week; it will be my second, but my first was four years ago. As of yet, my post-run snack is homemade bars from Camilla V. Saulsbury's "Power Hungry: The Ultimate Energy Bar Cookbook", which has many recipes that are vegan or that are easily veganizable (if that's a word). It's probably a question asked numerous times before, but I am curious to know, what are your post-run snacks?

Have a great evening! :)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 7:01 am 
Level 7 Vegan

Good luck Pebbles! I found that taking a long cool down walk (much longer than the program's 5 minutes) helped keep the soreness at a minimum.

Stella, I just tend to eat the same as usual, except more of it! Homemade energy bars sound cool though - any favorites that keep well?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 7:21 am 
Has Isa on speed dial

Aelle, for each recipe she lists the "bar keeping" details (how long they last at room temp, in the refrigerator, and in the freezer -usually three months). I usually keep a few in the fridge and freeze the majority. My favorite are the "Brewed Awakening Cappuccino Bars", and I like some of the raw ones: the vegan variation of the "Chocolate Hemp Protein Bars" and the "Sticky Sesame Bars with Raw Chocolate Drizzle".

:)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 7:32 am 
Saggy Butt

If I'm running in the morning, I normally go before breakfast and then just eat my regular breakfast when I get home. If I'm running after work, I just keep drinking water when I get home and then have dinner at the usual time. I currently have Invisalign, though, which have to be removed to eat. Removing them is kind of uncomfortable, so unless it's a special occasion (like a birthday), I only take them in and out for meals. If not for the Invisalign, I would probably snack after the after work runs.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 7:36 am 
Has Isa on speed dial

Tzippy, can you drink smoothies with your Invisalign on?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 8:38 am 
Saggy Butt

No, only water.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 8:48 am 
Has Isa on speed dial

Oh, thought that might've been an idea for eating right after, but then no :(.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 8:54 am 
Saggy Butt

Nope, but since I'm not running more than 5K yet, I'm okay with water and a regular meals for now. If I increase the distance, then it might be more of an issue. I just got the Invisalign last month and I'm supposed to have them for about 9 months.

I do want to increase my distance, but figure I should master the 5K distance first. It's still a struggle for me, though it's a lot easier on morning runs (when it isn't nearly as hot and humid here!).

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 8:59 am 
Has Isa on speed dial

Ah I see, at least you can eat breakfast right after in those cases. Good luck with mastering your 5K, and with your Invisalign treatment!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 9:52 am 
Saggy Butt

Thanks!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 6:57 pm 
Chip Strong

I did my first run this morning! I haven't worked out since I was pregnant with my three year old (besides walking around with her and my one year old all day) so I was a bit worried. But I made it through! My legs are realllly feeling it right now though.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 11:19 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Yay sashi! I'm doing this right now, too. I'm using the 10k Runner app and today was week 4, day 3. Which I guess means I'm halfway to 5k? It's pretty fun to see progress so quickly.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 11:07 am 
Has Isa on speed dial

Sashi, congrats on your return to running even with young children! Even though I am sure motherhood must keep you pretty active :)

Pinko, with this app, you made it to 5K in four weeks? That's awesome!

I am using the Strava app, it monitors all my runs with all these crazy stats I don't fully understand right now, plus it maps my runs and allows me to follow my friends' runs (and bike rides) and vice versa. I love that additional motivation.

Do any of you combine running with yoga? I was mainly a yogi, and now that I have started training for a 5K, I feel I am leaving yoga behind. I would like to start to incorporate a 20 minute yoga routine after my runs, or on non-running days, I am still hesitating. I wonder if I would feel more motivated after a run since I am already in my gym clothes :)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 11:30 am 

Stella wrote:
Pinko, with this app, you made it to 5K in four weeks? That's awesome!

Ha! No. Maybe I phrased that weirdly. It takes you to 5k in eight weeks (like most of these programs, I think?), so since I've done four weeks I'm "halfway."

Yoga and running are supposed to be very complimentary. I was doing a little yoga sequence after my runs as part of my stretching but I kind of barely have time to squeeze in the running itself (I have a 7-month old who is still nursing alllll the time and wants me the second she senses I'm home) so I've been slacking on that. In a perfect world, though, I'd do both!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 11:35 am 
Has Isa on speed dial

Oh well still! Good luck with the progress!

Maybe you could do mommy and baby yoga :)! When you stop nursing ;)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 1:01 pm 

This is week 5, but I am so physically exhausted right now that I only did day 1 and simply can't push myself any more at this point. I'm going to start week 5 again on Monday. Hopefully by then I'll have some oomph to push me through. So exhausted! I've been way over doing everything for weeks.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 1:16 pm 
Has Isa on speed dial

Even if you run for just a little while, below what you had planned, it is still 1000 times better than not exercising at all! Hope you feel better next week! And congrats on trying even if you feel exhausted for now!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 2:12 pm 
Inflexitarian

I don't do so well running in the heat. I feel like all the progress I made is kaput. Booo.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 7:47 pm 

Well, I did week 5/day 1 on Monday. So. Wiped. Out. My legs still hurt 2 days later! Normally I'd have done day 2 today but I'm going to do it tomorrow morning instead. Then maybe day 3 Friday afternoon instead of morning.

I think the week off is partly to blame! I don't want to give up but man. Rough.

On the plus side, the pollen counts are going down so I should be able to resume outdoor runs in a couple weeks! Running in place in my room is stupid and boring. But, better than dying the rest of the day from pollen.

Right now, speed is not important to me. Building endurance is all I care about at the moment, and for me that's a huge step because I have never even tried anything like this before. I do know it's paying off because I walked uphill on a hike 2 weeks ago without slacking or having to stop even once. :-D

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 12:45 pm 
Has Isa on speed dial

Butterbobbin, for sure it's paying off :)!

Do you stretch after you run? Maybe that could help with the legs hurting?

I know there's this whole debate on stretching before a run. I walk at a quick pace for 5 minutes, then do three quick stretches, then I'm off, and when I get back home I do take the time to really stretch my legs out.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 1:57 pm 

There's a 5k fun run on the 4th of July here. If I stick with my schedule, I'd be doing week 8 day 2 that day (30 minute run), so I'm thinking of signing up. I've haven't run in a group of people since high school gym class, though, ha. I'm afraid I'll hate it.

You're doing great, butterbobbin! I can't believe you've been running in place inside. I am definitely not that dedicated! I get bored on a treadmill and that's at least kind of moving. I hope the pollen and/or your allergies let up.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 2:06 pm 
Inflexitarian

Pinko,

You can definitely do a 5K. Even if you aren't running the entire time (or if you are!), you can finish it easy, I bet.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 781 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32  Next