| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:53 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Staying warm while working out in the Cold Outdoors!
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:24 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

I do bootcamp as I need the structure and motivation to get out of bed and workout in the morning. We've been inside for the last few months (which I hated and only went to like 6 times in 4 months). It went back outside today! I was super excited and woke up early to realize that I can't wear my shorts and tank that I wear in the summer or inside when it is just below freezing outside. Soo....

What do I need to wear to exercise outside and not freeze to death? And preferably not be too hot (I saw fleece lined running pants, I can picture the heat rash already)?

I know how to dress for snowshoeing, winter hiking, and snowboarding but this is different. I'm also fine doing a quick run in shorts and a long-sleeve top in the winter. But bootcamp is a full hour! And while it is a hard workout, there is also some standing around and I don't want to freeze during that. I figure I have a few more weeks, at least, of it being right around freezing at 6:30am. Tell me what to wear!

Oh, I went to the sport store today and got some thin gloves and ear covers. I figure I can pull something together for tomorrow from what I already own. But I'm def willing to go buy stuff if it will help.

Post subject: Re: Staying warm while working out in the Cold Outdoors!
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:16 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

Most of my experience comes from running. I really like a pair of compression tights I have. They keep me warm, but not too warm, and I can move just fine in them.
As for a shirt, I generally dress in layers so that I can adjust as I warm up. The first layer should definitely be moisture-wicking, you don't want to trap sweat near you when it is cold out.

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:56 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

lobsteriffic wrote:
Most of my experience comes from running. I really like a pair of compression tights I have. They keep me warm, but not too warm, and I can move just fine in them.
As for a shirt, I generally dress in layers so that I can adjust as I warm up. The first layer should definitely be moisture-wicking, you don't want to trap sweat near you when it is cold out.

I think I'm going to try to get some compression tights this weekend. I took your advice for the layers on top.

I did okay, got a bit warm, but wasn't cold once we got going. I wore my hiking long underwear under shorts, I think tights would be way better. I wore my most wickingest long-sleeved shirt and then a wicking t-shirt then a vest. I think I'm gonna see about getting a thinner vest and ditching the t-shirt, my vest was a puffyish one that I wear snowshoeing/snowboarding. I didn't need quite that much.

It was fun seeing what everyone else wore. Everything from running tights and a lightweight long-sleeved shirt to thick sweatpants with a med weight jacket and hat w/earflaps! I must be naturally warm because I would have had a heat rash wearing what some of the other people wore!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 3:57 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I LOVE UnderArmour Cold Gear. I have a compression mock top and the tights. I can run outside with that and a t-shirt (gloves and headband) when it's 20 degrees, but it's still comfortable enough when it's 40. Definitely worth the investment.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:41 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

kdub wrote:
I LOVE UnderArmour Cold Gear. I have a compression mock top and the tights. I can run outside with that and a t-shirt (gloves and headband) when it's 20 degrees, but it's still comfortable enough when it's 40. Definitely worth the investment.

Awesome, I'll look for that! I skipped out on the exercise this week (cramps, I couldn't motivate), but am hoping to go next week and it still isn't warm in the morning.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:56 am 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

unfortunately its all personal preference and only something youll figure out as you workout in certain temperatures, but once you have it down, you can look at the temp, maybe the humidity and know exactly what to where. I agree with the statements above, and wear some sore of moisture wicking base layer like an under amour. depending on how aggressive the workout is and how warm you want to keep your body you can adjust the layers on top of that accordingly with a lot of people choosing to use an outer shell to block the wind (either full jacket or vest). Also things that don’t warm up like the ears/hands/etc I would cover in 32F temperatures. Having rests between exercise could pose a problem though since you will start sweating during these down times and will get cold. I guess you could always stay active during these times but I don’t really know too much about these boot camps other than I see them going on during my ride to work every morning.