| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:21 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Opinions please-recumbent bike or elliptical for weight loss
PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:35 pm 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

I am interested in purchasing either a recumbent bike or elliptical. My husband and I currently have a treadmill. He needs to lose a lot of weight (like 50 pounds,most of his weight is in his belly) and while I am not overweight am pretty lazy about exercising. Which machine do you think would be more helpful for us? I have a brother who lost weight with a recumbent bike, but it seems like you wouldn't get as good a workout sitting down. I've heard from my nieces that the elliptical is good,but can be very tough if you're not used to exercising. Opinions,please! Karen

Post subject: Re: Opinions please-recumbent bike or elliptical for weight
PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:46 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

I've used both, and you can definitely work up a sweat on a recumbent bike if you set the resistance high enough! When I first decided to start exercising, I started out on an elliptical, and I didn't think it was really tough, even with my bad knees.

It might be good to just go to a sports store and try out a few different machines because they can definitely vary in terms of comfort. I know it isn't completely helpful, but the best machine is the one you'll enjoy using!

I guess I prefer the elliptical because you can get your arms and legs involved, so you can operate the machine with just your arms, just your legs, or both.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:49 pm 
Had sex with a vampire that sparkles.

If you're torn on it, a lot of gyms offer a free trial period and you guys could test out both machines that way. I'd choose elliptical, though, just out of personal preference. If you're used to the treadmill, you'd probably like it. It's like really light impact running. They often come with the upper arm bars and that adds to calorie burning, whereas all the recumbent bikes in my gym were strictly leg workouts, but I know they make some with arm bars. I guess I just don't like to workout sitting down.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:50 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

designedtobekind wrote:
I guess I prefer the elliptical because you can get your arms and legs involved, so you can operate the machine with just your arms, just your legs, or both.

This. I agree that it's probably a good idea to go to a sports store and try a few different machines out. The eliptical will take some getting used to, compared to bike, but it is probably a better workout.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:09 pm 

Thanks! I think we will go to the store and check them out. Does anyone know how much a good quality elliptical costs? I'm seeing them online for a few hundred dollars to over a thousand!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:42 pm 
Asked Santa for a pony

Yeah, I love ellipticals. I always feel weird when I'm using a stationary bike and I'm not using my arms, I feel like they need to be doing something.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 3:34 pm 
Saggy Butt

kittylover wrote:
Thanks! I think we will go to the store and check them out. Does anyone know how much a good quality elliptical costs? I'm seeing them online for a few hundred dollars to over a thousand!

A good one would probably be at least $800 new. The cheaper ones look really flimsy. You should try craigslist though because there's usually a lot of barely used ones in good condition.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 3:36 pm 
Had sex with a vampire that sparkles.

I don't think you have to spend that much. My cousin has a really great one that she uses frequently that she got from Wal-Mart 2 years ago for about $250. It's smaller than the ones in a gym, but using it feels the same and it has the same good quality display.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 8:43 am 
So Totally Yiffy

I bought an 'orbitrek' ellipical from thane and have it had it for years. I use it regularaly every week and have not have a problem. Its an awesome piece of equipment and only cost me about $350

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 10:23 am 

Coming from someone is overweight and a mostly non-exerciser (I'm just lazy), when I belonged to a gym I really loved the recumbent. Even if I didn't feel like exercising I could convince myself to sit my behind on a recumbent. Also, I'm not one of those people that can read on a treadmill or elliptical, buy on a recumbent I could. So I really loved that I could sit, ride, and read all while getting a decent workout for someone who doesn't work out. Now all that being said, I did own an elliptical and I liked it, but, for me, even though it was a great work out, it wasn't as simple/easy for me as using a treadmill or recumbent.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 10:55 am 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

I love elliptical machines that have programs for weight loss, cardio, intervels. The one I use at my gym really works me out when I put it on cardio.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 2:44 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I'm all about the elliptical. In 2010, I lost 50 lbs and part of that was cardio on an elliptical 3 x week (along with sugar freedom). I started just doing 15 mins a day because that was all I could do without passing out. Eventually I worked my way up to 1 hour/day 3 times a week. The elliptical is a great workout. It doesn't neglect your arms, either. Just make sure you get one with bars to hold on to. Also get one that inclines, not the flat ones. It's great to adjust as your fitness level changes.

"One day you'll see, when tofu takes over the world because tofu can be anything it wants to be!" -bekki

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:33 am 

Ginger wrote:
I bought an 'orbitrek' ellipical from thane and have it had it for years. I use it regularaly every week and have not have a problem. Its an awesome piece of equipment and only cost me about $350

My mom has an orbitrek and I've used it a couple of times and it's really good. I feel like running outside or on a treadmill gives me a more intense workout because I can go faster, but ellipticals are really good at making you break a sweat :) The model my mother has looks like this one:

She bought it when I was in high school, so it's been working for at least the last 7 years. In my opinion, if you want to lose weight, an elliptical is better than a bike because more of your body is involved.

eta: just noticed the original post is from almost a month ago! Did you end up buying an elliptical?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:03 am 

Actually,we haven't bought either yet! I want it mainly for my husband(though I could use some more exercise as well) but its' as if it doesn't concern him that he's around 5o pounds overweight,has high blood pressure and hight cholesterol. We looked at some last week and he pretty much just stood there showing no interest while I checked them out. I'm going to get a friend to look at them with me cause I need someone else's opinion to help me decide. Where can the "orbitrek" ones be found? The price is centainly right!