| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Apr 21, 2014 2:26 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 248 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: yoga, all varieties
PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 3:58 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

allularpunk wrote:
kara kara wrote:
allularpunk wrote:
I did Denise Austin's hot body yoga that's free for Amazon Prime members today, and although it was rather ridiculous, the last bit with the weights was really challenging! I really miss going to hot yoga at my local studio, but my finances won't allow it during the summer. Can anyone recommend a good vinyasa/flow dvd? That's really my favorite kind of yoga. Keeps me moving so my mind doesn't wander, and I might be able to justify $10-15 for a dvd that keeps me motivated to practice so that I'm not back at beginner level when I can afford classes again.

AP, I have a bunch of old yoga & pilates DVDs that I've grown out of, and I be happy to send them to you. I'll dig them up when I get home from work tonight and show you what I have.

Ooooh, fantastic! Thank you!

Also www.ekhartyoga.com (which I use every day on a subscription) has a load of free classes. Esther Ekhart does a lot of vinyasa flows. You can look her up on YouTube as well, lots there. And if you want then the subscription to the site is really worth it.

There's no way I can get out to a class regularly (kids!) so it's a lifeline for me.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 4:25 pm 
Asked Santa for a Hoveringdog

Day 1 of the YJ challenge done. Holy moly were my shoulders tight this morning. I swear, my right one popped each time I went into down dog. I really enjoyed the instructor, though. She had a very pleasant/soothing voice, and I'm looking forward to more practices with her. Also thinking about doing the video again before bed since I've loosened up quite a bit (yoga first thing in the am has never really worked for me, but with thunderstorms and a terrified dog, I was already not getting any sleep so I figured why not).

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:01 pm 
Shopped till she dropped

allularpunk wrote:
kara kara wrote:
AP, I have a bunch of old yoga & pilates DVDs that I've grown out of, and I be happy to send them to you. I'll dig them up when I get home from work tonight and show you what I have.

Got distracted and this slipped my mind. Whoops! It's been a while since I've done any of these, but I remember them fairly well.

Yoga:
-MTV Power Yoga - Probably the most like what you're after. I think it's my favorite of the yoga videos.
-Crunch Super SlimDown Pilates/Yoga Blend - There's a standing sequence that feels a little goofy at first, but that's probably because I'm horribly uncoordinated. It's still a really awesome video.
-MTV Yoga - A little slower than the power yoga, but I used to think it was tougher!
-Crunch Perfect Yoga Workout - This is a twofer. I like the Fat Burning Yoga routine better than the Joy of Yoga one, but that's probably because it's more vinyasa flow-style. Joy of Yoga is slower paced, but really good for stretching.
-Yoga Booty Ballet - Probably my least watched of all. It's not a bad video, just not my style.

Pilates:
-MTV Pilates Mix - I really like this one. The sequences were pretty creative.
-MTV Pilates - It's a butt-kicker, but in a good way.
-Windsor Pilates Basic 3 DVD Workout Set - The Basics is SUPER basic, and really only if you've never done pilates. The 20 Minute Workout is good when you're short on time. The Accelerated Body Sculpting is about an hour, and probably my favorite of the Windsors.
-Windsor Pilates Ab Sculpting - Ab work is not my favorite, but she switches it up to keep it pretty interesting
-Windsor Pilates Advanced Body Slimming - Pretty fast paced and intense.

You are welcome to any or all of these. Just let me know which ones, and I'll send them out this week.

I GOT YER VAGILANTE JUSTICE RIGHT HERE. ::grabs crotch:: - DarthCupcake

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:06 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

gaia13 wrote:
Day 1 of the YJ challenge done.

Me too! At work again. (My boss is on vacation for two weeks, so now I have the place to myself.)

I'm looking forward to this. I stopped the June challenge workouts and am just doing the 21-day challenge. Yoga Journal sure has a lot of challenge-type things available.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:23 pm 

quagga wrote:
gaia13 wrote:
Day 1 of the YJ challenge done.

Me too! At work again. (My boss is on vacation for two weeks, so now I have the place to myself.)

I'm looking forward to this. I stopped the June challenge workouts and am just doing the 21-day challenge. Yoga Journal sure has a lot of challenge-type things available.

Lucky you, getting the place to yourself for two weeks!

I just saw that what you were doing is what I was planning to start July 1 :)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:32 pm 

Day 2 complete! It always amazes me how even a short yoga practice can loosen me up and make me feel better when I haven't been doing it for awhile. I hope these videos stay up on the site since both yesterday and todays are ones I can see myself doing whenever, since they're so short.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 5:04 pm 
Heart of Vegan Marshmallow

Apparently this has been the worst possible week for me to start a routine like the 21 day yoga challenge. I got through about 10 minutes of yesterday's video before I had to go somewhere. Monday and today were just too crazy and I doubt I am going to be able to do anything but eat and go to bed when I get home from work tonight. Tomorrow I'm going to just do them all as I will actually have time!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 2:26 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

I did Day 3 and 4 back to back this morning -- they made a nice ~40-minute set. This has been really good for re-starting my love for yoga cheaply and (so far) effectively.

Moon - Day 1 and Day 2 were super short sessions, maybe 10 minutes each, so maybe bookmark those for days when you just are crazy-busy. I always think that I don't have time to do something good for me, and committing to thinking hard about doing these every day is really helping me set aside the time.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 2:28 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

kara kara wrote:
allularpunk wrote:
kara kara wrote:

Got distracted and this slipped my mind. Whoops! It's been a while since I've done any of these, but I remember them fairly well.

Yoga:
-MTV Power Yoga - Probably the most like what you're after. I think it's my favorite of the yoga videos.
-Crunch Super SlimDown Pilates/Yoga Blend - There's a standing sequence that feels a little goofy at first, but that's probably because I'm horribly uncoordinated. It's still a really awesome video.
-MTV Yoga - A little slower than the power yoga, but I used to think it was tougher!
-Crunch Perfect Yoga Workout - This is a twofer. I like the Fat Burning Yoga routine better than the Joy of Yoga one, but that's probably because it's more vinyasa flow-style. Joy of Yoga is slower paced, but really good for stretching.
-Yoga Booty Ballet - Probably my least watched of all. It's not a bad video, just not my style.

Pilates:
-Windsor Pilates Basic 3 DVD Workout Set - The Basics is SUPER basic, and really only if you've never done pilates. The 20 Minute Workout is good when you're short on time. The Accelerated Body Sculpting is about an hour, and probably my favorite of the Windsors.
-Windsor Pilates Ab Sculpting - Ab work is not my favorite, but she switches it up to keep it pretty interesting

You are welcome to any or all of these. Just let me know which ones, and I'll send them out this week.

If you have any of the yoga videos left, I would loooove any of them.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 3:18 pm 

So I'm starting over with the challenge tomorrow. I was housesitting Thurs until this morning, and I couldn't get the videos to play on the computer and I didn't have my laptop with me and didn't feel like coming home to get it. I even tried watching the videos on my phone, but apparently I need to be able to see what I'm doing,not just listening. So I did some stretching each day, and I may do a video tonight if I can gather the energy. I was surprised by how mad I was that I couldn't get the videos to play, but yoga really helps my mood and I felt so much better doing the 3 days.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 1:29 am 
Shopped till she dropped

strawberryrock wrote:
If you have any of the yoga videos left, I would loooove any of them.

Sorry! I didn't see your post until today.

The only one left is the Super SlimDown Pilates/Yoga Blend. It's not traditional yoga but it is a really good workout. I will happily send it to you if you are interested!

I GOT YER VAGILANTE JUSTICE RIGHT HERE. ::grabs crotch:: - DarthCupcake

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 1:23 pm 

How's everyone doing with the challenge(if you're doing it)? I have a few more days left since I restarted, but I'm glad I signed up for it, and I can't wait to just continue on with the next one. It's amazing what 20 min of yoga a day can do for your mood. And I think I'll be doing the hip-opening sequence frequently. My hips have always been tight, and I felt so relaxed and loose after that particular practice.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 12:30 pm 
Asked Santa for a pony

This is independent of the Yoga Journal challenge, but I decided to challenge myself to do yoga for 40 days straight. This morning was Day 6, which is a lot of days in a row for me! I usually practice 2-4 days a week. I'm really enjoying this process and getting in touch with things I do and don't like. I turned off a power yoga session after 25 minutes because I decided it just wasn't for me. I'm also going to finally start going to a studio once or twice a week to keep things interesting.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 3:23 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

kara kara wrote:
Yoga:

Pilates:

I LOVE the MTV yoga videos! I wish they had made more! I got them for free when I was in College to review for my college paper and still use them 10-12 years later. (makes me feel old that the videos are that old!)
I miss my Windsor Pilates videos. Someone stole them from me a long time ago. I had that 20 min workout memorized and still use many elements of it in my workout routine.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 3:26 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

assilembob wrote:
I LOVE the MTV yoga videos! I wish they had made more! I got them for free when I was in College to review for my college paper and still use them 10-12 years later.

Seriously! Power Yoga has been kicking my butt!

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:48 pm 

Nebraskalaska wrote:
This is independent of the Yoga Journal challenge, but I decided to challenge myself to do yoga for 40 days straight. This morning was Day 6, which is a lot of days in a row for me! I usually practice 2-4 days a week. I'm really enjoying this process and getting in touch with things I do and don't like. I turned off a power yoga session after 25 minutes because I decided it just wasn't for me. I'm also going to finally start going to a studio once or twice a week to keep things interesting.

I'm doing something like this, too! My goal is 30 days though, and then if I make that try and extend it to 50, and then maybe 100! We'll see what happens.

Today's day 7 for me!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:35 pm 
Asked Santa for a pony

Simply_Love wrote:
Nebraskalaska wrote:

I'm doing something like this, too! My goal is 30 days though, and then if I make that try and extend it to 50, and then maybe 100! We'll see what happens.

Today's day 7 for me!

Good luck! Today was day 8 for me. I had to drag myself to the mat for a gentle 20 minute practice. I am just so sore from yesterday's class, plus cramps, and general tiredness. But I am super glad I did it, and that is something I wouldn't have done before this.

My first class in years went really well yesterday. The studio feels good to me, I like it much more than the place I used to frequent. I'm excited for tomorrow's class!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 12:20 am 

Nebraskalaska wrote:
Good luck! Today was day 8 for me. I had to drag myself to the mat for a gentle 20 minute practice. I am just so sore from yesterday's class, plus cramps, and general tiredness. But I am super glad I did it, and that is something I wouldn't have done before this.

My first class in years went really well yesterday. The studio feels good to me, I like it much more than the place I used to frequent. I'm excited for tomorrow's class!

Thanks! Good luck to you, too!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 1:00 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

Yay for daily yoga practice, Nebraskalaska! A daily practice brings so many amazing riches. Also, I think a combination of practicing at home and with a teacher in a studio is perfect. At home, you can work on your own needs and interests, and learn to do what feels right for you. In class, you get challenged and exposed to new insights, new poses,new ideas. Yoga love!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 9:22 pm 
Asked Santa for a pony

Today is day 16 of my yoga challenge! Going to classes has really started to expand and improve a lot of areas of my practice. Despite doing yoga at home regularly for the past year, some basic poses such as tree have alluded me for whatever reason. Recently though things like tree and half moon have really started to click.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 10:11 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

My friend is absolutely evangelical about how fantastic Iyengar yoga is and she is driving me crazy saying I need to try it. I'd love to hear other people's views because she is sooooooo keen I can't quite take it seriously. Surely it can't be that different from the two yoga classes I tried before and didnt like (I don't know which kind they were though).

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 1:37 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

Rentaghost, Iyengar Yoga is the type of yoga that I study and that I teach. It is quite different that some other styles of yoga. Typically, the poses are held for a longer duration. There is not usually any flow-type element. The instruction is often quite particular and detailed and demanding. Also, there are a lot of props available to illustrate a particular action or to make a pose feel more supported (or to make it more challenging!), and also for people with certain needs for extra modifications. Teachers are usually well trained. My experiences are unorthodox, because my teacher was a long time student of Mr Iyengar, but is also a bit of an oddball (and I love him for it!)

Some Iyengar teachers can be a bit boring, and others a bit nasty, but there are a lot of really wonderful Iyengar teachers out there. It tends to be slower paced and is really great for people with injuries, or for people who just want a more still yoga experience (ie less vigorous movement).

Anyhow, check it out! I love it! Feel free to ask if you have questions.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 6:23 am 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

Thanks ameyfm. That makes me even more envious of the people living close enough to come to your studio! My friend is hoping to train as an Iyengar teacher in a year or two (she started training last year but realised she did not have the time to devote to it while her kids are the age they are). I might try a class or two - my friend lives an hour away so it's not really practical to go to one of her teacher's classes. It's so hard to know if you have a good teacher or not when you're a novice. I know my friend doesn't rate the teacher she started off with too highly now but she used to say she was brilliant.

I previously went to a large yoga class (not Iyengar) where the teacher was at the front instructing and didn't mingle at all amongst the 20 students. That was okay but I didn't really feel I was getting a great experience of what yoga was so I joined a smaller class at the local Buddhist centre. I stopped going there because the teacher would say "someone needs to straighten their back a it more" and I was left thinking does he mean me! He never corrected anyone in particular and I found that quite ridiculous. But also certain poses made me cry and I found that very embarrassing.

Another thing that bothers me is that some yogas say you not should do it if you have certain illnesses (eg cancer, HIV). If you do develop such an illness there is always going to be a point when you don't know you have it and it concerns me that you could be making it worse with yoga. Why do they say that?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 11:53 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I am going to my first vinyasa class in two hours and I am really nervous. Good thing I just had a breakfast of birthday cake to give me energy.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 3:10 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

rentaghost wrote:
Thanks ameyfm. That makes me even more envious of the people living close enough to come to your studio! My friend is hoping to train as an Iyengar teacher in a year or two (she started training last year but realised she did not have the time to devote to it while her kids are the age they are). I might try a class or two - my friend lives an hour away so it's not really practical to go to one of her teacher's classes. It's so hard to know if you have a good teacher or not when you're a novice. I know my friend doesn't rate the teacher she started off with too highly now but she used to say she was brilliant.

I previously went to a large yoga class (not Iyengar) where the teacher was at the front instructing and didn't mingle at all amongst the 20 students. That was okay but I didn't really feel I was getting a great experience of what yoga was so I joined a smaller class at the local Buddhist centre. I stopped going there because the teacher would say "someone needs to straighten their back a it more" and I was left thinking does he mean me! He never corrected anyone in particular and I found that quite ridiculous. But also certain poses made me cry and I found that very embarrassing.

Another thing that bothers me is that some yogas say you not should do it if you have certain illnesses (eg cancer, HIV). If you do develop such an illness there is always going to be a point when you don't know you have it and it concerns me that you could be making it worse with yoga. Why do they say that?

I would say that as long as you find a teacher that you feel safe with, and who's vibe you feel good about, that's a good start. As teachers, we ask students to do things that are difficult and maybe even a bit scary. If you trust and respect your teacher, you are going to be a lot more willing to have courage in your practice.

Don't worry about crying in poses! It happens way more often than you might realize. Teachers have seen it before. A good teacher shouldn't make you feel uncomfortable at all. I usually just leave people alone or bring them a tissue or just check in and ask if they need anything from me to feel supported.

Generally, an Iyengar teacher will walk around the room and be giving each person adjustments, tips, and modifications.

I haven't heard of not doing yoga if you are ill. In fact, quite the opposite I would think. I guess you would want to make sure you were doing a class/practice that was supporting your immune system, aiding in a sense of health and recovery, and not leaving the system feeling over-exerted or excessively strained. In fact, I have at least one student in class right now with cancer and she finds it to be a nice way to keep moving, to relate to her body, and to feel a sense of health instead of always "feeling sick."

xoxoxox

Profile WWW  

Reply to topic  [ 248 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next