| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 2:02 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 250 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: yoga, all varieties
PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 4:31 pm 
Asked Santa for a pony

strawberryrock wrote:
I am going to my first vinyasa class in two hours and I am really nervous. Good thing I just had a breakfast of birthday cake to give me energy.

Woo! Have fun. Vinyasa is my favorite, I love the flowing sequences.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 4:37 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Nebraskalaska wrote:
strawberryrock wrote:
I am going to my first vinyasa class in two hours and I am really nervous. Good thing I just had a breakfast of birthday cake to give me energy.

Woo! Have fun. Vinyasa is my favorite, I love the flowing sequences.

I liked it a lot. I usually go to alignment flow and hatha classes--the alignment flow one is my favorite, mostly because I adore the instructor it's with. This was definitely more of a cardio workout, which is good for me, and I like the instructor a lot too.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:40 am 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

Bikram yoga is saving my life. Ommm

Now go eat some vegan food and don't complain about the world.
-Claire Galant, T.O.F.U Magazine

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 3:04 pm 
Asked Santa for a pony

Wow, it's already day 27 of my yoga challenge. I hadn't even been keeping track, but I just decided to count up the days. Practicing daily is really awesome!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 4:30 pm 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

Anyone have any recommendations for yoga for athletes/sports injured folks? I think doing a bit of yoga would help my cycling, and I'm hoping it might also help the shoulder injury I've been dealing with since last fall. In general, I'm very fit, but not very flexible, and could probably benefit from some core strengthening and releasing some of the tension and stress I build up during the 10 or 15 hours a week when I ride my bike. I've done yoga in the past, so I'm a bit familiar with hatha and vinyasa/flow kind of stuff, but that's about it. Any thoughts?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:19 pm 
Chip Strong

jordanpattern wrote:
Anyone have any recommendations for yoga for athletes/sports injured folks? I think doing a bit of yoga would help my cycling, and I'm hoping it might also help the shoulder injury I've been dealing with since last fall. In general, I'm very fit, but not very flexible, and could probably benefit from some core strengthening and releasing some of the tension and stress I build up during the 10 or 15 hours a week when I ride my bike. I've done yoga in the past, so I'm a bit familiar with hatha and vinyasa/flow kind of stuff, but that's about it. Any thoughts?

Adding yoga to my training has definitely helped my running. I try to get to one hot yoga class and one yin-yang class a week. I really like the hot yoga because I feel the heat helps me get deeper into poses and work on some of my chronically tight muscles (my stupid IT band for example). It's good mental workout too, which is beneficial for endurance sports. I try and do yin-yang (restorative) yoga on Sunday nights after my long runs. They are much slower classes with a focus on technique and meditation. It's great for recovery (mental recovery too), which I often neglect in my training.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:33 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

JoPa - Bikram has helped me to feel more flexible and heal my back, and I agree with Studio that the heat is also a great mental workout too. There are several really athletic people that come to class, including one that is using Bikram to help train for a Tough Mudder. If you like a strict atmosphere and discipline and are looking to yoga for the physical benefits, I'd say try a few Bikram classes. I don't necessarily think that it's the be all and end all of yoga, but it's made a huge difference for me in a lot of ways.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:26 pm 
Asked Santa for a pony

I do vinyasa to compliment my running, and I run to compliment my yoga. If you're doing a lot of cardio that only works a certain group of muscles I think it's always an awesome idea to include some other activity that will strengthen other muscle groups that may not get a lot of use otherwise. Yoga has helped me become a better runner by building a lot of muscle (especially in my arms, core, and glutes) plus I think the focus on breathe and form in yoga can translate really well to any other sport.

If you have an injury I don't think I would recommend starting off at home. Try to go to a class and talk to your instructor before class about your injury (normally they'll ask but not always!). In terms of style I think that with your injury you'll benefit most from a hatha or iyengar style class, or any class where the concentration is on holding the poses for longer periods of time. Vinyasa, flow, and power classes can move really quickly and as a result you sometimes get sloppy with your form which could result in exacerbating your injury.

Also, I live right down the street from a place called Lula Health Center that specializes in Yoga Based Rehab that could probably be really beneficial for your shoulder.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 10:26 pm 
Shopped till she dropped

Yesterday, I went to my first yoga workshop yesterday with one of my favorite online instructors, Kathryn Budig. It was all about bakasana, which I struggled with for a long, long time before I was able to even get both feet off the ground. I've been able to hold it for a few years now, but it was so cool to see it broken down bit by bit and try a bunch of different variations and methods of getting in and out of the pose. Plus, I really love KB's method and flow and overall personality. She's great at making yoga fun and light but still challenging. So awesome!

I GOT YER VAGILANTE JUSTICE RIGHT HERE. ::grabs crotch:: - DarthCupcake

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 10:33 pm 
Asked Santa for a pony

That workshop sounds amazing! Bakasana is my current pet pose that I'm paying a lot of attention to.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:49 am 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

Does anyone else do Moksha Yoga? I am a frequenter of the Minneapolis location!! I love hot yoga. It has changed my life.

Now go eat some vegan food and don't complain about the world.
-Claire Galant, T.O.F.U Magazine

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:26 am 
So Totally Yiffy

i just started "hot flow yoga" or power yoga, i guess it's the same thing. I was doing bikram hot yoga in NYC, but i just moved and it isn't available here. So far i love the hot flow though!

has anyone here made friends through their yoga studio? as i said, i just moved, so i am really looking to make new friends. :)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:31 am 
***LIES!!!***

I wet to a hot yoga place once and even though I could barely do any of the moves, I loved it, and I loved the people there, who were totally friendly and supportive. I need to go back.

I went to a new yoga class last week after not doing yoga for at least a year and nobody, not even the instructor, said hello to me. It was super depressing.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:58 pm 
Spent a night at the Bates Motel

So, I went to a yoga class a few years ago, thought it was the greatest thing ever, and then never went again because I was a workaholic/schoolaholic/etc. But now I'm taking the time to take care of myself and enjoy life. I've found a few places nearby to do yoga but I'd like to practice at home a bit first. I'm going to get started with the beginner's section on http://www.doyogawithme.com.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 3:27 am 
Not NOT A Furry

sarahnorine wrote:
Does anyone else do Moksha Yoga? I am a frequenter of the Minneapolis location!! I love hot yoga. It has changed my life.

I would love to hear more about Moksha yoga! I just recently heard about it for the first time. I love hot yoga but don't love all the ridiculousness around Bikram himself (though his class has done amazing things for me), so am interested in other hot classes. Please fill me in!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:13 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

You guys, I just signed up for a 30 day yoga challenge at a local studio. My friend is doing it and she convinced me...it's a really good deal, $88 for up to 2 classes a day, but even if I just go to one a day, that's only $3 per class. Anyway, I'm pretty excited. And also nervous, because I haven't done any yoga in over a month. My first class is tomorrow and I signed up for hot yoga because I'm a glutton for punishment...I love hot yoga so much, but it's going to be rough not having done any in so long. Anyway, pretty pumped about trying all sorts of classes. They have tons of different ones and my friend says that the instructors are all really awesome. Don't know how in the world I'm going to manage going to 30 days straight of yoga (mostly because of scheduling), but I'm gonna try! Because I get a tshirt at the end if I do! (Also, I like challenging myself, of course.)

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:42 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

That's awesome allularpunk! I started doing Bikram with a 30DC and it was awesome. Sometimes you do have do some scheduling gymnastics to make it work, but for me it felt really good to make myself a priority like that. Have fun!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:38 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

Yeah, after the month I had...I'm treating myself. We'll see if I'm able to make myself go at 7am when I can't go to evening classes. Or Sundays at 1 when football is happening. Although, my friend watches football with us, so maybe we can deal with it. We'd really only miss part of the first half.

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 4:54 pm 
Chip Strong

I'm pretty physically fit and strong already from aerial circus and cycling, but I really want to improve my flexibility so am considering going to some yoga classes to give it a try. The two varieties offered by my local exercise centre are Hatha Yoga and Ashtanga Yoga. Does anyone have any recommendations for which I should try? I know absolutely nothing about yoga!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:29 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

Imogen, I'd try both and see what you like better, if you can! I tried a few different things before I found a style (and a studio) that really clicked for me.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:29 pm 
Naked Under Apron

i'm doing a 30 day yoga immersion at my shala this month - i'm super excited! i'm excited for your yoga challenge this month too, allularpunk. MEGAyay!

i practice 5-6 days a week in the mornings (6-7:45), when i first started i dreaded it, but i absolutely love doing yoga first thing in the morning. sure, you're not as flexible, but your mind is so clear and i find myself much less distracted. keep us posted on how you like those morning yoga classes, ap. i learned to love mine.

hooooooray for yogafaces!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:37 pm 
Naked Under Apron

Imogen wrote:
I'm pretty physically fit and strong already from aerial circus and cycling, but I really want to improve my flexibility so am considering going to some yoga classes to give it a try. The two varieties offered by my local exercise centre are Hatha Yoga and Ashtanga Yoga. Does anyone have any recommendations for which I should try? I know absolutely nothing about yoga!

i'm with Nicole, Imogen - try them both and see what you love. i did general hatha yoga on and off for a few years, then about a year and a half ago i found ashtanga. i absolutely adore ashtanga, it's so challenging and sure, there are days when i say "ugh, i don't like this!", but i truly love it. to be honest, for me, it's change my life. when i started i couldn't touch my toes, and i wanted the practice for something mostly physical. since starting, my flexibilty has greatly increased (it's been a slow process, so be patient!) and the practice has become very much more mental and emotional (and spiritual) for me instead of purely physical. but give both a fair shot and see which one you're more drawn to and what resonates with you.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:40 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

happyfaced wrote:
Imogen wrote:

i'm with Nicole, Imogen - try them both and see what you love. i did general hatha yoga on and off for a few years, then about a year and a half ago i found ashtanga. i absolutely adore ashtanga, it's so challenging and sure, there are days when i say "ugh, i don't like this!", but i truly love it. to be honest, for me, it's change my life. when i started i couldn't touch my toes, and i wanted the practice for something mostly physical. since starting, my flexibilty has greatly increased (it's been a slow process, so be patient!) and the practice has become very much more mental and emotional (and spiritual) for me instead of purely physical. but give both a fair shot and see which one you're more drawn to and what resonates with you.

I just wanted to chime in to say yes for being patient! I was talking to my friend about how sometimes you need to accept your limitations when it comes to yoga. Not everybody can put their head between their knees or do head stands right off the bat, which is something I struggle with as a competitive person. I have a very tight muscle in my inner left thigh that no amount of stretching or massage has been able to loosen, and I have to be patient with myself when everyone else is able to spread their legs super wide and I can't. Maybe someday I'll get there, but in the meantime...patience.

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:40 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

Day 2 of my challenge and I am a wet noodle right now. Last night's hot yoga was amazing. Very intense and difficult, but I made it through. It was one of those classes where, when they say the reading at the end, I almost cried. First time that's ever happened, but I felt a really big emotional release. I think this is going to be good for me. This morning I went to a basic class, and holy wow my arms and shoulders were feeling it. Shaking just in downward dog. I'm going to a gentle class tonight, hopefully I'll be able to make it through. I'm annoyed at how much upper body strength I've lost since my last foray into yoga.

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:18 am 
Naked Under Apron

i have totally done my fair share of shaking on downward facing dog. i used to abhor that pose - not my fav. at all.

gentle classes are so great, i hope you enjoy your this evening, ap. for me, i look at them as an opportunity to be really mindful about my breath and any sensations that arise. i love to look inward and really observe myself in gentle yoga classes, which can make them really challenging for me.

i have cried in yoga and also come close to crying a ton of times. happy and sad tears. i remember once i broke down sobbing on my drive home from a class. i was a mess, but it was awesome. yoga will totally get into those places - those places we store our junk. it'll peel back some layers and emotional releases are a part of the process, fo 'sho.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 250 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next