| FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 4:35 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 371 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15
 Post subject: Re: yoga, all varieties
PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 8:29 pm 
Semen Strong

Oh that is really interesting re yoga and joints! Any resources on that? I loved yoga so much earlier this year and felt amazing and like this was my new passion. And then I injured my knees doing it badly enough that I couldn't walk without pain. My PT said that i overextended my knee because I have no ligaments left in my knees after ski accident. She said basically if I want to do yoga (and she has a similar injury and loves yoga) I need to now always keep my knees bent and pay a lot of attention to deep bends like Warrior and now it's not fun any more and I don't feel awesome or competent just weak, scared and wobbly. :(

THROW A forking YAM IN THE OVEN ITS forking CHRISTMAS - LisaPunk

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 2:42 am 
Nailed to the V

Tofulish wrote:
Oh that is really interesting re yoga and joints! Any resources on that? I loved yoga so much earlier this year and felt amazing and like this was my new passion. And then I injured my knees doing it badly enough that I couldn't walk without pain. My PT said that i overextended my knee because I have no ligaments left in my knees after ski accident. She said basically if I want to do yoga (and she has a similar injury and loves yoga) I need to now always keep my knees bent and pay a lot of attention to deep bends like Warrior and now it's not fun any more and I don't feel awesome or competent just weak, scared and wobbly. :(

Oh no! Yoga should never make you feel weak, scared or wobbly. (Well, sometimes, wobbly,one of my favorite things about yoga is that it makes me check in with how balanced (or not) I am) What kind of yoga were you doing when you got injured? Bikram for instance often tells practitioners to lock their knee joints...which I would never ever ever recommend, because it can definitely cause injuries. (Or aggravate old ones) In a super hot bikram studio it feels good and strengthening, but when your muscles cool down, you could discover damage has been done. (I'm not hating on Bikram here at all, I think it can be absolutely awesome for the right practitioners, just not for everyone)

I wouldn't give up on yoga just yet. Start by making sure you aren't locking out your knee joints (so that's just the tiniest of bends, and when you're in something like Warrior 2, just be very very aware that your knee isn't extending out in front of the ankle. You never know...a few minor things could make all the difference...

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 7:51 am 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

Tofulish, I have only heard from family members with Arthritis and other injuries that yoga was too much for them, even though I've read a lot about yoga being beneficial for the joints. I did find this
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/michaelle ... 43130.html
Which seems it could be my issue because I have extensive hamstring shortening already. I'm much more comfortable doing pilates-style bends which require that the knees are not locked, and the pelvis is tilted during the curving and the straightening of the spine.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 8:05 am 
WRETCHED

So I decided I wanted to give yoga a try, again. I've tried it many times but have never really followed through. I'm at my heaviest weight, which makes yoga extra challenging. I found some videos (not for free) by plus size yoga instructors and I thought that was pretty motivating to know that it isn't my weight necessarily that is holding me back. So I started this morning. Got my butt kicked, in a good way. I hope to continue.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 12:43 am 
Nailed to the V

linanil wrote:
So I decided I wanted to give yoga a try, again. I've tried it many times but have never really followed through. I'm at my heaviest weight, which makes yoga extra challenging. I found some videos (not for free) by plus size yoga instructors and I thought that was pretty motivating to know that it isn't my weight necessarily that is holding me back. So I started this morning. Got my butt kicked, in a good way. I hope to continue.

Hooray linanil!

Weight is just a number, and I'd actually suggest you give all teachers a try. Just because a teacher might have a larger frame doesn't mean she's teaching the right yoga for you. The first yoga teacher who ever truly kicked my asparagus is "plus size" (I guess that's how people identify her, although I describe her as loving, tough, creative, artistic, you get the idea...) but she is also one of the strongest, most flexible people I know. She kicks my asparagus, and I don't know I'd recommend her as a beginner level teacher to anyone of any body size. Look for teachers who are great at beginning yoga, or returns to yoga....or limited flexibility. You may find you have more in common with them than someone with just a little more to love.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 7:30 am 
WRETCHED

Thanks a bunch. I did watch an intermediate video with a plus size instructor who did a headstand directly from the floor and I was like... uhh what?

The videos I'm looking at are definitely beginner :) I've been doing some yoga every day for the past 4 days.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 1:28 pm 
Nailed to the V

linanil wrote:
Thanks a bunch. I did watch an intermediate video with a plus size instructor who did a headstand directly from the floor and I was like... uhh what?

The videos I'm looking at are definitely beginner :) I've been doing some yoga every day for the past 4 days.

Hooray, you go girl!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 12:01 pm 
TOTALLY CRADICAL

I've been feeling super good with yoga lately, just feeling really happy with my personal progress and how good I feel when I regularly practice. I got two new nice pairs of yoga pants from Athleta with an X-mas gift card so I'm feeling all sorts of snazzy. Last week my yoga teacher had a film student in class who is filming him for an assignment, "a day in the life of a yoga teacher." I wasn't totally opposed to appearing on film and so naturally I somehow ended up right in front of the camera (not what I had in mind, guys).

I felt really proud of myself for doing a really competent headstand, my arms and shoulders felt strong and supportive, and I was holding the pose really well! So naturally my shirt came untucked and flopped down to expose my belly. On film. At least it didn't flop further down than my bra?

Turns out they won't use that footage at all because a latecomer who didn't know about the filming came in sat right next to the teacher the whole class, then said after they filmed everything that she didn't want to be on film. Way to be on time!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 1:12 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

So in addition to going to an in person class at least once a week I've been doing Yoga Camp every day from yogawithadriene.com and I'm super into it. I've never really done much yoga at home before this and never found any online classes that I like that much but I like her style a lot and I like the structure of feeling like I need to do it every day.

Erika, I'm really impressed that you can do headstands, come teach me!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 11:30 am 
Level 7 Vegan

I found Adriene at the end of last year. I did her 30 days of yoga & then started Yoga Camp in January. I loved it too. I practice nearly everyday at home now, although it's usually only about 30 minutes as I am also doing a headspace meditation daily for 15 minutes too.
I have really noticed a difference having a more regular practice rather than doing an hour or more once or twice a week.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 3:19 pm 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

Chickpea wrote:
I found Adriene at the end of last year. I did her 30 days of yoga & then started Yoga Camp in January. I loved it too. I practice nearly everyday at home now, although it's usually only about 30 minutes as I am also doing a headspace meditation daily for 15 minutes too.
I have really noticed a difference having a more regular practice rather than doing an hour or more once or twice a week.

I do Adriene sometimes too when I want something more yin yogaish or before bed.

I usually do Kundalini style yoga. While I started practicing it irregularly starting in 2001, I've been doing it mostly every day since beginning of 2015 and notice a HUGE difference in my motivation and willingness to participate in life. I think it's more the breathing exercises and most of all the meditation that's making a big difference in me. I'm actually feeling brave and doing things! Honestly, I attribute the mostly daily yoga to these changes where I'm more motivated (planning and hosting a party for my sister at the beginning of 2016 when she moved to Vancouver without even the hint of a nervous breakdown; joining Toastmasters; considering applying for the emerging writers program to read my poetry publicly; going to a NYE potluck party alone where there were 150 people (mostly strangers in attendance and at most casual acquaintances) and having a good time; doing Kirtan sadhana where I sing kundalini chants with strangers who are getting to be not so strange now that I see them semi-regularly... all things that I would normally not do/be afraid of doing). Go me! I think yoga is just amazing and yes I do it mostly every day...(in 2015 out of 365 days in that year, I probably did yoga/meditation ~320 days). I've been keeping up the regularity thus far in 2016 and my new stronger, more present and invested attitude keeps evolving.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 7:34 am 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

Chickpea wrote:

Yay, I also just finished yoga camp! I've known Adriene for a while and done her videos on and off because stuff in life just happend and I had to stop. I'm back on now though and really, really enjoyed yoga camp with the mantras and added positive self talk. I'm currently doing a lot of reflecting, thinking about life and choices and stuff which is a great lot of difficult emotional work and this has helped me so much to start finding a way back to myself.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 12:44 am 
Nailed to the V

So I've been trying to set up a yoga class for fellow employees for months, and we finally started a couple weeks ago. I'm leading and it's REALLY fun, it's just very different levels. I've taught to multiple levels before, and even to complete beginners with complete handicaps --- but never to quite as big a range as this. I've got everything from the person who can't reach their knees in a forward fold, to a woman who's been doing pilates 4 times a week for 15 years.

I want them all to get something out of it, and they assure me they are...but anyone out there got experience and some suggestions for working with a VERY big level range? We're also practicing in a very small space, so it's hard for me to walk around and offer alternatives, and it's a short session (30 minutes) which also makes me scared to spend too much time talking and not enough practicing.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 10:50 am 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

I am not a teacher so I have no idea how helpful or feasible this idea is, but: would it be possible to reserve one class to just go through some of the basics and which modifications are possible for the poses you include a lot so your students are equipped with the knowledge to make the necessary adjustments themselves?

I'm sure that with time this would happen anyways, but making explicit room for explanations might accelerate this process and maybe also empower your students somewhat which in turn might them get even more out of the class!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 2:09 am 
Nailed to the V

Lily wrote:
I am not a teacher so I have no idea how helpful or feasible this idea is, but: would it be possible to reserve one class to just go through some of the basics and which modifications are possible for the poses you include a lot so your students are equipped with the knowledge to make the necessary adjustments themselves?

I'm sure that with time this would happen anyways, but making explicit room for explanations might accelerate this process and maybe also empower your students somewhat which in turn might them get even more out of the class!

That's more or less what I did at the first meeting...I guess the hardest thing is how little time I have! We get just 30 minutes, which I feel like simply isn't enough to talk and explain all the alternatives for everything :(

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 7:18 am 
Prefers Jar Jar Binks over Han Solo

I went to a lovely yoga retreat on the weekend and it was awesome and I learned nice new positions which will be of help with running and all, and then the last practice I overdid a side stretch and I pulled a muscle in my lower back. Sitting down and getting up hurt like hell! It was a muscle I had already hurt 10 years ago and has since been giving me some issues every now and then, and the deeper stretch was too much for it. Poor muscle!
I am not sure what kind of doctor, if any, I should be seeing for something like this, does anyone have a recommendation? I was thinking a physiotherapist might be a good idea, but I think they might just tell me to rest for a while and then do some yoga...

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 7:27 pm 
TOTALLY CRADICAL

Going through a funk. I need motivation to go to class tonight! It should be a no-brainer, because it's so helpful for my anxiety and I always feel so good and sleep so well after a class. I think I must be going through an arbitrary-chronological-period itch.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 12:09 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

Reviving this thread to say: after 3 years of going to yoga and 2 years of going every day, I'm starting a teacher training program next week! My books for the course showed up today and I'm really excited. :)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 5:18 pm 
Slept through a huge sale, OH NO!

doncherryfan wrote:
I'm starting a teacher training program next week!

I’m starting in October! My first thought is to go through the training just to deepen my own practice. But it is always great to learn new things and I’m super excited too!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 10:31 am 
WRETCHED

yay! I've been doing yoga semi regularly, I really enjoy it. Its hard especially when you have extra weight to deal with but I love becoming more flexible.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 3:19 am 
Level 7 Vegan

I've just been accepted onto a yoga 200 hour teacher training program starting in January. I'm so excited about it. I've already been asked to teach at the vegan shop, yoga studio near me. I'm so excited to be on this journey.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 371 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15