| FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Sep 19, 2017 3:33 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 371 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
 Post subject: Re: yoga, all varieties
PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 7:12 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

I looked into that a few months ago, and that seems unfounded (from a scientific standpoint). (The yoga reasons are spiritual as I understand it.) Something something gravity and nowhere for the blood to go...I'll try to find the article when I'm on a computer.

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 7:29 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Here it is: http://www.slate.com/articles/double_x/ ... _fine.html

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 8:06 pm 
Who's Ted Leo?

Thanks for the info Kiddo! I always wondered why inversions were to be avoided by menstruating women, and whether it was valid.

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 8:34 pm 
TOTALLY CRADICAL

Good to know!

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 10:14 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

yes, my understandings are that the medical claims are not scientifically solid (though, who's to say how many rigorous studies have actually been done on inverting-while-menstruating ladies!?). That said, I almost never go upside down on my period. My period makes me tired, and I appreciate the opportunity to be a bit more quiet in my practice. And I am essentially a believer in the energetic dynamics of the practice, and menstruation is definitely a time when the apanic (downward) energy is dominant and natural. During days when one is not menstruating, there is generally a goal to convert apana into prana (upward rising energy) -- in order to balance and lift the body's tendencies toward inertia and heaviness. However, during menstruation, you kinda have to go along with apana, at least to some degree. So I look at it as a chance to be a bit more quiet. But a few minutes here and there - if you're in a workshop and the teacher's doing something special and this is your chance to learn it, or you just feel like it, or whatever - I say, why not. Also, I think as long as you mentally feel good and clear about either choice, that's great either way. But since I don't really like to go upside down on my period, sometimes when I do... there's a little lingering doubt in my mind, and I don't think that's beneficial.

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 12:26 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

Reading this thread made me go practise my head stands! I use a corner of a room as it seems to really help. I can't imagine ever being able to do a headstand without a wall.

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 1:50 pm 
Semen Strong

I had a really hard time with my knees and ankles after doing daily yoga. I think some of the poses like Warrior III, pigeon and dolphin are a bit rough on my joints.

Any ideas on how to strengthen them? Did I just overdo it by not taking rest days? What kind of rest schedules do you use?

THROW A forking YAM IN THE OVEN ITS forking CHRISTMAS - LisaPunk

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 3:16 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

Sorry to hear about your knee problems. A girl in my yoga class had knee issues & the teacher modified all the postures for her. She obviously had lots of discussions with the teacher before she started the class but she was able to attend the classes & they worked for her.
There is a lot of free stuff on Do you yoga, and the beginners one seems very simple & low impact. Maybe you could pick and choose from them avoiding things like warrior & pigeon?
I hope you find something that works for you. I tore my knee ligament once & tried to do Tai Chi & the repetitive nature of moving forwards & backwards was just too much, even though it was low impact. So I totally get where you are coming from.
I think it is important to not give up as yoga has so many benefits just try things out & work out what you can & can't do & then build on that. Take it slowly, & see it as a journey of discovery & increasing strength.

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 3:35 pm 
Semen Strong

I appreciate the kind words! I have taken a 3 day break and am back to walking without pain. I love yoga and I think I'll keep doing the doyouyoga and Erin Motz stuff that includes ab work and neck and hand work because that is awesome for me. But I'm leery of doing anything with my legs that will have me back to not being able to walk without pain. Because that has just been so hard. And at this point, even the simple stuff, like the 30 Day Challenge on DYY yoga for runners 20 min flow has the potential to mess me up.

It's such a bummer. I had a single random ski accident that wasn't my fault 12 years ago, and it's had such a massive impact on my fitness.

THROW A forking YAM IN THE OVEN ITS forking CHRISTMAS - LisaPunk

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 11:04 am 
Level 7 Vegan

Glad you are feeling better Tofulish and that you think there are some things that you can keep doing. It's good to have something positive you can do.
Someone drove into the back of my car 14 years ago, which wasn't my fault, & it still causes me problems so I know how you feel. I can't really carry any kind of bag when I go hiking as it causes me back & neck pain. Also, out of the blue, stuff I can normally do without problem can cause a flare up, lots of pain & mean that I have to stop exercising for a while.
It is really frustrating & seems so unfair sometimes.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 11:12 am 
TOTALLY CRADICAL

I love my yoga studio but it's on a busy street and there are quite a few distractions. A few months ago we were doing shivasana when a high-speed police chase screamed past the studio. Last night we were doing shivasana.... exactly at the moment the Warriors won the championships. Cue dozens of car horns, hoots and hollers, and people screaming "waaaarrioorrrrrrrs!"

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 6:39 am 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

For those of you who are like me and don't like being with other people while trying out new stuff, I'd like to recommend 'Yoga with Adriene' on Youtube. I discovered her a while ago and like how she is all about everyone finding out what works best for them and not dogmatic at all.

She has a series of videos called 30 days of yoga which I am currently doing and really enjoying. I think it's perfect for starting out, each workout is 30 minutes or shorter and will get you familiar with all the basics.

www.youtube.com/user/yogawithadriene

Anyone else here who only does yoga when they're all alone?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 4:50 pm 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

I'm a big fan of Yoga with Adriene, too! She has a lovely spirit and wonderful instruction.

Lily wrote:
Anyone else here who only does yoga when they're all alone?

I do! Well, the bulk of my practice has always been alone although I do have a regular teacher I see once a week, September through June (come June, the school where she gives classes closes for the summer). I also occasionally have a second teacher(s) through the Lotus Yoga Centre, which is a kundalini yoga centre in Toronto.

I've been doing yoga pretty much every day since January 4--I'd say I've maybe missed twenty days since then and most of that practice has been done by me alone, with a youtube or vimeo or other internet source instructional video. I love to practice alone, I also love to practice in a group. I'm leaving Monday for a weeklong Yoga retreat in the Bahamas! So that'll be a lot of group yoga and meditation which will be nice for a change, but I'm perfectly fine and self-motivated enough to keep up an enduring practice alone so either way works for me.

From 1995 when I first started doing yoga, until around 2007 or so, I never, ever even once took a yoga class. Taught myself from books and videos and practiced entirely alone like that for more than a decade. ALthough not as religiously as I do now but still...when I finally did see a teacher, I was fine, they never told me I was doing stuff all wrong or anything, so I guess it came out all right.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 1:02 am 
TOTALLY CRADICAL

I did my first full inversion with ropes tonight. It was really fun! You know, once I got over the discomfort of having a plank of wood smashed up against my pubic bone.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 3:12 am 
Not NOT A Furry

Congrats! In a perfect world, pubic bones would be made of bouncy cartilage.

I've been trying to do one of the Deepen Your Practice with Vytas DVDs every night before bed and I'm astounded by how much they've helped me. My teacher thinks my form has improved immensely and — for the first time ever — I got my feet to touch my head in forearm scorpion. Okay, it was the barest of touches, but I had never gotten closer than 2-3 inches until now.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 6:17 pm 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

You guys are my yoga heroes! I love the flexible body work and new stunts!

I'm still doing kundalini yoga and meditation nearly every day. Last week I missed four days in a row and was so happy when I could get a session in and feel like my usual relaxed self again. I'm going through a time now life-changes wise that isn't necessarily bad, but it's scary new territory, and yoga and meditation are helping me cope so much better and helping me to maintain a positive outlook and see more opportunity than fear.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 6:49 pm 
TOTALLY CRADICAL

The plank gave me bruises on my thighs! I don't mind, though. They're a reminder that yeah, I did that. And I'mma do it again. Whee! I liked the feeling that I was decompressing my spine while hanging upside down. Aaaah.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 10:11 pm 
Angrily Posting on Facebook

Went to my first hot yoga class tonight in a LONG time. I never got past the beginner stage but am determined this time to stick with it. It was a super, super hard class for me but I'm mentally hi-fiving myself because I always back out of things like these at the last minute from worrying about people staring at me and me not fitting in. I still don't think I fit in, but right now IDGAF. I'm loving my newfound carefree-almost-40 attitude.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 7:31 pm 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

^I did a hard yoga set today too and felt weird afterward. Like, I had to go lie down for an hour to integrate all the effects of it because the brief savasana wasn't enough at the end of class. Kundalini yoga can be downright trippy at times. I love it though. The overall effect on my life with doing it regularly (i.e., mostly daily) has been amazing. I rested my hip for four to five days last week just to see if I could heal it some with more rest and I feel there is improvement though I started doing yoga again the last two days because while my hip was feeling better, I was losing my calm centered self going yoga-less so I felt I needed to get back to it and just live with my hip. I did 1.5 hours each sessions each the last two days -so really testing it--and yesterday a lot of hip focus and my hip pain isn't going away completely but is better than it has been recently. Onward! My life is better with yoga in it, even if it causes me some body pain!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 5:05 pm 
Smuggling Raisins

I've been using a super cheap mat to start out with, because I didn't want to invest in a nice one until I knew I would actually enjoy and stick to practicing yoga. I've been really enjoying it though and since my mat is starting to fall apart I think it's time I finally get a decent one. It's just a bit overwhelming looking at all the options! What types do you all use/recommend? All I know is that I wouldn't want one of the thinner type ones and I'd like to keep the price reasonably down. Any suggestions?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 3:39 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

I have one of the thicker warrior mats. Mine is a beautiful orange colour although the link I sent you is for a blue one.
I've had it for years & I'm glad I got the 6mm rather than the 4mm. I love it.
http://www.yogamad.com/product/warrior- ... ga-mat-6mm

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 3:44 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

seitanicverses wrote:
^I did a hard yoga set today too and felt weird afterward. Like, I had to go lie down for an hour to integrate all the effects of it because the brief savasana wasn't enough at the end of class. Kundalini yoga can be downright trippy at times. I love it though. The overall effect on my life with doing it regularly (i.e., mostly daily) has been amazing. I rested my hip for four to five days last week just to see if I could heal it some with more rest and I feel there is improvement though I started doing yoga again the last two days because while my hip was feeling better, I was losing my calm centered self going yoga-less so I felt I needed to get back to it and just live with my hip. I did 1.5 hours each sessions each the last two days -so really testing it--and yesterday a lot of hip focus and my hip pain isn't going away completely but is better than it has been recently. Onward! My life is better with yoga in it, even if it causes me some body pain!

I tried a Kundalini yoga video by Maya Fiennes & it made me feel really poorly. I felt all light headed, faint & sick. I've never dared do it again.
Hope your hip continues to heal well.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 7:11 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Nimmy wrote:
I've been using a super cheap mat to start out with, because I didn't want to invest in a nice one until I knew I would actually enjoy and stick to practicing yoga. I've been really enjoying it though and since my mat is starting to fall apart I think it's time I finally get a decent one. It's just a bit overwhelming looking at all the options! What types do you all use/recommend? All I know is that I wouldn't want one of the thinner type ones and I'd like to keep the price reasonably down. Any suggestions?

The very best mats that I know of are Manduka mats. They are super expensive, but you will also never need another mat for the rest of your life. I have the "original black mat" for my home practice and a slightly lighter "pro mat" for taking to class. I have had the black mat for well over ten years, with nearly daily practice and it is as good as new. Same with the other mat, though I've only had it 3-4 years. I had several "eco" mats, but they all fell apart and went to hell super quickly. In the long run, I decided it was cheaper AND more "eco" to buy one mat for the rest of my life. I seriously love my Manduka mats so much.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 1:36 am 
Nailed to the V

So my gym is opening up a new "Dynamic Yoga" class. I tried to google what dynamic yoga would be like, but basically learned it's more about your emotional outlook than your flexibility...which is all good and fine, but doesn't really tell me what my experience would be like in a class.

I'd just go and try it out, but of course the time they've scheduled it is from 9:15-10:30pm. If this is not a high energy experience, I'd likely pass out in the middle (What can I say...I'm embarrassingly unable to stay up late unless VERY invigorated)

Anyone familiar with Dynamic Yoga and can tell me a little more?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 6:38 pm 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

I feel like I'm just not coordinated enough for yoga. I was trying moves for runners over the summer, but after awhile I started to like it less than pilates, aerobics, and basic stretches. I've heard mixed reviews about yoga and joint health too... I'm not sure if it's a sign of trouble when you find rougher activities preferable to yoga?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 371 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next