| FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 3:02 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 371 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
 Post subject: Re: yoga, all varieties
PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 12:17 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

AP - fellow yoga crier here. It took me for a surprise and I thought it was a one time deal, but its happened twice in two weeks, and so far only with one teacher. This is the first time I've done yoga in a studio, so the whole vibe is new to me and I'm not used to having someone talk during shavasana. I don't know, I guess something's opening up (makes sense, lots of stress and feelings lately) and it seems that once I start crying, I'm crying for like the rest of the day! But it doesn't feel bad or sad; it really is more of a cleansing/freeing feeling. Is that similar to your yoga crying experiences?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 3:28 pm 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

This lady touches on a lot of themes that seem to occur in my life that make me feel kind of...helplessly emotional? I don't necessarily feel sad when it happens, just kind of like I'm letting things out that I've been holding in. She's shaking things loose inside of me that I've been bottling up in my day to day routine. I've gotten pretty bad about not communicating when I'm upset and pushing thoughts aside and living as if everything is ok, when it is decidedly not ok. I think I'm on a road to ok-ness now, but in the depths of the not-ok, those things bubbled to the surface after particularly challenging sessions with a theme that hit home.

So I don't know if it's freeing or not, but it's probably good for me to address these things and let them out rather than hold them in forever and become a robot (which still sometimes feels preferable). And sometimes I do cry in the car on the way home after it's over, but luckily I go in the evenings, so I don't have to face the rest of my day with eyes full of tears.

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 11:21 am 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

So last night our theme in hot yoga was to try to practice the opposite of how you usually do - if you're usually a fierce warrior, try to loosen up and vice versa. I don't really know my general approach...I push myself pretty hard, but I shy away from stuff I'm afraid to do.

Anyway, we were in triangle, which I always think I get pretty alright, but she adjusted me, and it was like a whole new pose and felt so much better and stronger. She whispered in my ear, 'Don't be afraid to grow, sister.'

I love this studio.

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 1:15 pm 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

Woo at the handstand AP!!!!

I've been doing yoga daily (almost every day and/or meditating) since January 4 and I feel really incredible. Something upsetting is going on in my life right now, and no doubt about it, I'm hurting and upset about the situation but this is helping me cope. I feel calm and centered and able to stay positive and cope without the panicked desperation that I might normally have in such a sitch. Also, I've complained about lower back and hip pain for a year now--soooooo much better. 90% better, which is amazing. A greater and more dedicated committment to practicing Kundalini yoga and meditations are working their magic on me.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 3:38 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

Yay seitanicverses!!

I've been trying to go to prenatal yoga for a month now but something always comes up on the night the class is offered. Next week I marked it off in my calendar and I'm not going to let anything get in the way!

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 11:01 am 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

Has anyone ever done partner yoga? My studio is offering a Valentine's class (that you can take with a friend, not necessarily a romantic partner) and they'll be doing partner poses. It always looks so daunting to me, but I might like to try it.

Undecided!

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 12:37 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

AP, i have not practiced partner yoga, but only because over the years i have not been able to find someone to accompany me. i can tell you this, if i found a friend to join me i would totally go!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 10:38 am 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

While I don't have a *Footie-streak going, I've only missed five days of yoga and/or meditation since January 4. And even a short ten or fifteen meditation (if I don't have time for the other stuff) counts in that. Though I mostly try and do something a bit kundalini yoga-physical too as part of my routine.

*FootFace had an exercise streak going known as 'the streak' a while back if you remember from one of the general exercise type Spa threads

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 2:24 pm 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

That's awesome, SV!

I tweaked my shoulder in Thursday's class and took off Friday and Saturday. It still hurt this morning, so I texted my instructor to see if she thought it would be ok to practice with it or if I should take another day off. She recommended that I take the day off, take ibuprofen, and ice it, then check back in tomorrow. I appreciate her being so hands on. But I'm bummed about missing class and super bummed that I forked up my shoulder when I know my shoulder limitations and pushed them anyway.

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 6:22 pm 
Saggy Butt

I just started back to yoga last month! My goal is to do at least 10 minutes every day. I started Jan. 4. and so far I haven't missed a day. It is helping SO much with my anxiety. I've started taking a hatha class on Monday nights at the rec center. I'm sad I'll have to miss it tomorrow because I have a dinner thing, but I will get in my practice at home. I love Yoga with Adriene for home practice!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 2:51 pm 
Semen Strong

I've been doing yoga since the beginning of the year. I started with the DoYouYoga.com 30 day challenge and loved it so much. Erin Motz is awesome and accessible and she never made me feel like I should push harder. I have knee (no ACLs or MCLs to speak of after a ski accident 12 years ago (despite knee surgery)) and wrist issues, and I was always able to adapt the poses easily. The videos are 10- 20 minutes and you feel like you're gaining flexibility and strength. I've gone from one a day to stringing 4-6 together to do between 60 and 90 mins a day. They're perfect because I can do them whenever I get some down time and can even do them in the same room as my preschooler, as long as she is distracted or asleep. I stopped using my elliptical because she still wakes up in the middle of the night and wants to nurse, so I want to be right near her.

I just wanted to share this, because it has been so amazing for me: http://www.doyouyoga.com/course/the-30- ... challenge/

I tried branching out and doing the Jillian Micheals one because I'd heard such good things from PPKers about it. And it felt like it was thinly disguised aerobics. She's so snarky about yoga! "Okay guys, get into your ::makes airquotes with her fingers:: "Practice." That's what yoga people call exercise. Speak English guys!"

I would love some more high energy full body flows, if anyone knows some good online sources.

THROW A forking YAM IN THE OVEN ITS forking CHRISTMAS - LisaPunk

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 10:59 pm 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

Two more days and I'll be finished the 40 Day Challenge. I thought I was doing the 40 day Sadhana but that's where you devote yourself to perfecting one exercise session (called a 'kriya' in kundalini style yoga) but I wasn't doing that, I was doing different ones every day so I guess I did a 40 day yoga challenge but not a true Sadhana. Might try to do the 40 day Sadhana another time when I find a kriya I really connect with.

Mostly doing kundalini style yoga every day and once a week substituting a yin yoga session for those long, deep stretches. I feel pretty amazing overall. I don't know why I just don't do yoga every day for the rest of my life but sometimes I just don't have time for a session. Making time to do it every day for a period of time did show me what a dramatic difference it can make in my personal quality of life so hopefully I can keep up a pretty strong regular practice, remembering how positive and good I feel right now.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 11:19 pm 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

emmalv wrote:
AP - fellow yoga crier here. It took me for a surprise and I thought it was a one time deal, but its happened twice in two weeks, and so far only with one teacher. This is the first time I've done yoga in a studio, so the whole vibe is new to me and I'm not used to having someone talk during shavasana. I don't know, I guess something's opening up (makes sense, lots of stress and feelings lately) and it seems that once I start crying, I'm crying for like the rest of the day! But it doesn't feel bad or sad; it really is more of a cleansing/freeing feeling. Is that similar to your yoga crying experiences?

I had a crying experience a couple of weeks ago! It's never happened to me before. Anyway, I was doing a kundalini yoga set that was supposedly specifically designed to "release subconscious/deep seated memories" or something like that and normally, I don't place a lot of stock in kundalini theories because it sounds like a lot of woo to me--however it works psychologically/physiologically doesn't matter much to me I just know it all makes me feel great so I do it. So anyway, after doing this particular 'subconscious memory release set', I took my shower and idly started thinking of something sad from my childhood (which I usually try not to think about but it just came up then) and as I got out of the shower, all of a sudden, this torrent of tears just burst out of me and I started crying these wracking, gasping sort of sobs and crying in a way I've only cried maybe three times in my life and at times when I've been absolutely crushed or completely gutted (i.e., broken heart from breakup, someone died). It was very cathartic though. I felt released after the tears stopped. I was all...wow, this shiitake really works like it says it does.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 11:43 pm 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

Tofulish wrote:
I've been doing yoga since the beginning of the year. I started with the DoYouYoga.com 30 day challenge and loved it so much. Erin Motz is awesome and accessible and she never made me feel like I should push harder. I have knee (no ACLs or MCLs to speak of after a ski accident 12 years ago (despite knee surgery)) and wrist issues, and I was always able to adapt the poses easily. The videos are 10- 20 minutes and you feel like you're gaining flexibility and strength. I've gone from one a day to stringing 4-6 together to do between 60 and 90 mins a day. They're perfect because I can do them whenever I get some down time and can even do them in the same room as my preschooler, as long as she is distracted or asleep. I stopped using my elliptical because she still wakes up in the middle of the night and wants to nurse, so I want to be right near her.

I just wanted to share this, because it has been so amazing for me: http://www.doyouyoga.com/course/the-30- ... challenge/

I tried branching out and doing the Jillian Micheals one because I'd heard such good things from PPKers about it. And it felt like it was thinly disguised aerobics. She's so snarky about yoga! "Okay guys, get into your ::makes airquotes with her fingers:: "Practice." That's what yoga people call exercise. Speak English guys!"

I would love some more high energy full body flows, if anyone knows some good online sources.

Don't it feel great! And isn't it wonderful to see progress. Things that were hard to do early on and were big challenges become easy and you look forward to the challenge everyday.

I skimmed through a Jillian Michaels tape on youtube but it didn't look like my style--very calisthenic-ky. I like the hippie yoga with chanting and medications and physical practice all in an hour or so. (Ha, I mean "meditations" there not "medications" but I like my error so I'm leaving it).

I find tons of yoga vids on youtube and some are better than others but they all seem to be in earnest for what they are. Not familiar enough with high energy body flows particularly to recommend. Do you mean the kind where there's a lot of sun salutations and the other poses come out of that? (like ashtanga or vinyasa--but I find ashtanga yoga pretty high energy in terms of being demanding--I can't do ashtanga daily as I can't guarantee I have the energy every day to put that much into physical exercise).

To sum up: I love yoga!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 10:46 am 
TOTALLY CRADICAL

So my nearby studio started up Tuesday night classes again in February, so I have been able to go regularly again! It's a different teacher- I miss the old teacher, but I like the new one as well and have personally noticed small advances and improvements in my posture/flexibility since starting his class.

Lately I've been enjoying the hell out of shivasana. It just feels SO. GOOD. to lie there and feel how utterly wrung out and stretched and energized-yet-tired my legs feel. oh man it's so nice.

ETA: Also this new teacher has slowly started getting us into poses to prepare us for headstands, and he's even had us do a couple of headstands against the wall. Last week I did a headstand for a good 30 seconds or so. It was against the wall, but still, that's way more than I ever thought I was capable of, at least at this point in time!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 7:04 pm 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

I forgot to post this when it happened a couple of weeks ago, but am remembering after SV's story re:crying after yoga.

We got into bridge near the end of class, but it was bound with a strap around our feet. I guess we were supposed to be pulling on the strap and getting a deeper back bend, I don't remember the point of the strap being there now. Anyway, I felt very uncomfortable. I can do a full back bend, so it wasn't that. I just felt...bad. I started to hyperventilate a little. Somehow, I was able to actually calmly ask myself why I was feeling this way, and immediately a memory of a sexual assault that happened to me in high school came to mind. I haven't thought about this thing in ages, but there it was. So instead of freaking out and having a panic attack, I just came down out of the pose and layed in active rest until the panic passed. And then cried a little during shavasana.

So so weird how yoga accesses these things deep inside of us.

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 6:43 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

Warning: grumpy rant ahead. I'm away for work and went to a yoga class last night at a studio near my hotel. The class was advertised as a basic level, half flow half restorative which sounded perfect after a long day of meetings and travelling. Turns out that class had a substitute teacher who wasn't trained in restorative. Ok, that happens. But this teacher told us that because her personal practice was very intense and difficult, that was the style of class she would teach. I probably should have left then but didn't. It ended up being a really negative experience - she didn't give us any modifications and got annoyed when I modified some poses on my own, she gave me a really harsh adjustment on my shoulder that ended up hurting me, and then to top it all off she talked through the entire time we were in shivasana. I guess this last thing is also personal preference, but in my other classes shivasana is always at least mostly quiet time and I dig that. Like, I don't the teacher to constantly be telling me how relaxed I am right now and how now i should now relax my hand and imagine the light moving up my hand to my elbow so now my elbow is relaxed too etc etc. I want some peace so I can actually relax!

/end rant. I'm looking forward to going home and taking classes at my home studio.

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 3:51 am 
Nailed to the V

Awww doncherryfan, I totally feel you. I love yoga in many forms and since I mesh with many different teachers, but not with some others, I know how it feels when you end up with a class that isn't a fit for you.

My personal yoga style is usually an intense vinyasa flow, but I've tried a bit of everything. A while back, a co-worker and good friend got me a class pass to try a session with her teacher, who she LOVES and looks forward to practicing with every week, so I was super excited. I went to the class, and boring story even more boring...I HATED IT. I was absolutely miserable, couldn't get into the head I needed to at all (or the poses the way I was apparently expected to), and couldn't STAND the teacher. Which makes her no less perfect for my friend, she's just not a match for me.

We all have these experiences sometimes, but it's great knowing we've got a home studio/teacher/practice to return to, and it was a one time occurrence that's already over ;)

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 6:02 am 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

I love the concept of yoga, and have attempted classes over the years and enjoy it on my own. However, I always run into issues with classes. Often it feels like there is a sense of elitism or competition and it just turns me off. I also have issues with being touched (very bad experiences in the past) and the last yoga class I took was very hands on and I had a terrible time with anxiety when I would be physically corrected. I was too ashamed to say anything to the instructor. I lasted for three classes and quit. I didn't feel people were all that friendly there either. It was at an all yoga school that even offered certifications and degrees in teaching yoga. But so much of it felt over my head.

The other issue is simply being in my body in the present moment without distractions. Very very hard for me, who is prone to social anxiety and depression. Even simple meditation is a huge challenge.

I am also afraid of being upside down, but am working on overcoming this fear (refering to headstands, inversions etc).

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 6:06 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Have you tried yoga in a normal gym? I also have been experiences in 100% yoga schools. I also find yoga classes in gyms are a lot less esoterical a lot of the times, which I prefer.

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 12:29 pm 
TOTALLY CRADICAL

RW, I would also encourage you to look into other studios, too. I know that can be challenging (I also suffer from social anxiety and depression), but you can possibly narrow down your search through yelp reviews or other online descriptions and reviews. There's so many different styles of yoga now, and each teacher and studio has their own vibe. I personally tried out two or three studios before finding one that I really loved, and even then I only like certain teachers.

My current studio is very sensitive about only offering physical correction with consent, and with working with whatever parts of your practice need help, be it mindfulness and being present, or inversions, or balance poses (I have HORRIBLE balance). I hope you can find a studio and instructor that really fit your needs- when I did, I found yoga to be immensely helpful for me, both physically and mentally.

As for the meditation and mindfulness, I definitely struggle with that too. It's difficult to shut off your mind and just focus on physical sensation and nothing else. Very difficult. I think it's something that, like the physical aspects of yoga, just needs to be practiced and refined. It's gotten easier for me to try and be present in the moment for longer stretches of time, but it's still something I'm going to be working on as long as I do yoga. Mindfulness is just like a muscle- it's tough when you try to train it in a way it's not used to, but if you power through the initial discomfort, you can develop more power and control. Although it's something I am still working on all the time, I've found that the mindfulness I've developed in yoga helps me with my state of mind during the rest of the week when I'm not in class.

Good luck!

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 3:40 pm 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

Thanks guys for the feedback! I did once take a yoga class through a community education program and enjoyed that, although it was just an eight week course. I may just look into researching something like that again. I'm glad to know that it IS possible to enjoy yoga even with social anxiety and depression issues. I had not thought of looking at online reviews of classes either. Good point!

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 4:35 pm 
Semen Strong

Another option might be to look into online options. I started with this 30 day challenge and loved it. It might be too basic for you, but you can string a few together if you want more of a challenge and there is a thread with a lot of suggestions

http://www.doyouyoga.com/course/the-30- ... challenge/

Other recommendations:
viewtopic.php?f=26&t=33100

I hated doing yoga in public classes, just because I felt so uncoordinated and wobbly and I hate being corrected physically because I don't like being touched and I have bad knees and ankles, so I don't want to be pushed into anything that might overstrain my ligaments. I really like doing something at home where I can do as much or as little as works for me. The Erin Motz challenge was good because she offered a bunch of modifications, which were really helpful to me.

THROW A forking YAM IN THE OVEN ITS forking CHRISTMAS - LisaPunk

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 11:58 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

somehow I often feel like a voyeur in this thread. It's so interesting to read all your various experiences with different teachers and studios and class experiences and think about the fact that of those same things are happening to the people who come to my classes. Of course I am a student too - but I pretty much only ever go to my same teacher for 15+ years now, so that experience has taken on its own unique place in my life. It's actually very helpful for me to remember that people are nervous or anxious or unsure when coming to class for the first time, and that people might prefer not to be touched. I'm not a very touchy teacher - in fact many of my students wish that I would give them more adjustments - and I definitely am mindful with new students with whom I don't already have a good rapport.

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 1:53 pm 
TOTALLY CRADICAL

Realized about 2 minutes into a 3 minute shoulder stand last night that I wasn't supposed to be inverting cause I'm on my period.

Well, my uterus didn't explode, so I guess it's not the worst thing that could have happened.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 371 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next