| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:43 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 250 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: yoga, all varieties
PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:27 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

AP, I'm actually a little jealous that you got emotional. It seems like everyone I know has been there, except me! I must be a robot.

My studio is closed next week (we're getting a new floor in the hot room) so I may go to some vinyasa classes just to mix things up a little. I tried one a few months ago and it was not right for me - but I think I went to a class that was way too far out of my ability level at the time.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:37 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

This was definitely my first time getting emotional during a class. I've been going through so much shiitake (professionally, emotionally, financially, relationship-y) and the class was so rigorous, that I think it really opened me up. And then the reading was something like this:

"I saw a fly on the door latch, on its back, spinning, struggling to right itself. I though, 'I'm going to swat this fly', but then I identified with something in its struggle. How many times have I been spinning on my back, unable to right myself, unable to find my faith? I leaned forward and breathed gently towards the fly, and it righted itself and flew away. I remained, staring at the latch, hoping for the breeze that would allow me to fly." And then she started talking about faith (which, I'm not religious, but it wasn't necessarily religion-based talk) and how it means something different to all of us and how we've all lost our faith at some point, and that some person close to you said some kind words, or hugged you, or you just looked into the sun...and it was restored. And then she sent us off with the hope that we would find our breeze and be able to fly.

Honestly, I just almost cried again typing that out. It really spoke to me, as I've lost a lot of faith in myself and my abilities to cope with things lately. Still hoping for my breeze.

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:49 am 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

ack, I love those yoga moments. My teacher ends each class with a short meditation about looking into the face of a loved one and seeing their love for you radiating and to be kind to everyone including ourselves. That has had me with tears streaming down my face more than once, it just hits a nerve.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:14 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

My arms, shoulder, and chest hurt so bad. How am I ever going to make it through hot yoga again tonight? I was barely able to hold myself steady during gentle candlelight yoga last night. Hoping that by next week this soreness will pass. The thing about the 30 day challenge is that I don't really get a rest day... Although I did find out that I just have to go 30 times in 30 days. So if I double up one day, I can skip another. Might skip Sunday. Except I don't want to miss vinyasa! Yoga problems.

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:46 am 
Lime and a Coconut

Having a stiff back for three weeks apparently wasn't enough motivation as one morning when my favorite skirt wouldn't fit, and I'm finally trying a lunchtime yoga class today at a studio I've been working 4 blocks from for 2 years.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:54 pm 
Tofu Pup

Is there an untold rule that you have to have a darker color mat in class? I never seem to see flashy colors and I kinda have my eyes on one but don't want to be the crasshole with a bright color mat. There's one article on the internet that says it can cause mental disturbance?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:06 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

I've never heard that rule in my studio. People have all sorts of different color mats and I don't find it disturbing at all. If you're worried about a rule at the place you normally practice, I'd just ask.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 12:29 pm 
Asked Santa for a pony

I've never heard that, but I think it's common to have a darker mat because they don't show dirt/sweat as easily. I have a coral mat, and mine tends to be the flashiest in the room. And also the dirtiest looking!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 9:18 pm 
Shopped till she dropped

After a sad phone call from my dad, I came home crying and grieving. I found a class on Yogaglo that focused on grief, and I'm so glad I did it. I was in tears, practically sobbing for the first 15 minutes or so, but after a while I started breathing and feeling okay again. I've been neglecting my home practice for the last couple months (still going to my weekly studio class), and lately I've really been yearning for it again. I'm sad it happened in such a hard time, but I really needed yoga today, and it was there for me.

I GOT YER VAGILANTE JUSTICE RIGHT HERE. ::grabs crotch:: - DarthCupcake

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 9:21 pm 
Shopped till she dropped

missopposite wrote:
Is there an untold rule that you have to have a darker color mat in class? I never seem to see flashy colors and I kinda have my eyes on one but don't want to be the crasshole with a bright color mat. There's one article on the internet that says it can cause mental disturbance?

The studio mats at my regular place are all bright orange or pink. The mats students bring in are a variety of colors. It's your practice. It's your mat. If you love the bright one, get it! You might even inspire someone else to do the same.

I GOT YER VAGILANTE JUSTICE RIGHT HERE. ::grabs crotch:: - DarthCupcake

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 7:49 am 
Naked Under Apron

allularpunk wrote:
This was definitely my first time getting emotional during a class. I've been going through so much shiitake (professionally, emotionally, financially, relationship-y) and the class was so rigorous, that I think it really opened me up. And then the reading was something like this:

"I saw a fly on the door latch, on its back, spinning, struggling to right itself. I though, 'I'm going to swat this fly', but then I identified with something in its struggle. How many times have I been spinning on my back, unable to right myself, unable to find my faith? I leaned forward and breathed gently towards the fly, and it righted itself and flew away. I remained, staring at the latch, hoping for the breeze that would allow me to fly." And then she started talking about faith (which, I'm not religious, but it wasn't necessarily religion-based talk) and how it means something different to all of us and how we've all lost our faith at some point, and that some person close to you said some kind words, or hugged you, or you just looked into the sun...and it was restored. And then she sent us off with the hope that we would find our breeze and be able to fly.

Honestly, I just almost cried again typing that out. It really spoke to me, as I've lost a lot of faith in myself and my abilities to cope with things lately. Still hoping for my breeze.

that's a beautiful reading, AP. i almost teared up reading it. during the yoga immersion month at the shala one of the teachers is sending out "working with the mind" emails biweekly. they're exercises of the mind to practice with throughout our lives, should we want to. one of this week's was about working with and observing (rather than getting caught up in and creating a story) uncomfortable feelings. at the end of the email there was a quote she wanted to share and i wanted to share it here as well, it reminded me of your reading.

“How could we forget those ancient myths that stand at the beginning of all races – the myths about dragons that at the last moment are transformed into princesses? Perhaps all the dragons in our lives are only princesses waiting for us to act, just once, with beauty and courage. Perhaps everything that frightens us is, in its deepest essence, something helpless that wants our love.

So you must not be frightened if a sadness rises before you larger than any you’ve ever seen, if an anxiety like light and cloud shadows moves over your hands and everything that you do. You must realize that something has happened to you; that life has not forgotten you; it holds you in its hands and will not let you fall. Why do you want to shut out your life any uneasiness, any miseries, or any depressions? For after all, you do not know what work these conditions are doing inside you.” –Rainer Maria Rilke

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 8:22 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

happyfaced wrote:
“How could we forget those ancient myths that stand at the beginning of all races – the myths about dragons that at the last moment are transformed into princesses? Perhaps all the dragons in our lives are only princesses waiting for us to act, just once, with beauty and courage. Perhaps everything that frightens us is, in its deepest essence, something helpless that wants our love.

So you must not be frightened if a sadness rises before you larger than any you’ve ever seen, if an anxiety like light and cloud shadows moves over your hands and everything that you do. You must realize that something has happened to you; that life has not forgotten you; it holds you in its hands and will not let you fall. Why do you want to shut out your life any uneasiness, any miseries, or any depressions? For after all, you do not know what work these conditions are doing inside you.” –Rainer Maria Rilke

That's lovely, thank you for sharing.

I'm going twice again today. My arms feel slightly less horrible each day, although as I was going through my vinyasa last night, it felt like my chest was ripping apart. Ouch. I'm taking tomorrow off. Since I doubled up on Wednesday and again today, it won't affect my challenge results.

I've been gently trying to get T to do some yoga with me. I just really feel like he would sleep so much better if he did it. He agrees and has even said he wants to come to some classes, but he did a class once (like, 10 years ago) that really kicked his butt and now he's afraid he won't be able to do it at all. He keeps telling me he'll go once he gets into better shape. Dude, the yoga will get you into shape! He's such a macho guy, though, I really think he's just afraid of looking silly in front of a bunch of women who are bendier than him. I mean, I know that's not what it's about and no one would be judging him, but that's how he sees it, I'm pretty sure.

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 9:34 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

AP - There are a bunch of big, muscular dudes who practice at my studio. I have a yoga friend who has been mistaken as an NFL player/MMA fighter. Yoga is for everyone! I hope he gives it a try!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 10:57 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

Oh, yeah, he knows all that. I've told him about the guys in my classes, and how they just slog through it with the rest of us, no big deal. I think he's just worried about being embarrassed, which would only be in his head because no one cares what anyone else is doing. I'll keep working on it! He doesn't go in much for the zen stuff like I do, but I do think that it would relax him a ton. Which he desperately needs.

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:47 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

I know that I'm blowing this thread up right now, but I'm going through a lot of yoga experiences at the moment, sorry! Last night I attended a class that I really did not like. This is the description of the class online:

Quote:
Power Through Monday demystifies the myth that in order to do yoga one must be flexible. Designed for all levels, from channel surfers to the seasoned athlete, Power Through Monday provides a full body workout, including core strengthening. A great overall workout or supplement to current cross-training plans, and a great way to start your week!

First up, it doesn't mention anything about it being heated, which it was. The man teaching it was just...not my type of person, I guess. He reminded me of Dr. Oz. There was no focus on the breath whatsoever, which I need especially when a class is highly challenging. And boy, was this class challenging. It says it's for all levels (and I'd say I'm intermediate), but he didn't offer any alternate options for when shiitake got mega hard. It's not 'all levels' when you just say, 'You might not be able to do this!' when you tell us to do something really hard...like, give me an option, dude. There were all these sequences where we went from plank to holding half a push up from an inch off the ground 5 or 6 times in a row, and I just couldn't do it, so I held plank the whole time. At the end of one of those, he said, 'Don't worry, ladies, all these strong guys will be humbled in just a little bit!' Uh... And what he decided humbled them was a super intense series of lunge and balance positions. I don't know, it just didn't vibe with me. Add that to the fact that he hardly looked at me before or after class, when I was trying to make eye contact because I was a new student, and meh. I will probably go again just because of the 30 day challenge (I don't see myself going to the 7am Monday class, realistically, and the 5pm class I could attend is for beginners and I'm fairly sure I'd get bored), but if I stick with this studio, I won't be attending his classes anymore.

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:54 am 
WELFARIST!

^Yeah, I don't like the sounds of that experience, either, allular. I probably wouldn't go back to such a class. I think an ideal yoga class should be a balance of challenge and relaxation and a nice mix of standing and floor stretches--and sometimes I really just want more relaxation. I had a lovely, challenging yoga class last night that the instructor called "yin and yang" and was also very relaxing. It was a set focused mainly on hip openers. I find hip openers to be the most powerful stretches for releasing emotions. Like if I ever felt like crying in yoga class (not in a bad way - in a releasing way) it would probably be from a hip opener sequence.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:11 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

That class that I almost cried in last week focused on hip openers! It's funny, that dude's wife is the one who teaches the regular hot yoga classes that I really enjoy. She's the bees knees. Super challenging, but offers alternate poses and focuses a lot on the breathing. Plus, it's like she knows when we've had enough and are pushed to our limits and will do more inactive poses focusing on stretching and breathing after a seriously hard set of poses. His was all 'go go go!'. I kind of felt like I was going to cry after his class, too, but not in a positive, refreshed kind of way...more of a disappointed, exhausted kind of way.

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:37 am 
WELFARIST!

allularpunk wrote:
I kind of felt like I was going to cry after his class, too, but not in a positive, refreshed kind of way...more of a disappointed, exhausted kind of way.

Yeah, I don't think that's good. Yoga should always be uplifting somehow or releasing in a positive way.

I love yoga instructors who say the right things at the right time, give good cues and instruction/demonstration and offer modification for all levels and I, too, like frequent reminders about breathing.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 12:21 pm 
Asked Santa for a pony

allularpunk, everything about that sounds really awful! The sexist language too, ugh.

I also hate when teachers surprise you with a heated class at a regular studio. Not cool!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 12:31 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

I'm just about halfway through my 30 day challenge! After this evening, I'll have done 15 classes in 14 days. Whee! My muscles aren't nearly as sore anymore (thank goodness), but I do think that I may have hyperextended my shoulders. I had a problem with that in high school from swimming, and they're feeling the same way now. It hurts the worst in down dog, which of course is the pose you kind of do most in yoga! Going to try and take it easy this week.

Also, last night my dude gave me the coolest complement. He said that when I come straight to his house from yoga, I'm the most beautiful he's ever seen me, and that I glow. D'aw.

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 2:27 pm 
Asked Santa for a pony

YOU GUYS! I got into headstand on my own for the first time yesterday!!! I was in it for a grand total of 3 seconds before ungracefully coming out of it, but still! My teacher yelled "congratulations" and gave me a hug when I told her.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 2:51 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

Awesome!

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:38 pm 
Tofu Pup

Lately I have been loving my hot yoga vinyasa class. Anyone suggest a particular mat? My hands and feet slide so much on the one i am using now.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:42 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

I need a new mat as well because mine is super slippery. What I've been doing in the meantime is put a towel at the front of my mat for my hands, so I don't slip and bust my face. My feet don't get as slippery.

I can no longer push my shoulders to do binds if I don't want excruciating pain, so I've been holding back a bit in my classes. Oh well. I'm still loving all of it, though. Although my new goal for hot yoga is to not cry at the end of every class. Sheesh. It's just so intense and then she reads the best readings and it just kills me. I was in an awful mood yesterday and she even said I looked upset...then she starts the class with talking about getting out of unhealthy relationships, be it a friendship, family member, or whathaveyou. Then this super intense class, then at the end she said, 'People either inspire you or they drain you.' Gah. Tears city. When the lights went up, the lady beside me was in tears as well, and my friend came over from across the room (also teary) and hugged me. I never knew yoga could be so emotional!

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 3:01 pm 
Asked Santa for a pony

I have a Manduka Eko mat and I love it. I know they just released a newer version that purports to be even less slippery. I sort of remember it being a bit slick at first, but after a few weeks of breaking it in it was perfect. I notice a huge difference between my mat and the mats and my yoga studio.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 250 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next