| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:51 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 270 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: yoga, all varieties
PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 1:29 pm 
Tofu Pup

Hi, I just fold up a Gaiam when I am traveling. I haven't had a problem folding it up in a suitcase. It seems to travel best when not smooshed in the center of the suitcase. I open it up when I arrive and it is in good enough shape by the time I practice. (I think it is the basic purple one that Gaiam is selling on their site labeled 68 inch yoga essentials mat.)

I love my Manduka, but it isn't the least bit travel friendly. (I will take it on road trips, that's it.)

I have yet to talk to anyone willing to vouch for anything that is labeled a travel mat. It seems like travel mats are all about grip, not at all about cushion. I want both.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 1:57 pm 
Asked Santa for a pony

NicoleH wrote:
I have yet to talk to anyone willing to vouch for anything that is labeled a travel mat. It seems like travel mats are all about grip, not at all about cushion. I want both.

The Gaiam travel mat I bought last year had absolutely no grip! Every time I move my feet the entire thing shifts around and scrunches up. It's basically worthless.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 2:28 pm 
Tofu Pup

Nebraskalaska wrote:
NicoleH wrote:

The Gaiam travel mat I bought last year had absolutely no grip! Every time I move my feet the entire thing shifts around and scrunches up. It's basically worthless.

With the exception of the cheapie Gaiam that I will pack in a suitcase, I am not a fan of Gaiam's products. I haven't tried any of their mats that are marketed as travel friendly.

A studio I practice at was recommending the Manduka eko Lite for travel the last time I asked. (It was redesigned fairly recently, so I don't know if the studio is still selling it as travel friendly.) It really doesn't look like it would be a good option for folding. I suspect that the eko Lite was suggested for travel based on its weight (4 lbs.) compared to the Pro (allegedly only 7 lbs., some days I swear it feels closer to 20 lbs.).

I've talked to a couple of people about the Jade travel mat. Neither recommended it.

A disclaimer on using the cheapie Gaiam for travel; I assume that the cruise would be doing maybe a vinyasa, hatha, maybe a lightish power style. I personally wouldn't want to use it for ashtanga or something very vigorous. I don't think it would have the stability I am used to, so I'd be a bit too paranoid.

I need to come up with something new myself for suitcase travel. I'm using the cheapie purple Gaiam in the backseat of my car to help keep my dog from sliding about.

Veering off the topic of travel mats, truly the dumbest yoga-related purchase I've made is this Gaiam mat: http://www.gaiam.com/sol-premium-grip-y ... id=3010400 . In the spirit of being honest about how dumb the purchase was, I think the price was higher when I bought it than it is today. I imagine it has to be right for some type of practice, I'm just not sure what that might be.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 3:02 am 
Tofu Pup Forever

This thread has inspired me to restart regular yoga. One of my bffs is a yoga teacher and I used to go a couple of times a week to hers plus bikram and it was great. Since she moved cities I've barely done anything. I've got a 9 month old and am so tight and sore from breastfeeding, Co sleeping and general mothering. The past few days I've done a neck stretch series on do yoga with me website. It's not a proper class, but it will help me get to a physical and mental place to have daily yoga. I'm aiming for 30 minutes every day while she sleeps.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 9:50 am 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

I don't know what your style of travel is...but I've been traveling with my "cheapo" purple Gaiam mat for years. On my backpacking trips, I put the mat in the side pouch of the 80liter backpack, buckle it in, and check it. When traveling with a suitcase, I bring a smaller backpack on the plane, which I'm also able to buckle the mat to the side of. I've never had an issue, and traveling with a mat has led me to have a lot of pretty great conversations about yoga practice with flight attendants, security personnel, and fellow travelers alike.

Also, I've been using a "cheapo" basic gaiam mat with a yogitoes skidless towel on top for 6 years of regular yoga now, running the range from meditative to vigorous power flows. The mat has traveled to 4 different continents with me, and has gone camping, sailing, and seen indoor and outdoor practice...and it's still holding its own. I swear I didnt pay more than $20 for it.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:56 pm 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

I have to apologize in advance for not reading this thread in its entirety. Does yoga get any easier? I've taken about 10 classes in my entire life, and while I love the physical and mental benefits, I have the hardest time doing downward dog. I can literally hold the pose for maybe 45 seconds, then my arms/wrists totally give out on me. I've always been out of shape and have a weak upper body. I just want to know that if I keep pursuing yoga, it will eventually become doable for me, because I really want to love it, and it seems that downward dog is the foundation for a majority of the yoga poses.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:13 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

Down Dog is really prevalent in certain kinds of yoga (vinyasa, for one) and unused in others. I have heard from friends that enjoy vinyasa (I'm a bikram girl, myself) that consistent practice did help with upper body strength.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:07 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

If you let the teacher know that you are having a rough time with downward dog they will probably be able to offer some suggestions/adjustments to help. It might just be a pose that doesn't work for you, but I bet there are ways you can make it more comfortable.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 12:17 pm 
Asked Santa for a pony

It definitely gets easier. I couldn't hold down dog for very long when I first started, but now it's a resting posture for me.

Like Nicole said, consistency is the key. I think that if you stuck with it 3+ times a week you would see really fast results. I saw a huge amount of improvement in a really short period of time when I started practicing daily.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 1:48 pm 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

Thanks guys. I really love everything else about yoga, esp corpse and child pose :)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 2:59 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

Hi, I'm new to yoga but are really liking it. I go to yoga classes at my gym, that is a really big one and offers a lot of different gym classes, so it's definitely not specialiced in yoga. Their yoga is hatha-based, and are either on level 1 or 2. There's a lot of different teachers, so they all have their own variations on their classes. Some are more challanging to me and some more relaxing. I'm really stiff and don't have a lot of strenght, especially in my upper body, so most poses are kind of challanging. I try to go at least twice a week but would really love to go 3 or more times.

I wish there was more specialized classes avaliable but the options seems fairly small in this town.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:58 am 
Sick of Cupcakes

I decided that my life path is to get teacher training in yoga and get a certificate so I can teach! I want to get people into yoga that might not otherwise get the opportunity: no funds, fear of yoga, physical limitations... I am trying to save up the $3,000+ to do it. Does anyone have their certificate? What was it like getting it?

Oh - travel yoga! When we stayed at Kimpton in SF they provided us with yoga mats and streaming yoga DVDs/on demand yoga workouts. I wish more places did that! In two weeks we are going to stay at another hotel (not a kimpton), I want to bring our mats but at the same time leaving our car around town with stuff inside makes me worried it will get broken into...Maybe the hotel gym has mats. I was also thinking of booking a class around town - but my schedule is not set in stone yet.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 12:21 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

Hi Missmuffcake - I am a yoga teacher. I got my first certification about 15 years ago from a place called The White Lotus Foundation in Santa Barbara. It was a 2-week intensive course. I also did a 1-year course with my teacher (Kofi Busia), but he didn't offer certifications, which was fine with me. Do you have a teacher or a system of yoga that particularly resonates with you? That's really helpful for selecting a teachers training program.

These days lots of places do teacher training programs, so as long as you can scrounge up the money and have the time, getting the certificate is probably not too hard. Some places require follow up work - like you have to assistant teach a certain number of times, and then teach sample classes, and things like that. I understand that many people do the whole program, but never complete the follow-up work, and (therefore) never actually become certified.

Teaching the less advantaged is a wonderful calling and there are programs around doing this sort of work. Lots of prisons or jails have community-volunteer yoga programs, and there are organizations like niroga.org that bring yoga to other non-traditional venues. It's such a great thing to do.

Just so you know, teaching yoga isn't a big money maker. After 15 years of teaching, I am pretty established and have about 10-25 people in every class (pretty good for my small community), and I make a modest income. And if you are hoping to teach under-served communities, this will definitely fall into the volunteer side of things (not to discourage you!).

In general, teaching yoga is totally wonderful. It can be super energizing, and also it can be quite draining. It's a lot of energy output, and people give a lot and also expect a lot from you. It's good to establish very clear personal boundaries about what you are willing and able to share and what parts of your self and your energy you need to protect. I think the most important thing is to really love people and to really, really love yoga... to know what you want to teach and why you want to teach it.

<3 <3 <3 that's just my 2 cents!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 2:36 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

Thank you for insight. I have been looking around town and there are few studios that offer the training cert. The one closest to me seems like a good fit. It is a weekend of course work/foundation then the rest you can work around your schedule. I like things that are flexible.

Income is nice, but giving back is even nice-er! I have not seen many sliding scale yoga places - none in my town. I would like to bring that in. Actually this spring/summer I am going to try & host weekend morning yoga backyard retreats. I want friends to come and chill on their mats in my back yard and take some time to reflect. I was going to ask for donations - that way I can stock the closet with extra mats and stuff for people that might just pop up.

I got into yoga after hating my body for so long. After being in special ed PE in school and not being coordinated yoga seemed so out of my comfort zone. I started kundalini yoga and moved on from there. Yoga has made me a better person on so many levels. I was telling a pal about yoga love and we started complaining that some yoga centers around town did not fit in with our 'want to shine' way of thinking. That lead me to want to look into teaching yoga/bringing yoga to people that would otherwise shy away...

I want to bring yoga to the misfits that feel that the don't fit in! Together we can all fit in!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:49 am 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

I haven't done yoga in about ten years (took a few classes of Kundalini Yoga but didn't like all the meditation). Today I figured I'd give it a try and followed a youtube video (by Esther Ekhart). It was fun! And I'm really stiff (not surprising since I sit still all day and run for exercise). When I'm at home studying I go crazy from just sitting still all day, so I can see this being a good thing to do for a break.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:07 am 
Sick of Cupcakes

did some am flexibility yoga + some rodney ye core work...pm is going to be stress release.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:31 pm 
Asked Santa for a pony

Missmuffcake, I think sliding scale and non-profit studios are awesome! You should go on a yoga tour of Austin! I felt like every other studio there had something like that going on; you could probably get some good ideas from all the different spaces. I wound up taking classes at a non-profit studio called Sanctuary Yoga run by the Daya Foundation, which was really nice.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 4:38 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

Nebraskalaska wrote:
Missmuffcake, I think sliding scale and non-profit studios are awesome! You should go on a yoga tour of Austin! I felt like every other studio there had something like that going on; you could probably get some good ideas from all the different spaces. I wound up taking classes at a non-profit studio called Sanctuary Yoga run by the Daya Foundation, which was really nice.

There are a few here - just not in my area. One that speaks to me is Yoga Punks, they are breaking down the yoga wall. They are based in SF - I am going to try to make it to a class. There is a dance class in Oakland that is donation based. At the end of each class they can take organic fruit from a table for a snack...Those things make me happy for the world!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 8:59 am 
WELFARIST!

I've been doing more yoga lately, trying to help a nagging, chronic injury (just right side of lower body--back, hip, leg, knee, even foot--kind of chronically out of whack and flaring these last few months) and it's not helping drastically but it's helping me stay supple and not get so stiff and at least feel better and more mobile. I do kundalini style every Wednesday night (classes) and have some DVDs to practice at home. Last night, I did Karen Voight's Yoga Sculpt, which is more I guess you'd call it deriving from vinyasa flow with some matwork at the end--I feel any style of yoga is beneficial and I like trying them all. I'm gonna try and keep this up--more yoga in my life.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 12:48 pm 
Asked Santa for a pony

I got into full wheel this morning for the first time! I'm super excited.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 1:08 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

awesome, Nebraskalaska! That is such a wonderful pose!!! It's so exciting to reach milestones like that and see it as such a tangible marker of all the time and effort and focus you've put in.

how great!

I'm in the middle of teaching a 6 week course on the second chapter of the Yoga Sutra - it's very fun and extremely interesting and also ALL CONSUMING. It is literally all I do other than teach, sleep, feed myself. I have two more lectures to go, and then I will be able to enjoy the sweet freedom of actually ruminating more deeply on all this glorious material.

Then, I'm leading a yoga retreat in mid-May, which should be lots of fun!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 1:51 pm 
Asked Santa for a pony

ameyfm wrote:
Then, I'm leading a yoga retreat in mid-May, which should be lots of fun!

I want to go on a yoga retreat with you!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 2:19 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

that would be so fun!!!
<3

here's the link if you're actually interested:
http://yogawithamey.com/retreat.html

retreats are so special - such a nice chance to relax and to delve more deeply into yoga practice. I always include things like pranayama, chanting, philosophy discussion, in addition to the postures. Generally in my weekly classes, we don't do much of all that other good stuff... but all together it makes for such a full experience of yoga. :)

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 6:39 am 
Prefers Jar Jar Binks over Han Solo

Last week I tried an Ashtanga yoga class, after doing Hata yoga for two years - I am still hurting! It was good, but so so hard (it was also an advanced class but they had no beginners class that day). However I decided to start attending the beginners classes once a week on top of the regular Hata yoga classes I do already. Hopefully I will improve quickly!

And today I have booked the Yoga Retreat in Greece with the teachers from my Hata yoga classes, I went last year and it was wonderful! Looking forward to it (although it's only in October)!

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 3:55 pm 
Writes Vegan Haiku

Hello all! OK- so i found a wai lana shoulder stretch using a bandana. You walk your hands to each other behind your back using it then slowly bring your top elbow down till its horizontal to the floor. She wiggles back and forth and such too.. Anyways- my arm starts tingling and actually "falling asleep" when i do this. Is that normal?? Any advice?? It feels great sometimes-but if i hold it for too long it turns into a million ants crawling around!

Another note-I can finally bring my heels to the floor in downward facing dog and can hold the dancer for more than a coupla seconds! YAY!

Only been doin about 30 mins 1st thing in the morning. I tend to snack and eat too much durin the day to feel comfortable doing a routine. Anybody else have this problem before? I'd <3 to do more than just my mornings.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 270 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next