| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:30 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Boxing - training + nutrition
PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:07 am 
Frees Bunny Slippers

Big sis is in a boxing match in 7 weeks, and I'm helping her train when she's not at the gym (she now only refers to me as "Coach" or "Giles"). She's doing pretty good, and I've been reading a few boxing training books to help her, but I wondered if anyone can give me some extra tips on:
* Really good training techniques/regimes, especially for women, for improving strength of punch, speed + agility, and generally not getting hit whilst hitting the other girl lots...
* Nutrition. She already eats REALLY well, always has complex carbs before training and protein after (she's invented the "Proteingasm"), but I wondered if anyone can suggest any super-Popeye-making recipes/foods that are especially good for a small, very very active woman who needs to increase muscle mass/strength.

Overall I'm pretty confident of her (she's worried that her opponent weights 20lb more than her, but I reminded her than at least 5lb of this is fake boobs), but if I can make her into an unbeatable fighter, that would be pretty ace :-)

Cheers.

Post subject: Re: Boxing - training + nutrition
PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:33 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I will send this onto my coworker, she is a boxer and will probably have some good tips!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:45 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

This may seem like an odd question, but I'm assuming she has a real boxing trainer who is helping her prepare? Is that what you meant about "at the gym"?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:00 pm 
Frees Bunny Slippers

Yes, she has both boxing classes and one-on-one lessons, I'm just helping to supplement that. Every bit of training is extra goodness.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:17 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

In that case, I think the best support you can give her is as a cheerleader and a personal chef, so she doesn't have to worry about cooking when she's exhausted.

A book can't really give you the eye needed to see any of your sister's strengths or weaknesses, and could even contradict things she's being taught at the gym. The best thing she can do to prepare is to spar as much as she possibly can. Nothing replaces the experience of time in the ring. Ideally, her coaches should be pairing her with someone more advanced, who can recognize when to push her and when to back off, who can see her mistakes and react accordingly, and who has the patience to not get caught up in the adrenaline and start a street brawl with a unexperienced fighter, which is what often happens when you have two unexperienced fighters sparring together.

If you're capable, a roadwork buddy is always helpful, or you could ride a bike alongside her. I'm assuming she doesn't need to worry about making weight, in which case, she can pretty much eat whatever her normal, healthy diet is, perhaps even in larger quantities to make up for increased training. Complex carbs like sweet potatoes and quinoa are training's best friend, along with lean proteins, and of course plenty of vegetables, fruit, and water. If she has other things in her life to worry about that you could help with, like chores or errands, that could help her focus mentally on training. And emotional support is always welcome.

Good luck to both of you!