| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:54 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: One Hundred Push Ups
PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:01 am 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

http://hundredpushups.com/

i did a search and found a post or two about, but no actual discussion, so i thought id start a thread.

i stumbled onto it while reading up on different C25k programs. it sounded like a good, stuctured, and relatively easy way to get into an upper body routine.

the idea is simple enough. to start you basically just do as many push ups as you can. that give you a baseline, then you look at a chart and see where you should start off. its three days a week, about 10 min a session. so about 30 minutes a week. plus, its free! not bad, right?

i did the test last week and did Day 1 yesterday. i was still sore from the initial test and was a little worried it was going to kill, but i got through without dropping dead and i feel pretty good today.

anyone up for trying it out? we could post our results here to keep a log of what we are up to and maybe help motivate each other.

Post subject: Re: One Hundred Push Ups
PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:06 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Ooooh I tried that last year, then I flaked. (Boo.)
I feel I should give it another go, though. Doing the initial test after work!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:58 am 
Double double, toil and trouble

Thanks for this-- I'm starting soon! Also, I can't do any regular pushups, so I'm starting from nothing!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:19 am 

very welcome. im rooting for you both.

do the knee push ups if needed. something interesting about that. the demo on the site shows knees down but feet up. i didn't realize they should or could be done that way. thought it was feet down. dunno if theres any real difference though. it should hurt either way if you're getting down low enough.

-
(and chop_socky, go check out the Twin Peaks thread in the Library when you get a sec. i posted a 20th anniversary update)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:31 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I started this a year or so ago...I think I quit in week 2!

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:10 pm 
Wears Pleather Undies

My husband and two of our friends did this. They loved it. They were successful. I would be semi interested but I hate pushups. And I'm doing p90x right now for the first time, which is practically like a pushup program anyway.. but regardless, I was kind of shocked at the results. It's a good program if you stick with it.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:15 pm 
Chard Martyr

I did two solid days of this. Amazing, I know.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:54 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

vectoranalysisgo wrote:
And I'm doing p90x right now for the first time, which is practically like a pushup program anyway..

yes, p90x is push up city!
I started my first round of p90x only able to do 20 push ups on my knees, and by the start of my second round I could do 32 'regular' push ups. I'm now 4 weeks away from finishing that round so am curious to see how much I will have progressed [if any].

sorry, this is not about the 100 push up challenge... but good luck to those who are thinking of starting it!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:31 pm 

yeah i wouldnt suggest combining this with the p90 thing. hah. for the rest of you, thats what this thread is for! maybe consider starting again. never too late, right?

im moving on to W1 Day 2 in the morning. had my day of rest. still a bit sore in the chest and actually feel a bit in my abdomen. that says something about how in shape my midsection is i guess. feels good though.

hopefully we can stick with the program. i think it really helps how its structured and layed out. the way the reps are broken down really seems to help in pusing what you are capable of doing. as opposed to just doing a bunch of push ups and stopping when you get tired.

Day 2 and 3 should be fine. the end of week test will probably hurt though!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:59 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Okay, so I'm really out of shape. I managed to do ten regular pushups (I feel this need to do "real" ones, not the knee pushups - it might not be clever, but I'm stubborn!), and then out of curiosity I did the initial test for the sit-ups, and I did 36 of those before I decided to stop because it was seriously getting uncomfortable. (I might have eked out a couple more, but then I might just have collapsed). I feel okay today, so those two things are going to be my workout for the next weeks. I'm in column 2 for both things, but I'm starting the sit-ups programme at week 3.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 4:42 am 

ten regular push ups aint nothin to sneeze at. good work! no reason to use the knees if you dont need to. just make sure to get all the way down there.

yeah about sit ups... i guess i should try some of those too. i hate them though, always have. kills my back, just feels very uncomfortable to do. ugh.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 7:01 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I can't run because of my damaged discs, but the sit-ups feel fine if I do them on something like a yoga mat!
(Of course my abs say "nooooo, *fine* feels different!" but you know what I mean. Besides I kind of like the feeling you get when you realize that what you're doing is having an effect on a certain group of muscles.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:17 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I did this and got up to 40 and then I lost interest.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 4:03 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

Just signed up on the site to give this a try. Initial test completed and looking forward to Day 1. Have been looking for a body weight programme and this looks right up my street.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:20 pm 
Saggy Butt

I don't feel ready for the push ups yet but I am doing the 200 sit ups program!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:11 am 

W1D2 today. felt good! that extra amount of rest time between reps really helped, a lot.

after the initial reps, i think the base was 12 minimum - max in the column im doing. i made it to 16, but by the time i hit 10 i was tired as hell. those last 6 were killer. almost didnt eek out that last one.

my neck had some kind of crick in it after, but i stretched after i cooled down and it went away. i feel good now though, minimal soreness.

looking forward to day 3 on Friday.

molly wrote:
I did this and got up to 40 and then I lost interest.

40 what? without stopping? why'd you lose interest?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:37 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I sort of figured, okay, this program apparently works because I can do 40 pushups in a row now so I can definitely get to 100. So it kind of removed the challenge, in a weird way? I just didn't really see the point of continuing. HA. It should be noted that the only exercise I have ever been able to stick to in my life is running and that's because I absolutely love the way it makes me feel. If I don't have a really immediate, noticeable benefit I have a hard time staying committed.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:29 am 

Gotcha thanks.

Ok w1d3 today. Got up to 17 max after the initial reps. 61total non consecutive.

I forgot there is no wweek end test this week, so I get 2 days rest.

Anyone still with me?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:31 am 
Asked Santa for a Hoveringdog

This sounds interesting. Maybe I'll start it since I remember reading about it a couple of years ago and then not doing it.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:02 pm 
Memorized Veganomicon

I might get in on this.. been doing couch to 5k on the wii fit actually.. Don't ask.
but something to do on the inbetween days this could be cool.
-D

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 3:31 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

I should go back to this. I did two weeks of it, then left it for a few weeks as I had so much other stress on. (I know, exercise is helpful when you're stressed.) I can't even do one full press up, but I do them with my hands on my desk, so the same motion as a full press up but needing to exert less force.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 4:23 am 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

Did day one yesterday, it felt good. Got to 25 after the initial reps, hopefully will see some good results from this.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 8:54 pm 
Bought A BRAND NEW CAR!

I might suggest women do it twice as slow or do it all knees first time around because when I was doing it in the past I started out fairly high but had to repeat like 3 times for a set because my body just wouldn't progress at the way they seem to think. My ex gf permanently forked up her shoulder because it progressed so fast.

Maybe its just our experiences but I really think its designed for men, not women and really isn't directly applicable the way it is. They should figure out a way to alter it for women besides just repeating it more.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:49 am 

yay more people!

started W2 today. could only make it to the min after the initial reps. so i did one more total than the last day of W1. barely made that last one too.

not sure if it was because they ramped it up this week or not, but i was not well most of the weekend. guess ill find out on W2D2.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 4:04 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

Day three complete and am loving it, feels like I'm using muscles that I've never used (only ever used gym resistance machines until recently)