| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:21 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Rebounding =)
PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 7:49 pm 
Tofu Pup

Has anyone tried the rebounding method of exercise? Well, I guess that makes it sound incredibly serious and official, what I mean is the mini trampoline. =) I just ordered one from Amazon and it should be here Wednesday but I am super excited (my boyfriend has promised to come over and assemble it... yes it needs assembly haha... as soon as it gets here because I am FREAKING out with excitement). Anyway I think I have exhausted my google results and was wondering if anyone has had any real life success with them? NASA says its the best thing since sliced bread... I am way too excited about this! =)

Post subject: Re: Rebounding =)
PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:29 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

We did this in gym class in elementary school, and it was so much fun. If I had space for a mini-trampoline in my dorm room (yeah right. . . ), I would try it again in a heartbeat (no pun intended. . . okay, pun intended. . . ya know, like, how exercise gets your heart beating?).

I only vaguely remember it, so I can't be that helpful about it. Good luck, and keep us posted on how you like it!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 7:12 am 
Ninja Master

There's a class at my gym, urban rebounding. It's forking hard work!

Make up blog: http://love-lipstick.blogspot.com
Food blog: http://alienontoast.blogspot.com
FB Page for both blogs: http://www.facebook.com/lipstickontoast

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:14 am 
WELFARIST!

I liked it but even the advanced vids weren't strenuous enough for my fitness level, but I've always been one to keep quite fit. I'd work up a sweat though and breathe harder. It's very gentle on your body--not hard on the joints at all which is nice and low impact. Also, you need a really good sports bra for the up and down motion. Even if you have small boobs, as I do. It's fun and different. I got rid of my rebounder when I moved but only because I knew there was a fitness room here and the people below me at my old apartment complained when I used it, so I got a carpet to place under it and that was fine, but I didn't want to get any carpets here, so I got rid of it.

I wonder if I did it at a gym it would be more difficult. Or it could be the routines I got weren't challenging enough...

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:38 am 
Ignore this!

I don't understand how it's low impact if there's lots of up and down movement requiring a good sports bra? But, I know almost nothing about rebounding, I should probably google it.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 6:51 am 
Asked Santa for a Hoveringdog

I have one of these and I love it. I bought it after I broke my leg, as something low-impact that I could use to try and get myself back in shape since I was laid up for so long, and when I got my cast off, it was Feb and I wasn't about to go outside where it was cold/snowy/icy and risk hurting myself again.

My only complaint is that the videos that came with mine were a little cheesy, or at least one of the people in the video was, but other than that I thought it was fun and something good to have in my rotation for days when I couldn't get outside or wanted something not so jarring. Now that you have me thinking about it, I may start using it again.

What video's do you have? I'm really tempted to buy some more, but I don't know if they're worth it or not. The yoga one and the dance one look like they could be fun, though.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 6:57 am 
Saggy Butt

I liked it. Of course I would have much preferred a giant trampoline and doing flips. I really like activities that I would have enjoyed as a kid though. The fun makes the effort worth it.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 7:09 am 
Seagull of the PPK

we have one! it's greatly loved but not used that often. we use it as a stress killer- you're PO'd, go jump. We haven't used it as a dedicated exercise appliance yet. What are you supposed to do, just turn up the music and bounce? (we didn't get any videos with ours, sadface....)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:16 am 
WELFARIST!

Nummers wrote:
I don't understand how it's low impact if there's lots of up and down movement requiring a good sports bra? But, I know almost nothing about rebounding, I should probably google it.

It's low impact because it's a soft landing--no hard surface landing shocks for the body to absorb so it's very easy on the joints.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:23 am 
WELFARIST!

I still remember the day my landlord came to the door to complain about the noise of my trampoline and asked what I was doing and I said "oh, sorry for the disturbance, I was just bouncing on my trampoline," and there was this shock on her face like "what!" and she looked around my place wildly for a moment as if she thought I was hiding a giant trampoline in there. I think she first thought I meant the kind of trampoline where you do backflips, lawlz. Believe me if I could have a giant trampoline in my apartment, I'd be flipping out on it all day. A giant trampoline and a disco ball as a chandelier. This is my dream living room decor, seriously. And a swimming pool as my bathtub. At heart, I'm still nine years old.

Torque, I had the Urban Rebounder DVD set and some other rebounding vids I got off fitness sources/websites online. If you google "rebounding DVDs" or like that, some should come up.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 4:58 pm 
Ninja Master

seitanicverses wrote:
A giant trampoline and a disco ball as a chandelier. This is my dream living room decor

Mine too! My friend has a trampoline in her back garden and every time we go up there we spend all day on the thing, it's awesome.

Make up blog: http://love-lipstick.blogspot.com
Food blog: http://alienontoast.blogspot.com
FB Page for both blogs: http://www.facebook.com/lipstickontoast

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:32 pm 
Dildo Queen

i had one for a couple of years. i'd put on some music and do like 500 jumping jacks on it. it was so much fun! and an easy, convenient workout. but then it broke :(

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:35 pm 
Spent a night at the Bates Motel

My sister had one, so naturally being a little sister I hijacked it and used it far more than she did. I loved it, but I found that if I jumped for a long time, my head started to hurt, but I was probably overdoing it. Have fun! Maybe I'll invest in one for myself and check out some actual work-outs for it.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 2:45 pm 
Tofu Pup

ahhh so my trampoline came wednesday as scheduled but its literally taken two days to put it together! my boyfriend (kind of? ha) and his roommate are going to man handle it into assembly tonight though. they did yesterday but because the bars werent aligned they couldnt put the bolts in =[ im so excited to try it! ahhh it feels like a disapointing christmas morning lol =)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 2:50 pm 
Thinks chickens are assholes

seitanicverses wrote:
Nummers wrote:

It's low impact because it's a soft landing--no hard surface landing shocks for the body to absorb so it's very easy on the joints.

It's only low impact if you have good muscle tone that can support the joints. Apparently people with certain medical conditions (which cause muscle fatigue/weakness) can develop joint problems rebounding.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:02 pm 
WRETCHED

2+ years and I'm resurrecting this thread!

I've been thinking about rebounding off and on for a couple years and today I've been researching a lot about trampolines. Anyone still actively doing it? I'm getting stability handles no matter what because I'm clumsy.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:24 pm 
Memorized Veganomicon

Wow, this would be awesome for my dance conditioning! Poor little bank account...

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:27 pm 
WRETCHED

I got mine today! Wow, just a few minutes and my legs were singing!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:06 pm 
WELFARIST!

I miss my mini trampoline! I might get one again and if I can't use it in my apartment, maybe take it to the fitness room downstairs and bounce like a five-year-old among the weight-lifting grunts.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 3:16 pm 
WRETCHED

Mine is bungee cords so its really quiet. I did it this morning for about 20 minutes but had to take frequent breaks. I hope to build up quickly.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 9:14 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

I am totally tempted to get one of these. I am wondering how loud it will sound to the people who live below me... I know that I can hear my upstairs neighbors all the time because the floorboards are kind of creaky, not sure if that's the case in our apartment since the floors were recently redone. Do you think there's a way to absorb some of the sound? Like putting it on a mat or something?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 7:38 am 
WRETCHED

It really depends, I think a thick exercise type mat would help absorb sound as they'd spread out the pressure. Mine is in our basement so no floorboards or anything to creak.

If you get one with springs, the springs would probably create noise. From what I can tell, there are two brands that have bungee cords, JumpSport (less pricey) and Bellicon (more pricey). I'd probably focus on one of those if you were concerned about noise.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:28 am 
WELFARIST!

I did have problems in my old apartment I guess with the force of my bouncing jarring the floorboards (building was built in 1955). I would put an underpad underneath the trampoline if you're living over someone because I didn't realize that it was vibrating the floorboards at all and it seemed really quiet to me. I had a spring one though but really, it wasn't that loud. But the neighbors complained and I bought something to put under it. Come to think of it, I think they still complained then. I don't think it was the springs, I think it was the force of the jumps and the residual impact carried through to the floorboards, type thing, that was the source of any noise problem in my case.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:45 pm 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

linanil wrote:
I got mine today! Wow, just a few minutes and my legs were singing!

If you don't mind - what kind did you get? I'd like to get a recommendation on one!