| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 4:27 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Interchangeable flours?
PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 4:04 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

I am working on gluten free baking and I am still trying to figure out all the different flours. The recipe I want to try calls for sorghum flour which I don't have yet. Can I switch it for anything?
I have; brown rice flour, xanatham gum, potato flour, tapioca, arrowroot. I have soy milk powder and coconut flour but i'm not sure if they are the same as the flours?
I also have spelt flour (I know it is not gluten free but I only have a sensitivity not an allergy)
Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Interchangeable flours?
PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 5:10 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

sorghum is a high protein seed, so it's best to substitute something similar like millet or quinoa. Chickpea or garfava might work, depending on the amount you need and flavor of the finished product.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 4:45 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

i agree with mittenmacher on choosing an alternative gf flour that's high in protein like the sorghum. if you have the recipe in grams you can weigh out your alternative flour for the same amount as originally called for and it should work just fine. flours are all different weights (the weights of gf flours also vary per brand) - so if you use weights for the recipes you can pretty much sub in a similar flour with good results if you use weight instead of measuring cups/"US units".

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:39 pm 
Saggy Butt

I have some similar questions and thought I'd post them here instead of making a new thread.

[these are all babycakes related q's]

some recipes call for a small amount of garbanzo/fava flour. is it possible to replace it with straight garbanzo flour, soy flour, or a combination thereof?

arrowroot. can it be subbed with tapioca or cornstarch?

recipes using rice flour say either white or brown. I have a big bag of brown rice flour that I haven't used, but I assumed it would taste too healthy for cookies and donuts. should I buy some white rice flour or just use the brown?

thanks guys!

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 10:01 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

lavegan wrote:
I have some similar questions and thought I'd post them here instead of making a new thread.

[these are all babycakes related q's]

some recipes call for a small amount of garbanzo/fava flour. is it possible to replace it with straight garbanzo flour, soy flour, or a combination thereof? I would just use garbanzo as I have never found fava here, but I you could choose another protein like sorghum, quinoa, millet or soy.

arrowroot. can it be subbed with tapioca or cornstarch? Yep, I use arrowroot and tapioca in place of each other.

recipes using rice flour say either white or brown. I have a big bag of brown rice flour that I haven't used, but I assumed it would taste too healthy for cookies and donuts. should I buy some white rice flour or just use the brown? I only ever use brown and I don't have any issues with it :)

thanks guys!

My replies to each q are in bold ;)