| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Nov 25, 2014 4:22 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Added gluten back to my diet
PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 7:41 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I was gluten free for 3-4 weeks, but I wasn't totally convinced that I was feeling any different. Three days ago, I accidentally ate chips containing malted barley with no noticeable reaction. So yesterday and today I had pancakes. I felt fine yesterday but a little weird today. We had tofurkey brats for dinner, and now I feel like I have the flu. Does this sound familiar at all? I'm so sick of trying to figure out what's wrong with me. Arrrg!

Post subject: Re: Added gluten back to my diet
PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 7:01 am 
Wrote Dissertation on Vegans, Meat, and the Deserted Island Question

I'm not gluten free (browsing for recipes!) but I have gone through my own journey with IBS and trying to work out sensitivities to particular foods. I feel your frustration, I went through it too.

Some people aren't celiac but they just don't feel well with more than a minimal amount of gluten, then there are some people who can do the barley/rye/spelt products but not the wheat. Have you been tested for celiac disease? They generally look at your small intestine to see if any of the villi have been damaged/destroyed, which occures when people with the disease consume gluten.

My doctor drew me a little diagram like this

And said that mine appeared normal.

It's important to be tested if you have a suspicion because eating gluten can damage your insides further if you have the condition. That being said, a lot of people who take part in this forum have been tested and found to be OK but still don't feel that well when they eat certain gluteny products, then it gets tricky and you may just decide to cut them out all together, or you could try maybe just eliminating wheat for a while and still eating those other products like the barley and the spelt? Some people feel like they have the flu, some get headaches, some get diarrhea, gas or constipation, people have a whole range of symptoms and as far as i know it isn't fully understood yet...I think there will be people who share your symptoms, so hopefully they will chime in with what helped them.

Hope you figure it out and feel better!

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 8:59 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Thanks.

I've actually tested negative for celiac and wheat allergy. I did find some experiences like mine on another website. I'm pretty convinced I need to cut out gluten again & have a little more patience this time.

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 1:30 pm 
Slept through a huge sale, OH NO!

creep wrote:
I'm pretty convinced I need to cut out gluten again & have a little more patience this time.

I would say so. I went 6 months without it and then I really did feel better. Alas, it is challenging to sustain.

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 1:46 am 

Oh that's awesome that you've already been tested, always good to check just in case. I'd probably give it longer, or try just wheat free like I mentioned earlier. You can always have a consultation with a registered dietitian as well if you feel you need it.

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 12:48 pm 
Bought 20lbs of vegan protein powder

creep wrote:
Thanks.

I've actually tested negative for celiac and wheat allergy. I did find some experiences like mine on another website. I'm pretty convinced I need to cut out gluten again & have a little more patience this time.

I tested negative to both too, but I definitely feel better without gluten in my life. I spoke to my new allergist about it and he said they could do an intestinal biopsy but that regardless, if I feel better not eating gluten, then I shouldn't eat gluten.

Also, yes - kind of flu like - that's how it made me feel sometimes. Exhausted too.

"It's because I'm judging them. Harshly. Judgey McJudgerson." - mel c

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 10:49 am 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

appifanie wrote:

I tested negative to both too, but I definitely feel better without gluten in my life. I spoke to my new allergist about it and he said they could do an intestinal biopsy but that regardless, if I feel better not eating gluten, then I shouldn't eat gluten.\

Thats what mine said. He said that he hoped I could eventually add it back. At this point, I am NOT comfortable with that concept! I was even having this bizarre rash on my face kind of like a cross between rosacea and hives, and real hives everywhere, and my hives are completely gone. The rash had gotten a lot better. Then I discovered the moisturizer I was using had wheat extract in it, and I've switched to another, wheat free version, rash is gone.

Sometimes, it takes a while for the body to respond. Not everyone has a dramatic overnight improvement. Its also important to make sure you are cutting out every source... there is a lot of hidden gluten out there.

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 10:14 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Turns out I was actually having a really nasty reaction to an antibiotic. I was in the hospital for 3.5 days.

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 2:02 am 

Oh no! Well glad you figured out what was going on! Feel better soon.