My close friend who is middle eastern gave up this recipe after a year of asking. That's right a year. We had this dip with gf pita bread that was toasted on the grill as well. I remember she had some greek yogurt too with dill and cucumbers chopped in. So great when you come across a dish/recipe that you never forget. This is one of my favs enjoy!
Grilled Tomato and Eggplant Dip Recipe
1 Eggplant (large or 2 small)
3 Heirloom Tomatoes (small)
4 Garlic Cloves
2 Tablespoons Parsley (chopped)
2 Tablespoons Cilantro (leaves only)
1 Tablespoon Lemon Juice
4 Tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
3 Teaspoons Sweet Smoked Paprika
1 Teaspoon Cumin
1. Grill the tomatoes and eggplant on a low fire grill for 40 minutes or until soft. This can be done in the oven, but you will not get the chargrilled flavor which is what this dip is all about.
2. Ounce grilled, chop and set aside.
3. Mash the garlic using some kosher salt and the back of your knife.
4. In a large pan, add olive oil, the chopped eggplant, tomato, parsley, cilantro, the mashed garlic, cumin, and paprika. Cook for 10 minutes.
5. Now add the lemon juice and season with salt/pepper. Serve hot or cold.