| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 2:45 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: recipes that you have successfully GF'd
PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:26 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

My recipe for Berry Muffins ( http://vforvegandetta.wordpress.com/2011/02/13/healthy-or-masochistic/ ) worked great as gluten-free muffins. All I did was substitute the WW pastry flour with Bob's Red Mill All-Purpose GF flour and added 3/4 teaspoon of xanthum gum.

Here's a picture of the gluten-free version:

Gluten-free Berry Muffin by crazygarbanzo, on Flickr

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:02 pm 
Bought 20lbs of vegan protein powder

i made the mac and trees with chickpea flour - twice now - good both times.

"It's because I'm judging them. Harshly. Judgey McJudgerson." - mel c

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 2:13 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I posted this on the v'con thread, but figured y'all would be more interested. I made the pumpkin baked ziti w/tj's brown rice fusilli, brown rice bread crumbs and navy beans (1.5 cups) subbed for the tofu in the cashew ricotta. It is fabulous!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 4:01 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I made the tomato-rosemary scones from VB over the weekend.

Flour mixture - 1.5 cups of this mix http://veg-am.blogspot.com/2008/12/all-purpose-gf-flour_06.html, 1.5 cups of sorghum flour and 3/4 tsp of xanthan. Everything else I did exactly as the recipe.

They weren't doughy or too dry. My sister and I just couldn't stay away from them. I didn't take pictures, but I'll try to when I make them next time.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 9:04 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

deearess wrote:

Flour mixture - 1.5 cups of this mix http://veg-am.blogspot.com/2008/12/all-purpose-gf-flour_06.html, 1.5 cups of sorghum flour and 3/4 tsp of xanthan. Everything else I did exactly as the recipe.

They weren't doughy or too dry. My sister and I just couldn't stay away from them. I didn't take pictures, but I'll try to when I make them next time.

Aw man, I want to make these but I can no longer find sorghum :( The Indian grocery I got it from hasn't had any in stock.

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 9:07 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Kitteh wrote:
deearess wrote:

Aw man, I want to make these but I can no longer find sorghum :( The Indian grocery I got it from hasn't had any in stock.

Can you get millet flour? That would probably be a decent sub.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 9:57 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Yup, I have millet flour! I will try that. I rang the Indian grocery, they said they'll try and get some in.

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 7:43 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I made them, they are excellent! I used 1.5 C brown rice, 1 C millet, 1/4 C of both tapioca & potato + 1 t xanthum. I don't think I like the taste of millet flour, I might try quinoa or amaranth if I can't find sorghum.

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 8:58 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Kitteh wrote:
I made them, they are excellent! I used 1.5 C brown rice, 1 C millet, 1/4 C of both tapioca & potato + 1 t xanthum. I don't think I like the taste of millet flour, I might try quinoa or amaranth if I can't find sorghum.

Yay! Glad you got to have them too.
Funny, I don't really taste millet flour, but am not a big fan of quinoa flour because I find it really strong.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 9:41 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

deearess wrote:
Kitteh wrote:

Yay! Glad you got to have them too.
Funny, I don't really taste millet flour, but am not a big fan of quinoa flour because I find it really strong.

You're not the only one, InTheMoodForNoodles doesn't like quinoa flour either but it doesn't bother me at all. Now I'm wondering if maybe my millet flour is old/off? It has a really distinctive smell and taste to me, I've noticed it in the chickpea cutlets but because of all the flavours it doesn't bother me once they're cooked.

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 11:01 am 
ol' garly cooch

i made kittee's carrot cake from PT without gluten with a crazy assed punk rock mix of quinoa, millet, rice, and ground up GF ice cream cone flour.

it totally worked.

in my most recent blog post (click on my www) i discuss my cookie dough bombs using CB very vanilla

for the cookie dough part, just mix 1c. brown rice flour, 3/4 c. turbinado, 1/2 c. melted EB, 1 t cinnamon, and 1/4 t vanilla. if the mixture is too crumbly, add some splashes of soy milk or your favorite GF milk in there until it resembles cookie dough. chill and roll out into circles. dollop small scoops of CB on discs.

very labor intensive project, but worth it. with more practice, these will get even better.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 1:56 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

Kitteh wrote:
bittofraw wrote:
Can you name some recipes that you have successfully gluten-freed? Like from some popular blogs or vegan recipe books. For example, I'd love to get Vegan Cupcakes or Vegan Cookies but not sure how they work out with gluten-free flour. Thank you!

VCTOTW includes 2 gluten free recipes which are always fantastic. And you can easily add other flavours to them so you don't just have to make vanilla or chocolate.

From VCIYCJ I have made the PB Oatmeal cookies but I used quinoa flakes instead of oats and I used brown rice, tapioca & potato flour.

I also made the Tahini Lime cookies with the same flours as well as the Citrus Glitters.

Dreena Burton's choc chip cookies always work gluten free as do the PPK Gingerbread cookies (in the recipe section of the homepage).

Hey kitteh, any tips for de-glutenizing the citrus glitters? I've got to make some gf cookies for an event this weekend, and I really want the cookies to be a delicious success... Esoecially because if they're good, there is a pretty good chance that I can help our local cookie shop develop some vegan and gf recipes! Thanks!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 6:08 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

ameyfm wrote:
Kitteh wrote:
bittofraw wrote:
Can you name some recipes that you have successfully gluten-freed? Like from some popular blogs or vegan recipe books. For example, I'd love to get Vegan Cupcakes or Vegan Cookies but not sure how they work out with gluten-free flour. Thank you!

VCTOTW includes 2 gluten free recipes which are always fantastic. And you can easily add other flavours to them so you don't just have to make vanilla or chocolate.

From VCIYCJ I have made the PB Oatmeal cookies but I used quinoa flakes instead of oats and I used brown rice, tapioca & potato flour.

I also made the Tahini Lime cookies with the same flours as well as the Citrus Glitters.

Dreena Burton's choc chip cookies always work gluten free as do the PPK Gingerbread cookies (in the recipe section of the homepage).

Hey kitteh, any tips for de-glutenizing the citrus glitters? I've got to make some gf cookies for an event this weekend, and I really want the cookies to be a delicious success... Esoecially because if they're good, there is a pretty good chance that I can help our local cookie shop develop some vegan and gf recipes! Thanks!

I used mostly brown rice flour with less tapioca & potato in equal amounts. I don't have the book in front of me, otherwise I could tell you how much. But I think the dough was quite wet and I had to add more flour because they were spreading/melting in the oven. I might have notes in my book, I'll check when I get home!

Definitely test bake a few before adding extra flour.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 11:46 am 
Wears Pleather Undies

I made the spaghetti and beanballs recipe from the Veganomicon using GF pasta and a GF flour blend in place of the vital wheat gluten and breadcrumbs for the beanballs and they came out really yummy! I baked instead of frying them, though I don't know if that made much of a difference, but they were really good!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 8:17 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I love making those bean balls! And your avatar is adorable.

I made the zucchini muffins from the first Babycakes cookbook. Instead of the 2 cups of spelt I used 1 cup chickpea, 1/2 cup brown rice, 1/4 cup of both tapioca and potato. I also used about 1/4 cup less agave because I ran out and canola instead of coconut oil. They were delicious and soft.

I made another batch yesterday, I left out the spices and added rosemary and some cooked onion. I left out the agave and increased the canola oil & rice milk by 1/4 cup each.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 3:52 pm 
Wears Pleather Undies

Sorry for the thread necromancy but OMG!!!! Today I made the Curried Udon Noodle Stir Fry from the Veganomicon with a few changes to make it GF:

I used wide flat rice noodles instead of udon (though you might be able to get GF Udon noodles, not sure)
I used chickpea flour instead of all purpose
GF soy sauce obviously
And I left out the seitan entirely but tofu would be PERFECT as a substitute
I don't eat sugar either so I used stevia instead

It was TO DIE FOR!!! I've always skipped this recipe before because of its gluten-ness but I'm so glad I decided to try making it gluten free because it was SO SO SOOO good! This is definitely going to be a staple from now on.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 4:29 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

That sounds delicious, Adrienne!

Two cakes that are easy peasy to degluten: Ginger Macadamia Coconut Carrot Cake from VWAV and the Chocolate Spice Cake with Dulce de Batata from Viva Vegan! They both turned out really well.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 10:42 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I made the vciycj graham crackers last week. Not perfect texture for rolling into perfect squares. But, I was able to cut out rounds. Since I was using them for a crust, it didn't matter what they looked like. The chocolate pudding pie in this crust was amazing.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 11:00 am 
Naked Under Apron

deearess wrote:
I made the vciycj graham crackers last week. Not perfect texture for rolling into perfect squares. But, I was able to cut out rounds. Since I was using them for a crust, it didn't matter what they looked like. The chocolate pudding pie in this crust was amazing.

that's awesome to know, deearess. what flours did you use? i cannot find xgfx graham crackers to save my life (they all have honey in them. blargh!) and i want to make peanut butter balls so badly. i don't need the crackers to look pretty either since i'll be whizzing them up in the food processor.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 11:16 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

happyfaced wrote:
deearess wrote:

that's awesome to know, deearess. what flours did you use? i cannot find xgfx graham crackers to save my life (they all have honey in them. blargh!) and i want to make peanut butter balls so badly. i don't need the crackers to look pretty either since i'll be whizzing them up in the food processor.

I'm thinking sorghum and arrowroot. I don't have my book here, but I'll double check. I did have to add a little xtra flour to the mix to get it rollable.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 3:43 pm 
Naked Under Apron

deearess wrote:
happyfaced wrote:
deearess wrote:

I'm thinking sorghum and arrowroot. I don't have my book here, but I'll double check. I did have to add a little xtra flour to the mix to get it rollable.

that would be awesome - thanks so much, deearess! i just started using sorghum flour a few months ago - it's one of my new favorites.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 2:05 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I made gf digestives today, they worked out ok plus I made the Linzertorte cookies from VCIYCJ with 1C brown rice and 1/4C of both potato and tapioca - they are delicious!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 10:14 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Graham cracker sub: I used 1 cup sorghum flour, 1/2 cup arrowroot
At that point it was too sticky to roll, but I don't add flour without chilling first because when i've done that, cookies end up too floury. So I chilled in freezer for about 1/2 hour. Still too sticky so I added 1:1 sorghum and arrowroot until it was rollable. Still didn't get it stiff enough to get perfect squares but I cut out circles and they worked just fine.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:40 am 
Naked Under Apron

deearess wrote:
Graham cracker sub: I used 1 cup sorghum flour, 1/2 cup arrowroot
At that point it was too sticky to roll, but I don't add flour without chilling first because when i've done that, cookies end up too floury. So I chilled in freezer for about 1/2 hour. Still too sticky so I added 1:1 sorghum and arrowroot until it was rollable. Still didn't get it stiff enough to get perfect squares but I cut out circles and they worked just fine.

this is so awesome, deearess - thanks for letting me know what 'cha did. i've been meaning to get some more sorghum flour for a few weeks now and now i'm gonna make it happen so i can make these for the peanut butter balls. wheeeeeeeeee!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 10:08 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

Reviving this old thread to say I've been making the VWAV Best Pumpkin Muffins with the gf flour blend from the Fork and Beans blog. I add 3 tsp of xanthan gum to the bulk mix recipe and everything I've tried has worked great!

Reply to topic  [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next