| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:18 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Will I ever be able to eat out again? (Million questions)
PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:51 pm 
Has Isa on speed dial

So I'm a sad newcomer to the gluten-free life. Sad to not be able to eat bagels, but relieved to finally know what's wrong with me. I'm aware that a lot of restaurants have special gluten-free menus that they'll bring to you in a little black binder if you request them, or can at least de-glutenize certain menu items if you ask. How common is this? What's the best kind of restaurant to go for if you're vegan and gluten-free? As a vegan I tend to gravitate towards Asian restaurants since I know they're more likely to have vegan options. But how easy/difficult is it to order something gluten-free? Do you find that restaurants tend to have wheat-free soy sauce on hand, or no? What about tempura, is that generally gluten-free? I'm okay with gluten-free at home, it's just that I'm concerned about being able to go out to eat with people.

Post subject: Re: Will I ever be able to eat out again? (Million questions
PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 11:22 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

Here in Portland, it seems like most vegan-friendly places are also gluten-free friendly. That overlap is really convenient sometimes, though I'm also aware that Portland has a whole lot of vegan-friendly and gluten-free friendly places compared to a lot of other cities. It's not like Cleveland is the middle of nowhere, though.

I did a little googling and glutenfreeincleveland.blogspot.com looks helpful--the blogger is vegetarian, not vegan, but it has restaurant reviews and stuff.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 7:37 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

What's been most helpful to me is to check out menus of favorite restaurants online ahead of time so you have an idea of what's available. Email them if you have to. So, when I go out to eat with friends we have a small (but growing) list of places that we know we can go and I know what menu items are options for me. Another important thing is don't ever be afraid to ask questions. You don't have to go to their restaurant and if they're not willing to answer questions, I don't go or dont go back.

Sometimes I get something that's fabulous at restaurants my friends love. Other times they make the choice based on what I want. Occasionally I just get a crappy salad or a cup of decaf and just enjoy the time. Food is good and it's important, but it's also important to remember the real reason you're with these people. It's because you want to spend time with *them* not with your plate.

I don't know about the wheat free soy sauce (but doubtful) because I'm also soy free. If you didnt call ahead or called and found out they don't have it, take your own bottle. I think tempura is traditionally made from wheat flour.

I'd say look around for non-chain restaurants where they use fresh ingredients because that way if it's not already vegan/gluten-free they have a much better chance of adjusting it for you.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:57 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

Sometimes chain restaurants can surprise you though! Like I know P.F. Chang's and Old Spaghetti Factory have vegan and gluten-free options if you ask.

You can also go to Yelp and search for gluten-free in reviews--I hope this link works http://www.yelp.com/search?find_desc=gl ... nd%2C+ohio

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:58 pm 
Has Isa on speed dial

So, deearess, may I ask, if you go into a Chinese restaurant, what do you order? Or are you not big on Chinese food?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 11:22 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I like Chinese food, but because I can't have soy either, I generally stay away. And ya know, come to think of it, I don't think any of my friends really like it. If I had to go, I'd probably see if they could stir fry some veg in oil and serve with rice. You might want to check for summer rolls - those are rice based and dont necessarily have to have soy.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 4:12 am 
Tofu Pup

I have also heard that if we have a celiace disease then we can't eat gluten foods for whole life . maybe in future we could be able to find some cure for this disease .

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 7:07 pm 
Saggy Butt

I've found several options in Toronto -- and vegan and veggie restaurants are a bit more aware in general, I've noticed. You can go Mexican if you get corn tortillas. You can go Thai or Chinese -- just ask about the sauces. Japanese has lots of GF choices. Many places do gluten-free pizza crusts or pastas. And any decent restaurant should be willing to answer questions for you. I think awareness is going up, partly because people have had to crack down due to serious food allergies, and establishments have gotten a lot more accommodating.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:06 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

I have found Japanese and Thai food have been remarkably friendly for gluten-/soy-free people. (Obviously no soy sauce at the Japanese places or fish sauce at Thai restaurants.) We can't have either, and I've never gotten sick that way.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 6:20 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Indian restaurants tend to have a ton of gluten-free (and soy-free) options, too!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 4:36 am 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

I feel your pain, still occasionally grief for gluteny stuff I cant have but it gets easier, I promise! I tend to stay away from Chinese restuarants, have been glutened too many times and just too tricky with sauces etc . I agree with lily that indian is great, as is mexican and most vegetarian restuarants of course.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:22 am 
ol' garly cooch

Hey y'all:

Just went to Holiday World in Santa Claus, IN. They have GF vegan options. I blogged about it in today's entry. Yay! Click the little www button below.

Fist Pump!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 12:30 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

jewbacca wrote:
Hey y'all:

Just went to Holiday World in Santa Claus, IN. They have GF vegan options. I blogged about it in today's entry. Yay! Click the little www button below.

Fist Pump!

That's awesome! I definitely wasn't aware of the existence of Ian's French Bread Pizzas until now. If you tried it, was it good?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 1:08 pm 
ol' garly cooch

It's your typical frozen pizza. It takes care of hunger, not bad on flavor, but I wouldn't want to eat it every day. Crust is really really chewy.