| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:33 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Ideas for freezer meals?
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:45 am 
And you never will.

Hiya! Some people from a local mothers group are getting together to do a freezer meal swap - basically everyone will make a huge batch of a casserole or whatnot to put in foil trays (one for each family participating), then everyone will swap and take one of each meal home. Sounds fun, right? Well, another mother and myself decided that since we both have dietary restrictions (she's gluten free, I'm vegan) that we would do our own mini-swap! We've managed to get a couple of other people involved too, and now I need some ideas for good freezer-friendly meals (preferably complete meals) that are gluten free.

So far I've thought of the old standby lasagna (with gf noodles of course). Does anyone know if moussaka would freeze well? Maybe the Tamale Pie from YRR?

I'd appreciate any ideas you might have! Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Ideas for freezer meals?
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:43 am 
Naked Under Apron

i'm not too sure if moussaka would freeze well, but i don't see why it wouldn't! i bet the Tamale Pie or a Shephard's Pie would freeze well.

tamales themselves freeze most excellently.

we have frozen Terry's Red Posole (Viva Vegan!) with great results and gumbos, too.

i know lasagna is an old standby, but it sure is a tasty one. i think it's because lasagna can be quite the process and it's nice when someone is willing to take those steps and make it for you. :)

gluten-free pot pie should freeze up most excellently as well.

oh, and what about a gluten-free pizza kit?!? you can make 2 dough balls and maybe make a little pesto for 1 crust and perhaps a nice red sauce for the other! daiya freezes well, too!

i hope this helps some - i'm sorry i don't have an overabundance of suggestions for you.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 6:12 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

Keep track of your bowel habits on your mobile device.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 11:22 am 
And you never will.

Thank you Jessy! After thinking about it a little, I think moussaka would be too labour intensive for the amount I would be making at one time. I love the idea of a pot pie, and the posole, and who doesn't love pizza?! I think I'm going to have a hard time deciding just one :)

HAMCAT wrote:
Keep track of your bowel habits on your mobile device.

Thank you for this well thought out response to my original post. However, I do not have a mobile device. Do you have another suggestion?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 2:59 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I make a moroccan style vegetable tagine (for which I don't yet have a written recipe - will be trying to get it written down during mofo) that freezes beautifully. Basically, it's a slow-cooked (in the oven) thick stew with spices in it. You can find basic recipes all over the internet I'm sure.

Bean burgers freeze.
When I make a batch of bbq sauce (and would probably work with most sauces), I like to freeze it in packages about the size I would use at a time(I think I did 1/2 cup servings - but it's just me).

So the other day, I pulled out a frozen burger, a thing of bbq sauce and made bbq corn tortilla pizzas topped with a little cheddar daiya. It wasn't a fully cooked meal, but it only took 5 -10 minutes to put together and then baking time. If y'all can agree on various meal components to make, that might be a good option too.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:17 pm 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

I have frozen chilli before too

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:34 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

Chili and soups could be great, with frozen corn muffins or something along those lines to crumble over it. I especially like white chili (no tomatoes, and using different white beans and white corn with veggies). Lentil soup is a classic and can be whole or pureed. All freeze well, I know because I cook for a family of one (it's just me!!) and I like variety so I freeze soups in old salsa jars and things then heat in the microwave. :D

“Everything in the world is beautiful, but Man only recognizes beauty if he sees it either seldom or from afar. Listen, today we are gods! Our blue shadows are enormous! We move in a gigantic, joyful world!”

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:37 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

A Thai coconut milk-based curry would be good too. Potatoes don't usually freeze well, but tofu and other veggies, in a nice spicy sauce... just freeze the rice separately.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:27 pm 
Writes Vegan Haiku

ScandinaVegan wrote:
A Thai coconut milk-based curry would be good too. Potatoes don't usually freeze well, but tofu and other veggies, in a nice spicy sauce... just freeze the rice separately.

I was going to suggest this too! I free alot of meals, mostly soups and curries. Chilis, bean soups, and vegetable soups do well. I also froze an asian soup once with tofu and rice noodles. The tofu looked weird but still tasted ok.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:30 pm 
Writes Vegan Haiku

Enchiladas freeze well. My favorite is a black bean and sweet potato filling.

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ]