| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:48 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: XGFX Starter Kit
PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 10:40 am 
Saggy Butt

My mom is going gluten free in January (she's already vegan) in hopes of easing some serious health issues (fibromyalgia, etc), and I'd like to get her some things to get her started. She loves oats, so I'm going to get her some certified GF ones. She probably won't do a lot of baking, as she's trying to avoid sugar, but might want to make burgers, etc. She's got chickpea and oat flour from my last visit - maybe potato starch? Trying to get as few things as possible, so as not to overwhelm her, but enough to give her options. Suggestions?

And why do there seem to be no xgfx cookbooks written by actual vegans?! Can't wait for Allyson's. I got her The Welcoming Kitchen, and was considering one more, either The Gluten-Free Vegan or The 100 Best Gluten Free Recipes for Your Vegan Kitchen (it does have one recipe with honey, but at least it's not half, like some of the others claiming to be vegan). Thoughts on those or others that would be better?

And if anyone has any success stories on how going GF helped with these kinds of autoimmune/inflammation issues, I'd love to hear them! I desperately hope this helps her. Thanks!

Post subject: Re: XGFX Starter Kit
PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 11:33 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

oh, you might wanna talk to Allyson as she has autoimmune/inflammation issues and the gluten-freee diet really helps her out. she has celiac disease as well, but it fo 'sho helps her out with the autoimmune/inflammation. i believe her e-mail address is on her website. i cannot wait for her book to come out either. i already pre-ordered it!

as for cookbooks, i never had success with the ones i have (babycakes, flying apron's first book), but oh - i DO have ricki's Good Morning! e-book and i would highly recommend it - she's vegan too & awesome. w00t!

potato & tapioca starches are good to have. that's great she has chickpea flour because i love it for a roux when making gravies and cheezy sauces. it's awesome in falafel and i adore socca.

we wrote up some xgfx baking tips here and there are some dining out tips here. oh, and i like katrina's "going gluten-free guide" (it's not vegan, but i like it & found it helpful).

if she's trying to avoid sugar she should really check out Ricki's site Diet, Dessert and Dogs. she's sugar-free too and uses natural sweeteners - it's pretty awesome!

a good gluten-free pancake/waffle mix might be good (i like Namaste's and use a flax egg) and for gluten-free pizza crusts i really like the King Arthur gluten-freee pizza crust mix (i just divide it up and use a third at a time for a personal pizza for myself).

i'm trying to think of anything else that would help her out...i'll brainstorm for a bit and get back with ya!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 11:37 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

This would take some work on your part, but it would be cool if you could do a little research of restaurants in her area and find out what they have on their menu that's xgfx vegan. Then give her a list. And a gift card if you want. Finding a restaurant I can actually order from is still one of the things that makes me happiest.

ETA: where is she? If it's somewhere one of us lives/has visited we might be able to help.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 11:54 am 
Saggy Butt

I actually have all Ricki's e-books except for the breakfast one! I'll get that for her, give her more options than oatmeal. I sent her links to a few good blogs: yours, Allyson's, Ricki's, and of course xgfx.org.

I'll check out Katrina's guide. I haven't spent much time on her site since she seems to use a lot of eggs, and I hate replacing them!

Thanks for the tips on the pancake/waffle and pizza crust mixes, I'll check those out.

She's in Middle Tennessee, near Nashville. Not a great area for vegans. She really likes Panera Bread, do they have good options? There's an app about gluten-free dining, but I don't know how vegan friendly it is. The same people also have an Is That Gluten Free? app that's $8, which seems high, so I'm not sure if it's worth it.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 11:56 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

just a heads up: the not-chicken & not-beef bouillon cubes are gluten-free, a big bottle of tamari or some coconut aminos might be a good buy for her, gluten-free miso, and i really like sweet rice flour (it's sticky and a good binder (so are flax eggs) in bean burgers).

i find that a lot of the recipes in Viva Vegan are easy to make gluten-free and the same with AFR - if she doesn't have them already.

tinkyada brown rice pasta is, in my opinion, the best gluten-free pasta out there (i never cook it for as long as they tell you do - just 9 minutes boiling and it's done). if she has a Trader Joe's near her they sell brown rice pasta for cheap and it's really yum, too.

and deearess's gluten-free chickpea cutlets are my new favorite. i made them over Vegan MoFo and make them all the time in nugget form.

the low-fat black bean soup at Panera is gluten-free.

i don't know how close she is to Nashville, but i found one place with a few tasty look'n xgfx options:
http://www.thewildcow.com/twc/menus/gluten-free-menu/

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 2:33 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I am gluten-free to help with my fibro symptoms (mostly muscle knots and pain). It's helped me X200202. Soy Curls work great in most recipes that call for seitan. I have a vegan and gluten-free ethiopian recipe zine available from my blog, and I'm vegan. Though ethiopian isn't for everyone. Oh! I also have The idiot's guide to vegan and gluten-free cooking checked out from the library, and while it's sorta meh to me, your mom might like it. there's even a xgfx seitan in the book.

i agree with happy faced about latin recipes. middle eastern are also pretty gluten-free friendly as are a lot of pan-indian recipes.

hope she feels better with this change!
xo
kittee

pakupaku
XGFX: Vegan Gluten-Free Stuff
"Stupid society. I'm gonna go put on bikini kill."~Susie Tofu Monster
"Kittee is wise. Listen to Kittee."~Aruna--> the PPKr currently known as mumbaikar

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 2:43 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Actually Akasha has an amazing idea. We should have a xgfx starter kit on xgfx.org.
xo
kittee

pakupaku
XGFX: Vegan Gluten-Free Stuff
"Stupid society. I'm gonna go put on bikini kill."~Susie Tofu Monster
"Kittee is wise. Listen to Kittee."~Aruna--> the PPKr currently known as mumbaikar

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 8:35 am 
Smuggling Raisins

YES! That would be amazing and so helpful!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 9:11 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

kittee wrote:
Actually Akasha has an amazing idea. We should have a xgfx starter kit on xgfx.org.
xo
kittee

i think so too, kittee!!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 10:17 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

happyfaced wrote:
and deearess's gluten-free chickpea cutlets are my new favorite. i made them over Vegan MoFo and make them all the time in nugget form.

the low-fat black bean soup at Panera is gluten-free.

hehe...I think you make them more than I do.
The black bean soup, really? Do you know about the soy in it?
The mango smoothie at panera is ok if you leave off the whip. But it's not low sugar.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 10:26 am 
Saggy Butt

I have your zines, kittee! I love Ethiopian food, but she's not too big on spicy stuff, so I don't think she'll go for it.

I know there are ebooks and zines written by vegans (I have most of them!), I was just annoyed that it seemed like nothing I could find on Amazon (she likes to use her Kindle) was. I did end up getting the Idiot's Guide one, it seemed like it had some good information, so hopefully she'll like it.

I should definitely get her some soy curls! She'll miss her Gardein most, I think.

Having a starter kit on xgfx.org would be great. I've followed you guys since the beginning, but I've spent a lot more time on there recently! It's a great resource, thanks to all of you who put it together.