| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 2:23 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: subbing for rice flour
PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 8:57 am 
Writes Vegan Haiku

Okay, here's my problem: I hate rice flour. Absolutely abhor it, and yet it seems to be in all of the gf mixes I can find. I just -- blech. It and I do not get along.

So, oh wise gf-ers who have come before me, what can I switch it out with?

Post subject: Re: subbing for rice flour
PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 8:57 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

http://www.myrealfoodlife.com/understan ... ee-flours/

Check that out--- a rather complete and useful look at what gluten-free flours work best as, or in place of. I for instance just used this to determine what I can use in place of brown rice flour, a medium flour, which ended up being sorghum flour (because of what I had on hand) but white rice and sweet rice flours are superfine and small so they'd need to be replaced with something else, with a more starchy feel. I agree about rice flour but I do think it lends itself well to completing a mixture of flours, if that's the only issue. I guess it's like anything, taste wins out.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:37 pm 
Huffs Nooch

Thanks fauxfrancais for the link - That blog and info is awesomely informational!

As for rice flour, I can understand how some people don`t like it, but I decided to try something over the top... Instead of using rice flour in some of my baked goods, I cooked some rice flour and blended it with a bit of other liquid in my recipe (while lowering the overall liquid quantity) and it had really cool results! The texture and flavor is different - Maybe not for everyone but it might be an okay alternative for you. I hope to master this new idea soon =3.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:56 am 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

Bob's red mill brand gf mix is rice-free, but some folks think it's a bit dense. I find it works well when paired with flavors that will dominate beany undertones, like pumpkin and ginger breads, and with chocolate.
Maninis all-purpose blend is reportedly fantastic. You can also try homemade mixtures built for your recipes. Also, just one or two flours will do for most non-bread recipes- I often just use whatever I have the most of, sorghum, millet, or coconut flour, with a starch (cornstarch, arrowroot, tapioca).

That said, are you sure you hate All rice flours? Rice flours are not created equal; each variety of rice- long grain, medium or short; brown, black, or white; waxy/glutinous or not- is distinct in function and taste.

That's a great link fauxfrancis, nice find! I would add to that list more varieties of rice flour, mung bean flour, white bean and other legume flours, cassava flour (Not the same as tapioca flour, though similar), yam flour (higher protein than cassava), plantain flour, sweet potato flour, montina flour and soy flour. Chestnut, water chestnut, and acorn flour also are helpful for some applications.

Ravenhood- there has been extensive research done on hydration of rice flour improving functionality (taste, volume and appearance) in baked goods, how awesome that you've discovered it independently!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 3:03 pm 
Memorized Veganomicon

i have nothing helpful to say but penny dreadful, i really love your avatar.

(formerly known as wintermitts)